Martial Artists

• Thread starter oosacker
  • 249 comments
goodone-1.gif

wow, this might be the gayest k1 moment i've ever seen

can someone explain the jump kick to me, i'am new to MA, but this is one thing i cant get very high... I'am 5'2" and can jump high, but I have a hard time... this is what I am doing...

Take 2 steps
plant right foot
launch off right foot
"step" in the air with left foot, and bring the right foot up for the kick, almost in drop kick formation, and than land...

Its very sketchy, can someone help me!?

Bakauw is the best striker in the world.

Different rules for different promotions. Shogun's soccer kicks aren't permitted in UFC, Thai clinch isn't permitted in k-1. Seems elbows are used by some fighters to cut their opponent and get a win by stoppage (KenFlo?).

I wonder if Aleks will be able to come to America (ex-con :)), if so, I hope he signs with the UFC and stomps the Maine-iac out.

Jump kick?
228c3fe3859b889b07ade78d46ffcdf4.gif

that is so funny how they changed the rules cus Buakaw was owning everone . :D lol.

shogun missing tornado kick.
shogun1wo0rv0ho1.gif

and buakaw
000522341bpp1hq3.gif

No, nothing like that backflip type jump kick, just like a drop kick, with out the "drop" when you land back on your feet...

it may have to do with the unflexable part... lmfao

you mean like a jumping front kick? but with both of your feet i think...? that kick is pretty hard :D just work on it over and over. its best to practice that on a mat. because you will land your feet very hard untill you get good at it.

in the morning, as soon as you get up. try doing some stretch kicks. swing each of your legs up about 50% of the highest you can swing them 2 or 3 times. then 100% 3 or more times. then swing your legs sideways. 50% a few times than 100%.

here's a good read on how to have better dynamic flexibility for kicking.
http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch5.html

Did you see Semmy won the '06 GP, he's unstoppable in K-1 now, but somehow unlikeable, like Tim Sylvia, only actually he dominates his opponents.

people say semmy shilt and Silvia are unskilled and only win because they are huge. Most athletic guys his size are playing basket ball or some other sport.

tim silvia showed good bjj technique against monson on the ground... Semmy semmy is pretty good :) he even fights mma once in a while and actually tapped out a judoka.

K1 is much more popular in Japan than Pride, he would be wise to stick to kickboxing and stay away from MMA, they're too different.

It's one thing to be good, it's another to beat 3 k1 legends, hoost, aerts and jlb (arguably the hardest hitting best hw striker in mma/k1) in 1 night.

Hey guys, I'm leaving for my first Kendo Taikai in about an hour. I'm going to be in the 16-18 division and the mudansha (below black belt) division. I'm so nervous about this tournament, lol.

Wish me luck!

Good luck!

Go with confidence, and be prepared to learn!

In other competition news, I'm reffing at an under 14s competition Sunday. How fun :grumpy:

Man, what an experience.

I drew my first two rounds in the Age 16-18 division against an ikkyu (a girl :rolleyes:, but she was a really nice person and stuff) and a shodan. They gave the decisions to the other people because I wasn't aggresive enough, though. I was a little nervous and I didn't get to warm up. I also wasn't used to the size of the ring and everything. So, anyway, I got knocked out because of the round-robin format they had to use.

Afterwards, though, I went in the single-elimination Mudansha (below black-belt) division and lost the match to make quarter-finals. I think I did pretty well. However, as I was still getting used to the ring size (they used this mauve-colored tape; couldn't see ****), I stepped out. So, I got a hansoku (warning; two hansoku = point deduction). Then, we were fighting near the edge again and he forced me out. I got a point deduction and then they called time on the match, so he won. He wound up winning the tournamet, so I kind of feel better about losing. He definitely deserves it because he's both a cool guy and an excellent kendo player. He used to train with the guys from my dojo and stuff.

So, after the Yudansha groups fought (below 3-dan, above 3-dan), we started a team thing. I did really well there. I beat the first guy I faced and our dojo made quarter-finals. We lost to Maeda-Sensei (7-dan; best guy playing there) and his Tennessee Meiji Gakuin dojo. Besides, Maeda, their team also had Hyun-sensei, who is a 5-dan. We made it so our 3 best guys would take on their 3 weakest guys, leaving me to fight Hyun and a guy who joined us from another dojo to take Maeda. :scared: One of our guys lost, though. Now it was up to me and the other guy :lol:. I got my ass kicked by Hyun, although I think I put up a good fight, especially for my first tourney. He is SO fast. He got my Men twice and won. I'm so glad I got to fight him, though. He was super nice and came to shake my hand and stuff. 👍 Maeda cleaned up and their team went on to win the team division.

Maeda was really proud of me, though. He was telling me how good I did and to continue because he thought I could become great. That was really cool. I love Kendo, man. I've met nothing but class guys and have been treated with genuine kindness the entire time. Maeda's compliments were just the icing on the cake.

I hope you all enjoyed my write-up. I have videos that I'll upload sooner or later if you guys are interested.

Sounds like you had a great time 👍

(warning; two hansoku = point deduction).
Category 2 warning, hansoku Chui. :D

And out of interest, how are other martial arts officiated?

In karate it's generally 2 judges and a ref. The two judges being in the opposite corners to the ref who is allowed to move around while the judges sit down.

The judges are also given flags and use them to show who's scored and how much, fouls and communication with the ref. Looks complicated but it's actually pretty simple once you know it.

we have 3 shimpan, one is the main ref and the other are supporting. The main is always between the two kendoka, and the other two are on the other side behind each player's shoulder. it looks like this:

i'm not sure cus the image isnt showing up, but he was doing a victory dance after ko'ing someone, i think. :P
i just started training brazilian jiujitsu formally under Gigueto Soares and Dave Ferriera. Its almost overwhelming when you start to realize the vast amount of techniques and then little tweaks, modifications and counter to techniques.

If i dont get crippled or injured in some way, I should be able to go all the way and become an A level fighter. Right now i'm just trying to become more skilled at groundfighting even though i prefer kicking people in the head. :P

Back