Logitech in financial trouble. "Discontinue... console peripherals"

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 227 comments
Fanatec bashing is funny. Fanatec has continuously pushed the envelope of consumer level wheels. Better and more features, more realism. 7 figures in wheels sold, I'm guessing there are more satisfied than not. Secondly, the main guy at the company is on forums getting input from the community. I don't remember the head of logitec here. Sorry but the blind fanboy rhetoric is tiring. The sim community and sim racing in general is better because of Fanatec products. Just my. 02
Nice, very nice but what about me? what about that Egizian guy? what about a lot of African sime racers? what about Latin America sim-racers?.....it's always about me and me and damn me?!
Do you think that every one can afford to buy Fanatec products?
I don't care about Fanatec because they serve only in a few countries!👎👎👎👎
I hope that Logitech can make it through this financial trouble otherwise we( 90% of sim racer) will have a hard times with only Fanatec/Thrustmaster in the market!
We poor simracers, we sim racer of the Third World need you Logitech, so please don't leave us alone!

Last edited:
Nice, very nice but what about me? what about that Egizian guy? what about a lot of African sime racers? what about Latin America sim-racers?.....it's always about me and me and damn me?!
I hope that Logitech can make it through this financial trouble otherwise we( 90% of sim racer) will have a hard times with only Fanatec/Thrustmaster in the market!
We poor simracers, we sim racer of the Third World need you Logitech, so please don't leave us alone!

Well said. 👍

Waj, I see no correlation between what you just said and what I said. None. My point being that bashing Fanatec has become sort of a fanboy sport. And actually, if you really read this thread, I still don't understand how Fanatec came into the thread, this thread is about Logitech.

Or did Fanatec force Logitech to have financial trouble as well? I never said anything about not being able to get Fanatec in Africa, South America, or any where else. So I don't understand how you drew that conclusion.

My statement was based on what I see here quite a bit. Bashing of a company, like any other company that isn't perfect yet has brought some real advancements to sim racing. Don't see how you saw anything I said ME ME ME, when nothing I said has anything to do with that. If you're angry, be angry at Logitech. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
Waj, I see no correlation between what you just said and what I said. None. My point being that bashing Fanatec has become sort of a fanboy sport. And actually, if you really read this thread, I still don't understand how Fanatec came into the thread, this thread is about Logitech.

Or did Fanatec force Logitech to have financial trouble as well? I never said anything about not being able to get Fanatec in Africa, South America, or any where else. So I don't understand how you drew that conclusion.

My statement was based on what I see here quite a bit. Bashing of a company, like any other company that isn't perfect yet has brought some real advancements to sim racing. Don't see how you saw anything I said ME ME ME, when nothing I said has anything to do with that. If you're angry, be angry at Logitech. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Ok:)

This. Before making the decision of discontinuing the DFGT/G27/G25, they need to consider that they are probably the most popular in the gaming market (at least for wheels). And by discontinuing those three products, they are going to affect a wide majority of the sim racing community, let alone the community of other gaming genres.

Now if they could just twitter plans for a G29 wheel, I am sure some would love that as much as they love chocolate on Valentines day. ;)

Great news though. 👍
I already sent a long e-mail to Logitech where I show him my support and the support of all the sim-racing community! I asked them if they have eventual plane for a new steering wheel!
I've also invited to do so, saying that a new G29 you can help them get out of this financial difficulty!:)

I wrote that there are thousands and thousands of sim racers who are eagerly awaiting an announcement for a new Logitech steering wheel!

G29 doesn't make sense to be honest unless it's a minor upgrade to the 27 abit.like the 27 was to the 25.A major upgrade and a price range with the likes of what Thrust master amd Fanatec are offering won't surely be very profitable would it.

G29 doesn't make sense to be honest unless it's a minor upgrade to the 27 abit.like the 27 was to the 25.A major upgrade and a price range with the likes of what Thrust master amd Fanatec are offering won't surely be very profitable would it.

I think that a new G29 that fix the G27 issues( calibration sensor, less plastic components, improved wheel, improved shifter, a new pedals with load cell...) and price range between 350-400 € could make sense and can make it greatly into the market!
Don't forget that there are a lot of country that don't have Fanatec or Thrusmaster support, so a new Logiteche steering wheel could have a great success!

Guys that don't want to see the G series wheels go: Why not start a bit of a campaign to let Logitech know just how many people like their G series and what you think? They are obviously looking at their Twitter account and Facebook. This is what social media is for! (at least for companies) Go to those places and show your support of the wheel, get something going.

Heck, I'll even buy you the domain name and host the website if you want to do something like that. (I'm not designing the site or running your campaign though) ;)

Tell them what you want and show them how many people want it. Help them help YOU.

Agreed, remember that logitec is in business to make money. They don't care if they hurt sim racers. But you can show them that they can make money with your voices. Also would like to say that I meant no disrespect to sim racers in other countries, just pointing out that this is totally on logitec, they need to step up.

I think that a new G29 that fix the G27 issues( calibration sensor, less plastic components, improved wheel, improved shifter, a new pedals with load cell...) and price range between 350-400 € could make sense and can make it greatly into the market!
Don't forget that there are a lot of country that don't have Fanatec or Thrusmaster support, so a new Logiteche steering wheel could have a great success!

Giving their current financial state that would be too much of a gamble,doubt if they ever make a G29 it would me that much of an improvment over the 27 .

I'd be happy if they developed a seperate pedal and shifter that work with previous wheels .

The logical thing they could do is await GT6 and somehow get Turn 10 and Microsoft to support logitech wheels in the next xbox.

:embarrassed: Woa woa woa, that is a sign that I should sell my Logitech G27 when it breaks ofcourse and go for the Thrustmaster T500RS :D

I think logitech will continue to make wheels as they are. PC wheels work with PS3.

Yeah, hopefully they will only stop with the DFGT and similar console focused wheels that were once made.

Though if they stop with console SDK's than need incorporation into game builds for product compatibility, we might have a problem still.

You know, if they released the G29/G28/G30 whatever, and made sure that it was better than the Fanatec and Thrustmaster top end offering, they'd be laughing, and they could do it at such a price point too, like $550-$750 and have the best wheel on the market, they're a bit retarded of late logitech.

I own stacks of stuff logitech, but the G27 was the last thing I bought, and I recently stopped using my G7 and replaced it with a 'Mad Catz' mouse, of all things, a company that should be dead, is beating logitech, get yourselves out of the gutter, remake the products that made you awesome in the mid-00s, please.

Neither do I now I did. Only reason I did (I owned two, both versions I loved the mouse so much, 7 years of use between the two of them I think), is because they started lagging out on me, which was unthinkable, it was one of the first real gaming mouse that wouldn't lag, and it never did for years, then I had issues where I'd need to reconnect it, constantly, for it not to suffer... It was both versions in the end too, so I decided to replace it...

With a Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 (considered the 9 but thought 'hell, why not go corded, everyone raves about it). Huge mistake getting a bloody cord again, it pushes up against the wall when I move forward, tugs when I pull back, its horrible, not 1% as good as a wireless mouse, not to mention it has front end lift and isn't very precise or comfortable.

So in summary, Logitech's 'old' products, are still better than some of the leading edge products from other manufacturers.

we plan to discontinue other non-strategic products, such as speaker docks and console gaming peripherals, by the end of Calendar Year 2013,"

Logitech's current gaming peripheral lineup includes various mice and keyboards, wheels, headsets, joysticks, gamepads, and accessories.

A company representative confirmed with GameSpot today that all PC gaming mice, keyboards, and headsets will continue to be sold and are in fact a "key focus for the company."

This a quote from a Logitec announcement, to me it is clear, in this statement, that Logitech is discontinuing his wheels, as Logitec does not have two different lines of wheels, like one for PC and one for Consoles, so if the wheels are to be discontinued for consoles, they are for PC as well.
Regreatable and sad, particularely for the gamers living in areas where there is no real alternatives.

Hmm. I think it's still hard to say really. It says "includes various <etc>" This could potentially leave out some wheels that may still be manufactured I suppose. Likewise it states mice and keyboards, wheels, headsets, joysticks, gamepads, and accessories. But then the rep. apparently says 'all PC gaming mice, keyboards, and headsets will continue to be sold and are in fact a "key focus for the company."'

So... which is it? It seems it has yet to be determined and it's unlikely anyone will really know anytime soon.

Also... My offer still stands to support getting something together to show Logitech how many people are actually using their wheels and appreciate the products they offer the sim world...

I think what they mean by no more console support is they wont be doing anymore offically licensed products. Like how the DFGT was an offical GT wheel, but to me that was made clear a few years ago when Thrustmaster got the T500 as an offical wheel. I dont know if you guys remember when GT5came out Logitech tried for months to get it supported in GT5 and Kaz refused because he wanted Logitech to pay another licensing fee for it. Logitech argued they had already payed a licensing fee for there wheels and PD said the need to pay a second fee for the G series wheels. Thats what I believe is ending on the console front. No more fees to be offically supported on consoles.

Maybe they could just hijack the profile for the T500 and quit paying licensing fees. That'd save some money...

Out of curiousity, I took a look at how many people used a wheel in the last GT5 time trial. (on Motegi and Madrid)

Motegi -
Total times: 85,352
Total wheel users: 16,730
Total gated shifter users (part of the above): 298
Wheel users make up about 20% of the people that ran the TT and gated shifter users make up less than 2 percent of the total wheel users...

Madrid -
Total times: 53,456
Total wheel users: 10,592
Total gated shifter users (part of the above): 311
Again, about 20% are wheel users on this TT. Though almost 3% are gated shifter users.

While we don't know exactly what wheel was used, one has to wonder if most of those wheel users are on a DFGT or similar level wheel. This doesn't bode well for the higher end wheels. That said, a lot of people are either not good with a gated shifter and clutch or just plain don't use them even though they have them available.

GT5 is only one small segment of sim racing. iRacing has over 40,000 members and it's likely the majority use a wheel. I don't have the data available to say what and how many, but it seems logical. Then we have all the other PC sim titles out there.

It stands to reason that consoles probably make up a smaller segment of wheel users. PC racers seem to be a little more "serious" on average and thus are probably using wheels. As well, there are really only two "sim" titles for consoles: Forza and GT5... So, when they say consoles are not going to be supported, it kind of makes sense. It also makes me wonder if they will stop supporting PC though...

The clutch support in GT5 (or lack of) is probably the biggest factor in that. A TT event is about setting the fastest times and a clutch in GT5 isnt the way to do it.

This is typical of the world we live in i guess:grumpy: Twice my DFGT pedals have failed both times Logitech have replaced them without an ounce of fuss i even recieved follow up from customer service to make sure i was happy.
I had more trouble trying to get an indate chicken that had gone off replaced at the store that says every little helps!:crazy:

Prey this isnt the end.:nervous:

Back