Love PC1 should I get PC2 now or wait?

• Thread starter Milan254
  • 96 comments
Going on the list of items in the first post, sure get it now.

The game isn't broken across the board (much as some feel so) and while there are issues, if you just like racing offline there will be many combinations you can try just to have fun while patches improve things.

You might hit some issues, you might hit inconsistencies, but there are so many combinations of cars, tracks, weather and time of day that you'll find something enjoyable without looking far.

The physics, controls, ffb and features are a definite improvement over PC1 too.

May I attempt to bring you to the dark side of the PC Master Race? We have cake.

portal-cake-300x250.jpg

Seriously, I'm like 10 hours into pC2 and I haven't hit a single problem yet. It's incroidable.

May I attempt to bring you to the dark side of the PC Master Race? We have cake.

portal-cake-300x250.jpg

Seriously, I'm like 10 hours into pC2 and I haven't hit a single problem yet. It's incroidable.

Nice to hear you have no problems. Is this for PS4 Pro? using a wheel or a controller? difficulty selected when you started the career?

I can't vouch for the PS4 version, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the PC version. I only like offline career as well and it is great fun. AI is much better after the patch a few weeks ago and I haven't had problems. I play on a wheel so cannot speak for controller, but the wheel works perfectly for me. Loads of fun, and if you enjoyed Pcars1, go for it.

A I bought and sold GT sport, just boring. Still love playing PC1. Need your opinion if most of the issues on PS4 Pro have been fixed or wait for more patches.

B I play offline only. Is the career mode better than PC1

C How is the framerate and graphics on PS4 Pro and 4K TV comparing to PC1

D I use controller only, any issues?

Would appreciate any information on the above.

I enjoyed PC1 - bought the Game of the year edition with all the dlc included. I enjoy PC2 even more - I use a PS4 Pro. Personally I have not noticed any graphical issues - looks fine to me - I haven't noticed any difference in the visuals compared with PC1. I also didn't notice any difference after the recent patch.

However the big problem for me with PC2 is that it is very quiet. This might not be an issue for you, but some people are having to turn their TV way up to hear the game and some are struggling to hear it with headphones.

My advice - I think the game is good and worth getting, but if you are enjoying PC1 carry on with that at least until you have completed the career and maybe redone the career at a more difficult level. Consider buying PC2 in a few months time, but there is no need to buy it now. It won't be good for the career mode at the moment with inconsistent AI, but will be much better - and possibly much cheaper as well in a few months time.

I enjoyed PC1 - bought the Game of the year edition with all the dlc included. I enjoy PC2 even more - I use a PS4 Pro. Personally I have not noticed any graphical issues - looks fine to me - I haven't noticed any difference in the visuals compared with PC1. I also didn't notice any difference after the recent patch.

However the big problem for me with PC2 is that it is very quiet. This might not be an issue for you, but some people are having to turn their TV way up to hear the game and some are struggling to hear it with headphones.

My advice - I think the game is good and worth getting, but if you are enjoying PC1 carry on with that at least until you have completed the career and maybe redone the career at a more difficult level. Consider buying PC2 in a few months time, but there is no need to buy it now. It won't be good for the career mode at the moment with inconsistent AI, but will be much better - and possibly much cheaper as well in a few months time.

I am flattered with all the great response. I will take your advise and continue with PC1. I have a long way to go yet and I had Zero issues with the default controller settings, Zero issues with graphics and best of all not a single crash. I’ll wait for couple more patches and definitely get the PC2 for like everybody else I want the latest and the greatest (but less bugs)

Thank you again to all and enjoy some scary movies on Halloween!!!

I am flattered with all the great response. I will take your advise and continue with PC1. I have a long way to go yet and I had Zero issues with the default controller settings, Zero issues with graphics and best of all not a single crash. I’ll wait for couple more patches and definitely get the PC2 for like everybody else I want the latest and the greatest (but less bugs)

Thank you again to all and enjoy some scary movies on Halloween!!!

Its quite obvious that there is a huge difference of opinion as to the graphical quality of PC2 on PS4. It is more than a little baffling that the experience is from one extreme to the other. I find them to be quite awful, a big step back from PC1 and it looks like a last gen game to me. I purchased a PS4 Pro and a 4K HDR TV a week or two after buying the game and the improvement is barely noticeable. I'm bewildered that a game can release looking as bad as this in 2017, especially when the original looked so good. I never expected them to be worse, in fact if PC2 looked the same as PC1 I would be perfectly happy. I'm actually shocked by the graphics.

I could hardly keep the car on track with the out of the box controller handling, but managed to get it working real well after visiting some YouTube controller set up videos.

The ai is simply a disaster. The races I have had have been a wreck fest right from the beginning of the race even before the first corner. Its without a doubt the worst ai I have ever experienced in a racing game.

My advice would be to hold off until a few patches have dropped. If you can view & even better play a copy first hand on the platform that you will be using I suggest you do so, that is the only way you can know for sure if the issues are acceptable to you.

If I could return this game I would, i feel kind of ripped off tbh. I don't know if its possible or even how long it will take to repair the very many issues this title has on consoles.

I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating, it is high time that we had the same refund options for digital purchases of video games that steam has. It would only have taken me half an hour at most to decide to give up on PC2 and "return it".

Last edited:
Its quite obvious that there is a huge difference of opinion as to the graphical quality of PC2 on PS4. It is more than a little baffling that the experience is from one extreme to the other. I find them to be quite awful, a big step back from PC1 and it looks like a last gen game to me. I purchased a PS4 Pro and a 4K HDR TV a week or two after buying the game and the improvement is barely noticeable. I'm bewildered that a game can release looking as bad as this in 2017, especially when the original looked so good. I never expected them to be worse, in fact if PC2 looked the same as PC1 I would be perfectly happy. I'm actually shocked by the graphics.

I could hardly keep the car on track with the out of the box controller handling, but managed to get it working real well after visiting some YouTube controller set up videos.

The ai is simply a disaster. The races I have had have been a wreck fest right from the beginning of the race even before the first corner. Its without a doubt the worst ai I have ever experienced in a racing game.

My advice would be to hold off until a few patches have dropped. If you can view & even better play a copy first hand on the platform that you will be using I suggest you do so, that is the only way you can know for sure if the issues are acceptable to you.

If I could return this game I would, i feel kind of ripped off tbh. I don't know if its possible or even how long it will take to repair the very many issues this title has on consoles.

I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating, it is high time that we had the same refund options for digital purchases of video games that steam has. It would only have taken me half an hour at most to decide to give up on PC2 and "return it".
Supposedly the graphics are getting fixed in the next PS4 patch...But they are that bad currently i still dont see them being as good as PCars1.

Supposedly the graphics are getting fixed in the next PS4 patch...But they are that bad currently i still dont see them being as good as PCars1.
Ian Bell said the "nextish" patch so it may not even be the next one. Like you, I don't see the graphics getting to PCars1 quality though.

I think PC2 is worth getting for these three points :

• LiveTrack 3.0. It’s just mind blowing. The weather changes and how the water builds up and dries in the right places. I like to run long races and sometimes is mesmerising;
  • Online: The point system is working and is rather easy to have clean races, even wheel to wheel. I even had someone letting me pass on qualifying when I was on a hot lap and he/she was on the out lap; and
  • The sheer amount of track/car/condition combos.
Some other little things like how tuning works, AI (although some tweaks are still needed in rainy conditions and consistency across disciplines) being quite competitive and allowing decent racing, lots of community events, physics and a miriad of nice little gems make me looking for time to play every single day.

I upgraded to PS4 Pro after buying PC2 and don’t regret it. The smoothness is great now and the extra resolution and details are always welcomed. Still needs working on how items pop up and cars look far from the camera/POV and also the antialiasing. It’s not the best looking game currently but still good enough if you’re focused on racing. I personally prefer better physics, weather and time transitions than more eye candy.

Personally I don't understand the complaints about the graphics because I'm using a PS4 Pro and thoroughly enjoying the game and they look absolutely fine to me!

There is however no rush - this game will be out a long, long time before PC3 arrives and if you are not doing online racing there is no need to switch from PC1 yet. If I was in the ops position I would stick with PC1 for as long as possible.

There are lots of things wrong with PC2 that need improving, the most important of which for me is the lack of audio volume, however they aren't stopping me from enjoying the game to try out car and track combinations and race online with friends. I haven't tried the career and probably won't have time for that for many months.

Personally I don't understand the complaints about the graphics because I'm using a PS4 Pro and thoroughly enjoying the game and they look absolutely fine to me!

Did you play PCars1? Does the aggressive LOD pop not take you out of the immersion?

Soundwise i dont have any problem running through a 2k system but what ive found recently is its all to do with how your sound is setup. Fifa 18 alot of people complain that they can never hear the ball getting kicked yet i find the ball getting kicked slightly to loud.

Did you play PCars1? Does the aggressive LOD pop not take you out of the immersion?

Soundwise i dont have any problem running through a 2k system but what ive found recently is its all to do with how your sound is setup. Fifa 18 alot of people complain that they can never hear the ball getting kicked yet i find the ball getting kicked slightly to loud.

I played PC1 since November 2016. I am not noticing any graphics problems on PC2. I don't know what a LOD pop is, but I haven't noticed anything odd and nothing graphically is spoiling my immersion. I use a PS4 Pro connected to a 1080P 50 inch plasma screen and a physical copy of the game. I don't know whether people are getting more bugs from digital copies or whether that is even possible.

I can sre how for some people this can break immersion. But that beeing said it's a very subjective statement.
So I think us 'no problem with the graphics guys' need to accept people can be put of by certain issues of the graphics.

Now I personally don't care for graphics as I find this physics model way more immersive then pC1. This combined with my lack of a need for awesome graphics makes sure I have no issues with immersion.

So imo for the graphics issues you just need to ask yourself 'how important are graphics for me?'.

I can sre how for some people this can break immersion. But that beeing said it's a very subjective statement.
So I think us 'no problem with the graphics guys' need to accept people can be put of by certain issues of the graphics.

Now I personally don't care for graphics as I find this physics model way more immersive then pC1. This combined with my lack of a need for awesome graphics makes sure I have no issues with immersion.

So imo for the graphics issues you just need to ask yourself 'how important are graphics for me?'.
Personally speaking i bought a PS4 Pro to replace my PS4 for graphics. So far PCars 2 is the only game thats had a massive downgrade graphically from the PS4 original which leads me to believe they put zero effort into the Pro version. Sure i love the extra performance we get on the Pro but lets face it a few extra FPS is nothing when you see what other devs do with Pro games. We also had Ian Bell telling us there was no jaggies in the PS4 version just before release which of course sounded great at the time but was a pure lie!

Last edited:
Have moved on to GT Sport for the most part. Really wanted PC2 to be what it should be. The since of speed and the way the graphics are handled not to mention the car views in general are just much better in PC1. I am on PS4 and have fiddled with different settings (field of view, since of speed at the different views etc.), just nothing gets close to the feel of PC1. I will keep trying from time to time as least until a few more tracks are added to GT Sport. Might just play PC1 also when get a little tired or bored of GT Sport. Never really got the full experience of PC1, tried it out a few times 6 months or a year after realeased...but never really got into it until the game of the year was released. Oh well such is life "perfection is hard to be found".

Messed with a variety of settings this evening and at least have my T-150 wheel and general field of view and since of speed where the game provides decent enjoyment. Which there was a master save in order to be able to save all the settings you have adjusted so that you could more easily try other settings and always revert back to one that you know you like. Since of speed and world movement along with camera views still quite a bit lacking compared to PC1. On PC1(even PS4) I would say since of speed and camera views are excellent!

Last edited:
Target, Gamestop is having a black friday sale where PCARS2 is $30. I just got mine from Gamestop and after tax it was $35 and change.

Personally speaking i bought a PS4 Pro to replace my PS4 for graphics. So far PCars 2 is the only game thats had a massive downgrade graphically from the PS4 original which leads me to believe they put zero effort into the Pro version. Sure i love the extra performance we get on the Pro but lets face it a few extra FPS is nothing when you see what other devs do with Pro games. We also had Ian Bell telling us there was no jaggies in the PS4 version just before release which of course sounded great at the time but was a pure lie!

It would have been a lie if I'd have said it. Everything has 'jaggies' at some level... I suggest before you call me a liar you find that quote and I can guarantee the wording wasn't such.

I'm also not seeing this 'massive downgrade from PC1'. Everything has been improved with us almost doubling primitive counts with one exception and that's the additional temporal AA we ran on PC1. Too many reports of it making people feel ill so we stayed with standard AA this time.

It would have been a lie if I'd have said it. Everything has 'jaggies' at some level... I suggest before you call me a liar you find that quote and I can guarantee the wording wasn't such.

I'm also not seeing this 'massive downgrade from PC1'. Everything has been improved with us almost doubling primitive counts with one exception and that's the additional temporal AA we ran on PC1. Too many reports of it making people feel ill so we stayed with standard AA this time.
I linked you to the exact quote weeks ago...And im sorry but it was a massive downgrade graphically.....Off to find your quote......

edit:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ncements-detailed.358952/page-3#post-12000578

Bottom of the page.... "There are no 'horrible jaggies' either in normal gameplay"

Couldnt of been further from the truth Ian. At least the demo is a massive improvement now and would you not agree this is how the game should of been on release?

Last edited:
I linked you to the exact quote weeks ago...And im sorry but it was a massive downgrade graphically.....Off to find your quote......

edit:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ncements-detailed.358952/page-3#post-12000578

Bottom of the page.... "There are no 'horrible jaggies' either in normal gameplay"

Couldnt of been further from the truth Ian. At least the demo is a massive improvement now and would you not agree this is how the game should of been on release?
OK you can apologise at any point because 'no jaggies' and "There are no 'horrible jaggies' either in normal gameplay" are two very different statements.

We run 1080p with full EQAA. Yes on replays with bokeh there is a bug where the car can slip from the AA mask (since fixed). The replay isn't normal gameplay.

I have no further interest in engaging with you.

OK you can apologise at any point because 'no jaggies' and "There are no 'horrible jaggies' either in normal gameplay" are two very different statements.

We run 1080p with full EQAA. Yes on replays with bokeh there is a bug where the car can slip from the AA mask (since fixed). The replay isn't normal gameplay.

I have no further interest in engaging with you.
Project_CARS_2_20170927012703.png

No horrible jaggies Ian? Cmon your team seems to have fixed the game judging by the demo but how can you defend that no horrible jaggies comment? No wonder you have no interest in engaging further as all you can see in that screenshot is horrible jaggies.

Listen, you've attributed a quote to me I didn't make and called me a liar for making it.

'There are no jaggies' and "there are no 'horrible jaggies' either in normal gameplay", the emphasis on 'horrible', are two very different propositions. I stand by my opinion that the aliasing isn't 'horrible' during normal gameplay and that I'm not going to be called a liar by you after altering my quote.

Listen, you've attributed a quote to me I didn't make and called me a liar for making it.

'There are no jaggies' and "there are no 'horrible jaggies' either in normal gameplay", the emphasis on 'horrible', are two very different propositions. I stand by my opinion that the aliasing isn't 'horrible' during normal gameplay and that I'm not going to be called a liar by you after altering my quote.
Isnt horrible? Did you look at the screenshot? I think you would be hard
to find another PS4 game screenshot that suffers more jaggies than the PCars 2 screen above. Horribly Jaggy! Maybe its the HUD your talking about which is crystal clear.

edit:

If you are going to quote someone then please do so accurately.

Quote mining simply isn't acceptable.

Accept the fact that you have a different interpretation of the phrase, but that doesn't then give you a mandate to attempt to force a position on anyone.

"Jaggies" is reasonably objective - if a line that should be straight or have a smooth curve presents as jagged, there's "jaggies" in play.
"Horrible jaggies" very much enters the realm of subjectivity.

Tell him that he has low standards if you must, but don't tell him that he's lying.

Back