Los Santos 4x4 - General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 174 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
This is the general discussion thread for all things LS4x4. All console (and PC!) players are welcome. As a general rule, all discussion should take place here for meets, etc. The Facebook page is where the trail maps and trail ratings are posted, as well as event dates and times (coming soon), and media like photos & video. When the PC version is released, all game modification content, tips & tricks will be posted as well.

Click here for the Los Santos 4x4 Facebook page

Discuss away!

May not be until next weekend, still have to plan things out. And I need to spend some time online this weekend getting up to date as I haven't played online in months.

Edit: Made it to the bottom of the dam.

0_0.jpg

Last edited:
I was messing around last night, and found a cool place to climb around. Just as you pass over the dam, off to the left there's some good wheeling to be had. A couple places looks like they would be possible and extremely fun if we had a proper 4WD system and more traction.

Man. I really need to get back into off-roading again. The crew meets were always a bunch of fun when we had lobbies that were close to being full.

Anyone know if there is a way to get another Merryweather Mesa in single player? I thought I could just replay the mission but I guess that doesn't work.

Edit: Oh, if you are sending crew invite requests post here with your PSN ID so I know who is who.

Edit: Oh, if you are sending crew invite requests post here with your PSN ID so I know who is who.

You can see it under the name here. For example, my name here is Bino and under it says Sulawesi-Hawk (my PSN ID) :)

And no idea about the MW Mesa in SP

Is the dubsta really the best suv for off road? I'm either the dubsta or the beejayxl.

I like both. They are similar in the way that they have both low ground clearance. But the Dubsta is one of the best at climbing hills IMO. I would always use it before i got the MW Mesa. Actually I like the Dubsta better than the MW Mesa for climbing (assuming there are no rocks or other things that requires higher ground clearance)

Anyone know if there is a way to get another Merryweather Mesa in single player? I thought I could just replay the mission but I guess that doesn't work.

Ripped from GTA.wikia

>>
  • To obtain one in single-player is to steal one and use it as a getaway car during the mission The Wrap Up. Only Michael and Trevor can obtain the vehicle in this way, but through use of the character switching, Michael can transfer the vehicle to other characters. This will not work during a mission replay, since the vehicle will disappear when the replay ends.
  • Michael can also obtain the vehicle by taking one of the parked Mesas and putting it in his garage when Merryweather attacks his house; this will result in mission failure, as you will not get to Amanda in time, but the Mesa will remain. Alternatively, you can wait for your chance so mercenaries arrive in the Mesas. A viable method is once all Merryweather men inside the house are killed, go outside, kill the nearby men, then go back at the front. Two Mesas should pull up in front of the house. Simply kill the remaining mercenaries, then take one Mesa (you can also take both) inside your garage, and go back to your family to finish the mission.
  • Appears alternatively in Minor Turbulence, when Trevor Philips evacuates. Although it's unobtainable, it is still drivable for a requirement in the mission.
<<

I have the MW Mesa for both Michael and Trevor.

@R1600Turbo - Join/host a closed friend session with one or two friends. Call MW mercenaries to attack a friend. Sometimes get up to three Mesas each time. Kill the mercs, take the jeeps.
Yes it still works unless it's been patched in the last two days.

@R1600Turbo - Join/host a closed friend session with one or two friends. Call MW mercenaries to attack a friend. Sometimes get up to three Mesas each time. Kill the mercs, take the jeeps.
Yes it still works unless it's been patched in the last two days.

Yeah, you can get it online, but not offline where you get free upgrades, saves, etc.

I'm yet to do the 'wrap up' mission so I'll be having one for offline. Its my next main mission as far as I can tell from walkthrough guides.

Updated GTA last night so was playing with the new cars.

After intentionally trying them all and leaving the 6x6 to last, I ended up spending about 2 hours crawling around chiliad and the mountain to the south (north east of fort zancudo). The traction this thing has its incredible. I'm very impressed by its abilities and and very much enjoying just watching and testing the articulation of the suspension. It's a bit wide and long for some tighter sections, but it climbs like a mountain goat and never runs out of power.

I did end up back in the standard (off road modded) dubsta as its my favourite for a realistic expedition/green laning vehicle, but the lack of ground clearance was very much apparent after my time spent in the 6x6.

I did end up back in the standard (off road modded) dubsta as its my favourite for a realistic expedition/green laning vehicle, but the lack of ground clearance was very much apparent after my time spent in the 6x6.

I really wish the dubsta 4x4 came with a lifted version or could be lifted at LSC. I don't know why they did not give us the option but it would have been a great car to go off road (it is already great but limited because of its low ground clearance).

Also, it would have been nice to activate some kind of lockers for certain cars so all wheels would spin at the same time in certain situation (it could be done by holding the right button on the D pad like its done with convertibles car to remove/put back the roof). But that might be a little too much asking maybe :D

I haven't used them in a very long time, but do Xenon headlights really give you better visibility? I never noticed a difference.

I haven't used them in a very long time, but do Xenon headlights really give you better visibility? I never noticed a difference.

I think for certain cars the Xenon headlights are a little brighter. I don't like the look of them much so I don't like putting them on modern cars but some of the older cars just have such dull headlights without them.

I really wish the dubsta 4x4 came with a lifted version or could be lifted at LSC. I don't know why they did not give us the option but it would have been a great car to go off road (it is already great but limited because of its low ground clearance).

Also, it would have been nice to activate some kind of lockers for certain cars so all wheels would spin at the same time in certain situation (it could be done by holding the right button on the D pad like its done with convertibles car to remove/put back the roof). But that might be a little too much asking maybe :D
Yeah, I suppose they think the MW mesa plus rebel are enough. Add in the 6x6 and the SUV's like the Dubsta, patriot, baller etc and to be fair we have a half decent off road selection.

The patriot is very good, very similar to the 4x4 Dubsta but much better ground clearance.

Still hooked to the 6x6 for the time being, although I reckon I'll do the wrap up misson tonight and try out the MW mess, although I've read the 4x4 is quite rear biased.

Eta yeah diff locks would be beautiful and the icing on the cake!

Last edited:
I think for certain cars the Xenon headlights are a little brighter. I don't like the look of them much so I don't like putting them on modern cars but some of the older cars just have such dull headlights without them.

Ok. I just wish you could choose more colors for headlights. Matte black body with read headlights would look so badass on certain vehicles. Would also help in multi-class racing to distinguish between classes (White for GT1, yellow for GT2) but we're going off-topic now.

Ok. I just wish you could choose more colors for headlights. Matte black body with read headlights would look so badass on certain vehicles. Would also help in multi-class racing to distinguish between classes (White for GT1, yellow for GT2) but we're going off-topic now.

Extra colors for headlights would be good but only if they add bright white headlights.
It would also be nice to tint the lenses of the headlights as well but 1. cue bright green headlights on everything in online and 2. a lot of the cars seem to have REALLY low poly headlights compared to others (such as the Intruder) so it might be a little difficult to implement.

So I spent a few days trying to get a BeeJay XL to show up for me offline and it just wouldn't happen. Last night after I put the OR Mesa in the garage, I quick saved just outside the door to the garage and shut the system down. Tonight I just fired up the game and it loaded right where I quick saved. Sitting in the parking lot next to Michael's garage was a BeeJay XL. I was like, "you've got to be kidding me." :lol:

Last edited:
So I spent a few days trying to get a BeeJay XL to show up for me offline and it just wouldn't happen. Last night after I put the OR Mesa in the garage, I quick saved just outside the door to the garage and shut the system down. Tonight I just fired up the game and it loaded right where I quick saved. Sitting in the parking lot next to Michael's garage was a BeeJay XL. I was like, "you've got to be kidding me." :lol:
Sounds about right.

I've spent hours looking for certain cars, only to give up and have them appear within minutes of giving up, or when you start a mission and are unable to grab the motor!

Back