Martial Artists

• Thread starter oosacker
  • 249 comments
this blue tachi is gorgeous

Attachments

• swords4.jpg
    swords4.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 25
kitchen knife do me any day lol...or a fishing knife for that matter, but dunno what i would use them for...cooking and fishing maybe :confused: :rolleyes:

I did Taekwondo and got my Black belt 1st Dan after about 3 and a half years or so. I recently stopped Taekwondo because the stress on the knees from kicking...well people (chest guards) ...anyway I learnt a bit of Brazillian Ju Jitsu and Mui Tai but finally settled down with Wushu. I've been doing Wushu for over a year now and I'm learning Broadsword now. Soon I'll learn Cudgel (dangerous stick).

Can you guys help me out I am trying to choose between boxing,kickboxing,Judo,or Muay Thai which is a combanation of kickboxing and boxing and a couples other moves like elbows knees and alot of other things

Bryce302
Can you guys help me out I am trying to choose between boxing,kickboxing,Judo,or Muay Thai which is a combanation of kickboxing and boxing and a couples other moves like elbows knees and alot of other things

More important than what style you start, is finding a good school.

Any of the martial arts will teach you lots of good stuff if you can find the right teachers to teach you.

Just jump in and have a go, you will soon know if that style (or more importantly that school) is right for you.

Andy.

I choose Hapkido because the my teacher is cool and my cousin goes to the school so that was a plus.

Ok my brother is trying to pick a fighting style and he looked around town and found a couple of styles and teachers he likes Hapkido, Aikido, Taekwondo, karate, tai chi. Only thing is that he is like 13 5'7 and he wieghs like 180 pounds. Im just wondering if he is setting himself up to do any of these he wants to do Hapkido.

I have the white belt Wado-Ryu Karate, worked very hard to get it... glad to see the hard work paid off...

Haha... well I actually do have it, but I started with it about 8 months ago. Hopefully I can finally try to get the yellow one next month.

Only thing that still bothers me is the sokto (?spelling?) also known as yoko geri in other styles... that kick annoys me.

oosacker
if i had a real one we dont use real swords cos we dont want dead people lying around the dojo

As an absolute fan of any martial art I should let loose all my knowledge an wisdom:

Guess practising with a real katana is called iaido (Art of drawing a sword) but you are mostly not fighting against each other althouh there are showfights where both know the actions of each other before. It´s like a kata (training of a perfect sequece of moves). Kendo is a japanese sport reducing traditional swordfights mainly to hits from above onto head and shoulders or stiches in direction of breast and stomache.

I practiced judo when I was younger and later on aikido. Unfortunately I had to stop when a VW Golf drove over my right hand when i was riding bike drunk. Well everythink is ok with it again but I´m now doing weightlifting. I desperatly want to become a taekwondo fighter but I guess stretching is much more necessary for it than shaping up muscles.

Im a purple belt in Zen Do Kai Karate. Took a year and 4 months for it. Here are the belts:

White > Yellow > Orange > Green > Blue White > Blue Black > Purple White (thats me) > Purple Black > Red White > Red Black > Brown White > Brown Black > Black White > Black Yellow > Black Green > Black Red > Black Brown > Black.

Ram-Rod
Im a purple belt in Zen Do Kai Karate. Took a year and 4 months for it. Here are the belts:

White > Yellow > Orange > Green > Blue White > Blue Black > Purple White (thats me) > Purple Black > Red White > Red Black > Brown White > Brown Black > Black White > Black Yellow > Black Green > Black Red > Black Brown > Black.

Weird grading system. Do you guys start at 18th Kyu?

I'd almost think you're a member of a so called belt factory. Handing out lots of belts, because that keeps the customers happy.... did I say customer? I meant karateka.

Of course I haven't seen the trainings at your dojo so I can't judge it, but it looks funny with all these different belts..

^ is that pt sparring? i think kyukushin style tournaments are much more fun, then comes muay thai/kick boxing. and maybe if you want even more of a challenge, mma, and if you are crazy Vale tudo.

here's a good kyokusin karate tournament vid. its a highlight of ryu http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y53DO5AU
and a few more of various fightershttp://subfighter.com/modules.php?n...ushin&osCsid=0902841fdebf08174a7f25e60fbf4681

and an old video of royce gracie vs a well known Kung fu master
http://plsthx.com/Sports_videos/525_Royce_Gracie_vs_Kung_Fu_Expert.html

here's a nice lil GIF of Remy's flying roundhouse
32415365613.gif

Sakuraba's been watching a bit too much streetfighter 2 turbo edition
sakuslide9ek.gif

er... soccer getting a bit violent?
image.gif

My class can go anywere from a center punch to a triple flying kick. And my special move, the superkick to the neck (thats a knock-out move). BTW, my gf is a purple-black belt.

new years eve some of the best fighters in the world will fight in the "Pride FC Grand Prix" including the undesputed no.1 fighter in the world. its going to be insane!!! Its martial arts in one of the purest forms you can see today.

I'm strongly considering taking some Kendo. I need to find a class, and then start getting in shape.

Back