Major League Baseball: 2012 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,618 comments
Throw any stats out the window pretaining to hitting when it comes down to a 7 game series. Pitching (bullpen) rules all when your in these series. Especially in what im assuming will be a chilly detroit. Power arms and manufacturing runs is what counts. Bias flair ha,you just threw an SF Castro district bias flair party
Does anyone else hate sabermetrics?

Throw any stats out the window pretaining to hitting when it comes down to a 7 game series. Pitching (bullpen) rules all when your in these series. Especially in what im assuming will be a chilly detroit. Power arms and manufacturing runs is what counts. Bias flair ha,you just threw an SF Castro district bias flair party
Does anyone else hate sabermetrics?

If you don't base thought on numbers then what do you do it on? Random guess? The only other way is the eye test, which I added to stats to back up my claim. Its a 100% fact that the Giants hitter don't strikeout often and they put the ball in play. That's problem for a team with a terrible defense. Bullpen is a massive advantage for the Giants, its not even close. The Tigers bullpen has struggled and our bullpen has been lights out. SF is always chilly so that's not going to be any issues.

Uhh.. You don't have to have power arms, you just need good pitchers and the Giants have 5 guys with the potential to shut out any team as do the Tigers. Zito owned a much better hitting Cardinal team in a hitters park, I don't see how pitching at home against a team that won 88 games is any different. The Giants have won Zitos last 13 starts. They also, for whatever reason score a lot of runs for Zito all season long which has helped. Zitos struggles have all been confidence related, if he has the confidence to throw strikes we will win.

What the hell is a castro district bias flair? That was really pathetic.

The only people who don't like saber metrics are ESPN sheep, and what a shocker your a NY fan.

Prosthetic
What the hell is a castro district bias flair? That was really pathetic.

The only people who don't like saber metrics are ESPN sheep, and what a shocker your a NY fan.
It was a joke bro. The other stuff eh whatevs nothing new ESPN can go to hell as far as im concered. Stats i take to heart. K's/9,WHIP,OBP and SLG. Geez taking a swipe at the yanks figured you would be happy that SF is in the series. Good luck tonight. And get over yourself just trying to open some dialogue that has NOTHING to do with the yanks.
If SF wins the series remember to thank the Mets.(that is kind of a joke)

Last edited:
It was a joke bro. The other stuff eh whatevs nothing new ESPN can go to hell as far as im concered. Stats i take to heart. K's/9,WHIP,OBP and SLG. Geez taking a swipe at the yanks figured you would be happy that SF is in the series. Good luck tonight. And get over yourself just trying to open some dialogue that has NOTHING to do with the yanks.
If SF wins the series remember to thank the Mets.(that is kind of a joke)

Yeah the joke isn't funny and its all you hear from other sports fans. Its old and bad taste.

Glad to see you like a lot of the same stats that I do... I like to add OPS+, K/BB, BAA, IP, WAR, UZR and a few others. Things like UZR and most other defensive metrics can only be used in 3-4 year intervals.

Prosthetic
Yeah the joke isn't funny and its all you hear from other sports fans. Its old and bad taste.

Glad to see you like a lot of the same stats that I do... I like to add OPS+, K/BB, BAA, IP, WAR, UZR and a few others. Things like UZR and most other defensive metrics can only be used in 3-4 year intervals.

The most annoying crap i hear is. For example: "hunter pence is 2-30 off verlander" yeah but he could go 4 for 5 with a homer to win the game. Majority of baseball stats are overrated. Dont get me started on ERA

The 2012 World Series begins tonight in San Francisco! It's Verlander (DET) vs. Zito (SF) on the mound for Game 1.

Once again- good luck to both teams.

Barry Bonds to throw out the first pitch... Lance Armstrong will catch. Watch the Giants fans go berserk while the rest of the baseball world either

A Laughs
B Vomits
C Both

D Other - Feels bad for the cheering Giants fans - its not entirely their fault they act that way.

Barry Bonds to throw out the first pitch... Lance Arstrong will catch. Watch the Giants fans go berserk while the rest of the baseball world either

A Laughs
B Vomits
C Both

D Other - Feels bad for the cheering Giants fans - its not entirely their fault they act that way.

Wasn't sure if that was supposed to be funny... But in any case, you have Mark McGuire as your hitting coach... Nuff sed.

Wasn't sure if that was supposed to be funny... But in any case, you have Mark McGuire as your hitting coach... Nuff sed.

If Cards fans blindly cheered for the guy, you'd have something. They don't, many are appalled he is on the staff, myself included. At least he had the sense to dissapear from the game for a while and admit wrongdoing. Barry gives the baseball world the metaphorical finger at every opportunity. It's sad... both of them.

Last edited:
Those stirrups are gorgeous. How come more MLB players don't wear them is a mystery to me.

Agreed.

hi-res-hi-res-hi-res-154136552_display_image.jpg

Wow. The Panda Show.

For the life of me I can't figure out what that word is supposed to be. Can somebody help out here?

Think he meant metaphorical. Not sure though but that's the only word that really makes sense in context.

Heard "Kung Fu Panda" put some moves on Detroit with three jacks as SF won 8-3. He joined some elite company as being one of several players to hit three home runs in a World Series game. My congratulations go out to Pablo Sandoval on a job well done.

Game 2 of the World Series is tonight in San Francisco. For the pitching duel, it's Fister for Detroit and Bumgarner for San Francisco.

Even though I'm cheering for the Tigers, I have to admit that was pretty amazing with the 3 homers last night from Sandoval.

Watching these games I'm still wondering why in the hell do the pitcher bat in the National League? I find it to be a rather silly concept, you're basically asking your pitcher to use more of his strength to bat instead of saving it for pitching. It's also a huge disadvantage for an AL team playing in a NL park too, it's almost a guaranteed out when they bat. Watching Verlander last night and Fister tonight really shows how bad they are at the plate.

Don't get me wrong though, having the pitcher bat was the least of the Tiger's worries last night.

Pitchers batting is not about offense. It is about...

All 9 players playing both offense and defense. It forces NL managers to handle the pitching changes far, far more strategically in a single week than a month worth of strategy in games where the DH is featured. Maybe more. In the NL you can't just go get your pitcher whenever you want. Deeper benches with pinch hitters, timing, various types of relievers etc. are more important than in the AL

One season the Blue Jays won the World Series, their manager Cito Gaston did not make a single substitution decision in any game until June. Changed his pitchers whenever he wanted, never pinch hit or chose a defensive replacement. Not until JUNE. Simply write up your lineup card and not change it at all at any point during any game.

That's not managing.

Last edited:
OK then Smitty, you can choose any of the 15 AL teams next season to manage. If this managing thing is so easy, you should walk away with at least the AL title.

It was 2-0 last night as the Giants defended home turf yet again. Sadly, 2-0 is also the lead SF has on DET. The series shifts to the Midwest as the Giants will get a little Midwestern hospitality in MoTown for Game 3 on Saturday. Detroit doesn't want to be in a 3-0 hole and have to somehow win four in a row to win the World Series. But... it is not looking good for the Tigers.

[UPDATE] The probable pitching matchup for Game 3 is Vogelsong (SF) vs. Sanchez (DET).

Last edited:
Later today is Game 3 of the 2012 World Series. Today/Tonight, it's Vogelsong going for San Francisco and Sanchez for Detroit. Either San Francisco goes up 3-0... or Detroit will try to make it a series with a 2-1 record. If Detroit does want to win the World Series, they'll have to win it in San Francisco. That's especially if the series reaches Game 6.

Good luck, San Francisco and Detroit. Play hard today and tomorrow.

Detroit has completely forgotten how to hit the ball, scoring only in 2 of the 27 innings played. 3 runs total scored, all in game 1. The Tigers could become the 2nd team this century to be swept in the World Series (they were also the first team as well).

San Francisco 2 - Detroit 0 in Game 3.

It's like NL Championship Deja-vu.

I hate this cold offense stuff. Lost $14 in the pool so far. :(

Back