Live Stream: FIA Gran Turismo Championships Nürburgring World Tour (Nations Cup)

Well done on bagging that result and the fastest lap! Felt gutted for you after what happened at the start of the final.

Thanks! Yeah, got a really good start, somehow jumping the 2 guys in front of me on mediums. Followed someone in front of me on the outside line but a few guys braking late and getting their elbows out down the inside meant the pack pushed me wide.

Did you take on fuel at all?

Yeah, about 4.5 laps worth. Flat out a tank will do 13 laps.

He smoked everyone else just as bad at Mayabi in GR3.
Actually, it proves a lot. Just my opinion. I've got lots of respect for his skills, but I don't see what what a pro gets out of crushing amateurs.

I think it's good, because it makes the sim-racers go back to the drawing board, which is badly needed otherwise we start suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect @dabz343

The impression I get from sim-racers, is they aren't taking advantage of the sims by using it as an opportunity to punch above their weight with safety, and are instead avoiding difficult problems and getting accustomed to the safety, which you can't afford to do in the real world, which is why we have Fraga winning.

Fraga lost at the paris world tour and made a rookie mistake of changing soft tires to soft tires,he is not invincible.Yes he's a great driver but motorsports always had amazing drivers that seem to clean up events(hamilton),doesn't mean they can't be beaten

Fraga is good at GTS because he's good at GTS, not because he's a pro driver. The skills needed are related, so pro drivers are pretty much always good at driving games, but it's extremely rare for them to be world beating at them.

For example, the last FM7 monthly rivals had several pro IndyCar drivers taking part, and they were all good, but the best any of them did was just outside the world top 40. I was 34th, so I beat them all.

Fraga is good at GTS because he's good at GTS, not because he's a pro driver. The skills needed are related, so pro drivers are pretty much always good at driving games, but it's extremely rare for them to be world beating at them.

For example, the last FM7 monthly rivals had several pro IndyCar drivers taking part, and they were all good, but the best any of them did was just outside the world top 40. I was 34th, so I beat them all.

Isn’t Forza best played on a controller though? I thought wheels didn’t work well with that game?

Actually, it proves a lot. Just my opinion. I've got lots of respect for his skills, but I don't see what what a pro gets out of crushing amateurs.

The whole driver ranking thing should be taking care of that.

AND, I don't know the guy but I really doubt he enjoys crushing amateurs. Thats just not how it works, if anything its probably the complete opposite.

Isn’t Forza best played on a controller though? I thought wheels didn’t work well with that game?

That's beside the point, though. IIRC a good chunk of the IndyCar guys used a wheel anyway, which arguably is better for an oval race.

The point I believe @breeminator and @mirial are making — and one I agree with — is that Igor isn't a "pro", or at least not in the sense that he should be barred from competing. He races in the real world, sure, but so does Verstappen, who regularly takes part in sim races and doesn't always clean up there. He is a "pro" in the sense that he's amongst the very best GT Sport players in the world, which is true of every single other driver at these events.

This isn't GT Academy, where the goal was to find someone via a video game competition with latent talent that could be moulded into a legitimate real-world racer. The FIAGTC is to find the best GT Sport player.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Igor. I'd say one of the biggest advantages he has from his real-world racing experience is actually all the stuff outside of driving a car: he's a consummate pro in interviews and chats, and that makes him an excellent ambassador for sim racing esports in general IMO.

In my experience with a wheel it's ok but not great. So pretty much the same as GTS.

I guess my point was that the wheel isn’t the best tool for playing Forza, so it would make real world driving experience less transferable because it would have to be translated through a controller for best results. GT Sport is far from a perfect sim but in most cases best results come from using a wheel, so real world driving experience would be more easier transferable in theory.

I guess my point was that the wheel isn’t the best tool for playing Forza, so it would make real world driving experience less transferable because it would have to be translated through a controller for best results. GT Sport is far from a perfect sim but in most cases best results come from using a wheel, so real world driving experience would be more easier transferable in theory.
Well I've played Forza with a wheel since FM2 and never been at a disadvantage compared to controller players and back in my hot lapping days I would regularly feature in top 50 of leaderboards with quite a number of top 10's in C Class. Like I said FM with a wheel is just as good (or bad depending on your point of view) as GTS with a wheel.

If you watch it back I hope you enjoy everyone in the chat raging at your pit strategy

Lol. I saw a few comments. It's easy to look back and see what you can do differently, for sure.

Ideally, I should have pitted 2 laps earlier in the first stint and done an extra 2 on the soft. But I wouldn't have finished higher than 7th and there's a lot of things which go through your mind during the race.

In the second stint on mediums where I got up to 4th place, I didn't know if I would come out in traffic since there were a lot of cars in one pack. I didn't factor in the really slow refuelling speed so it wasn't actually an issue.

And yes, the undercut is powerful, but there was never anyone in front of me close enough to undercut in the second stint. So you have to think about the grip you will have for any overtakes you will need to make in the middle or end of your stints. The dirty air is really bad with these cars, especially in acceleration zones out of slow speed corners, so it's much easier to stay close with fresher tyres than your opponent's.

I could have undercut TsuTsu in the first stint, but I was also saving fuel in his slipstream (and learning the track still, I should add).

So it's not always about making up positions as quick as possible. At least, that's the way I felt during this race. 👍

Well, that was a mess. The only thing I can really say about the event is kudos to all the drivers who kept their cool and didn't punch each other in the face. At an event at this scale, for drivers to be pulling lame gamer moves and not leaving space for each other... I'm just surprised a fight didn't break out.

Wasn't really impressed. It just looked like a bunch of kids playing a video game. I get the feeling you could peer into a dozen lobbies at any time and see close to the same thing.

Wasn't really impressed. It just looked like a bunch of kids playing a video game. I get the feeling you could peer into a dozen lobbies at any time and see close to the same thing.
What did you think of the "Igor x Lopez" battle of the fisrt race?

I don't want to sound too derogatory. There were good moments and a bit of excitement but what I'm saying I guess, is don't we all share these same type of moments over and over again ourselves? I mean that's why we play this. I get that these guys are putting in some of the best times on the game but don't you feel like when they get together for these races it all goes out the window and it turns into a free for all melee of sorts?
I like to watch to see a bit of new content but I hope they can improve on the racing in the future. I'm sure they will.

Funny story about the repechage: I couldn't remember if we had to lock our torque distribution to 25/75 like qualifying since we had issues with that in previous days, so I asked the referee next to me if I could change it and they told me no. The difference between 45/55 and 25/75 is night and day in the rain, basically going from understeer levels of grip to driving on ice.

I had the fastest lap time in my semi-final block practice (1:44.6) and I was running high to low 46's in the race because of the torque. I should've just changed it knowing we practiced that way but I'm pretty dumb LOL

Hopefully I can do well in New York, but I had a blast here and it was one of the best moments of my life. I'm proud of myself and I love all the people I met.

Where in the world does Lopez' five second penalty come from?!

I’d like to apologise sincerely for this misinformation during the commentary on the broadcast. From a behind-the-scenes point of view there was a lot going on (producers in my ears, unscheduled interviews etc), and I made an error by saying it was López who had received the penalty, rather than Latkovski as has already been stated.

Tom
I’d like to apologise sincerely for this misinformation during the commentary on the broadcast. From a behind-the-scenes point of view there was a lot going on (producers in my ears, unscheduled interviews etc), and I made an error by saying it was López who had received the penalty, rather than Latkovski as has already been stated.

No worries Tom, I know how hectic the show can be at the height of the event! :cheers:

Great work by you and Jimmy the whole weekend, it always adds another layer to the action on track. 👍

Last edited:
Tom
Do you think it's just the pilots who made mistakes?

Keep the good work! :cheers:

Back