Major League Baseball: 2013 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,997 comments
Two out of my four teams this year makes the World Series. I'll be rooting for the Cards, but I really like Boston, too. Gah. :crazy:

Boston in 6. It's going to be a good series, just like the ALCS was.

Also, yesterday was the 9th anniversary of this:
100727_schilling_bloody_sock.jpg

Cardinals will win because I don't want them to. Whoever is a big rival to Cincinnati pro sports teams always win these things. The Cardinals a couple of times the past few years, the Ravens earlier this year, the Steelers multiple times, etc....

Jim Leyland has left his position as Tigers manager. According to the Tigers' Twitter he'll be accepting another (undetermined) position with the club.

Jim Leyland has left his position as Tigers manager. According to the Tigers' Twitter he'll be accepting another (undetermined) position with the club.

Some bogus "Special Advisor to the Owner/President" role, I'm sure.

And now for comedy. Giants have re-signed SP Tim Lincecum for 2 years and $35 million...... I don't think I have a good comment for this.

Blitz24
And now for comedy. Giants have re-signed SP Tim Lincecum for 2 years and $35 million...... I don't think I have a good comment for this.

I don't believe you. At all. Where did they get the money?

Lincecum is past his prime as a starter. I think he should just be a reliever who could be used for long relief and the occasional spot start. Just my opinion.

They have the money, they are just clearly using it for the wrong reasons. The length of the deal is fine but 17.5 per for a guy with a 4.76 ERA over the past 2 years IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE?

Here's the 2013 World Series schedule:

Game 1: Oct. 23 in Boston
Game 2: Oct. 24 in Boston
Game 3: Oct. 26 in St. Louis
Game 4: Oct. 27 in St. Louis
Game 5: Oct. 28 in St. Louis!
Game 6: Oct. 30 in Boston!
Game 7: Oct. 31 in Boston!

! = if needed

So now you're set.

The Reds (somewhat expectedly) promoted pitching coach Bryan Price to manager, replacing Dusty. He was one hell of a pitching coach and well liked by the players, as well as probably many fans. Hopefully he can guide the team deeper into the playoffs. Of course, the offense has to come around and produce consistently.

Also, the radio pundits in Cincy feel there is a chance Phillips could be traded, as well as maybe Bailey. I believe Choo is a free agent now too, so we have a gap in center. I'm not so sure the speedy Billy Hamilton is ready to go. As they say, "You can't steal first base." Bronson will be in the last year of his contract next season as well, so I wonder if they will dangle him out there as trade bait to pick up some offensive players. Cingrani did extremely well in his first season while Cueto was busy DL'ing it up this year, so that's one guy we can count on. I think Daniel Corcino is the next one up if more than one pitcher gets traded. I don't know what to think about Phillips. He, in my opinion, is probably the best defensive player in baseball. And he had over 100 RBI's this season. Generally, he's an awesome guy, but he occasionally goes off on rants about random stuff at times too. I don't really want to part ways with him, and I'm not sure who we would end up replacing him with if we did. :indiff:

I guess we'll see how the offseason goes.

2 years is appropriate. 17.5 per year will make signing FA starters a nightmare for the rest of baseball. I wonder what Ubaldo will ask for? :crazy:

Giants have a ton of revenue. Already for 2014, they have the 4th most money committed.

They have the money, they are just clearly using it for the wrong reasons. The length of the deal is fine but 17.5 per for a guy with a 4.76 ERA over the past 2 years IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE?
And in one of the most pitcher-friendly divisions (explains his no-hitter). 2 years isn't the end of the world, despite the AAV.
The Reds (somewhat expectedly) promoted pitching coach Bryan Price to manager, replacing Dusty. He was one hell of a pitching coach and well liked by the players, as well as probably many fans. Hopefully he can guide the team deeper into the playoffs. Of course, the offense has to come around and produce consistently.

Also, the radio pundits in Cincy feel there is a chance Phillips could be traded, as well as maybe Bailey. I believe Choo is a free agent now too, so we have a gap in center. I'm not so sure the speedy Billy Hamilton is ready to go. As they say, "You can't steal first base." Bronson will be in the last year of his contract next season as well, so I wonder if they will dangle him out there as trade bait to pick up some offensive players. Cingrani did extremely well in his first season while Cueto was busy DL'ing it up this year, so that's one guy we can count on. I think Daniel Corcino is the next one up if more than one pitcher gets traded. I don't know what to think about Phillips. He, in my opinion, is probably the best defensive player in baseball. And he had over 100 RBI's this season. Generally, he's an awesome guy, but he occasionally goes off on rants about random stuff at times too. I don't really want to part ways with him, and I'm not sure who we would end up replacing him with if we did. :indiff:

I guess we'll see how the offseason goes.

I think it's a good move.

2 years is appropriate. 17.5 per year will make signing FA starters a nightmare for the rest of baseball. I wonder what Ubaldo will ask for? :crazy:

Giants have a ton of revenue. Already for 2014, they have the 4th most money committed.

And in one of the most pitcher-friendly divisions (explains his no-hitter). 2 years isn't the end of the world, despite the AAV.

I think it's a good move.

I'm looking at the AAV. The years I have no issue with. I guess its a "service to the team" contract value for the AAV.

I'm looking at the AAV. The years I have no issue with. I guess its a "service to the team" contract value for the AAV.

Yeah. Consider these two pitchers:

2012-2013, Player A: 4.76 ERA, 3.9 BB/p, 9.0 K/9, 2.31 K/BB, 72 ERA+, and 1.389 WHIP
2012-2013, Player B: 3.76 ERA, 1.5 BB/9, 5.6 K/9, 3.67 K/BB, 105 ERA+, and 1.181 WHIP

Which one deserves a bigger contract?

Yeah. Consider these two pitchers:

2012-2013, Player A: 4.76 ERA, 3.9 BB/p, 9.0 K/9, 2.31 K/BB, 72 ERA+, and 1.389 WHIP
2012-2013, Player B: 3.76 ERA, 1.5 BB/9, 5.6 K/9, 3.67 K/BB, 105 ERA+, and 1.181 WHIP

Which one deserves a bigger contract?

I believe the 2nd one is Bronson Arroyo. If it is, then I would say Arroyo probably deserves a bigger deal BUT he's also a lot older than Lincecum. (38 vs. 30). Lincecum has youth working for him but he's not worth 17.5 per for the pitcher he is right now.

It's A. Wainwright (STL) vs. J. Lester (BOS) tonight in Game 1 of the 2013 World Series. Good luck to both teams, and may the better team win the title.

I'd just like to mention that this year's World Series is actually a rematch of the first one I ever watched. That WS gave me a lasting attatchment to the Boston Red Sox, even though I have no other affiliation with the Boston area.

My truest affiliation is the Seattle Mariners, since my family is from the Seattle area, but they never win anything, and they certainly ain't here.

Sox already have the bases loaded with 1 out. It was originally runners at the corners with 2 outs, but the 2nd baseman dropped the ball, and it was initially ruled a force.

Farrell came out to argue, and the play was overruled. It was eventually scored a fielders choice E6.

Farrell came out to argue, and the play was overruled. It was eventually scored a fielders choice E6.

And for those not very familiar with the history of baseball... the overturned call NEVER happens. Not that I mind, I'm a Red Sox fan. The ump was looking at the base, not Kosma's glove.

The baseball 'purist' would argue that even though the Ump was wrong, overturning the call was even worse. Shedding the old ways.

I believe the 2nd one is Bronson Arroyo. If it is, then I would say Arroyo probably deserves a bigger deal BUT he's also a lot older than Lincecum. (38 vs. 30). Lincecum has youth working for him but he's not worth 17.5 per for the pitcher he is right now.

Arroyo has learned to cope with his age. His fastball is in the high 80's on his best days, but he's learned how to pitch around that and is very good at placing his pitches (though he is prone to occasionally missing his spot once and giving up a long ball). Lincecum has a lot of time to still learn. If he does, he would be worth more, obviously, due to his age.

It's hard to predict though. There are some old geezers out there like Arroyo who have learned to adjust to their strengths and/or weaknesses and are just as effective, if not more so, than when they were younger. On the flip side, there are plenty of younger guys who have simply flamed out in their careers because they only knew one way of pitching.

Cardinals are playing some SLOPPY defense. Not only the botched throw in the 1st, but Wainwright watched a routine pop drop in front of him, and Pete Kozma just booted a ball. As a result, the Sox have the bases loaded for the second straight inning.

They are looking overwhelmed & overmatched right now. You can't count them out of the series, but it wouldn't be crazy to count them out of the game. I hope they come back.

Replacing Granderson with Choo? If that money could go to Cano and they use it this way they are fools.

Brilliant fielding by the Cards early in the first game.

Yeah, right.

However that was a nice catch by Beltran, hope he's okay.

Back