Major League Baseball: 2013 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,997 comments
Brilliant fielding by the Cards early in the first game. Yeah, right. However that was a nice catch by Beltran, hope he's okay.
They said it's a rib contusion, and is listed as day to day.

Arroyo has learned to cope with his age. His fastball is in the high 80's on his best days, but he's learned how to pitch around that and is very good at placing his pitches (though he is prone to occasionally missing his spot once and giving up a long ball). Lincecum has a lot of time to still learn. If he does, he would be worth more, obviously, due to his age.

It's hard to predict though. There are some old geezers out there like Arroyo who have learned to adjust to their strengths and/or weaknesses and are just as effective, if not more so, than when they were younger. On the flip side, there are plenty of younger guys who have simply flamed out in their careers because they only knew one way of pitching.

Yeah. Arroyo has seemingly been an "old" pitcher for like 4 years. I don't think he's going to get much worse.

Tonight is Game 2 of the World Series, and it will be Wacha (STL) vs. Lackey (BOS) on the mound. Boston drew first blood after an 8-1 whacking of St. Louis last night. Are we looking at 2-0, Boston; or a series deadlocked at 1 heading into the weekend? Tonight will tell.

Wonder how Wacha will do...really looking forward to this game.

Also, did you guys hear that they accused Lester of using a foreign substance last night?

I did not catch that.

I'm so happy about the two bad throws by Boston in the 7th inning. I am rooting for Uehara right now though. :P

Knotted up at 1. Cards take game 2 by a score of 4-2. It all came apart for Boston in the top of the 7th.

Both games, teams just got sloppy, costing them the game. I hope they get sharper as the series go on. Rosenthal's 99mph pitch to end the game was pretty badass.

With the series tied 1-1, we are assured at least a Game 5. Game 3 of the 2013 World Series is tonight in St. Louis. Your pitching matchup is Peavy (BOS) vs. Kelly (STL).

What a weird end...... I instantly suspected interference when Craig got tripped up, but that was the right call, right?

I could be completely off base, but I think what triggered the call was when the third baseman's legs went up. I know that's when I suspected that Craig was tripped.

It was weird for the baseman to raise his legs in that instance, but he could've been just trying to get his legs out of the way for the runner, too. I'm of the impression that it was one of those calls that relied on the interpretation by the umpire, and regardless of the team you were rooting for, it left a bad taste in one's mouth. That's just me. :crazy:

You can tell Middlebrooks puts his legs down, and immediately back up and intentionally trips Craig.
But Yadi is such a bad base runner :lol:

Interference doesn't have to be intentional to be ruled as interference. Whether he intended to do so or not, it's pretty clear he interfered with Craig. Joyce made the call immediately, and it was the right call.

Personally I thought it would have been funny if Craig returned to the bag instead of trying to go home, and the umpires then awarded him home plate. Which would have been the proper ruling, had it happened.

Regardless of how that controversial call felt, as a former-NBA fan, I found it refreshing. In the NBA, where much of the rules are made to be bent, or broken, they routinely swallow the whistle, because they don't want to "decide the game". I never understood that. By not calling the violation, you just did decide the game. No matter if the call seems dumb, confusing, upsetting, whatever, you should always play by the rule.

Clay Buchholz (BOS) vs. Lance Lynn (STL) tonight on the mound for Game 4 of the 2013 World Series. This game is in St. Louis. STL leads the 2013 World Series 2-1. Will Boston assure a Game 6 with a win, or could STL possibly go up 3-1? Good luck to these two teams tonight.

Game 5 of the 2013 World Series is tonight in St. Louis. We're tied at 2-2 for the 2013 World Series after Boston's 4-2 victory last night. Tonight, the pitching match involves A. Wainwright for STL, and BOS will counter with J. Lester. No matter who wins this game, the series will return to Boston, and we will have a Game 6. The Game 5 loser must win Game 6 for this series to go the seven-game distance.

Good luck to both Boston and St. Louis tonight.

Brilliant, insightful analysis by talented commentator Tim McCarver before tonight's game: The winner tonight will go to Boston with a 3-2 lead in the series.

To which another commentator (not sure who) commented, "No kidding, Tim."

The good news is we only have to put up with McCarver's "commentary" for three more games, max. The bad news is, we have to put up with him for at least two more games.

Since nobody brought it up last night due to site maintenance, that was a great ending last night. Koji has improved his pickoff move ever since he left Texas.

Now, on to tonight...Lester was lights out for the Sox. And so was Uehara again. Also, Papi is 11-15 so far in this World Series...he'll win MVP if the Sox win the series.

Though...this same situation happened two years ago. Cardinals were down 3-2 and down to their last strike....you know the rest. Could the Cards do that again this year? I mean, hey...they bring up the 2011 series at least once every single game...

Paul Goldschmidt and Gerardo Parra both with Gold Glove awards today, amongst others. Both deserving of course.

Can't wait for the game tomorrow.

Well, Adrian Beltre will not have his third straight Gold Glove. Manny Machado beat him out, well deserved if you ask me.

Brandon Phillips got his deserved gold glove this year. Still slightly peeved about Barney stealing it last year...
You are still going on about this? Are you Brandon Phillips because you sound like him? Barney had an historic season last year and a better season defensively than Phillips again this year.

Read: http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/...dnt-flair-enough-so-they-lost-the-gold-glove/

2012 defensive stats:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Boston will see a World Series champion be crowned, but will it be the Boston Strong Boston Red Sox... or can the boys from St. Louis force a Game 7? Game 6 features Wacha dealing for the St. Louis Cardinals vs. Lackey for the Red Sox. Must-win for St. Louis if they want to force a Game 7.

1 of 2 things will happen today-
Wacca will keep Waccaing and win, or...
nerves get the best of him.(doesn't mean loss, but will need to have a major comeback)

You are still going on about this? Are you Brandon Phillips because you sound like him? Barney had an historic season last year and a better season defensively than Phillips again this year.

Read: http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/...dnt-flair-enough-so-they-lost-the-gold-glove/

2012 defensive stats:View attachment 80766
I don't intend to get into an argument again. In my opinion, I still feel like Phillips should get it. Numbers don't show everything. When you watch him, you see the range he has and what he's able to dive and reach for. And while occasionally he will make an error, more often than not, he's making a spectacular play to get an out or simply knock the ball down where any other player would have no chance of touching it.

I'm not taking anything away from Barney. He is damn good at fielding. I will give that to him.

And by the way, I'm most certainly not Brandon Phillips. :lol: While generally I really like the guy, he does do and say some stupid stuff, this year especially.

Back