Lotus Evija (Type 130)

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
Lotus-Type-130.jpg

• Lotus continues its legendary bloodline with Type 130 confirmed as an all-new hypercar, now in advanced stages of development
  • First glimpse of the new vehicle is revealed at Shanghai International Auto Show 2019
"The Type 130 will be the most dynamically accomplished Lotus in our history," said CEO Phil Popham. "It marks a turning point for our brand and is a showcase of what we are capable of and what is to come from Lotus."

The all-new car will be revealed, together with the full remarkable details and specification of this technical tour de force, in London, the birthplace of Lotus, later this year.

https://media.lotuscars.com/en/news...d’s-first-full-electric-british-hypercar.html

Totally with you on this one

It ain't Lotus unless it barely fits 2 people and weighs under 1 tonne
Exactly. Unless this "cross over" is just an Exige with a lift kit, it's gonna be a huge waste of time imho. But who knows, these dumb crossover things sell like hotcakes at Ihop on international pancake day.

Last edited:
sick of electric already and its kinda just getting started, wheres my flippin 8.0 litre twin turbo v12's????????

If you want something like that you should buy it now... because it's in the rear view mirror.

Well, for me as a Lotus driver and fan, it's also not the way I want to see Lotus is going, but I guess they have to and this far Geely is offering them a lot of space to invest and progress to increase production and ambitions.

And like the SUV, which would be a SUV based on the polsestar chassis I guess, will be a car under the 2 tonne (lightest sports utility vehicle) and they won't produce the car unless it would be the fastest suv on the Nurburgring. That's what I remember from the factory tour my husband and I got one year ago. We also spotted a glimpse of an Evora spider and it's about time they are going to release ideas about the next generation Elises and Exiges.

I, personally, would much rather see Lotus use their expertise to make a lightweight, accessible electric sports car.

Thought experiment: Telsa's 85kwh battery pack weighs 1200lbs and the car itself weighs 4200lbs. It has a range of 250 miles, roughly.

The Lotus Elise weights about 2000lbs. Let's say Lotus is able to make a 42.5kwh battery pack that weighs 600lbs. Fluffing the numbers a bit because electric drivetrains are a little lighter than ICE + Accessories, lets say Lotus was able to make a 2500lbs electric car, based on the Elise. That's a good start.

How much electricity would this setup use? Per this calculator and specs I've found on the internet, the Elise has a 0.4Cd (not great) and 1.6m^2 frontal area. Substituting our 2500lbs version, that equates to about 17hp needed to maintain 65mph, steady state. 17hp = 12,700 watts. So if we take a 190v system (half of the P85, again) and 12,700 watts, we end up with a ~67 amp current draw at 65mph. This equates to roughly 195wh/mi electricty usage if you aren't caning it. With our 600lbs, 42.5kwh battery, that would give a maximum range of just shy of 220 miles. Maybe not good for a big sedan, but seemingly perfect for a 'lightweight' sports car. Obviously if you are caning it, it wouldn't go nearly as far.

In terms of power....
V x A = watts. If we benchmark Tesla, again, the P100D ludicrous has a maximum current draw of 1600amps. If we apply that to our fictional Lotus, it would be: 190v x 1600a = 300kw = 400hp. 400hp in a 2500lbs car sounds pretty awesome to me.

Last edited:
Evil.

200px-Drevil_million_dollars.jpg
I reckon that's not far off - I think it'll be Eveil.

Lotus likes its E-names, and it also (Evora aside) likes them to be French words (so in fact most of them start with an acute-accented E). Elan (impulse), Esprit (mind), Eclat (glow), and you don't need me to translate Excel and Europa.

The last time Lotus came back from the dead was 1998's Elise - French for "return". Eveil is French for "awakening", and fits very nicely with the EV theme too.

If I'm right, I'll claim my five pounds :D

I reckon that's not far off - I think it'll be Eveil.

Lotus likes its E-names, and it also (Evora aside) likes them to be French words (so in fact most of them start with an acute-accented E). Elan (impulse), Esprit (mind), Eclat (glow), and you don't need me to translate Excel and Europa.

The last time Lotus came back from the dead was 1998's Elise - French for "return". Eveil is French for "awakening", and fits very nicely with the EV theme too.

If I'm right, I'll claim my five pounds :D
Espoir (french for hope) fits quite well too...

I, personally, would much rather see Lotus use their expertise to make a lightweight, accessible electric sports car.

Thought experiment: Telsa's 85kwh battery pack weighs 1200lbs and the car itself weighs 4200lbs. It has a range of 250 miles, roughly.

The Lotus Elise weights about 2000lbs. Let's say Lotus is able to make a 42.5kwh battery pack that weighs 600lbs. Fluffing the numbers a bit because electric drivetrains are a little lighter than ICE + Accessories, lets say Lotus was able to make a 2500lbs electric car, based on the Elise. That's a good start.

How much electricity would this setup use? Per this calculator and specs I've found on the internet, the Elise has a 0.4Cd (not great) and 1.6m^2 frontal area. Substituting our 2500lbs version, that equates to about 17hp needed to maintain 65mph, steady state. 17hp = 12,700 watts. So if we take a 190v system (half of the P85, again) and 12,700 watts, we end up with a ~67 amp current draw at 65mph. This equates to roughly 195wh/mi electricty usage if you aren't caning it. With our 600lbs, 42.5kwh battery, that would give a maximum range of just shy of 220 miles. Maybe not good for a big sedan, but seemingly perfect for a 'lightweight' sports car. Obviously if you are caning it, it wouldn't go nearly as far.

In terms of power....
V x A = watts. If we benchmark Tesla, again, the P100D ludicrous has a maximum current draw of 1600amps. If we apply that to our fictional Lotus, it would be: 190v x 1600a = 300kw = 400hp. 400hp in a 2500lbs car sounds pretty awesome to me.

So what you're saying is.

They'll take Tesla Roadsters and put Lotus badges back on them.

Back