Lotus car (almost) unveiled...

• Thread starter yeti
  • 65 comments
Really??

captainobvious.jpg

Its a shakedown - not testing. Well, I guess being pedantic, it is testing but not in the sense of sending the car around for a considerable amount of laps for data. Its just making sure the chassis sticks together and the engine and gearbox are running ok.

I'm fairly sure at this point that we are going to see a green car for Lotus, if their current website is anything to go by.

Should be a good year for them and Virgin, these are my two favourites for this year, all the better that they are rivals. Solid driver line-ups, experienced technical support and good finances. They are a shining example of what a new team should do and provide such a contrast to the complete mess that is the USF1 and Campos entries.
Lotus is especially impressive seeing as the other 3 new teams have had far longer to prepare, yet Lotus is only a week behind Virgin and way ahead of the other 2 it seems.

Edit: Consider me very excited!
jegtu8k93.jpg

kugai1e92.jpg

Seems they are in Jerez? If so, I apologise Yeti....it seems Lotus have pulled a quick one and managed to get to the tests without anyone knowing!

Last edited:
Yeah - Shakedown - Testing - same thing really...

Good find about them in Jerez... I assumed that they would be shaking it down in the UK somewhere... but maybe Jerez is where they're off to...

The BBC article sheds no extra light on their location - I guess some news later in the day will!

C.

Dude :drool:

The wheels add a lot to that livery, a bit of a JPS thing going on there (hope there is a bit more gold from a top view).

Solid driver line-ups, experienced technical support and good finances. They are a shining example of what a new team should do and provide such a contrast to the complete mess that is the USF1 and Campos entries.
Lotus is especially impressive seeing as the other 3 new teams have had far longer to prepare, yet Lotus is only a week behind Virgin and way ahead of the other 2 it seems.

It helps when you're a manufacturer team (or backed by a public corporation)...:grumpy:

It helps when you're a manufacturer team (or backed by a public corporation)...:grumpy:

Apparently their budget is only around £55 million (I think its £, not sure). They are getting a little bit from Malaysian companies, but Group Lotus and Proton appear to have little invovlement beyond some sponsorship.

Its not exactly a Toyota or McLaren is it? Its more akin to Ford's invovlement with Stewart - a small contribution but largely an independent team.

Even so, its still impressive that they attracted so much experienced personnel. Its not like they are rolling in money, they have a budget on a similar level to Virgin and just a bit more than what Campos and USF1 expected to have.

Apparently their budget is only around £55 million (I think its £, not sure). They are getting a little bit from Malaysian companies, but Group Lotus and Proton appear to have little invovlement beyond some sponsorship.

Its not exactly a Toyota or McLaren is it? Its more akin to Ford's invovlement with Stewart - a small contribution but largely an independent team.

Even so, its still impressive that they attracted so much experienced personnel. Its not like they are rolling in money, they have a budget on a similar level to Virgin and just a bit more than what Campos and USF1 expected to have.

You still can't compare them on equal terms. One is privately financed, the other has the backing of a corporation, which however small it may seem compared to Mercedes or Ferrari, is still a stronger foundation than relying on millionaire money.

And you don't have to focus on what they said at the beginning about their involvement; clearly they're not making an effort anymore to distance themselves from the original Lotus F1, and with good reason. An established, proven successful brand is more marketable; it's way different when you're starting an unknown team with absolutely no history.

This is not about USF1 or Campos doing things wrong (they may be, but their owners have experience in the way things work in F1, so it's unlikely). Simply put, in this day and age it's hard enough for a brand like Renault to get sponsors the way the economy is, even more so for a new team without initial backing.

You still can't compare them on equal terms. One is privately financed, the other has the backing of a corporation, which however small it may seem compared to Mercedes or Ferrari, is still a stronger foundation than relying on millionaire money.

And you don't have to focus on what they said at the beginning about their involvement; clearly they're not making an effort anymore to distance themselves from the original Lotus F1, and with good reason. An established, proven successful brand is more marketable; it's way different when you're starting an unknown team with absolutely no history.

This is not about USF1 or Campos doing things wrong (they may be, but their owners have experience in the way things work in F1, so it's unlikely). Simply put, in this day and age it's hard enough for a brand like Renault to get sponsors the way the economy is, even more so for a new team without initial backing.

Indeed, they naturally benefitted from being branded "Lotus"...but most of the backing they have appears to be from Fernandes' and Malaysia...which isn't the same thing as people coming onboard because of the Lotus name.
It seems to me they have used the Lotus name to gather interest in the team for media purposes, but its really a Malaysian F1 team with a little less nationalism than Force India or USF1.
Its irrelevant where the money has come from, its the fact that they have money.

My point is really that they had the backing from the start, whereas USF1 and Campos have clearly tried to secure the finances during their development and attempted to cover some of the problem by hiring pay drivers. (well USF1 has at least)

I hardly think that Lotus has been able to hire people just on brand alone. Gascoyne being part of the operation and leading it from the start has probably been the biggest draw for Trulli, Kovalainen and those Toyota staff. Same goes for Virgin - with Nick Wirth and the Manor team, they also had some credibility before F1. The money they had in order to pay salaries also will have helped, and not asking driver's to bring cash themselves.
I'm surprised Campos hasn't found someone to partner Senna but then it appears they never had the finances to pay anyone. The Dallara chassis should be decent but it seems more that the lack of cash has been the problem for them.
USF1 just lack credibility all around to hire people like Trulli. Not to mention money.

Eye catching, jaw-dropping, memory-bringing, gorgeous!!! I can't choose between the MGP, the Virgin, and this Lotus for the best livery of the season. Looks quite promising.

It'd suck that they had lame performance with such historic names and colors.

Indeed, they naturally benefitted from being branded "Lotus"...but most of the backing they have appears to be from Fernandes' and Malaysia...which isn't the same thing as people coming onboard because of the Lotus name.
It seems to me they have used the Lotus name to gather interest in the team for media purposes, but its really a Malaysian F1 team with a little less nationalism than Force India or USF1.
Its irrelevant where the money has come from, its the fact that they have money.

My point is really that they had the backing from the start, whereas USF1 and Campos have clearly tried to secure the finances during their development and attempted to cover some of the problem by hiring pay drivers. (well USF1 has at least)

I hardly think that Lotus has been able to hire people just on brand alone. Gascoyne being part of the operation and leading it from the start has probably been the biggest draw for Trulli, Kovalainen and those Toyota staff. Same goes for Virgin - with Nick Wirth and the Manor team, they also had some credibility before F1. The money they had in order to pay salaries also will have helped, and not asking driver's to bring cash themselves.
I'm surprised Campos hasn't found someone to partner Senna but then it appears they never had the finances to pay anyone. The Dallara chassis should be decent but it seems more that the lack of cash has been the problem for them.
USF1 just lack credibility all around to hire people like Trulli. Not to mention money.

In short, sponsorship is hard to come by these days.

It's not about what USF1 did or didn't do. So it's not fair to say Lotus is an example for what to do as a new team, when they had no financial worries in the first place, something USF1/Campos are not afforded.

Eye catching, jaw-dropping, memory-bringing, gorgeous!!! I can't choose between the MGP, the Virgin, and this Lotus for the best livery of the season. Looks quite promising.

It'd suck that they had lame performance with such historic names and colors.

Well don't expect brilliant results, it is a new team and car after all. Even points are optimistic at this point, just making a solid car that finishes races is the main objective for this season.

In short, sponsorship is hard to come by these days.

It's not about what USF1 did or didn't do. So it's not fair to say Lotus is an example for what to do as a new team, when they had no financial worries in the first place, something USF1/Campos are not afforded.

Well, its rediculous the FIA even let them in without any backing whatsoever when there were teams like Lola and Prodrive who apparently did have substantial backing already in place.
It is a perfectly "fair" thing to say - basically don't start an F1 team unless you have the money.

Well, its rediculous the FIA even let them in without any backing whatsoever when there were teams like Lola and Prodrive who apparently did have substantial backing already in place.
It is a perfectly "fair" thing to say - basically don't start an F1 team unless you have the money.

On the same level one can also say "Don't start a new team unless you can win races".

When one relies on outside sponsorship, one is at the whim of the marketing dept. of a beverage company. True, an established racing team is probably more legitimate, but if you decline all new entries because their sponsors might pull out (as was the fate of USF1), you'll never have new teams.

Granted, I'm not too hot about new teams, but you can't deny them entry just because they're taking the hard way into F1.

On the same level one can also say "Don't start a new team unless you can win races".

When one relies on outside sponsorship, one is at the whim of the marketing dept. of a beverage company. True, an established racing team is probably more legitimate, but if you decline all new entries because their sponsors might pull out (as was the fate of USF1), you'll never have new teams.

Granted, I'm not too hot about new teams, but you can't deny them entry just because they're taking the hard way into F1.

Yes, you can. If I have 1 team who provides proof that yes, they have finances in place and almost certainly will finish the season and 1 team who says they have some finances and hope to secure more by the start of the season - who is the more logical entry?
The FIA was meant to have picked the best entries, its not about being nice.

If USF1 and Campos were the only entries ready at the time, then yes, it would make sense. But it is clear they were not and they don't appear to have been the best choices.

Its not at all like saying you "should only enter if you can win races". Are you attempting to say that the FIA should allow teams in regardless of if they can finish the season?

I suspect the choices were made to "spread the wealth" away from the UK...

It was a business decision to get more Spanish and USA fans in... rather than any idea that these teams might do anything...

However that wouldn't work with the americans - I'm pretty sure it goes against the US Ethos to back a losing horse.

ANYWAYS...

Here's some more info from the Beeb...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8507072.stm

C.

Last edited:
However that wouldn't work with the americans - I'm pretty sure it goes against the US Ethos to back a losing horse.

"Winning isn't everything, it the ONLY thing"

National pride only goes so far, Americans like winners. Doesn't matter if its a Fin in an Italian car or Brit in German engined car, "just win, baby"!

Good grief, that car looks fantastic! When I saw the spy photo of it I wasn't a fan of the livery colours, but now it's finished with all the sponsoring and the yellow stripes here and there, it looks amazing. I especially like the yellow rims, we need more coloured rims in F1.

Is it just me or does it look very similar to last year's Toyota? It may be just the nose, it looks heavily like the nose on the TF109.

Back