List of cars that shouldn't even be in this game.

  • Thread starter Thread starter kdryan
  • 201 comments
  • 14,826 views

Which of these cars are suitable for racing?

  • Volvo 240GL Wagon

    Votes: 36 10.1%
  • '88 Honda Accord 4 Door

    Votes: 19 5.3%
  • i-Miev

    Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Honda Fit Mini-Van

    Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Suzuki Swift

    Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Suzuki Swift

    Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Kubelwagen

    Votes: 22 6.2%
  • Volkswagen New Beetle

    Votes: 15 4.2%
  • Karmann Ghia

    Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Volkswagen Bus

    Votes: 13 3.7%
  • You can race them all

    Votes: 185 52.0%

  • Total voters
    356
Actually, yes he does. I too am firmly in the "its a driving game not a racing game" camp, as are alot of other people, including Polyphony Digital. Clearly you're not. There are plenty of other games featuring nothing but race cars, if that's your thing. I play the GT series for its variety and I'd appreciate it if you and everyone else quit trying to take that away by misrepresenting the community as haters of all things slow. I love my Prius, i-MiEV, assorted Kei and classic cars goddamnit.

So tell me then; when are you in the car with it moving that you are not on a racetrack?

If it were a driving simulator, it would be an open world sim like Flight Simulator where you could fly to any airport in the world, land, then fly somewhere else. The use of the term 'Driving Simulator' is not meant that you putter around looking at scenery. It means 'as in driving a race car!' If you want to drive around all day doing nothing, try Flight Simulator out. There is an entire subset of developers that make cars for it, the roads are accurately placed and you can even stop at McDonald's.

RACING!
 
So tell me then; when are you in the car with it moving that you are not on a racetrack?
Does moving on a race track matter? There are several elements in the game that are non-racing elements. The presence of these things would indicate that racing is just one part of the game.

1) You can go to any track at any time and drive by yourself
2) Many of the license test events are not racing events
3) Photo mode is a non-racing element
4) The museum is a non-racing element
5) GTAuto is a non-racing element
6) B-spec is definitely outside of what most people would call traditional racing, and that's half of the entire racing career mode

I'm not sure the game is exactly what you think it is. If you want to figure out what the game is supposed to be, you'll have to drop the notion that it's all about racing.
 
Considering there isn't any lakes or ponds to drive the Schwimwaggen through, I don't quite see the point of it. It's like showing off your antique scuba diving gear at a fashion show for winter. Don't quite understand how it was so important to the game that they spent possibly months rendering it over more iconic and legendary automobiles that are more relevant to not only automobile history but to the game itself. They could've just thrown it into that really pretentious car muesem thing that I've never looked into (both out of fear of losing my game and because it just seems boring as hell).

I can appreciate a little history and in fact that was one thing I really enjoyed about GT4. It was cool seeing the driver operate these ancient cars from the early 1900s. BUT they didn't exactly stick to that formula. Instead what we have in GT5 is a really tacky car list that is either bloated with far too many variations of the same thing or rittled with some pretty outside-the-box choices that miss the mark completely.

If they wanted to pay tribute to the more odd ball things done throughout automobile history, they could've always released some DLC or thrown it into the Car muesem but things like this should've never had any kind of priority over the very cars, ideas, and concepts that forged the industry into what it is today. Passion for cars is one thing but just really pretentious designing is another.

Fiat 500... FINE, I can get behind that. Schwimmewaggon?? Uhhhh, don't quite get it but THIS MUST BE PASSION! lol. Oh GT5 forum, you LOL me so.
 
How about the dozens of variations of the skyline or s2000?Pointless.
The rest im ok with.They are cars and can be raced,some of which are quite fun.I think the poll speaks for itself.
I just wish the game included my old schoolbus the 2001 Nissan Urvan. :sly:
 
Last edited:
the only cars I can think of that shouldn't be in the game are:
- Formula GT
- Formula 1
- X2010

But that's just my opinion, I like racing street cars :D
 
Last edited:
kdryan
So tell me then; when are you in the car with it moving that you are not on a racetrack?

If it were a driving simulator, it would be an open world sim like Flight Simulator where you could fly to any airport in the world, land, then fly somewhere else. The use of the term 'Driving Simulator' is not meant that you putter around looking at scenery. It means 'as in driving a race car!' If you want to drive around all day doing nothing, try Flight Simulator out. There is an entire subset of developers that make cars for it, the roads are accurately placed and you can even stop at McDonald's.

RACING!

The simple fact that there are non-racing cars in the game should be your first clue. Do you think they put them in by accident? I fear you're not only missing my point, but the entire point of the game; that there is fun to be had in driving any car. Yes, even those with less than 500 horsepower.
 
The simple fact that there are non-racing cars in the game should be your first clue. Do you think they put them in by accident? I fear you're not only missing my point, but the entire point of the game; that there is fun to be had in driving any car. Yes, even those with less than 500 horsepower.

But it's been shown that pretty much every car in the game has a racing equivalent. Even the Volvo wagon, which came as quite a shock to me.

The idea that this is anything but a racing game is patently ludicrous and I'm not going to argue it any more. If you want to pretend it's not, that's you bag. It was marketed as a racing game, every other game in the series is about racing, the main focus is racing, and that is that.

It's stupid to think otherwise, even if you do want to twist one poorly chosen word in the title.
 
For the poll, you forgot the category, "All of these cars suck at racing and shouldn't be here". :D
 
kdryan
But it's been shown that pretty much every car in the game has a racing equivalent. Even the Volvo wagon, which came as quite a shock to me.

The idea that this is anything but a racing game is patently ludicrous and I'm not going to argue it any more. If you want to pretend it's not, that's you bag. It was marketed as a racing game, every other game in the series is about racing, the main focus is racing, and that is that.

It's stupid to think otherwise, even if you do want to twist one poorly chosen word in the title.

I'm not twisting a thing. In fact, I never mentioned the title. My argument, if you will, is based on the history of the franchise, not it's title. Altho, your point is sound, even if its not in your favor.

Kaz and PD have long used the GT series to make the statement that driving just about anything can be fun; a point that I've taken to heart.

You don't get it. Fine. Quit trying to ruin it for those who do.
 
Strange because they state it as driving simulator and not just a racing game!
Besides, whatever is on wheels can become a racing medium!
 
@kdryan: You sound (!) like GT5 is your first GT game. GT is about driving, but this Leveling-system now forces you to race for certain cars. (That was not needed in GT1/2/3/4 just the licenses)
And this ("And that´s the truth because StoneCold said so") is not a good way to have a discussion xDD

Every Car deserve its spot, if there is a car you don´t like there are 1033 (!!!!!) others to play with.
 
It is, but it probably won't be my last. Even as screwed up as this game has been, it is awesome. :)
 
I agree with you mate, some of these cars are a tad silly, I know some people like to think this is a car game for all cars and that automattically means, "Slower cars get prioroty" which is a massive joke, poeple use slower cars IRL WHY OH WHY whould you wona crawl around a racing track on a game ?

100mph Drifting is where its at, in a 400bhp S15 RM, not a Dihatsu Move Mini-van. Because that is boring and far to "everyday".

You make a game for fun, not just to replcate the slow boring real life some people have in there slower cars.
 
I once read somewhere (yes, some gaming nerds do read:D) that the Gran Turismo games were supposed to be like some sort of big car encyclopedia and not just a racing game, still like it
 
I once read somewhere (yes, some gaming nerds do read:D) that the Gran Turismo games were supposed to be like some sort of big car encyclopedia and not just a racing game, still like it

If that's so, then they're doing a terrible job of it. I would bet Skylines, Miatas, and GT-Rs make up at least 1/4 of the cars available. If you're going to have crappy cars, Americans got just as screwed as they did with race cars. How about an 88 Celebrity Eurosport or a Cavalier Z24? I don't know European cars, but I'll bet they got just as screwed on their crap cars, even with 30 different Audi's.

Yugo, anyone?
 
I only use about 10 different cars, S15 RM , efini RX7 , RX8 , FT-86 G Sports .... They are the cars I use....

I also wouldnt complain about using the 350 and 370z, but thats roughly where my car usage would end. No other cars are 'what I want in a car' as a drifter.

1000+ cars ftw, I use them all to good effect.
 
The idea that this is anything but a racing game is patently ludicrous and I'm not going to argue it any more. If you want to pretend it's not, that's you bag. It was marketed as a racing game, every other game in the series is about racing, the main focus is racing, and that is that.

It's stupid to think otherwise, even if you do want to twist one poorly chosen word in the title.
Couldn't care less about the title. What I see every time a fire up the game (daily) is something that isn't strictly about racing.

You asked the question about all the cars that, to you, don't apparently belong in the game. This represents 50% of the game -- a huge amount of content that doesn't seem to be racing oriented. But you insist that, even though you don't understand what the other 50% is for, that this can only be a racing game.

Try considering that racing is just an important part of the game, but it's only one part.
 
The game has 34 Miatas. 34.

Same with several other cars that are endlessly rehashed. "Over 1000 cars" is a flat out lie. If a store advertised 100 different varieties of fruit, and you went in and there were 99 apples and one banana, would you think they were justified in their claim?

As for including odd cars or ones that aren't normally raced, I see no problem with it.

That is all.
 
They all belong. They're cars.

👍 +∞

Let's face it.
There's going to be cars every player will and will not like.
I personally could do without the hundreds of 'almost duplicate' cars in the game (like the same year variations of the Miata, MX-5, and Eunos Roadster), and would rather see a much more diverse selection of muscle cars (like the AMC Javelin), exotics (like the Koenigsegg CCX or CCR), and an expansion into the SUV realm (like the BMW X5 or Mercedes-Benz G550.)
We can question the car choices in the game ad nauseum, or we can enjoy the game.

If you're out to collect all the cars in the game like I am (although I don't see it like I'm playing 'Pokemon' where I gotta have them all), if you don't like the car you can get the car and let it sit in your garage.

If you just want the cars you like, just get the cars you like - regardless of omissions.

It's really that simple. (Just saying.)

Peace...
 
Volvo is just raw. drifts like a dream and with 310hp you can win the super gt in the thing.👍
 
GT was obviously heavily influenced by Best Motoring, which had been around for at least 5 years when gt1 was released. Gt's foundation is that of road cars being raced in small numbers in short races, this is no coincidence. Gt has never truly attempted to simulate real racing series' despite having acquired a few licenses, hence it's ridiculous treatment of nascar and wrc, and imo this is indicative of the 'driving simulator' philosophy.

Anything goes in gt, so you can expect to see odd and weird stuff amongst the full on lemans winning racers, just as you will see best motoring testing a lemans nsx turbo one minute and racing a field of Daihatsu midgets the next.
 
Last edited:
Well, after reading this I think that it's going to be impossible to decide until it is decided what kind of game this is. That of course will never be agreed on.
From a Gran Turismo 2 interview:
"We are planning to have as many cars as possible, " Yamauchi explains, "with as many American and European cars as we possibly
can. We are also planning to have at least 20 tracks in here too, including dirt tracks. The long-term plan is to make GT more than just a game, I want it to become an encyclopedia of cars--not just for everday cars, but also for motorsport vehicles. We are moving toward this goal, and GT2 is well on the way to achieving this.

From a 1Up Preview discussing GT5: Prologue.
Even back in 2001, one of the Gran Turismo's ultimate goals was to become more than a game; it aimed to be an encyclopedia of cars.

There we go. It is Kazunori Yamauchi's creation, he has an ultimate goal in mind, which includes all the cars you wish to complain about. Your wants do not matter. That you bought the game without knowing this in advance tells me that you may not have played a GT game before and you are now whining because GT5 does exactly what the series has been doing for over 10 years.

[/thread]

If that's so, then they're doing a terrible job of it. I would bet Skylines, Miatas, and GT-Rs make up at least 1/4 of the cars available. If you're going to have crappy cars, Americans got just as screwed as they did with race cars. How about an 88 Celebrity Eurosport or a Cavalier Z24? I don't know European cars, but I'll bet they got just as screwed on their crap cars, even with 30 different Audi's.

Yugo, anyone?
So, you fully understand what goes into making a game of this scope and know for a fact that a conscious decision was made to include a lot of Skyline and Miata variations at the cost of not including something like Porsche or even an 88 Celebrity Eurosport.

To quote Yamauchi again:
We are moving toward this goal,

AKA, it has not been achieved, and he knows it. He doesn't need the Interwebs to tell him.


Then, even if you think this is supposed to be a racing game, what is wrong with any of the cars? I can tell you right now that if it were owned by a teenager at any point in history it has been raced. I for one know what it is like to race an 85 Plymouth Horizon and 88 Buick Somerset. I know that the Horizon can break 100mph and that the Somerset's digital speedometer just starts flashing at you at 85mph. I also know that both can get air time under the right conditions, but they aren't rally cars.

Any vehicle can be raced. So, even if you are determined this is a racing game, any car can be used. In the history of GT I have had station wagon races, SUV races, and various other things that just seemed silly. Why? Because they were there and can be raced.

Nothing you say seems to hold up as more than personal opinion. Yamauchi wants every car he can get, so your complaining is just disagreeing with him, and any vehicle can be raced, so your racing game idea is based purely on what you think should be in a race.
 
Ok Children, Hush down now, have a cup of tea and some biscuits. There we go, all better now. :)
 
Whether a car is even suited to be raced or is raced in real life is irrelevant, the most important criteria for it being in a videogame is that it can provide fun or enjoyment driving or racing them (for a large group, no car, or anything for that matter, can be appreciated equally by everyone obviously).
The Schwimmwagen is probably the most unlikely "racecar" and has probably never been used to race in real life (*insert to the Polish border joke*) but I surely have fun driving and racing it (fully tuned that is), even online with likeminded individuals.

This whole "it's a racing game only" argument which pops up again and again gets increasingly tiresome too as it clearly isn't just that but it can be if you choose it to be, that doesn't mean everybody chooses it to be.
 
The idea that this is anything but a racing game is patently ludicrous and I'm not going to argue it any more. If you want to pretend it's not, that's you bag. It was marketed as a racing game, every other game in the series is about racing, the main focus is racing, and that is that.

I think the main issue here is that other people (myself included) tend to consider "racing" to simply be a form of "driving". The ability to take a car out on a track in practice mode is very much like the DE (Driver Education) track days I've done with the PCA.

The game's focus is on realistically replicating a car's driving dynamics and getting the physics engine well sorted out. (Yes, there are still flaws, but for the most part the driving characteristics are well modeled given current hardware limitations.) It's the fact that the focus is on how the cars behave rather than on trying to recreate the "racing experience" a-la NFS: Shift that makes GT5 a "driving" sim rather than a "racing" sim. Even though most of the driving in GT5 is in a race setting, the handling of the cars takes precedence over creating a simulation of what a "race" feels like.

NFS: Shift is a great game (I have it and love it and I've pre-ordered Shift 2), but it's clearly not the same as GT5. Shift is a racing game. They are doing a fantastic job of simulating the race experience and the adrenaline rush you get from close competition with other cars. But to do this, they've had to sacrifice some reality in terms of how the cars feel because of the limitations of current hardware. GT5 sacrifices some of the race feel in favor of the cars themselves.

That subtle difference is, IMO, what makes GT5 an incredible driving simulator and a mediocre racing simulator while Shift is an incredible racing simulator and a mediocre driving simulator.
 
Back