Martial Artists

• Thread starter oosacker
  • 249 comments
Hey, good news:

The miami dojo is moving north enough for me to drive to without much of a problem! This means I'll get to practice a lot more frequently and with a lot more people (most of whom are all yudansha)! Yay!

Damn. My feet are KILLING me. What an awesome practice. It's amazing how off you become when you don't practice for a few weeks.

um yeah... i hope thats not how they train self defence against a gun -_-... but it obviously is so i guess i'm hoping against reality... because its gonna suck for them when they see how effective it is.

A forwards or side flip of some sort is going to get you untargeted long enough to reach the arm that may not be next to the shoulders/head is what i figure.

That last throw is going to work, just before being bound in a hostage or a hold-up situation.

hey guys
just thought i'd poke my head in and say hi
i do shaolin kung fu
i find it very satisfying
and as far as ragging on other MA styles is concerned that's not cool,don't generalise guys. there's bound to be someone that overturn the odds

i thought this thread was about sharing similar pastimes and passions. all i see is bickering

really it's not worth the bandwidth.

what do you find satisfying about Shaolin kung fu? i dont see any ragging or bickering going on here. what specificly do you see in this thread that is a waste of bandwidth?

Bastards.

The WKF have just made shin and in-step protectors compulsory :grumpy: Worst part, it is £23 a pair... So that's £46 for a competition set :banghead: My sensei reckons that head guards will be next. Not cool.

some kendo master chick "accidentally" stabbed her husband somewhere in asia recently... i cant remember where exactly. he died.

Gabkicks
some kendo master chick "accidentally" stabbed her husband somewhere in asia recently... i cant remember where exactly. he died.

Got the story?

It's gonna be weird going back to kendo tonight after a week and a half. I haven't been able to do suburi at all. I just hope that the older sensei isn't there today. He always gets on my case if I don't practice, because he can tell. Hahaha.

Also, Exige, that really sucks. Is WKF the World Karate Federation, or something? Welsh?

Omnis
Also, Exige, that really sucks. Is WKF the World Karate Federation, or something? Welsh?
Yeah it's the Welsh Karate Federation. I'm actually a part of the WKA (Welsh Karate Assosciation) but we compete in WKF competitions aswell.

Gabkicks
what do you find satisfying about Shaolin kung fu? i dont see any ragging or bickering going on here. what specificly do you see in this thread that is a waste of bandwidth?

hey gabkicks,
in regards to your questions :
i value MA because it has made me a better person, physically aswell as mentally and for that i'm greatful.
i had glanced over 10 pages of posts in this thread and there is definately an indifference between forms especially grappling vs traditional MA. what i've learnt over the years is that each style has their own advantages/disadvantages, so i see the whole discussion of 'my style is better than yours' is a waste of bandwidth. the thread itself is rather interesting. interesting because i like to know whats involved with other styles (eg. kendo) from a first person perspective rather than a general overview wikipedia explaination

hope that clarifies my statement

how is it a waste of time if its true? I'm not saying grappling is better than striking. i'm saying its better to know everything than know very little.
I wonder if some people are not in check with reality. Kendo is onpar with fencing or archery or marksmanship. so on that level it is a martial art. Sure you're more likely to get in a gun or knife fight than end up than running someone through with a katana or a longbow...

Its just with alot of martial arts schools give the people that train there a false sense of confidence. Sure its nice to work your way up to blackbelt and get a sense of accomplishing something. But do you really have the skills to protect yourself and lovedones when in a life threatening situation? What did all those years of training really do for you? Do you see any serious holes in your fight game? Do you even have the knowledge to see those holes? If you can't honestly ask yourself those questions and search for the answers then what is the point?

i'm not speaking to only you yen, i'm talking to everyone else who doesnt appear to be asking themselves the questions they should be.

go here www.subfighter.com and ask around. lots of cool guys willing to help you out with finding a gym and training and stuff.
and some random slam GIF's

bzdura
28abkjnjr5.gif

parisyanlytleharaiir4.gif

pqlamziencjv6.gif

11204031990ch0.gif

23fgnetmedu2.gif

14srnynpk6.gif

25sjsmjsalj4.gif

:grumpy: Got DQed today for 'contact' to the head.

Basically I was 4 points down, 10-5 secs down, already caught him with a mwashagari, figured I could catch him again. Trew a sheemawash (sp?), he moved to avoid it so I flicked it round in a mwashagari (Planned before he moved) but he moved onto it and big hit happened.

Cue, lots of blood and St John's ambulance people.

that dick is only the best fighter in the world :P. obviously that ad wasnt made for american fans to see. it isnt an official ad. just something from a random japanese pro wrestling magazine.

Pride is finally coming to america this month. :) only thing is... the rules are much more strict...

no elbows
no kneeing head on ground
no stomps (big minus for chute box guys :P)

it should still be good tho. its a very good lineup with lots of american fighters. I am wondering how randleman will perform. will he feel confidant in his own striking and stand and trade with Shogun's muay thai/tkd skills?

I know it's Fedor...

I can't believe they got rid of elbows. That sucks.

meh, elbows usually just cause cuts. and cuts cause early stoppages. some fighters throw smashing elbows like tito. if you look at ken, he didnt have any cuts on his face but he was bruised up and tito hit him with alot of elbows. those are cool. most people throw cutting elbows. Pride doesnt have elbows in japan because winning via cut is lame... but it is part of the game.

It sux they took out stomps and knees from top position on ground. due to stupid NSAL rules :P.

it is crazy how amazing Fedor is. after not fighting for 10 months straight... he just comes back, dominates and submits Coleman.

Yeah, Fedor is awesome, but the American Flag is awesome than he.

Elbows own.

Back