Major League Baseball: 2009 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 625 comments
My Twins have won 5 straight.

Also, Johan Santana is out glad we got rid of him before he started having issues.

Molina, Sandoval and Sanchez injured and hurt... This sucks... But Bengie did come in last night with 2 outs and runners on 1st and second with a strained quad, on a night where the air was apparently completely dead making homeruns hard to come by off a pitcher that hardly gives up any... It just all seems scripted and Bengie came through... I'm still pissed for our relief pitching to randomly go from best in league to freaking terrible, in the matter of a week.

Astros lost 3-2 last night, and it's only a matter of time before we're officially eliminated from playoff contention... unless things turn around in a hurry.

Astros get some semblance of revenge as they won 4-3. I think it was Jeff Keppinger who nailed the homer that would win us the game. Up next, Astros roll into TS country for a three-game weekend set. It's sink or swim the rest of the way for my Astros. And right now, they are more like trying to swim despite the fact there's a big hole at the bottom of the ship.

D-Backs will be glad to be home this weekend after a rough, rough road trip

Things are looking up for the snakes as Mark Reynolds and Justin Upton are back together in the lineup again.

A series sweep in Phoenix would put the Astros at 65-65. The Astros are at 62 wins and having some real chemistry problems. Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman had a players-only meeting last night. Some say that the Astros' woes are centered around Astros management. All I know is that if the Astros want to return to making the playoffs and making it to the World Series again, SOMETHING needs to be done. Have to wonder how the offseason plays out.

For now, the Astros have a 62-65 record. We're surprisingly 3rd in the NL Central, 11 games behind the leading St. Louis Cardinals. We're 2 behind the Chicago Cubs at 9 games back. In the NL Wild Card, the Astros are in 6th place and 9.5 games behind the leading Colorado Rockies. In fact, here's the NL Wild Card race as of the date of this post:

LEGEND: Team - Wins - Losses - Games Back - Games Left
Colorado Rockies 72 56 -- 34
San Francisco Giants 69 59 3.0 34
Florida Marlins 67 60 4.5 35
Atlanta Braves 67 60 4.5 35
Chicago Cubs 63 62 7.5 37
Houston Astros 62 65 9.5 35
Milwaukee Brewers 61 66 10.5 35
New York Mets 58 70 14.0 34
Arizona Diamondbacks 56 72 16.0 34
Cincinnati Reds 55 71 16.0 36
Pittsburgh Pirates 53 72 17.5 37
San Diego Padres 54 75 18.5 33
Washington Nationals 46 82 26.0 34

And remember when I've followed the "90-win prediction?" Basically, the Astros would have to win all 35 remaining games to make it to 90, meaning they finish 90-65! It means they would win the NL Central in convincing fashion. God forbid, I love my Astros, but that's impossible here. So I'll stop following that.

Any teams under .500 come September 1st are more than likely done in the wild card

Not that it would make a difference, it's probably gonna be a 2 to 3 team race between the Rockies, Giants and Dodgers, depending on what happens in the NL West.

The Astros lost by a football score on Friday, 14-7. Tonight, they lost by another football score- 9-0. So we're now 62-67, and the D-Backs may damn well sweep us, only making the trip to Chicago Cubs even more depressing. Yay us...

HOLY CRAP!!! Edgar RENTERIA!!!! BOOOM!!! Giants down by 3 when Edgar effing Renteria hit a grand slam over the left field wall to make it 6-5... That would be his 2nd Slam of the season, making half of his home runs grand slams! Giants weren't finished!! They came back for more runs in the 8th!!! Eventually winning 9-5 sweeping the Rockies, also tying up the Wild Card! My god this season is getting exciting. News is Randy Johnson should be back soon too!! He will be doing some relief work, (for the first time this season.) Which is fine by him as he said that all he wants to do is help the team. So this is good news for us... That and Molina and F. Sanchez will be back soon hopefully... We still need to get a solid #5 to boost our 1-4 starters. (Zito and Sanchez have been un-hittable this second half!!!)

Go Giants!!!

Astros are basically done and playing for whatever they can salvage. They lost 2-0 today after winning two games in the first two games of this series in Chicago against the Cubs.

To all other teams still with a chance, go play for all the marbles! October awaits baseball's eight best (or luckiest) teams.

D-backs are playing spoiler, they've won 2 of 3 so far against the Dodgers and they're looking to win the series tonight.

Though seemingly all for a lost cause, the Astros have won against the Phillies the past two nights. A 5-4 victory was how the Saturday night match ended even with college football coming in full swing.

I just read that the Pirates locked in their 17th straight losing season. I'm guessing people in Pittsburgh are glad football's back. It is also sad considering it looked like they were finally turning things around at the end of last year.

I just read that the Pirates locked in their 17th straight losing season. I'm guessing people in Pittsburgh are glad football's back. It is also sad considering it looked like they were finally turning things around at the end of last year.

Yep.

Then they started trading everybody.

Astros swept the Pirates in this four game series, but who the hell cares since the Astros aren't going to anybody's playoffs? Maybe if Major League Baseball had something similar to an NIT tournament, we might qualify for that. But... another sad season for the Astros. So much for the 90-win deal like we were going to return to our 2005 glory.

Standings update on the best race in baseball.

Los Angeles.......82-57
Colorado...........78-60
San Francisco....76-62
Arizona.............61-78
San Diego.........61-78

Rockies just beat the Reds 5-1
I hope that's not bragging.

In minor's news. The Louisville Bats are a favorite in the playoffs! How they maintained their talent when The Reds have called up all their players I will never know.

No different than if I said I beat up a guy I found passed out.

If that guy is Chuck Norris, its worth bragging about IMO 👍

Lincecum strutting his Cy Young candidate around by beating up on a team that his hot...

I wonder why the Rockies intentionally walked Molina to get to Uribe (Who has just murdered the ball lately) and has hit I think 5 or 6 home runs in the last week and a half. Sure enough he got an RBI single...

Giants won at a score of 9 to 1!

Zito Vs. Jimenez tonight... You can place your best on a low scoring game as Zito has one of the best ERA's in the ENTIRE league since the All-Star break being under 3.00 and allowing more then 3 runs in a game twice.

Well our chances of a comeback basically disappeared as Morneau's out for the rest of the season.

Edit: We start a crucial series tonight against Detroit, basically we have to sweep them or we are done.

Well we won the first two, now we are only 2 back. Hopefully we can complete the sweep tonight.

Last edited:
Yankees magic number down to 3. 👍 Take these next two from the Sox, and we can celebrate in their faces. :3c

The Indians just fired their coach. Any MLB coach want to coach the Tribe up in northeastern Ohio? And, my beloved Astros will end their fail-tastic season tonight in Philly.

Well, baring a miracle our season is done. Hopefully we can at least give the crapperdome a good farewell.

Back