Major League Baseball: 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnBM01, Feb 4, 2012.

1. tfed

tfed

Throw any stats out the window pretaining to hitting when it comes down to a 7 game series. Pitching (bullpen) rules all when your in these series. Especially in what im assuming will be a chilly detroit. Power arms and manufacturing runs is what counts. Bias flair ha,you just threw an SF Castro district bias flair party
    Does anyone else hate sabermetrics?

2. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

If you don't base thought on numbers then what do you do it on? Random guess? The only other way is the eye test, which I added to stats to back up my claim. Its a 100% fact that the Giants hitter don't strikeout often and they put the ball in play. That's problem for a team with a terrible defense. Bullpen is a massive advantage for the Giants, its not even close. The Tigers bullpen has struggled and our bullpen has been lights out. SF is always chilly so that's not going to be any issues.

Uhh.. You don't have to have power arms, you just need good pitchers and the Giants have 5 guys with the potential to shut out any team as do the Tigers. Zito owned a much better hitting Cardinal team in a hitters park, I don't see how pitching at home against a team that won 88 games is any different. The Giants have won Zitos last 13 starts. They also, for whatever reason score a lot of runs for Zito all season long which has helped. Zitos struggles have all been confidence related, if he has the confidence to throw strikes we will win.

What the hell is a castro district bias flair? That was really pathetic.

The only people who don't like saber metrics are ESPN sheep, and what a shocker your a NY fan.

3. tfed

tfed

It was a joke bro. The other stuff eh whatevs nothing new ESPN can go to hell as far as im concered. Stats i take to heart. K's/9,WHIP,OBP and SLG. Geez taking a swipe at the yanks figured you would be happy that SF is in the series. Good luck tonight. And get over yourself just trying to open some dialogue that has NOTHING to do with the yanks.
    If SF wins the series remember to thank the Mets.(that is kind of a joke)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

Yeah the joke isn't funny and its all you hear from other sports fans. Its old and bad taste.

Glad to see you like a lot of the same stats that I do... I like to add OPS+, K/BB, BAA, IP, WAR, UZR and a few others. Things like UZR and most other defensive metrics can only be used in 3-4 year intervals.

5. tfed

tfed

The most annoying crap i hear is. For example: "hunter pence is 2-30 off verlander" yeah but he could go 4 for 5 with a homer to win the game. Majority of baseball stats are overrated. Dont get me started on ERA

6. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

The 2012 World Series begins tonight in San Francisco! It's Verlander (DET) vs. Zito (SF) on the mound for Game 1.

Once again- good luck to both teams.

7. Patrick

Patrick Premium

I still cant believe Scutaro swung and missed TWICE during the NLCS. Just crazy.

8. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

During the last couple months he only swung and missed something like 16 times. He just doesn't miss the ball.

9. BJBEOSmitty

BJBEOSmitty

Barry Bonds to throw out the first pitch... Lance Armstrong will catch. Watch the Giants fans go berserk while the rest of the baseball world either

A Laughs
    B Vomits
    C Both

D Other - Feels bad for the cheering Giants fans - its not entirely their fault they act that way.

10. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

Wasn't sure if that was supposed to be funny... But in any case, you have Mark McGuire as your hitting coach... Nuff sed.

11. BJBEOSmitty

BJBEOSmitty

If Cards fans blindly cheered for the guy, you'd have something. They don't, many are appalled he is on the staff, myself included. At least he had the sense to dissapear from the game for a while and admit wrongdoing. Barry gives the baseball world the metaphorical finger at every opportunity. It's sad... both of them.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  12. BJBEOSmitty

BJBEOSmitty

Agreed.

[​IMG]

13. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

SF strikes first.

14. Patrick

Patrick Premium

You were saying?

15. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

WTF Tigers. :lol:

16. BobK

BobK Premium

Wow. The Panda Show.

For the life of me I can't figure out what that word is supposed to be. Can somebody help out here?

17. Blitz24

Blitz24 Premium

Think he meant metaphorical. Not sure though but that's the only word that really makes sense in context.

18. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Heard "Kung Fu Panda" put some moves on Detroit with three jacks as SF won 8-3. He joined some elite company as being one of several players to hit three home runs in a World Series game. My congratulations go out to Pablo Sandoval on a job well done.

Game 2 of the World Series is tonight in San Francisco. For the pitching duel, it's Fister for Detroit and Bumgarner for San Francisco.

19. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Even though I'm cheering for the Tigers, I have to admit that was pretty amazing with the 3 homers last night from Sandoval.

Watching these games I'm still wondering why in the hell do the pitcher bat in the National League? I find it to be a rather silly concept, you're basically asking your pitcher to use more of his strength to bat instead of saving it for pitching. It's also a huge disadvantage for an AL team playing in a NL park too, it's almost a guaranteed out when they bat. Watching Verlander last night and Fister tonight really shows how bad they are at the plate.

Don't get me wrong though, having the pitcher bat was the least of the Tiger's worries last night.

20. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Pitchers are almost guaranteed outs anywhere. Very few pitchers can hit. Most of the time they get lucky.

21. BJBEOSmitty

BJBEOSmitty

Yes. Thkan Yuo. Efking autocorrtect

22. Patrick

Patrick Premium

Giants win. [​IMG]

23. BJBEOSmitty

BJBEOSmitty

Pitchers batting is not about offense. It is about...

All 9 players playing both offense and defense. It forces NL managers to handle the pitching changes far, far more strategically in a single week than a month worth of strategy in games where the DH is featured. Maybe more. In the NL you can't just go get your pitcher whenever you want. Deeper benches with pinch hitters, timing, various types of relievers etc. are more important than in the AL

One season the Blue Jays won the World Series, their manager Cito Gaston did not make a single substitution decision in any game until June. Changed his pitchers whenever he wanted, never pinch hit or chose a defensive replacement. Not until JUNE. Simply write up your lineup card and not change it at all at any point during any game.

That's not managing.

24. Barra333

Barra333 Premium

OK then Smitty, you can choose any of the 15 AL teams next season to manage. If this managing thing is so easy, you should walk away with at least the AL title.

25. BJBEOSmitty

BJBEOSmitty

Take Giant Leaps much? :)

26. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

It was 2-0 last night as the Giants defended home turf yet again. Sadly, 2-0 is also the lead SF has on DET. The series shifts to the Midwest as the Giants will get a little Midwestern hospitality in MoTown for Game 3 on Saturday. Detroit doesn't want to be in a 3-0 hole and have to somehow win four in a row to win the World Series. But... it is not looking good for the Tigers.

[UPDATE] The probable pitching matchup for Game 3 is Vogelsong (SF) vs. Sanchez (DET).

27. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Later today is Game 3 of the 2012 World Series. Today/Tonight, it's Vogelsong going for San Francisco and Sanchez for Detroit. Either San Francisco goes up 3-0... or Detroit will try to make it a series with a 2-1 record. If Detroit does want to win the World Series, they'll have to win it in San Francisco. That's especially if the series reaches Game 6.

Good luck, San Francisco and Detroit. Play hard today and tomorrow.

28. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

I'm going to miss most of tonight's game... Dang. Sacrifices... Sacrifices...

29. Blitz24

Blitz24 Premium

Detroit has completely forgotten how to hit the ball, scoring only in 2 of the 27 innings played. 3 runs total scored, all in game 1. The Tigers could become the 2nd team this century to be swept in the World Series (they were also the first team as well).

San Francisco 2 - Detroit 0 in Game 3.

30. a6m5

a6m5 Premium

It's like NL Championship Deja-vu.

I hate this cold offense stuff. Lost $14 in the pool so far. :(