Lotus car (almost) unveiled...

• Thread starter yeti
  • 65 comments
The best thing that can do is get rid of all the rubbish circuits like Bahrain, Valencia, Catalunya etc.

What about this;

We get a psychic to predict exactly when it's going to rain at each track, the dates they race at that track will then be set accordingly.

:P

What about this;

We get a psychic to predict exactly when it's going to rain at each track, the dates they race at that track will then be set accordingly.

:P

Or we attach machine guns to the car. The drivers can fire by pressing a button inside their helmet with their right ear lobe.

Or we could have a bunch of remote controlled GP2 cars (Not necessarily GP2) running on the reverse direction of the circuit so the drivers have to avoid them. That will create overtaking opportunities, and lots of excitement. I guarantee it.

It was never in "classic" times either. Want overtaking? Watch NASCAR or Touring Cars. Want quality overtaking and outright speed? Watch F1.

My opinion on this issue is the same as before - changes do need to be made to make it possible to overtake, but the series should not focus entirely on overtaking, as its not the be all and end all of F1 and never was. Allow more effective slipstreaming and close-running but that is all. I don't want to see the sport turned into entertainment rather than sport and I don't want to see the other aspects of F1 disappear just to pander to this demand of overtaking.

I think the media (or rather, particular journalists) are most to blame principally because they seem to only care about F1 and don't realise other motorsports exist. If they did, they should have realised that their criticisms of F1 in this respect only serve to show how little they appreciate what the sport is and that there are other alternative motorsports to watch if you want overtaking every other minute.

Anyway, to bring this back on topic, I think clearly Lotus are best placed of the new teams to maximise their resources between gathering data, experience and results for 2010 and also making the most of 2011. Virgin cannot easily drop their current car because they are still understanding their new car after they had to launch a new spec with the bigger fuel tank. HRT are obviously not getting anywhere with the Dallara chassis and have little to learn from it now they ended their contract with them. If HRT can sort out their finances and infastructure in time, the best they can hope for next year is a reliable car.

Obviously its way too early to make predictions, but I think Lotus can be disappointed if they don't challenge the established backmarker teams at the first race of 2011. I actually think there is a danger of Lotus being the best placed Cosworth team next year if Williams continue their fall.

Back to seriousness, I agree with this. I never really saw a problem with the amount of overtaking this season. I thought Bahrain was an interesting race, there were a few interesting battles going on. At Catalunya it was because of the nature of the circuit, and because of Michael's ability to block Jenson off so easily (Which was probably the best battle going on through the race, in my opinion).

The cars do not need changing. The primary motivating factor in regulation should be cost-cutting, not increasing the entertainment value for the crowd. F1 has always had a decent following and being at that top level of motorsport attracts the sponsors in general. With measures to allow more overtaking, the lower teams would still struggle to find sponsors because they won't be doing any of the overtaking.

Last edited:
Lotus have just secured their future success:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84094

autosport
Lotus has announced that it has recruited Force India design director Mark Smith to become its technical director.

A statement from Lotus said that Smith would join its team after working a 'notice period' at Force India.

Fellow Force India design team members Lewis Butler and Marianne Hinson have also been announced as new additions to Lotus' technical line-up, as chief designer and head of aerodynamics respectively.

All three have previously worked with Lotus chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne in other teams.

"I'm exceptionally pleased to welcome Marianne and Lewis to Lotus Racing, and I'm very excited to once again be teaming up with Mark Smith who I have previously worked with at Jordan, Renault and Force India," said Gascoyne.

"Lewis and I were together at Force India, and Lewis also worked with Mark Smith at Red Bull, and Marianne and I have known each other since 1999 when I gave her her first job in F1 at Jordan, so we all know each other very well.

"Mark Smith and I were first at Jordan together where our first car was the 199, Jordan's most successful F1 entrant, and then he came with me to Renault where we helped put them back on the top step of the podium, and put in place the team that went on to win two world championships.

"Most recently we were together at Force India, and I'm delighted he sees the potential we have here, and has seized the opportunity to work with me, Tony [Fernandes] and the whole team on helping Lotus Racing reach the front of the grid."

Team owner Tony Fernandes also welcomed the new appointments, saying he was particularly pleased to attract established technical names early in his team's existence.

"I am honoured that these fantastic talents have put their careers and their faith in Lotus Racing, and see the very bright future we all have together here," he said.

"Formula 1 is a small world and the fact that they are coming to our team shows what we have already achieved in a very short period.

"Nothing will stop us from bringing in the best people we can, and we will give them the best working environment, and create the perfect atmosphere for them to fulfil their own potential, and help us in our quest to reach the top."

Now the question is, how come Force India keep losing key staff like this? First sacking Kolles and Gascoyne, then losing Fisichella to Ferrari, then losing James Key to Sauber and now this.
So far, they have done well regardless, mostly with help from McLaren and Mercedes but also under their own steam. But eventually these losses are going to hurt them.

Lotus are extremely quickly gathering momentum - Gascoyne knows what he is doing!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8808856.stm

The new Lotus team are closing on a deal to switch to Renault engines next year, BBC Sport understands.

Lotus team principal Tony Fernandes and technical director Mike Gascoyne had a meeting with Renault on Sunday morning at the British Grand Prix.
Both sides are keen on a deal, which is expected to include road car tie-ins.

Gascoyne refused to comment on Renault but said: "We have a contract with Cosworth and we're discussing with them ways to work together in the future."

Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell are among the drivers who have previously raced Renault-powered Lotus cars in Formula 1.

The team ran the engines from 1983 to 1986, winning five races.

Lotus, who are the most competitive of the three new teams on the grid this season, currently use Cosworth engines.

The new Malaysian-backed team brought the Lotus name back into F1 for the first time since 1994, when Team Lotus collapsed because of financial reasons.

The new team is called Lotus Racing but BBC Sport understands they are close to finalising a deal with the owners of the Team Lotus brand to reinstate the historic name.

The new Lotus team is already being treated by F1 authorities as a continuation of the former one, which was set up by the legendary Colin Chapman, earning prize and appearance money on the basis of Team Lotus's historic results.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87198

Autosport
Lotus to use Red Bull gearbox from 2011

Lotus Racing has confirmed that it will use Red Bull Technology gearboxes and hydraulic systems from the 2011 season.

The news follows on from the announcement that the team has ended its relationship with Cosworth. Lotus had used Xtrac gearboxes and hydraulics during its debut season in 2010.

"The announcement that we have reached a multi-year agreement with Red Bull Technology for the supply of our gearboxes and hydraulics from 2011 is obviously a massive step forward for us, both in engineering terms, and as an expression of our ambitions for next year and for future championships," said technical chief Mike Gascoyne.

"The gearbox / hydraulics package obviously plays a critical role in the performance of the car, not just on track but in design and packaging terms, and this deal gives our design and aero teams a very exciting platform to work with.

"The removal of the double diffusers in 2011 will allow the whole grid to tighten up the rear bodywork and mechanical structures around the gearbox, and this supply deal will allow us to capitalise on that with our 2011 car. Exciting times lie ahead."

Lotus is expected to make two further announcements this week, one of them expected to be a new deal to use Renault engines from next season.

The move would mean Lotus would use the same engine/gearbox combination as Red Bull Racing.

"We are very pleased about Lotus Racing's decision to use Red Bull Technology gearboxes and hydraulic systems from 2011," added Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner.

"The fact that Red Bull Technology has been chosen to be a supplier to another team despite its short history demonstrates how much we have achieved since our first season. We very much look forward to working with Lotus Racing from 2011 onwards."

:D Sweet. Although one has to wonder if its the most reliable option :lol:.

All eyes on Team Lotus' progress between 2010 to 2011? They seem to be the team on the biggest move. Key Force India design and technical staff, 1 year experience behind them, Renault engines, Red Bull hydrualics and gearboxes....now we're going to get an announcement with Alonso moving to the team? :lol:

I'd say the use of Red Bull gear is because that stuff is already tailored to be used in conjunction with the Renault engine. Though I have heard people claim Red Bull will try and offload Daniel Ricciardo and/or Brendon Hartley into Lotus as a part of the deal. I think that's very unlikely.

Back