Martial Artists

• Thread starter oosacker
  • 249 comments
Omnis
I'm strongly considering taking some Kendo. I need to find a class, and then start getting in shape.
You'll get in shape through the training. Although some fitness is needed, and more if you start competing, it's not everything. We have a 6ft 220lb black belt who is very good, and he is by no means muscular.

Okay, guys. I start kendo on monday, along with iaido, kenjitsu, and other kata work that will also be availible to me.

This is going to rock.

Omnis
Okay, guys. I start kendo on monday, along with iaido, kenjitsu, and other kata work that will also be availible to me.

This is going to rock.
Sweet. Are you gonna start carrying a cane with you everywhere soon?

The next Pride Tournament is going to have no weight limits. It is going to be CRAZY!! :scared: i have a feeling there are gonna be a few upsets. omg this is risky...:nervous:

Wow. I just had my first session of Kendo. What a rush. It's ridiculously cool.

Just found this thread, I do Kuk Sool Won.
http://www.kuksoolwon.com
Click to find out more.

Ive being studying for 4 yrs now and promted to first degree black belt in 2004. I love every minute of it and would say to anyone go do it.

If you herd of it, seen it or even do it would love to talk to you about it.

thats nice :) I got a black belt in tkd a few years ago myself. only thing is how combat effective do you think Kuk Sool Won is? how complete of a fighting style is it?

Guys, my hamstrings are f'ing sore. Lol. I can't believe how much of a leg workout I got from suburi alone.

Omnis
Guys, my hamstrings are f'ing sore. Lol. I can't believe how much of a leg workout I got from suburi alone.
It takes a while to get used to it all, but after a while you'll be fine.

It's just when you stop doing it for a while and you lose your flexibility that sucks.

I have like zero flexibility. I can't even sit in a chair and keep my foot 90deg's to my leg with my leg straighted out. Not without a good stretch sensation, anyway. Lol.

So you guys are all hardcore and everything huh? :sly:

How much time have you all spent learning about the philosophies behind the arts?

Does anyone practice in un-orthadox ways?
I'm no martial artist or anything but I've spent some good time training. 👍

For a while I was doing all kinds of crazy stuff (that my fat whiskey butt could never do now :lol: ).

I'd have to say that if I could get into anything at this point, I would want to learn a "hybrid" fighting style like what you would get in special forces hand-to-hand combat training. :mischievous:

Might not have a fancy name but damn those guys can roll.

What I find to be so interesting about all fighting (in general) is how similar everything can be at times.

Although the strict fundamentalist of each form may argue with me about that, I find that in the end we are all doing punches, kicks, and throws that involve the same parts of the body.
Sure that's a simplistic way of saying it but isn't it true?

I bet bruce would agree with me. 👍

Yes :P well that depends on what you value. Some people care about becoming better fighters... better people and not limiting themselves to one way...
Bruce Lee and many other guys have cross trained. I'd say the gracies were the most successfull of the past 200 years. They pretty much caused this big awakening thats occuring in the martial arts community. Aparently some people are still asleep :P
Do you guys know who the greatest fighter is alive today?

Sakuraba?

I like wacking people in the face with big bamboo sticks...until I am the greatest fighter with a stick alive today.

sakuraba's not the best right now. but his nickname is "the Gracie killer" because he's beaten most of them... he's a awsome fighter but he's got lots of injuries now and he's a bit old.

43507wo.jpg

Best fighter right now is Fedor emelianenko. He doesnt look very scary does he. but i'd bet on him against any other man in a fight today.👍

here's him doing a Sambo demonstration with his younger brother in korea a few weeks ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMBnBudXwUE

Oh yeah, I forgot about Fedor. He is okay, but I think Saku could've taken that ass in his prime. Saku definitely is a more vivid and devastating-like fighter. Fedor is like the slow killer. He always manages to weasel out the wins, the bastard.

omg fedor is like the fastest heavyweight out right now! what are u talking about? he outstruck crocop! and he outgrappled nog. he's the man.

You're so myopic. I didn't mean he's a slow killer as in he's slow. I meant that he doesn't rush in and destroy the **** out of dudes the way Saku does. He's calculating and cunning.

I know what you were talking about. Fedor has ended many more fighter early than Sakuraba does :P. come on man what are u talking about? Fedor Knocked out Zulu in what... 26 seconds?

:edit: he also ko'ed hiroya takada in 12 seconds :P

Yeah, but he does it without the psycho kamikazeness of sakuraba. Haha.

Fedor is more aggressive than sakuraba. :P i love saku. he's a grappling genius. And he does those mongolain chops and flying stomps and stuff. He even went and trained with Chute Boxe so now he's Chuterabba :P.

Did you see his fight with Minowa new year's eve? it was awsome :D

I found a really cool website for Bogu. When I purchase my armor, I will probably buy this:

http://www.budo-aoi.com/k_bogu_fd4.html

I'm also gonna get a dark indigo (almost purple black looking. lol.) Gi and maybe a black or indigo hakama. I'm gonna have to talk with my sensei and stuff.

What?

I just hope black or super dark stuff isn't that bad. I want the Gi that has the dry-tech crap on it so it doesn't soak in sweat and get all nasty smelling. My sensei's Gi smells like a typical kneepad sometimes.

I think that deer skin leather should be really cool though. A user on another forum says that his smell like fresh venison... makes him hungry and stuff. Haha.

Awesome. I just ordered my Gi, hakama, and two killer shinai. Pwnage. I'll take pics when I get them.

I got invited to go to the Hatsume festival and watch my sensei and the rest of the Shidogakuin club from Miami shiai on stage. I dunno if I'll be allowed on stage for observation. I don't recall exactly what he meant by, "You can come with us and watch."

Oh well. I'll find out. Haha. My kendo is getting very well. I finally got some decent footwork on that crappy floor.

nice :). kendo's fun. I've practiced techniques with the kendo stick before but never with full armour on. How much so would having on the full getup decrease mobility?

I don't know. I don't have armor yet. My gi is pretty heavy, though. It's going to take some getting used to. The word is that you have to learn Kendo all over again once you graduate to Bogu (armor).

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! WHAT THE F, MAN!

God damn e-bogu! They now have what I got for 186 bucks for JUST 99 DOLLARS. WTF! I need to call them and get a god damn refund. This is totally unfair.

Back