List of cars that shouldn't even be in this game.

  • Thread starter Thread starter kdryan
  • 201 comments
  • 14,825 views

Which of these cars are suitable for racing?

  • Volvo 240GL Wagon

    Votes: 36 10.1%
  • '88 Honda Accord 4 Door

    Votes: 19 5.3%
  • i-Miev

    Votes: 20 5.6%
  • Honda Fit Mini-Van

    Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Suzuki Swift

    Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Suzuki Swift

    Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Kubelwagen

    Votes: 22 6.2%
  • Volkswagen New Beetle

    Votes: 15 4.2%
  • Karmann Ghia

    Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Volkswagen Bus

    Votes: 13 3.7%
  • You can race them all

    Votes: 185 52.0%

  • Total voters
    356
I'm grateful the thread has given us these awesome Volvo clips though :)
 
Any car is 'raceable.' Not any car will make for a good race. You don't see people racing Honda Accords and Volvos for a reason. They're not designed for it and were never intended to be raced. They are boring grocery getters. Street racers aside, outside of GT1-5 I would be willing to bet nobody does race them.

Are you kidding?



Wish they could build the C30 Polestar:(


So don't tell me that Volvo build boring cars;)
 
Last edited:
Volvo 240GL Wagon - one of my favorite drift cars in game! :)
'88 Honda Accord 4 Door - its a Honda, it should stay!
i-Miev - agree! get rid of it.. but it was very fun Seasonal Event I had in it!
Honda Fit Mini-Van -Its Honda! :)
Suzuki Swift - its Suzuki! hate them!
Suzuki Swift -lol
Kubelwagen - Epic warmachine!
Volkswagen New Beetle -historic car. I dont like it, but historic can stay!
Karmann Ghia - very good car and very beautifull, Had to buy it when I saw it, had alot of fun dirving it!
Volkswagen Bus - One of my favorite cars in game. very fun! and its RR! Like to race with it against tuners online. and win! lol (epic fail for others)

So this means there almost is no cars GT shoulnt have.. its only matter of taste. and youger you are less you understand "the matter of taste" stuff! ;)

Fredde_swe
So don't tell me that Volvo build boring cars;)

Good videos mate! Volvo 240GL Wagon in GT5 one of the best cars for fun.. very heavy drift car :) insane fun, having with my friends online with it..
 
Last edited:
You do realise that Volvo won the 1985 European Touring Car Championship right? With a 240 Turbo? And that the 200-series Volvos remain very popular amateur rally cars in Scandinavia?


Or that the 3rd generation Accord was one of the best-handling compact sedans of its day with double-wishbone suspension at all four corners? While the Accord wasn't raced to the extent that the 240 was, the fact is that it was easily among the best handling FF cars of the late 1980s.

And in addition...

2682631041_6887e238f1.jpg

tommo.jpg
 
Point is... we need moar Volvos :crazy:

On another hand... removing at least 2 variations of the Skyline, Miata, RX7, NSX, S2000 and other japanese cars with duplicates would have given PD room for at least 100 new cars... which could have been used to give us moar Volvos, the Lambo Diablo, GT90, F50, EB110... and God knows how many more good cars... :ouch:
 
Last edited:
MoLiEG
Point is... we need moar Volvos :crazy:

On another hand... by removing at least 2 variations of the Skyline, Miata, RX7, NSX, S2000 and other japanese cars with duplicates would have given PD room for at least 100 new cars... which could have been used to give us moar Volvos, the Lambo Diablo, GT90, F50, EB110... and God knows how many more good cars... :ouch:

no need to remove anything. We can find a race for every car in GT game.

And for Skylines I strongly dissagree. I know they are 50 + of them. but did anyone notice that cars from 1970 year, to nowdays 2010 year changed ALOT! :sly:👍 GT have a whole evolution of skylines, starting of the whole begining and ending up wiht latest GTR supercar.. in my mind that isnt so bad.. for me most fun and best skylines are the FR old ones.. 👍

PS. by removing cars PD will not gain any room! ;) im very familiar with gaming engines!
 
CAG_Theory
Toyota Yaris - why o why? For the love of Ford GT40 '69

The Yaris AKA the Vitz is actually a great little car. I've seen a tuned one on Best Motoring that ran the Togue Challenge and did pretty decent.
 
SKOT_FREE
The Yaris AKA the Vitz is actually a great little car. I've seen a tuned one on Best Motoring that ran the Togue Challenge and did pretty decent.

thats the case about GT.. You can tune the **** out of little cars and race with them like race cars. Tuned engine, transmission, with better stiffer handling... one of my favorite parts in this game is to take very old ugly cars I like, tune the **** out of them and take them online where I beat with some old car new beautiful race cars... I just like when people say to me, "what engine do you have in this car, its insane" then I do this : LMAO :sly: its not the car, its the driver who loves cars :)
 
You can't race ANY of the cars in the game... you can race cars online, IF you find a good enough, clean enough, correctly spec'ed match.

But the AI is so BAD in GT5, you can't actually RACE. But, then again, I keep forgetting. GT5 is NOT a racing game. It is a 'driving simulator'... :rolleyes:

And THAT, my friends, is like saying a bad tennis game ISN'T a tennis game... it's a 'ball hitting simulator' :banghead:

Come to think of it, GT5 kind of fills the criteria for a 'ball hitting simulator'.... I just wish it were someone at PD that programs the AI who's balls were being hit..! :crazy:

GT5... 'The Real Roshambo Simulator' :yuck: :ouch: :trouble:
 
My Karmann Ghia Has 399PP (It's a Lot!)
 
Man...some people have no taste in cars.

Right on the cover, under GT5, it says "The Real Driving Simulator", nowhere does it say "The Real Racing Simulator where cool cars are rejected". There's nothing wrong with a Kubelwagon, Schimmiwagon, or 240. If you hate those cars, just drive your boring, purebreed racecars then, I'll just be driving laps in my 2CV.

As for a car that shouldn't be in GT5: the X2010. Most annoying car yet.


Volvo 240 <haven't bought one yet, and I want to
Honda Accord <Yuck!
I-MiEV <Kinda fun, but meh, I hate the electric whizzing.
Honda Fit Mini-Van <have one, fun to drive.
Suzuki Swift <fun to drive
Kubelwagen <fun with transmission set to 75mph. Own one in every color. Same with Schmiwagon.
Volkswagen New Beetle <NO. Old beetle? Yes. New one? No.
Karmann Ghia <Fun.
Volkswagen Bus<fun. Own one in every color.
You can race them all<This
 
Last edited:
Weard choice. Ferrari 458 Italia is one of the moste amezing ferraris out there. watch Top gear where they tested it.

Ferrari Enzo i kinda get that one whene it comes to the disappointing handling

Gallardo wtf why dont u whant that car in game?

Mclaren F1 am just shoked.

I would remove Tank car.

Why remove volvo:O I still havent found it in used. and am lvl 35

Dude, he was being sarcastic.
 
http://www.chumpcar.com/

Anything can race. I like that more mundane cars find their way to the roster in the GT series. What I dont like is that it always starts with the Japanese cars, and really obvious examples of auto history etc get ignored. Oh well, all I get is what they give me after all.
 
You may want to change the word 'Japanese' in your post. A lot of people seem to find it offensive around here.
 
If anything, I'm not a fan of the Red Bull X2010 or the Bugatti Veyron in particular, but hey, I don't recall any rule that states that you must purchase or own them...

But referring to the list, the Volvo and the VW Karmann Ghia are a lot a fun when tuned and the Schwimmwagen is hilarious to drive after a bit of tuning, especially on circuits with lots of technical corners... I even painted mine a lovely shade of metallic red :D
 
My mom always had turbo manual Volvo wagons. They are awesome cars. I'd love more options for premium Volvo's and Saab's. My dad had a two stoke Saab when I was little the gearshift(4mt) was mounted behind the steering wheel.
 
If anything, I'm not a fan of the Red Bull X2010 or the Bugatti Veyron in particular, but hey, I don't recall any rule that states that you must purchase or own them...

But referring to the list, the Volvo and the VW Karmann Ghia are a lot a fun when tuned and the Schwimmwagen is hilarious to drive after a bit of tuning, especially on circuits with lots of technical corners... I even painted mine a lovely shade of metallic red :D

I painted mine a nice Reflex Spice. We should start a new thread...

'Pimp your Schwimmwagen!' :)
 
I painted mine a nice Reflex Spice. We should start a new thread...

'Pimp your Schwimmwagen!' :)

Reflex Spice? Nice! And I thought mine stood out a bit amongst the other cars in the Classic Car seasonals :)
 
They all belong. They're cars.

i agree here, but i think the only main concern here was that pd chose the wrong cars to make premium cars. i mean seriously who drives a toyota prius in this game weekly? or the honda insight? or how about the mazda autozam? these are useless cars to have in the premuim dealership. why isn't the ford gt lm race car spec II premium? or the minolta race car? toyota gt1 race car? stratos rally car? FGT? the list goes on and this is the main problem here i believe.
 
Well, after reading this I think that it's going to be impossible to decide until it is decided what kind of game this is. That of course will never be agreed on.

IMHO, It's a racing game. It is not a 'Driving Simulator', unless you regularly drive your Team Oreco Viper at 200 mph to the Piggly Wiggly for groceries or a Jaguar XJ13 down the 405 on your way to work. I'm pretty sure that's not what Kaz meant. It is not a car collecting game. I collect them, it's fun, I have painted my GT350 about 20 times now looking for the closest shade to Ford's Grabber Blue (French Blue is it, btw). But the original focus is racing, not collecting. The cars are there to try racing different types of vehicles. They're not Pokemon cards.

So the question of whether any car is not suitable for this game is kind of moot, I guess.
I think 'racing game' is a little 1-dimensional. There are so many elements of GT5 that are not strictly racing, that anybody who assumes it's a racing game will probably be ticked off at the game they received.

Everything about it seems to say 'car appreciation game', and the competition side of automobiles (racing) plays a big part, because the competition side is what makes it a game.

If you take it as a car appreciation game, just about every bit of it makes sense, even the multiple variants of the same car. The variants often show a car's evolution -- no car is 'static' in real life, it undergoes changes all the time.

Even the X2010 makes sense in this framework, the way the Nike-One made sense in GT4. Both of those cars pose the question "Here is what cars have been, and currently are -- what could be developed in the future using technologies that are either here today or on the immediate horizon?"

Also, if somebody said to you, "Choose a cross-section of cars that demonstrates the whole scope of the automobile's history", you'd have to choose some cars that have been specially adapted for different purposes, from the most basic people-movers like the 2CV, to the fastest race cars like the C9, to cars that have been adapted for water like the Schwimmwagen, to the ultra-efficient, to the most wasteful of supercars.

The game is about passion for all things automotive, IMO.
 
To be objective, my friends are clueless about the x2010 they say it look like a batmobile and cant find the point why they wasted their time on something so unREAL.
Its the REAL driving simulator, Not the unREAL Batman racing simulator.
Also to use their words, they dont know why there's Nazi vehicles in the game, saying its an insult.
 
LOL Nazi cars.......I hope there will be Lada's too!! Communist cars!!!
 
  • The 240 would certainly benefit from accurate horsepower and weight ratings... but it's raced a fair amount in the real world.
  • The Accord's a 2-door... and also, raced.
  • i-Miev? Not a fan, for the ear-piercing noise, but it's entertaining as a challenge against other Keis.
  • I'll admit I don't see the point in the 2 Swifts, when one will do. Most certainly a worthy inclusion in the warm hatch stakes.
  • Kubel/Schwimm are historically significant, the New Beetle obviously races, the KG has a large following, and same with the Bus.

I'm of the opinion any car can and should be included in GT; the creator has gone on record as having the goal of it being an "automotive encyclopedia", afterall. Of course, we all have our preferences over which cars get included first, but that's a whole other issue (and perhaps the real one that's on the mind here).

If you're looking at GT as a racing simulator, I would imagine it'd be even less impressive than judging it as a driving simulator, since GT actually simulates real, proper racing pretty poorly.
 
Well as for the Car Collecting game mindset, I offer you this. You can also take pictures of cars. Is it a car photography game as well?
 
Please take note that GT5 claims to be the "Real Driving Simulator", not the "Real Racing Simulator". Those cars belong just as much as any other.

If it's just the "Real Driving Simulator" then why can't I just go for a casual drive? Why do I need to race other cars? Grand Theft Auto is more of a driving simulator. You can buy cars and drive them. Stop at lights that change. Stop at stop signs. Just about everything short of using turn signals. You can even change the radio station for crying out loud.

The reality is that Gran Turismo is a racing game, not a driving simulator. Would it be awesome to be able to go on scenic cruises, cruise the strip, use a turn signal, etc.? Of course it would, but racing games don't let you do that.

Though I appreciate some of these cars, they don't belong in a racing game. They belong in a sims-like game or a collector car game. It can even be fun to race some of these online (the slower, the better). That said, most people don't use these cars in the game itself (not online). There are tons of cars most people don't use for specific events. Many of those don't need to be included, either.
 
Calling GT a racing game is a bit narrow-minded in my opinion. If someone doesn't understand how guys can sit around all day and talk about cars, then GT should be the answer. It should be car culture in video game form, the encyclopedia of cars, if you will.

I have no issue with the Kubelwagen, or the i-Miev, but my main issue with GT's current iteration is the overload of duplicate or extremely similar cars. I know PD is a small company, but they should really invest into expanding into places in Europe or America to get a better feel of what cars, modifications, racing regulations, and events are popular.

Tl;dr: Duplicates are bad.
 
Well as for the Car Collecting game mindset, I offer you this. You can also take pictures of cars. Is it a car photography game as well?

...so does this mean Metal Gear Solid is a photography game too? ;)

There are tons of cars most people don't use for specific events. Many of those don't need to be included, either.

...so the car lineup should consist of only the dominant cars for the events? That's an odd rationale.

Admittedly, I wouldn't mind the odd cruising route... but I can almost sort of make them already with the Track Creator. The small problems being a) we don't have access to point-to-point for creating, and b) the laps are still timed, which always ends up encouraging me to speed up!
 
spapadillion
He makes a good point.

kdryan
Actually, no he doesn't. The thread is about cars like the Volvo wagon that have no business being in a racing game. He is trying to make it into a thread about complaining about cars.

It is a game about RACING cars. Collecting them is just a cool side benefit. At any rate, I'm not going to argue any farther about it.

Actually, yes he does. I too am firmly in the "its a driving game not a racing game" camp, as are alot of other people, including Polyphony Digital. Clearly you're not. There are plenty of other games featuring nothing but race cars, if that's your thing. I play the GT series for its variety and I'd appreciate it if you and everyone else quit trying to take that away by misrepresenting the community as haters of all things slow. I love my Prius, i-MiEV, assorted Kei and classic cars goddamnit.
 
pruis wtf? waste of space, should use this memory space for something like Koenigseggs, Caparo T1 or Gumpert Apollo, or even the FXX or GTO.
 
Back