Major League Baseball: 2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 429 comments
I watched the post game interview with Miggy and he said that the fight with Austin Romine was started because of something Romine said. Cabrera was fine with the plunk attempt because he knew the rules of the game, but he took issue with the way Romine talked to the umpire which lead to the fight. He never did say what Romine said in particular, but he did say that he felt Romine was disrespecting the ump by saying what he was saying.

The Dodgers are probably going to win it all unless the absolutely implode.

I could see Cleveland making it back to the WS too, and like @Silver Arrows I'm not sold on Houston either. They're good but I don't think they have the depth to go all the way.

And? It's likely that the Yankees will get bounced in the ALDS if they get past the wild card game, because there's no good teams that can get past Cleveland or Boston. And I'm not exactly sold on Houston either after their hot start.
The stats disagree, NYY is 2nd in runs scored and 3rd in ERA.

Hurricane Harvey has been horrible. However, one of the best things about sports is that this is a welcome distraction. The Houston Astros continued their season by playing in Anaheim, California, USA. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim stood in our way for a three-game weekend series. This is how things ended up...

GM1 HOU at LAA: 2-1; Houston
GM2 HOU at LAA: 7-6; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
GM3 HOU at LAA: 7-5; Houston

We are now 79-51 on the 2017 season of Major League Baseball. Still leading the AL West.

Up next... our next opponent is the dangerous Texas Rangers after taking this Monday off. And it is to be held here in Houston. However, I am not sure if the Astros will have to move the game to Arlington or hold it here in Houston. Hurricane Harvey's impact to the Houston area may be interesting to determine if we can play the series here in Houston or take things up north. Harvey will be a low pressure system moving towards Dallas by about Thursday or Friday. So we'll see how this goes.

Elsewhere...

...here are some extra scores from Sunday's games:

* Seattle at New York Yankees (10-1; New York Yankees)
* Kansas City at Cleveland (12-0; Cleveland)
* Pittsburgh at Cincinnati (5-2; Pittsburgh)
* San Diego at Miami (6-2; Miami)
* New York Mets at Washington Nationals (6-5; New York Mets)

Congratulations to all series winners as well as game winners from today.

Rhys Hoskins week from August 19th to August 27th.
Aug 19 at SF: HR
Aug 20 at SF: HR
Aug 22 vs. MIA: HR, no HR (Double Header)
Aug 23 vs. MIA: HR
Aug 24 vs. MIA: HR
Aug 25 vs. CHC: HR
Aug 26 vs. CHC: HR
Aug 27 vs. CHC: HR

8 HR in his past 9 games. He is the fastest player to 11 HR in 18 career games.

Because of Hurricane Harvey, I learned the upcoming Rangers at Astros series will be played in Tampa Bay at Tropicana Field. Houston has this day off. Not sure if this series will eventually be played in Houston, but we will be having our in-state Texas rivalry... in another state.

Because of Hurricane Harvey, I learned the upcoming Rangers at Astros series will be played in Tampa Bay at Tropicana Field. Houston has this day off. Not sure if this series will eventually be played in Houston, but we will be having our in-state Texas rivalry... in another state.
It will not be. Series vs. Mets may also be there.

Well according to Astros' coach A.J. Hinch Blitz24, Minute Maid Park held up pretty well. There will be a decision as to whether or not the Mets series will be moved to Houston or be in Tampa Bay. That's all I've heard thus far.

Word has it that the Houston Astros will have Friday as a travel day and that their Interleague series with the New York Mets will be a doubleheader this Saturday at Minute Maid Park. Hurricane Harvey didn't do too much damage to Minute Maid Park. The Astros had to travel to Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, FL, USA for their games as a temporary home. The Astros, meanwhile, have figuratively had the wind taken from their sails after Hurricane Harvey. They been destroyed 12-2 on Tuesday by Texas and 8-1 last night. Almost as if to say Mother Nature or the baseball gods dislike the Astros right about now. While I still don't see the Astros winning it all this season, I am just hoping this doesn't start a downward spiral this season that the Astros can't fight out of. I'll do the full summary of this TEX at HOU (or what was supposed to be that) some time in the future.

Hope your team(s) is/are doing well. Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Our first series after Hurricane Harvey took place. What was to be a homecoming from a brief trip to Anaheim ended up with us going to Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida, USA. The series ended up like this:

GM1 TEX vs. HOU: 12-2; Texas
GM2 TEX vs. HOU: 8-1; Texas
GM3 TEX vs. HOU: 5-1; Houston

We finally hit 80 wins on the season. The Astros picked up Cameron Maybin from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim off waivers. Our record is now 80-53.

Up next... with Friday off, the Houston Astros Baseball Club will be back in Houston to host Blitz24's New York Mets in Interleague play. The game on Saturday will be a doubleheader.

Congratulations to the winners of recent series as well as today's games.

Tigers traded Justin Upton to the Angels. Makes sense to me since he said he was going to opt out at the end of the season anyway.

We... got Verlander? *hysterical happy dance* Wow! Hope he can pay dividends for the Houston Astros Baseball Club...

I'm just amazed that they actually got it done instead of talking about it for months. At least now I don't have to listen to everyone in Detroit talking about what ifs with JV anymore.

As a Tigers fan, I'm crushed by the news. However, Verlander deserves a World Series and hopefully, he can help Houston get one.

And really it all has the makings of an ESPN 30 for 30: a city devastated by floods fights it way back to win the World Series over LA and brings hope to everyone.

As of the time of this post, here are the current standings as October is a-callin'. Where is/are your favorite team(s)?

--- AMERICAN LEAGUE ---
AL EAST: Boston (76-58), NYY (71-62), BAL (68-66), TB (67-68), TOR (62-72)
AL CENTRAL: Cleveland (77-56), MIN (70-63), KC (65-67), DET (58-75), CHW (52-80)
AL WEST: Houston (80-53), LAA (69-55), TEX (66-67), SEA (66-68), OAK (58-75)
AL WILD CARD (top 2 only): New York Yankees (71-62) and Minnesota (70-63)

--- NATIONAL LEAGUE ---
NL EAST: Washington (81-52), MIA (66-67), ATL (59-74), NYM (58-75), PHI (50-83)
NL CENTRAL: Chicago Cubs (74-60), MIL (70-64), STL (67-66), PIT (63-71), CIN (57-77)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (91-44), ARI (76-58), COL (72-61), SD (59-74), SF (53-83)
NL WILD CARD: Arizona (76-58) and Colorado (72-61)

--- OTHER OBSERVATIONS ---
RECORDS...
...BEST RECORD: Los Angeles Dodgers (91-44)
...WORST RECORD: Philadelphia (50-83)
...BEST HOME: Los Angeles Dodgers (52-16)
...BEST AWAY: Houston (42-22)
...WORST HOME: Philadelphia (28-37)
...WORST AWAY: Oakland (21-44)

STREAKS:
...LONGEST WINNING: Cleveland (8 straight wins)
...LONGEST LOSING: Seattle and Los Angeles Dodgers (5 straight losses each)
...BEST CURRENT 10 GAME STREAK: Arizona (9-1)
...WORST CURRENT 10 GAME STREAK: Seattle, Pittsburgh, and San Francisco (3-7 each)

One last month of regular season action. Still plenty of time to make one last playoff push if you are still in it. Don't give up the fight!

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

The Houston Astros returned home this weekend to Minute Maid Park to host the New York Mets in Interleague play. This is their first action in Houston after Hurricane Harvey. They played a doubleheader on Saturday followed by a game earlier today. How did the Astros do? Let's find out in this summary:

GM1 NYM at HOU: 12-8; Houston
GM2 NYM at HOU: 4-1; Houston
GM3 NYM at HOU: 8-6; Houston

Home sweep home... I mean, home sweet home! We are now 83-53 on the season. That's 30 games over .500! Thirty games over .500 for a team that had 100+ losses for three straight seasons years ago. The Houston Astros hold a 13.5 game lead in the AL West at present.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club? We're going to entertain the Seattle Mariners in Seattle for a three-game set starting tomorrow evening. Seattle is currently 69-68 and trying to be in that AL Wild Card mix.

Congratulations to all recent series winners as well as Sunday game winners.

Robbie Ray on fire through 5 right now. 15 up, 15 down. Looking very good out there.

edit: I jinxed him.

edit 2: This game is just nuts. That's the best way to put it.

edit 3: How about JD Martinez? :lol:

Last edited:
After the Houston Astros swept Blitz24's New York Mets at home after Hurricane Harvey, we went to Seattle starting on Monday to entertain the Seattle Mariners at their fine ballpark. Here is how the series ended up...

GM1 HOU at SEA: 6-2; Houston
GM2 HOU at SEA: 3-1; Houston
GM3 HOU at SEA: 5-3; Houston

The winning ways of the Houston Astros continued, as we are now 86-53 on the season.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... the Astros have today off, but our road trip continues as we'll be playing both of California's AL teams, starting with a three-game weekend set at the Oakland Athletics followed by a three-game set (after Monday off) at the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

I hope your favorite team(s) is/are doing well. So congratulations to all recent series winners as well as those who won on yesterday. Congrats also to all who won today/tonight.

Tigers tickets are now cheaper than a beer in some sections of Comerica Park. Yes, you read that right.

Considering beer at Comerica is more than that GDP of some third world nations that doesn't surprise me.

Kind of wish I still lived in the Detroit area, it's be nice to hang out at the ballpark for so cheap right now. I don't care how bad they are, a day at Comerica is always a good time.

I really hope we sign some decent free agents in the off-season. Although with Avila at the helm, we will probably sign a bunch of washed up players and since it's a major Detroit sports team, they'll all be signed to ridiculous contracts.

D-Backs were having a labor day sale on tickets for the Colorado series next week. I got an outfield bleacher seat above the pool for the Wednesday game for $8.75 including fees.

Back