Major League Baseball: 2009 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 625 comments
Well, looks like there is a miracle happening, and that miracle goes by the name of the White Sox. Although we still need to sweep the Royals and need the White Sox to do the same to Detroit.

This weekend is crazy here in MN.:dunce::dopey::D

Edit: We are currently tied, tomorrow hopefully we will be in the playoffs.

Last edited:
The Astros' epic fail of a season concludes with 74 wins from the predicted 90 wins. I still love my favorite team and hometown team even though they didn't make the playoffs for the fourth-straight season.

Well, my team is done. Don't care who wins the World Series as long as it's an NL team. See you next season (or at least when the World Series has been decided)...

Don't be so negative John, 2010 is a clean slate for the Astros, lots of talented players, a new manager guiding them, they might come from nowhere and win the division next year.

D-Backs season was disappointing to say the least, last in the division, 90+ losses, a team that isn't much different from when they won 90+ games 2 years ago. AJ Hinch did a superb job as interim manager despite a fair bit of criticism from fans and media in AZ questioning the switch.

The D-backs are certainly a team to watch in the future, they have great pitching, everybody is surely looking forward to Brandon Webb coming back in '10, Dan Haren had another great year, Max Scherzer was also pretty good in his first full year as starter. The offense is also great, but it is terribly inconsistent, young guys like Justin Upton, Chris Young and Mark Reynolds need to take better advantage being everyday players and hit for better average, not just power.

I was let down a little by the snakes, but I'm excited and hopeful that they'll be contending next year with the Dodgers, Giants and Rockies.

2 years in a row we have had a tie breaker, according to ESPN this is the first time this has ever happened in the MLB. This year is also the first time there has been a tie breaker 3 years in a row.
2007: Rockies Vs. Padres
2008: Twins Vs. White Sox
2009: Tigers Vs. Twins

I'm always stunned and compelled about all these stats for Major League Baseball. It's the only sport where you somewhat accurately get stats like these for a game that's been around for at least a century and a half. I'm most stunned with the "for the first-time ever in the MLB" phrase in regards to successive years with a tie breaker.

Who ya got in the Tigers/Twins tie break?

I'm taking the Twins, hottest team in baseball, at home in the dome.

We win 6-5 in 12 innings. I hope we aren't to tired tomorrow. It is nice to be on the opposite side of last year.

Rockies vs. Phillies game is underway. Go Rocks!

....and its over. 5-1 loss for the Rockies.

Last edited:
I'm rooting for the Twins, as they are the only team in the playoffs I don't hate. The managements screwed over the Giants in September... I mean we had a good lead in the wild card ALL year long... And they can't adjust, and not they want to bring back Sabean and Bochy. At least our hitting coach is leaving, he really screwed up a lot of our rookies. I will explain all this in a later post, I don't feel like getting worked up right now.

We predictably lost, hopefully we can play better with some rest. Maybe Cabrera can break the bat next time as well.

Yankees just won 4-3 and are now 2-0 in this playoff series. This, after the Yanks swept the regular season series against Minnesota 7-0.

These playoffs are looking kinda like the NBA playoffs of the last couple years when the home teams won all their games.

Beautiful weather expected for Phillies at the Rockies... if you consider a lot of snow as suitable baseball weather.

Yankees... yuck.. Phillies... yuck.. Dodgers... yuck.. Angels... yuck..

I want a Phillies/Angels series because that's what ESPN doesn't want. And because Dodgers and Yankees are major yuck yuck.

I think its time to make a uber mega awesome post of awesomeness all about the uber mega Gigantes!!!! Woooo.

So 2009 was uber suck suck... In the end, poor management and tons of injury's took us out of the playoffs and some uber mega yuck yuck hitting but injury's and management mostly kept us out. Bochy did not want bunt the ball at all so we lost out on tons of runs... That and we had no plate discipline at all...

In the end our dumb management decided Sabean and Bochy should come back for 2 years and a option for a third. But knowing how much we love bad coaching and paying over the hill veterans premium salaries they will get the third year without a second thought. The end of the season conference was very disappointing because they seem to be aiming for 88 wins again not going all out to put on a team to win the World Series which is completely possible with the best pitching in baseball and being one of the richer teams in the league. But all our management cares about is fans showing up at the stadium and not winning.

Hopefully it will all change with some acquisitions and some of our cancers on our team leaving. First things first is not to resign Molina. The dude wants 2-4 years which is ridiculous with Posey who is considered the Lincecum of catching. (Both won the Golden Spike award.) The kid is a human howitzer. Didn't show any great hitting at the major league level but only had 17 AB's. Which is not enough of a sample size... But you just can't resign Molina, he is slower then molasses, has the plate discipline of a 9 year old kid with ADD high on meth. If Posey isn't ready, have Whiteside come in and play catcher. He also has a cannon of an arm and calls an amazing game. (Was a HUGE factor at turning Zito around.. Also called Sanchez's no hitter.) His hitting is the downside but its serviceable for a #8.

Our outfield is a complete mess with a dumb vet and rookies who are not completely proven. We saw what Schierholtz has but overall is only a good #4. Does have pop in his bat (10-15 HR's a year) and plays RF better then anyone else I've ever seen here. He steals doubles away from fast runners with a arm just as good as Francoeurs. Fred Lewis who has amazing speed, very good pop but needs to learn the strike zone; Plagued with bad defense and does have a questionable foot. Velez (can also play 2B) who is much like Lewis, but he defiantly showed how hot he can get. He reminds me a lot of Winn, other then not being a good fielder but he is defiantly improving dramatically. When he is hot he really drives the ball and showed that he can hit the ball as far as anyone. (Think 15 home runs over a full season, possibly in the range of 17-20 if he learns the strike zone better.) But he has improved to the point where he will draw a walk and then steal 2B. And then we have Andres Torress who is crazy crazy fast, even though he is on the wrong side of 30 he is very serviceable and is an amazing fielder and is a patient hitter but doesn't hit good enough to be a everyday player.

Rowand is a lost cause and has grown to be a cry baby who the team doesn't want anymore. He is likely to be traded away and one of the possibilities is a straight up trade (we will have to eat 3 years of his salary) between us and the Cubs for Milton Bradly.

Randy Winn will not be returning next year being a free agent and the Giants moving on to bigger better things. He stunk up this year and we didn't trade him away while he was good.

The last player is John Bowker who has servicable defense with average speed. Needs to learn how to connect the bat and ball more often but he has great power and if he can learn to connect more he is defiantly capable of 20-25 home runs. He hit .342 21 HRs 83 RBI's in 366 AB's in AAA.

Us resigning Freddy Sanchez is very likely but hopefully his off season recovery from surgery is successful and can come back and do his thing if and when he returns next year. And hopefully we will resign Uribe because he was one of the best hitters in all of baseball in September... He absolutely killed the ball and really showed off how much power he has. He will likely return and be our utility guy who will play 3B, SS and 2B. 3-450 AB's likely and if he does anything like he did this year he will hit close to 20 HR's. I may be over evaluating it though which is likely but I have learned to love the guy.

Sandoval, there is nothing I can say about him. He hit .330 with 25 HR's and 90 RBI's in his first full season with a bad hamstring most of it. Where looking at 35+ HR's 100+ RBI's next season being healthy. The kid was completely jiffed out of a All-Star spot this season being the best overall 3B in the first half. And even after that, he didn't strike out so much *cough* Reynolds *cough* and was able to have the 2nd best AVG in the NL. Having no protection in the lineup, that's seriously impressive. He is our teams only seriously dangerous hitter.

The only other guy I want to talk about is Penny. I want him to return, he was able to show off that he is still a good pitcher when healthy and if he comes back and does anything close to what he did here then having our starting 5 looking like this...

Lincecum, Zito, Cain, Sanchez, Penny (or Bumgarner) will only further proof that we can win a 5 or 7 game series. :)

I'll talk trades after its all done.. I need to stop thinking now so I will be able to sleep.

EDIT: HOLYWALLOFTEXT

Sorry, I completely lost track in the middle of my baseball rant that I was floating around my head for about a month. I did it all off the top of my head other then looking up Bowkers stats.. And yes I had Sandovals stats memorized. XD

It's Yankees vs. Phillies for the World Series. The MLB champs will be from the New England area. Not the American Southeast, not the Midwest, not the west coast... New England between these two teams.

Outside of the World Series, Brad Mills is the new manager of the Astros. Good luck to him for turning around a mediocre (not terrible) team.

Yankees just got rocked! by Mr. Lee.
I predicted that the Phillies were going to take this in 5 with Howard being the MVP but seeing today Lee and Utley are making strong cases!!

While the Yankees have been quiet..

This series will be decided on the bullpen, something which is very weak for both teams..

Other news Buster Posey won the 09' Spink Award for being the best Minor League player.. Wooooooot!!! I really can't wait to see him and Sandoval hit next to each other in the lineup.. He is getting the same hype that Will Clark got.. So that is good news!!! What I find really astonishing about him is that he throws out 46% of base stealers.. And above average is 30%...

This really makes the loss of our future 1b. slugger that much worse as we could of had a very dangerous 3-4-5 hitters... :( At least we still got Neal and Crawford.

I've had a little change of heart. I usually only care for major title games when my favorite team is involved (except the Super Bowl because... duh! It's the Super Bowl). I'm going to start watching this Yankees/Phillies series. Congrats to the "Fighting Phils."

Congrats to the Yankees for winning a championship, and they only had to spend $208,097,414 to get it.

My god do both the Phillies and Yankees pitching staff suck.. I'm sorry but I have more faith in my #5 this year then they had in their #2.. And I'm not even going to go on about their bullpen which is complete garbage for both sides... Oh well, guess that's what happens when your used to the Giants pitching staff.

Oh well congrats, and thank god A-Rod didn't get MVP or I might have lost my mind.

We signed Thome, not sure where exactly he fits in but anytime we can steal a WhiteSox player(Yes, I know he was traded last year) it's always a good thing.

Latest Posts

Back