Major League Baseball: 2009 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 625 comments
The Twins are doing there normal destroy a team one day, get destroyed by them the next. I really don't know how we are only 5 games down.

Wahoo

D-Backs beat Dodgers last night 4-1

Dodgers have been struggling, they've lost 13 of their last 24 games. While the snakes have been one of the hotter teams, they're 21-14 since the all star break IIRC.

Ouch!!! David Wright got CLOCKED by a country hard fastball delivered by Matt Cain. Mets fan seem to think it was intentional, but Cain was on his knees showing much concern. Johan Santana delivered a pitch that landed behind Sandoval a few innings later but 2 pitches later Sandoval takes him 450 feet upper deck!!! Next batter is Molina who gets hit by pitched after the ump gave out warnings to both teams... Oddly Santana didn't get ejected, weird eh? Well that don't matter, 10th inning Molina takes Krod deep!!!! Giants win 5-4.

5.5 games out behind struggling Dodgers... Come on Giants!! WE CAN DO IT!!

Meanwhile, my Astros are sliding. Maybe the fact that people are watching Texans preseason football is leading the Astros to feeling like their fans are watching the Texans rather than the Astros. Last thing they can hope for is to get swept by the supposedly "struggling" Brewers.

The Astros won today 8-5 in Milwaukee. Jeff Fulchino got the win. No action for us Monday. But for our next series, we hope to make sushi out of the Florida Marlins here at home starting Tuesday.

D-backs lost to the Dodgers 9-3

It was a good series though, we won 2 of 3. The Snakes have become a different team that makes better use of outs and they're manufacturing runs now instead of waiting for Mark Reynolds or Justin Upton to hit a home run.

This week, they're gonna make a quick East Coast swing, starting tomorrow with a makeup game in Atlanta, 3 in Philly and then 3 in Houston against John's Astros.

Later tonight, we try to get revenge on the Marlins as they play at Minute Maid Park against my Astros. As for the Diamondbacks, I hope they play well enough in both Atlanta and (especially) Philadelphia.

I'll be wishing your favorite teams well. Hope your favorite team wins and least favorite team loses (as long as it's not my Astros).

D-Backs struggled yesterday in the ATL, lost 9-4

Tonight they're in Philly, leading 1-0, but the game's rain delayed in the 3rd

The Astros forgot how to win games all of a sudden. A 6-2 loss is what we've had to accept. The Astros have two more opportunities to try to fry the fish as best as they can. Whether best means failing like it's second nature, or actually winning a game like you're trying to win the NL Central. Astros got to get their heads right before they miss the postseason for the fourth straight season.

The Diamondbacks didn't have enough venom to subdue the Phillies tonight, losing 8-1. A much happier story in Houston as my Astros won 6-3 over the Marlins to force a Rubber Game for tomorrow night. José Valverde needs to get his head in the game and try to close games better rather than allowing players to take base and blow a winning opportunity. Sometimes, I almost wish Brad Lidge were still wearing Astros colors.

Good News, Everyone! My friend's cousin got his first win as a starting pitcher. He's Cesar Carrillo, the SP for the San Diego Padres. He was seating over him because Cesar's first game against the Brewers was a disaster. But it looks like he did better this time around. The only thing that sucks is he beat the Cubs which is my friend's favorite team. Oh well. :lol:

Good News, Everyone! My friend's cousin got his first win as a starting pitcher. He's Cesar Carrillo, the SP for the San Diego Padres. He was seating over him because Cesar's first game against the Brewers was a disaster. But it looks like he did better this time around. The only thing that sucks is he beat the Cubs which is my friend's favorite team. Oh well. :lol:

Awesome!

What wasn't awesome was what the D-Backs did last night, what was thought to be a great pitching duel between Cliff Lee and Dan Haren turned into a slug fest in the 5th inning, Snakes lost 8-1. Phils are going for the sweep today.

Wandy Rodriguez goes tonight for the 58-62 (32 wins away from Cecil Cooper's 90-win prediction) Astros against Josh Johnson for Florida. This is a battle between two double-digit winning pitchers. Wandy has 11 while Josh has 12.

Astros need to win and keep winning to stand any chance in the NL Wild Card battle. We're fourth and have to keep playing like we don't want an early vacation.

This just in...

...the San Francisco Giants lost 2-1 in Cincinnati in ten innings. One Red was the hero by knocking down that home run to send the Giants packing.

I am assuming the Astros got themselves a 4-1 victory with Wandy getting the win. Up next, three games with TS's favorite reptiles- the Diamondbacks.

This just in...

...the Astros beat the Diamondbacks in a 1-0 shutout. I briefly heard this on the radio, saw the ESPNEWS scoreboard, and saw the Astros put away the D-Backs. They're not done yet... two more matches for the weekend. Plus, the Astros will have to play in Phoenix against the D-Backs later this season (twice, in fact). Good job by the Astros.

Lots of action tonight including some big series like Cubs at Dodgers and Marlins at Braves. Later today on FOX:

* New York Yankees (who won 20-11 last night against BOS) at Boston Red Sox
* Chicago Cubs at L.A. Dodgers

And Sunday night, it's the Yankees at the Red Sox on ESPN. Enjoy this weekend, baseball fans!

Hey! That's awesome news! I love seeing rookies do good in the major leagues.. All the best of luck to him, as long as it isn't against the Giants!

Anyways.. the Giants are putting there self back in the race in the NL West along with the Rockies... Time to show the Dodgers who daddy is!!!

Last night Johnathan Sanchez was sitting down the Rocks one by one... His slider was looking really sharp.

I'll be updating this post with Astros results. But for now, here are a few scores so far...

(as of 5:37 PM CDT)
* Dodgers beat the Cubs 2-0 in the Bot. of the 8th. One out.
* Boston is ahead 12-0 over the New York Yankees in the Top of the 7th. The Red Sox must have been pissed the hell off at their rivals.

Hope your favorite teams win! My Astros won again, 4-2 over the Arizona Diamondbacks. We need every win we can get to keep pace in the NL Central and NL Wild Card.

Last edited:
Twins are DESTROYING the Royals in the 7th with 8 runs in the inning. Cuddyer hit 2 HR's in that inning as well.

The Diamondbacks left Houston with a consolation prize- a 7-5 win against my Astros. So we're now 61-63. Whether or not we even make it even to or past .500 depends on how we do in St. Louis for three games followed by a three-game series in Phoenix at TS's Diamondbacks. Time to see how the Astros will wrap up August...

Yankees at Red Sox later tonight on ESPN!

Much needed win for the D-Backs on a pretty disappointing road trip after having a good home stand and an earlier roady.

Snakes get a much needed day off tomorrow before heading to San Fran to face the Giants who are trying to stay with the Rockies in the wild card before heading back to Phoenix for a weekend set against the Astros before going on another road trip going to LA to face the Dodgers and Denver to play the Rockies.

REDS WIN!!! REDS WIN!!! REDS WIN!!! REDS WIN!!! REDS WIN!!! REDS WIN!!! REDS WIN!!!

Sorry, I only get to say it about once every two weeks. We are apparently in a heated battle for last place with the Pirates.

I attended the Saturday night Rockies vs. Giants game. The 14-11 barn burner! I would have posted some pics if I could have remembered to bring my camera to work with me. Rocks are up 2-1 on the giants this series with the final game tonight. We also lead the wild card standings by 3 games.

My Astros want what you've got right now- the NL Wild Card lead. There's only two ways we can make the playoffs- win the NL Wild Card or win the NL Central. I think we have a better chance of the NL Wild Card than the NL Central. There's still one more month of regular season baseball left, so anything can (and will) happen.

Astros lost 1-0 in St. Louis. Yay, another loss for my Astros. The biggest fail of last night was when the Cubs gloriously failed hosting the Washington Nationals, losing 15-6.

Back