Major League Baseball: 2012 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,618 comments
San Francisco won 2-0 at Detroit for Game 3 of the World Series. Does Detroit have an epic comeback in them? They'll need to win four in a row to be the 2012 World Series champions. Game 4 is tomorrow.

I have no idea what in the world is going on with the Tigers, I am simply amazed how they've fallen completely apart. When you have two of the biggest hitters in the league and one of the best rosters of starting pitchers you should play that poorly. And really it isn't so much the pitching staff's fault as it is the offenses. I'll be really surprised if they win tomorrow.

This isn't to say the Giants are only doing well because the Tigers suck either, they are a good team.

No team has ever come from 3-0 to win the World Series (including my 2005 Houston Astros among others). Detroit will try their luck to win four in a row to take the World Series crown. Game 4 will see the pitching duel of [Mr. Perfecto] Matt Cain (SF) vs. Scherzer (DET). If Detroit doesn't want to see San Francisco win the title, Detroit will need to start winning games.

Best wishes and good luck to both SF and DET.

What a truly horrible rendition of the US national anthem.

One of my pet peeves is people who 'individualise' anthems (all nations, not just USA). How are the crowd meant to sing along to that?

I missed this one, but I pretty much hate them all. I used to go to a lot of NBA games, and even when the anthem is done right, crowd will whoop, or start roaring before the song ends. It's something I hate with passion, but I seemed to be alone in that. :dunce:

P.S. Go Tigers!(language warning)

Edit: Detroit is leading in a game? Must be joking!?[/sarcasm]

Last edited:
Ballgame over. San Francisco outscores Detroit 16-6. San Francisco wins game 4, 4-3 in 10 innings.

Congrats to the Giants! Both teams deserved it based on their seasons but Detroit never showed up to this series, didn't stand a chance after game 3, maybe even earlier than that.

The Cowboys wish they had that Romo. That guy threw hot fire. It was like playstation.

And that's a wrap for Detroit, we played a great season and still took home the AL crown plus embarrassed the Yankee's. There's always next year and we know what need to work on in the off season. One thing about Detroit is we don't give up on our sports teams, I mean the Lions sell out pretty frequently and they suck.

The Giants did play some pretty good ball though and a big congrats for winning. I have no hard feelings towards them or their fans.

I'm just sad I have 5-6 months to watch baseball again.

I'm just sad I have 5-6 months to watch baseball again.

Amen.

Hard luck anyway Joey, must be pretty gutting getting swept so easily after completely annihilating the Yankees in the ALCS.

Tom.
Amen.

Hard luck anyway Joey, must be pretty gutting getting swept so easily after completely annihilating the Yankees in the ALCS.

I'm not that gutted, I'm from Detroit, our city is built on disappointment :lol:. But winning the ALCS is still something we can be proud of.

Well... it's bragging time for Prosthetic. His boys won it all. As if I didn't have to hear all about Matt Cain's perfect game on my Astros from the "Always Hate Houston" ESPN bunch. All congratulations to the San Francisco Giants on a job well done. And really, congratulations also to Detroit for their great season.

Now that the season's over, I figured I'd open the floor to basically let you all share your thoughts on this season, your team(s)' 2012 performance, looking ahead to the 2013 season, and things like that. Anyone care to start, if anyone is willing to do so?

I'm from Detroit, our city is built on disappointment :lol:.

Replace "Detroit" with "Cincinnati" and it's the same for us. (Ok, technically I'm from Indiana, but Cincy is very close :sly:)

Congrats to the Giants for winning it all. Very impressive to win 6 straight elimination games, then come in and dominate the Tigers. I'm even less mad about them knocking the Reds out now.:lol:

The Reds' season was excellent. Though it had a disappointing ending, they exceeded my and many other's expectations by a mile. Pitching was key to the year, so it hurt when Cueto went down in the playoffs. And their defense continues to be amazing. If they can get some pop back into their bats (and Votto gets his power back; he hit well after coming back, but never hit one out of the ballpark), they will very strong for years to come.

The Cardinals exceeded my expectations wildly. No Carpenter for 150 games, new rookie manager, and injuries early to John Jay and David Freese had me worried. Berkman started showing his age and missed significant time. The Reds were excellent all year... It was clear the division crown was beyond us by summer. Craig missed significant time and Furcal was out for the season as the stretch drive began.

Molina was banged up, but had an immense year. Close to .320 with a career high in HR's, RBI and a surprising 12 stolen bases for a guy who sometimes looks like he runs with his gear on. Add in some of the best defensive work of all time by a catcher (he might win the Rawlings Platinum Glove again - with the Gold One a certainly) and his is quite a player. Now in his prime, and locked up for 4 or 5 more years I think. Hell of a year - the FIRST after the contract was signed too.

The playoffs were both fun and maddening. Hanging 4 on the Nationals in the 9th to come from behind was amazing, and Reaching game 7 of the NLCS was quite an accomplishment. Blowing a 3-1 lead in that series was poor, especially the way it took place. Defense fell apart, gifting the Giants games. Bats went ice cold, etc

Another worry is Wainright's fastball velocity was down about 4 or 5 mph from his pre-Tommy John surgery velocity. Carpenter is not getting any younger, Lohse was 16-3 but will probably leave as a free agent. Garcia is he only lefty and is so-so.

For 2013...

The offense will be excellent again next year, probably better than 2012 #1 run differential performance of they stay healthy.

Something in the neighborhood of 19 of the 25 men on the postseason roster were drafted by the Cards - homegrown players. They get it right draft after draft and the minor league staff is outstanding. Another positive.

The arms in the bullpen are absolutely ridiculous. Several 98+ mph guys and two 100 mph flamethrowers, nearly all of them very very young. Kelly, Rosenthal, etc. they throw harder than Motte.

Worries for 2013 - Starting Rotation, but I'm looking forward to it!

I think I got the closest prediction at SF winning in 5 games. :sly:

That was ridiculous. What gets me is the quiet way the Giants went about totally destroying the Cardinals since Game 5, then the Detroit. Their pitching looked pretty good, defense was good, and they hit alright, but it seemed, at least to me, the other teams just fell apart.

They must have done something right. Congratulations to the Giants. 👍

I hope all east coast heads are safe after this storm. My buddies dad is still trapped in his attic with 5ft. of water surrounding his house. Scary indeed

Well since baseball is over, who else is looking forward to the WBC in March? (World Baseball Classic for those who don't know). I know I am, I'm trying to watch the Japan Series, unfortunately it comes on at about 2:30 am here in Cali. Which is difficult when you have work and school on all the days of the games, lol. The earliest I'll be able to watch will be Game 6 on Saturday (or Sunday, I'm confused to be honest).

It looks like Leyland will be back to manage the Tiger's for one more year, which I'm OK with, I know he wants to win a World Series with Detroit. Looks like Peralta and Dotel will be back in Detroit as well.

We need to get our bullpen in order during the off-season and ink some deals on some new pitchers. I think Coke will end up becoming our closer and I can see him becoming good with some training. I also know Dombrowski wants to get a deal going to make Verlander a Tiger for life, I'm sure it'll be equated to a truck full of money.

Other then that I think we would be pretty good next season barring no injuries.

Well since baseball is over, who else is looking forward to the WBC in March? (World Baseball Classic for those who don't know).

Wasn't even aware that still existed.:lol:

What network is it on?

Edit: Apparently all the games are on the MLB Network, was hoping at least the finals would be on broadcast TV so I could watch, oh well.

Well since baseball is over, who else is looking forward to the WBC in March? (World Baseball Classic for those who don't know). I know I am, I'm trying to watch the Japan Series, unfortunately it comes on at about 2:30 am here in Cali. Which is difficult when you have work and school on all the days of the games, lol. The earliest I'll be able to watch will be Game 6 on Saturday (or Sunday, I'm confused to be honest).

I like watching the Little League World Series myself. :P

...and Aaron Hill gets the shaft again. Guy had a hell of a season and nobody outside Arizona cares. :rolleyes:

Barney is probably the best defensive second basemen in the game.

Trout not getting it is pretty lame...
Brandon Ryan not getting is lame... again. The dude is by far the best defensive infielder in the game... And it isn't even remotely close. Rollins also has no business, a lot of people saying Crawford should of gotten it.. Maybe next year (along with Belt at first).

Also Cargo was terrible defensively this year so I have no clue why he won.

People win just on reputation alone... Jeter has a billion of them even when he was a below average. Same with Hunter, and Ichiro and many others.

Justin
Wasn't even aware that still existed.:lol:

What network is it on?

Edit: Apparently all the games are on the MLB Network, was hoping at least the finals would be on broadcast TV so I could watch, oh well.

Carribean league WS is usually on MLBnetwork,sometime in the winter

Back