Lexus LFA Non-Racing Cars Super Lap - Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit

• Thread starter et_
  • 293 comments
Haven't played much lately but the LFA in GT5 was a favourite so will give this one a try. Some of the reports on how the LFA handles make it sound interesting to say the least, but hey, soon get bored if they are too easy.
I'll be using Cargo's/Stotty's tune for my initial runs.
And hi everyone, see you on the track shortly.

Haven't played much lately but the LFA in GT5 was a favourite so will give this one a try. Some of the reports on how the LFA handles make it sound interesting to say the least, but hey, soon get bored if they are too easy.

Welcome back, Dalone 👍

You're more than welcome my friend. 👍 Congrats on the achievement, great job. 👍

Gave it a try today for almost one hour and thanks to your great tune and the very much appreciated advices from @Stotty I shaved a whole second. Currently just under 1:29 and sitting in 166th place in the world rankings. I've never been in such a good position 6 days after the event was started.

I owe you part of this achievement. I use to liked this TT events but in this one I felt that you're pushing me in the track. Also, while driving I tried to apply the advices from @Stotty, as in the old days while I tried to record some good laps at the Nordschleife.

So, big thanks to both of you for encouraging people to push their boundaries.

(and also to @et_ and @JogoAsobi for running this threads the last months. I wasn't posting on them but I followed. Great work done. Much appreciated.)

EDIT: currently I set a 1:28.685 lap worth to be at 101st world position. Never have been that high.

Last edited:
40 min session 1:30.689 this car is a bugger! Was up with numbnuts and ripper half way a mucked up grr should get into the 29`s

Update 1:29.862...... 1:29.524.......1:29.368

If i can crack the 29`s i`ll be happy

Last edited:

'Interesting' indeed. ;) Especially on this track. Welcome back, mate.

I take back my lfa hate, as it was all based on the nurb edition. The standard l a handles miles better. In 2 laups it dropped me from 3000 to 900, but god does the nurb version suck.

I've now run a 1:28.684 lap with the 2010 LFA tuned by @GTP_CargoRatt (thanks:tup:).

EDIT: currently I set a 1:28.685 lap worth to be at 101st world position.

Yikes^^^^^^ too close for comfort:nervous:..............must find more pace.

I'll give the 2012 Nurburgring LFA another try.........

After many more miles and numerous rear-ward off-track excursions: a 1:28.588 lap!:)

Now I have a decent cushion, nearly a full tenth!!!:nervous::):D

Great fun!
See you on the track!
GTsail

I've now run a 1:28.684 lap with the 2010 LFA tuned by @GTP_CargoRatt (thanks:tup:).

After many more miles and numerous rear-ward off-track excursions: a 1:28.588 lap!:)

Great fun!
See you on the track!
GTsail

You're welcome and congrats on the lap. 👍 Good luck on future improvement. :cheers:

Spent a couple of hours on this tonight, trying to dial out the brake release oversteer. Tried some ballast which does work, but creates too much understeer in the faster corners. Ended up with brakes at 6 1, which works and allows lsd decel to be reduced to 5.

Means you can't trail brake, but less decel means more rotation.

Improved to 1'27.395, but can go a good deal faster as that lap jas a big slide in the middle and was set with only 575 ppts (hadn't noticed the oil had gone).

Great combo 👍

Last edited:
Spent a couple of hours on this tonight, trying to dial out the brake release oversteer. Tried some ballast which does work, but creates too much understeer in the faster corners. Ended up with brakes at 6 1, which works and allows lsd decel to be reduced to 5.

Improved to 1'27.395, but can go a good deal faster as that lap had a big slide in the middle and was set with only 575 ppts (hadn't noticed the oil had gone).

OMG! Great lap @Stotty :bowdown:

I only wish I could control the LFA well enough to perform all the steering inputs that you mention.👍

I usually count myself lucky if I'm able to run a full lap at these speeds without an off-track excursion.:ouch:

Well done!:cheers:

GTsail

Last edited:
@Stotty great lap either way!:cheers:

I might try your tuning suggestions and see if they help me at all. I'm trail-braking heavily nearly the entire lap to keep the rear of the LFA under control. It certainly would be nice to get off the brakes for some of the lap, though I suspect that I will injest substantial quantities of sand and grass in my efforts to go faster!

See you on the track!
I'll be in the car that's up against the armco on the outside of turn one!
GTsail

Last edited:

Great fun!
See you on the track!
GTsail

I'm glad that you've found the pace. :cheers: Tomorrow in the lunch break I'll have another opportunity to catch you, but I must admit that I have trespassed my limits a few thenths ago :lol:. Tomorrow I'll try Stotty's tune, just to see how it works with my driving style.

After 1/2 hour I managed to complete a lap...1:31.9, oh well it's a start.
Couldn't get Cargo's gears at all so used stock gears but will try some others after and try and match them.
And thanks for the welcome home, cheers everyone, my next beer is for you.

Welcome back Dalone, good to see you back in the mix. 👍 Good luck to you and hope you meet or exceed your goals here. :cheers:

Oh dear, I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Tuning Forums. I am sure it will be relocated if incorrect.:)

Lexus LFA '10 - time of 1.33.162 lap 3 after this final tune.

I am usually around 33,XXX ranking but to my shock, especially at around 6am this morning, this put me up to 11,783rd, lol.

This is a balanced setup for those who prefer such a handling package, especially when using a wheel.
I use a scratch built sim-rig fitted with a G27 kit, and have 50% brake travel, enabled via a rubber pad beneath the pedal arm gear rack.

Being an old hand at real word, club level road racing back in the day('70s to '80s), I am the first to admit that I am not fond of excessive tarmac drifting, although I do admire the ability of those who perform it well.

Power and Parts Details:
580PP, 674bhp, 1268kgs weight, 50:50 weight balance, 56kfgm torque and 1.88kg/bhp.
Brake kit
Full Suspension
Custom Transmission, but no clutch or prop shaft upgrade.
Custom Diff
Engine stage 3
Computer
Racing Exhaust
Weight reductions to stage 3 + window reduction.

Suspension Settings:
Brake balance: 6 / 6
Ride Height (F/R): 85 / 85
Spring Rate (F/R): 9.50 / 12.00
Dampers compression (F/R): 5 / 3
Dampers extension (F/R): 6 / 10
Anti-Roll Bars (F/R): 1 / 1
Toe Angle (F/R):-0.10 / -0.10

Transmission:
Initial final of 4.25; speed at 249mph
1st Gear= 3.040
2nd Gear= 2.600
3rd Gear= 1.480
4th Gear= 1.180
5th Gear= 0.975
6th Gear= 0.835
Final ratio= 4.25
Drivetrain (LSD): Initial(torque)= 10, Acceleration(torque)= 15, Braking Sensitivity (Engine)= 40.

Ballast of 50kgs at -37% position.

TCS at 3 and ABS at 1, no other aids.

I am still fiddling with this tune and later this morning I snagged a 1.31.5, but this was in Arcade TT.
Late braking is possible everywhere except on the crests along the straight.
As has been stated in this thread, brake early before T1 and feather the throttle over the crest.
Light and rapid brake pedal pumping will assist the ABS, but I don't know if this is possible with full pedal travel.
Smooth acceleration delivers plenty of grip from corner apexes and through the aprons.

I hope someone finds my first tuning post of benefit. :cool: Cheers all!

I am going to snap! I just spent about 20 minutes spinning out, sliding off the track and crashing into walls. On my first clean lap I bettered my time by a full second! I back out of the track and I get a message saying that the server is undergoing maintenance and it can't register my time... I hope that I don't lose this time because of this... I really don't feel like putting any more time into this event. :banghead::grumpy:🤬

Oh dear, I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Tuning Forums. I am sure it will be relocated if incorrect.:)

Lexus LFA '10 - time of 1.33.162 lap 3 after this final tune.

I am usually around 33,XXX ranking but to my shock, especially at around 6am this morning, this put me up to 11,783rd, lol.

This is a balanced setup for those who prefer such a handling package, especially when using a wheel.
I use a scratch built sim-rig fitted with a G27 kit, and have 50% brake travel, enabled via a rubber pad beneath the pedal arm gear rack.

Being an old hand at real word, club level road racing back in the day('70s to '80s), I am the first to admit that I am not fond of excessive tarmac drifting, although I do admire the ability of those who perform it well.

Power and Parts Details:
580PP, 674bhp, 1268kgs weight, 50:50 weight balance, 56kfgm torque and 1.88kg/bhp.
Brake kit
Full Suspension
Custom Transmission, but no clutch or prop shaft upgrade.
Custom Diff
Engine stage 3
Computer
Racing Exhaust
Weight reductions to stage 3 + window reduction.

Suspension Settings:
Brake balance: 6 / 6
Ride Height (F/R): 85 / 85
Spring Rate (F/R): 9.50 / 12.00
Dampers compression (F/R): 5 / 3
Dampers extension (F/R): 6 / 10
Anti-Roll Bars (F/R): 1 / 1
Toe Angle (F/R):-0.10 / -0.10

Transmission:
Initial final of 4.25; speed at 249mph
1st Gear= 3.040
2nd Gear= 2.600
3rd Gear= 1.480
4th Gear= 1.180
5th Gear= 0.975
6th Gear= 0.835
Final ratio= 4.25
Drivetrain (LSD): Initial(torque)= 10, Acceleration(torque)= 15, Braking Sensitivity (Engine)= 40.

Ballast of 50kgs at -37% position.

TCS at 3 and ABS at 1, no other aids.

I am still fiddling with this tune and later this morning I snagged a 1.31.5, but this was in Arcade TT.
Late braking is possible everywhere except on the crests along the straight.
As has been stated in this thread, brake early before T1 and feather the throttle over the crest.
Light and rapid brake pedal pumping will assist the ABS, but I don't know if this is possible with full pedal travel.
Smooth acceleration delivers plenty of grip from corner apexes and through the aprons.

I hope someone finds my first tuning post of benefit. :cool: Cheers all!
You have posted your tune in the right place, Welcome Fludmasta :cheers:

Improved to 1'27.395, but can go a good deal faster as that lap jas a big slide in the middle and was set with only 575 ppts (hadn't noticed the oil had gone).

Great combo 👍
About brake release oversteer. I'm using some rear toe (20 or something) and as long as I feather the brakes there's no problem, but if I slam them or just release too quick it's gonna spin me off the road. But yeah, I'm not very good at this, it took me couple of days just to figure how to be fast on that turn 1... I'm over a secon behind you, insane lap mate 👍

LFA.jpg

So, I can save my replay and whatnot, but because the servers came down for the v1.13 update my time couldn't be posted. I know I'm not anywhere near the top times in this thread, but it was a big improvement over the first time I posted. I would have climbed up my friend's list quite a bit if this time got uploaded to the GT6 servers. Oh well...I'm done with this event. Good luck everyone!

@Stotty great lap either way!:cheers:

I might try your tuning suggestions and see if they help me at all. I'm trail-braking heavily nearly the entire lap to keep the rear of the LFA under control. It certainly would be nice to get off the brakes for some of the lap, though I suspect that I will injest substantial quantities of sand and grass in my efforts to go faster!

See you on the track!
I'll be in the car that's up against the armco on the outside of turn one!
GTsail

Just checking... when you say trail brake do you mean the following; braking all the way to the apex, gradually reducing brake pressure as you turn?

I'm finding it very difficult to trail brake on this one, and I'm having most success getting my braking done almost 100% in a straight line, then coasting to the apex... reminds me a bit of GT5.

Just checking... when you say trail brake do you mean the following; braking all the way to the apex, gradually reducing brake pressure as you turn?

I'm finding it very difficult to trail brake on this one, and I'm having most success getting my braking done almost 100% in a straight line, then coasting to the apex... reminds me a bit of GT5.
Why you're not using rear toe to control brake lift off oversteer?? Is there a downside?

ODB
Why you're not using rear toe to control brake lift off oversteer?? Is there a downside?

I approach tuning in 3 phases... entry, mid corner and exit.

If at all possible, I want to avoid using +ve rear toe to control the entry phase... it does work, but then you have a car that increasingly wants to understeer in the mid and exit phases... which makes the car safe to drive, but kills your exit speed.

It's the same with LSD decel... always want to run the minimum possible (ideally 5) as this also kills rotation mid corner when you're coasting and waiting to get back on the gas.

So I normally set rear toe and LSD decel to minimum and then use brake balance to control the entry phase - and combine this with some sort of negative rake to get the rotation.

The best place to feel this on this combo is in the fast (3rd/4th gear corners) on the back half of the track... adding +ve rear toe or LSD decel to the tune to control the brake off oversteer going in means the car then understeers more mid corner, killing exit speed and ruining lap times.

With this car (for me at least) the benefit of having a brake balance that allows deep trail braking (say 5,7) is off set by how accurate you need to be on the brake release to avoid the rear sliding... it's possible to do, but I'm personally just not a good enough driver to manage this with any consistency and end up crashing far too much... someone like @eclipsee or @Rajman may have a more balanced bias as they are just more skilled.

Other tuners may have a different philosophy!

I approach tuning in 3 phases... entry, mid corner and exit.

If at all possible, I want to avoid using +ve rear toe to control the entry phase... it does work, but then you have a car that increasingly wants to understeer in the mid and exit phases... which makes the car safe to drive, but kills your exit speed.

It's the same with LSD decel... always want to run the minimum possible (ideally 5) as this also kills rotation mid corner when you're coasting and waiting to get back on the gas.

So I normally set rear toe and LSD decel to minimum and then use brake balance to control the entry phase - and combine this with some sort of negative rake to get the rotation.

The best place to feel this on this combo is in the fast (3rd/4th gear corners) on the back half of the track... adding +ve rear toe or LSD decel to the tune to control the brake off oversteer going in means the car then understeers more mid corner, killing exit speed and ruining lap times.

With this car (for me at least) the benefit of having a brake balance that allows deep trail braking (say 5,7) is off set by how accurate you need to be on the brake release to avoid the rear sliding... it's possible to do, but I'm personally just not a good enough driver to manage this with any consistency and end up crashing far too much... someone like @eclipsee or @Rajman may have a more balanced bias as they are just more skilled.

Other tuners may have a different philosophy!

Ok thanks for the answer!!I think I was detecting that mid corner understeer but frankly that tail flying out all the time was such a huge issue I had to apply some rear +toe just to get it under some sort of control. And these things come up pretty simple when reading tuning guides but it just ain't that simple, although I finally start to have some sort of idea how to mod some tunes but people are coming up with such different setups that it's a total mystery what they're doing. Maybe I should desert these ready tunes and just find the way... I just don't want to get out my comfort zone :scared:

I think I try it out without that rear toe and see what I can do by adjusting just brakes and opening the lsd decel (or maybe just leave it to keep more control) I think I started to have some sort of touch to this combo yesterday... It's like I've been tuning my body and head for couple of days just to get used to this low grip fast speed action :boggled:

EDIT: and yeah, I think a part of this snap oversteer issue is that now I'm driving car with as soft front spring as they get, and ride height all the way up so on braking all the weight just flies to front and after brake release all the weight transfer really suddenly to rear causing all sorts of trouble... I mean what does it help to have such soft front? Is it necessary for some reason? I know you didn't make the tune, just asking for opinion to get some sort of idea what's that all about

And @GTP_CargoRatt damn you must have some sensitive braking foot, I've been basically practicing on my braking using your tune, I mean it's super sensitive and I can almost control the amount that the nose drops, if I'm really careful... Is that the idea on that really soft front, to have ultimate control on the cars nose?

Last edited:

I'm finding it very difficult to trail brake on this one, and I'm having most success getting my braking done almost 100% in a straight line, then coasting to the apex

I am braking pretty much all the way to just before the apex of every corner.

I'm still on the throttle going into the corner as I begin to apply the brakes. I'm then easing off the throttle as I get to the apex of the corner (and hopefully have the LFA's rear under control):eek: And usually, I ease off the brakes as I get to the apex so I can coast around the apex just for a bit. I would say that while I begin my braking while going straight, I'm still braking as I enter each turn. I guess I'm dragging the brakes (and dragging the throttle) to keep the rear of the LFA under control.

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
I am braking pretty much all the way to just before the apex of every corner.

I'm still on the throttle going into the corner as I begin to apply the brakes. I'm then easing off the throttle as I get to the apex of the corner (and hopefully have the LFA's rear under control):eek: And usually, I ease off the brakes as I get to the apex so I can coast around the apex just for a bit. I would say that while I begin my braking while going straight, I'm still braking as I enter each turn. I guess I'm dragging the brakes to keep the rear of the LFA under control.

Respectfully,
GTsail

That's trail braking with throttle overlap 👍

Not a realistic technique, but a good way of helping to manage weight shifts that happen during braking in GT6.

ODB
and yeah, I think a part of this snap oversteer issue is that now I'm driving car with as soft front spring as they get, and ride height all the way up so on braking all the weight just flies to front and after brake release all the weight transfer really suddenly to rear causing all sorts of trouble... I mean what does it help to have such soft front? Is it necessary for some reason? I know you didn't make the tune, just asking for opinion to get some sort of idea what's that all about

To be honest, I haven't tried a stiffer front spring yet (though I have tried harder dampers/ARBs)... soft front springs tend to work fin GT6 and I primarily use LSD/Toe/Ride Height to get a balance I like and then rely on time improvement through better lines/steering/brake inputs (it's easy to spend too much time fiddling with the tune when simply driving better wil lead to different results).

Also... I'm not sure just how GT6 weight transfer works with raised front ride... I would expect a car with max front/min rear to understeer horrendously off the brakes or on the gas, but you get the opposite in the game :lol: So not sure if you can think rationally about this in relation to brake off oversteer!

Last edited:
Back