Lotus Evija (Type 130)

Premier reveal at 2:00 PM EST (in 14 min of this post)

Edit:

Leaked a while ago

lotus_hypercar_-_front_watermarked.jpg

Last edited:
Williams-engineered 70 kWh battery pack and a target output close to 2000 horsepower, this four-wheel drive EV weighing 3700 lbs...with 1253 foot pounds of torque, and a price tag in the $2.5 million region.

Lotus says that thanks to the 70 kWh lithium-ion battery pack's power output of 2000 kW, the Evija will reach 186mph in under nine seconds, after blasting to sixty in sub three. It's also a 200+ mile an hour affair, yet unlike most battery electric vehicles, Lotus' hypercar doesn't use a floor-mounted battery pack. Instead, the cells and inverters are mid-mounted behind the driver. Lotus says this layout delivers "significant advantages in terms of styling, aerodynamics, packaging, weight distribution, occupant comfort and dynamic handling", while also allowing for easy servicing, maintenance, and possibly battery upgrades in the future. No word on center of gravity.

the Evija’s charge time will be 12 minutes to 80 percent, and 18 to full. Lotus is aiming for a range of 250 miles

Only 130 people will be lucky enough to own Lotus' first completely new car in decades, a $2.3+ million electric vehicle with a build slot deposit of $315,000

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...ja-electric-hypercar-photos-specs-info-price/

A bunch of screenshots from the video. It is a stunning car:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-12-32.png

unknown.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-12-54.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-13-3.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-13-17.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-13-49.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-14-10.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-14-36.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-14-42.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-16-26.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-17-44.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-18-32.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-19-25.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-19-38.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-20-18.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-20-32.png

upload_2019-7-16_14-24-50.png

It looks absolutely stunning. The side profile is a real sculpture.

And I think that the figures are quite realistic, compared to the Tesla Roadster 0-60mph under 2sec and 250mph with 800 miles of range in a 2+2 saloon (despite Tesla being capable of that tech...)

The charging time is more impressive to me than the power, which at this point should just be specified as "plenty" :lol:

Edit: 1400kw and a 70kwh battery. Flat out, you're getting about 2.9 minutes of battery life. Surely draining a battery that fast is going to generate a massive amount of heat. Not to mention the motors will be drawing something like 4,000 amps. Good lord.

Last edited:
Just under ~2000hp... The next Aladdin flying carpet is ready :cool:

Beside the fact it's an electric car :grumpy: (I'm born too late... damn), the design is simple, back of the car is cool, the front looks like the last Brabham car.

I desperately want this stupid thing in gt sport. The curve and holes on this beast will look like a postmodern sculpture in scape mode.

Anyway it will be a gr.x if it comes, but the Elise and Evora... I hope Sony is talking with Geely.

Soulless looking car but i guess cars today are what they are.

Also that's one ugly looking rear :eek:
Those EV hypecars look all the same, but this lotus has more curves and more holes, which is way too better than the rimac or something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's becoming important for EV manufacturers to start talking about the technical specifics of the powertrain beyond just peak motor power and battery capacity. People that are interested in cars like to be able to relate to the physics or mechanics behind an engine configuration. What are the key characteristics of the drivetrain design that enable it to perform how it does? I mean, most car people get why a quad turbo 8 litre, W16 engine is going to be high performance, beyond just stating its got 1400hp. I think it would be interesting to know more about the motor construction and possibly the battery performance stats.

I think it's becoming important for EV manufacturers to start talking about the technical specifics of the powertrain beyond just peak motor power and battery capacity. People that are interested in cars like to be able to relate to the physics or mechanics behind an engine configuration. What are the key characteristics of the drivetrain design that enable it to perform how it does? I mean, most car people get why a quad turbo 8 litre, W16 engine is going to be high performance, beyond just stating its got 1400hp. I think it would be interesting to know more about the motor construction and possibly the battery performance stats.
I think it’s because we are still (to our era’s standards) in the infancy of electric motors. Back in early days of gas engines, I’m sure they explained it as just a “motor” and it made the thing move. I’m sure as more innovations come and the more electric motors reinvent themselves, we’ll start to see more tech talk with them. For now there’s not much to know other than it’s electric. All electric motors are the same at the moment.

You could take the badges off and no one would actually know it's a Lotus, there's no design cues that highlights or ties-in the past models of the brand. It's just a generic hybrid/ aero dependent supercar shape like all the ones we've seen in recent years.

Looks like Lotus is doing anything in order to be back in GT Sport:lol::sly:

Well, the car looks amazing. The only thing I personally don't like is the rear lights. I would prefer if there was the upper line not being rounded and so big.

The front? Ferrari F8 Tributo. The side? F8 Tributo/La Ferrari :D . The back? Oh my... :ouch: It's like the Senna. It's fast as hell but ugly as hell too. IMHO.

How much electricity would this setup use? Per this calculator and specs I've found on the internet, the Elise has a 0.4Cd (not great) and 1.6m^2 frontal area. Substituting our 2500lbs version, that equates to about 17hp needed to maintain 65mph, steady state. 17hp = 12,700 watts. So if we take a 190v system (half of the P85, again) and 12,700 watts, we end up with a ~67 amp current draw at 65mph. This equates to roughly 195wh/mi electricty usage if you aren't caning it. With our 600lbs, 42.5kwh battery, that would give a maximum range of just shy of 220 miles. Maybe not good for a big sedan, but seemingly perfect for a 'lightweight' sports car. Obviously if you are caning it, it wouldn't go nearly as far
While that calculator is correct that most of the power is consumed by aero drag, you can't ignore rolling resistance. This gives a Crr for car tyres on asphalt of 0.02:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/rolling-friction-resistance-d_1303.html
So the power consumed in overcoming rolling resistance would be approx:
0.02 * (2500/2.2) * 9.80665 * (65*1.61/3.6) = ~6500W

Nothing to see, moving on! But ... it looks rather good though.

At least Lotus can say that it has the longest .......
You clicked. Why? :odd:

upload_2019-7-16_14-19-38-png.836277

Looks insane, although not really like a Lotus. I wonder if future Elise or Esprit will have similar design bits (that's if they're released at all).

For me, I follow your thoughts, it doesn't look like a lotus to me too, but, in the other hand, it does ! Like in one of the video's, the aerodynamics are explained and it is very Lotus like it has so many clever solutions like Lotus chairman Colin Chapman did in the 70's. And looking at it, like another hypercar, asumingably around 2.000kgs, this car is +300kg's lighter !! For an electric car !

That's what Chapman always said.. "Simplify, than add lightness."

It's a Lotus in a new Lotus-era, not the crazy crapness we saw in the late zero's, with 6 concept cars on the Paris Autoshow and no one of them being produced.. Geely understand what heritage means and they let them do their own thing ! 👍

On one hand, I think the Evija looks amazing and it's really nice to see Lotus are capable of designing of the most high tech hypercars around, rather than constantly tweaking products in their lineup which are over a decade old.

On the other hand, I can't really get excited over very limited run cars with price tags well into the 7-digit range. You know these cars are going to end up being driven by posers and it is far too valuable for most owners to even consider unleashing all 2,000 horses.

But I am intrigued to see this design language and EV tech make its way to future Lotus cars. Wake me up when Lotus create something that weighs under 1500kg, can do 0-60 in less than three seconds and costs less than £200,000. In order words, something that can undercut the Tesla Roadster. ;)

Last edited:
I think it looks amazing, proper hot wheels vibe to it. I see plenty of design cues from other cars in other ranges, looks very Ferrari at the front, I actually dislike the front more than I do the rest, i think the sides and rear are awesome I love the so called "afterburner" effect of the rear light arrangement.

However yeah...only ever going to be a GT Vision/ future GT car or a future Forza car :D. If design cues go towards there mid range replacements to the sub 200k/150k market targeting Tesla Roadster era of machines, I'll be very excited to see this too...eventually.

You could take the badges off
Actually you can't, because they're inlaid directly to the carbon fibre :D
no one would actually know it's a Lotus, there's no design cues that highlights or ties-in the past models of the brand. It's just a generic hybrid/ aero dependent supercar shape like all the ones we've seen in recent years.
Looks more Ferrari than Lotus.
Looks insane, although not really like a Lotus. I wonder if future Elise or Esprit will have similar design bits (that's if they're released at all).
For me, I follow your thoughts, it doesn't look like a lotus to me too, but, in the other hand, it does !
On the other hand, I can't really get excited over very limited run cars with price tags well into the 7-digit range. You know these cars are going to end up being driven by posers and it is far too valuable for most owners to even consider unleashing all 2,000 horses.

But I am intrigued to see this design language and EV tech make its way to future Lotus cars.
The key to this is not that it looks like Lotuses did (not that it's ever had a brand "look"), but that it looks like Lotuses will - while retaining the core Lotus drivers of lightness and (as part of that) no free ride for parts.

It's a £2m halo car for nothing short of a brand relaunch - which will also, in the very near future, include an SUV based on the XC40/Lynk 03/Polestar 2 following the same values.

Isn’t it a bit silly to build a car that in all likelihood won’t make it around 1 lap of the Nürburgring at full power?

It’s pretty simple to provide insane amounts of peak power with EV’s, but in my opinion it’s ridiculous to do it just for bragging rights.

I wonder if the side of the car's lower case E shape is a coincidence or deliberate? Lotus seem to love the letter E...

The way the rear wing drops flush with the bodywork to clean the lines is a brilliant idea and there's a real attention to detail with how they're cleaning the airflow. The rear's dirty great nostrils were shocking at the first look but in the context of the whole car, a very cool design feature. I think it's one of the most beautiful hyper cars I've ever seen.

Can you place an Elan, Europa, Esprit, Elise S1 and Evora together and tell me what a « Lotus style » is ?

To me it’s not about some clues in the design, it’s more about a purity and smoothness of the lines* and a natural stance, which the Evija has.

And it may also look more « Lotus » with another spec :

885E143B-630E-48F1-8798-1150C2A0E0B1.jpeg

*except for the hardcore versions like the Evora GT430 or Exiges.

Back