Mazda CX/MX range discussion

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 399 comments
3.3 liter inline 6 turbo making 340 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque (on premium fuel)
Mazda has a habit of sacrificing on-paper headline numbers for really tractable powertrains, so I suspect this one will be a really good fit for this car even if the power numbers are not immediately impressive looking. I'm liking the silhouette.
Not impressive looking?! I see 340 hp and 369 torques and what I think is wow, that's only 40 hp less and one more torque than a Supra. Not impressive? That's a downpipe and a tune away from being a Supra engine in a family SUV. How is that not impressive?

This engine is primed to be plopped in a new sports car. That's what I'm reading. And as you said, Mazda has a habit of making "adequate" engines that run and feel smooth so a little computer fiddling could surely turn this thing into a sporty ripper without much trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not impressive looking?! I see 340 hp and 369 torques and what I think is wow, that's only 40 hp less and one more torque than a Supra. Not impressive? That's a downpipe and a tune away from being a Supra engine in a family SUV. How is that not impressive?

This engine is primed to be plopped in a new sports car. That's what I'm reading. And as you said, Mazda has a habit of making "adequate" engines that run and feel smooth so a little computer fiddling could surely turn this thing into a sporty ripper without much trouble.
I'm reacting to the power/torque balance. As with the 2.5T this thing probably has a turbo with a small hot side optimized to provide a lot of low end torque and probably not rev beyond 6,000rpm. It's the right choice for a big SUV but I'd bet that many manufacturers would tune that same engine to produce more power at higher RPM at the expense of grunt because that looks better on paper. I agree that 340hp is a ton from an absolute perspective.

More teasers

1674187632982.png

1674187700805.png

1674187765698.png

1674187831371.png

1674187883923.png

1674187914719.png

I think it's interesting how much they're leaning into the RWD aspect of the car when most people will probably opt for the AWD. Anyways, I really do hope the car is as engaging to drive as the old CX-5. They've put in a lot more effort into marketing this time around compared to the CX-60

More teasers

View attachment 1224259

View attachment 1224261

View attachment 1224262

View attachment 1224263

View attachment 1224264

View attachment 1224265

I think it's interesting how much they're leaning into the RWD aspect of the car when most people will probably opt for the AWD. Anyways, I really do hope the car is as engaging to drive as the old CX-5. They've put in a lot more effort into marketing this time around compared to the CX-60

I'd like to add a slightly different screenshot to this list:

Capture mazda cx90.JPG

Compare that to the CX-60.

2022_mazda_cx-60_global_still_09_highres.jpg

Seemingly the same grille and headlights although the bumper grilles are all different and smoother, prettier in my opinion. But the most important thing here is the fenders. The CX-60 is clearly a much skinnier car. The fenders have had an inch or more of width chopped off, resulting in a much larger flat arch area, and the plastic arch is completely flat. The American CX-90's fenders continue that outward shape resulting in a smaller flat area, and they also have a plastic arch extension like Euro brands often use, resulting in another bit of width. These details already make it look more substantial and pretty whereas the CX-60 looks rigid and lanky. Just from these little screenshots, the CX-90 is a vastly better design than the CX-60.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit: Later in the video we see the rocker panel of the CX-90 and it's clearly been extended quite a bit compared to the CX-60 to match the width of the fenders and had a nice little chrome strip. The CX-60 just looks flat and square and lame in comaprison.

Last edited:
I'd like to add a slightly different screenshot to this list:

View attachment 1224268

Compare that to the CX-60.

2022_mazda_cx-60_global_still_09_highres.jpg

Seemingly the same grille and headlights although the bumper grilles are all different and smoother, prettier in my opinion. But the most important thing here is the fenders. The CX-60 is clearly a much skinnier car. The fenders have had an inch or more of width chopped off, resulting in a much larger flat arch area, and the plastic arch is completely flat. The American CX-90's fenders continue that outward shape resulting in a smaller flat area, and they also have a plastic arch extension like Euro brands often use, resulting in another bit of width. These details already make it look more substantial and pretty whereas the CX-60 looks rigid and lanky. Just from these little screenshots, the CX-90 is a vastly better design than the CX-60.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit: Later in the video we see the rocker panel of the CX-90 and it's clearly been extended quite a bit compared to the CX-60 to match the width of the fenders and had a nice little chrome strip. The CX-60 just looks flat and square and lame in comaprison.
Unfortunately it appears to share this maddening detail with the CX-60. I refuse to believe any sober designer not under duress chose this as the resolution of the panel gaps.

hood.JPG

hood2.JPG

Last edited:
Unfortunately it appears to share this maddening detail with the CX-60. I refuse to believe any sober designer not under duress chose this as the resolution of the panel gaps.

View attachment 1224376
View attachment 1224375
Don't buy a white car I guess lol. All of these panels designs at the front of a car are dictated by engineering, not design, and they're engineering to pedestrian crash regs.

Last edited:
Don't buy a white car I guess lol. All of these panels designs at the front of a car are dictated by engineering, not design, and they're engineering to pedestrian crash regs.
I get that, but there are better and worse ways to do it. Part of a designer's job is understanding the constraints of engineering and providing good solutions.

For instance, the Mazda 3 pulls the hood completely in from the perimeter of the car (I still don't find this great, but at least it looks resolved)
M3.JPG

or how Kia & Hyundai have been absolutely killing it with their front end panel coordination, even on lowly products like the Soul here:
soul.JPG

It can be done, I guess I'm just disappointed that Mazda didn't try harder to get this right on arguably their most premium and expensive product they've ever made. I know this is a subtle thing that most people don't consciously perceive, but I do think it's a subliminal refinement thing that companies like Genesis work really hard to get right.

Last edited:
or how Kia & Hyundai have been absolutely killing it with their front end panel coordination, even on lowly products like the Soul here:
soul.JPG

It can be done, I guess I'm just disappointed that Mazda didn't try harder to get this right on arguably their most premium and expensive product they've ever made. I know this is a subtle thing that most people don't consciously perceive, but I do think it's a subliminal refinement thing that companies like Genesis work really hard to get right.
That's the old Soul. The new Soul also has the hood shut line much further up from the grill

2020-Kia-Soul-Review-02.jpg

Similarly for the Hyundai. At least one this one it looks a tad more cohesive where the shut lines continues through the headlight to the bumper panel gap

image-of-the-2021-hyundai-elantra.jpg

That's the old Soul. The new Soul also has the hood shut line much further up from the grill

2020-Kia-Soul-Review-02.jpg

Similarly for the Hyundai. At least one this one it looks a tad more cohesive where the shut lines continues through the headlight to the bumper panel gap

image-of-the-2021-hyundai-elantra.jpg
Yeah, the new Soul isn't as nice, which is why I posted the old one. HOWEVER, with both the new Soul and the Elantra, it at least looks intentional and integrated. It doesn't look like a "whoopsie" like it does on the CX-60/90.

Last edited:
2024-mazda-cx-90-electric-vehicle_v2.jpg

Look at those fatty fenders! So much healthier than that CX-60. This thing has stance like a second-gen BMW X5.

Also, I noticed something in the press videos that I really don't like and hope they change. I think it'll be off-putting to quite a few customers. I'd have to see it in person but in photos it's creeping me out.

1645581112964-png.1116562

What's with that weird gap in the dash fabric? It looks like the seam is splitting at best, or like an open wound at worst. I think a lot of people have mild trypophobia, or at least a disgust of ugly seams and gaps, and that is certainly an ugly gap. Not sure what they're trying to pull off here but it isn't working for me.

Last edited:
They talk to an (home) interior design Instagram influencer

1674778063182.png

The red is new. It's darker than the Soul Red that we're used to

2024-mazda-cx-90-electric-vehicle_v2.jpg

Look at those fatty fenders! So much healthier than that CX-60. This thing has stance like a second-gen BMW X5.

Also, I noticed something in the press videos that I really don't like and hope they change. I think it'll be off-putting to quite a few customers. I'd have to see it in person but in photos it's creeping me out.

1645581112964-png.1116562

What's with that weird gap in the dash fabric? It looks like the seam is splitting at best, or like an open wound at worst. I think a lot of people have mild trypophobia, or at least a disgust of ugly seams and gaps, and that is certainly an ugly gap. Not sure what they're trying to pull off here but it isn't working for me.
1674778098334.png

Sorry to confirm, but that stitch will still be there. Apparently it's inspired by Japanese tradition

1674778197169.png

1674778245078.png

I can agree with that. They’re just not doing anything in the name of performance and/or Sport any longer. No one outside of Japan’s own Super Taikyu and global MX-5/Roadster Cup could care less.
The Mazda Spirit Racing program could be a brand like Gazoo Racing, but I don’t think Mazda want to pour any money into performance cars for the street. I’d like them to prove me wrong though.

This has nothing to do with CXs and isn’t even relevant to America…but I want it to be. I miss the Mazda 2 and honestly it’s still a real looker. I’d love to have one.

Somehow this thing has over 100 exterior color combos.

Mazda2-1536x832.jpg

Apparently AutoJosh is a Nigerian website but this is the only copy of this photo I can find.

mazda2_refresh_autojosh_7jpg.jpg

Edit: Mazda is still a small company slowly but successfully rebranding themselves into a semi-premium lifestyle brand. They can’t really invest in more racing until they become more profitable. All their cars are still considerably more enjoyable to drive than their competition.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with CXs and isn’t even relevant to America…but I want it to be. I miss the Mazda 2 and honestly it’s still a real looker. I’d love to have one.

Mazda2-1536x832.jpg

Apparently AutoJosh is a Nigerian website but this is the only copy of this photo I can find.

Edit: Mazda is still a small company slowly but successfully rebranding themselves into a semi-premium lifestyle brand. They can’t really invest in more racing until they become more profitable. All their cars are still considerably more enjoyable to drive than their competition.
COVID killed the TCR program. I haven't read any news about a continuation of the program. It's been deaded. Seeing that was a Mazda USA program and how MX-5 Cup is still a big series in the states, seems like it's still viable for Mazda to go racing.

I don't understand the Mazda prototype racing program, as I haven't followed and not read up why it was not renewed.

Mazda are also represented, by name, in the One Make InterProto series. That series use a purpose built chassis for all teams. I'd like to see their profits since working with Toyota and Suzuki.

Mazda2-1536x832.jpg

Mazda2-1536x832.jpg

I think I saw that headline about the Mazda 2 refresh in my RSS feed as well, but I can't seem to find the original article, but here's a German article I found about it

2023-mazda2-jdm.jpg

In the article, it says that in Japan there are at least 198 color combinations which is crazy to me that they can afford to do that on their production line

But I think I had seen somewhere about the way Americans buy cars is different from other countries where most people in America usually just buy whatever is available on the lot unlike other places where they're more likely to order a car? Perhaps that's why it's viable for Mazda to do all those colors in Japan, especially when the manufacturing is so close

Also, it's surprising to me how much Mazda has already invested in prototype racing, especially in the US. When I looked into it, I didn't realize they had such a deep history

They had raced a rotary powered Courage prototype (2004 - 2006 ALMS) and an inline 4 turbo Lola prototype (2007 - 2013 ALMS). In 2013 they ran a Skyactiv-D Mazda 6 in the Rolex series (where they previously ran an RX-8). From 2014 to 2015, they ran the same diesel engine in a Lola in USCC. In 2016, they returned to the inline 4 in the Lola. Finally from 2017 to 2021, they ran their own prototype: the Mazda RT24-P built by Multimatic, who now makes the Porsche 963 LMDh. For three of those years, Team Joest, the people who previously ran the Audi R18 Le Mans program, partnered with them.

When they ended their most prototype program at the end of the 2021 season. In the press release they said they wanted to focus on the MX-5 Cup series.

Mazda Motorsports director Nelson Cosgrove will be departing the manufacturer at the end of this month, with motorsports marketing chief Mo Murray set to oversee the DPi program for the remainder of its term.

The manufacturer’s motorsports focus will center on the single-make Mazda MX-5 Cup, which kicked off in January under IMSA sanction, as well as other forms of grassroots racing.

Mazda2-1536x832.jpg

I loved my Mazda2. Great little car and way more fun than a 100hp hatchback has any right to be. For a while you could get a fully federalized 2nd gen Mazda2 in Puerto Rico (meaning you could bring it stateside, I believe), but checking the website now, it doesn't seem to be available there anymore :(

First image of the CX-90 leaked:

2024-mazda-cx-90-leak-reveals-its-body-in-great-detail-hours-before-the-official-launch-209476_1.jpg

Should have the official reveal later this morning. I'm really excited for this thing. Probably will be my next car

Really like it from the front wheels back. Not loving the front fascia.

70 miles on electric would be really fantastic if that's the case.

Last edited:
I really want that inline 6. But the PHEV 4 has the same torque. If they went 48v hybrid on the 6, why not just make it full beans PHEV? I'd love a mazdaspeed version with the 3rd row deleted and the 2nd row pushed back for more legroom. Maybe this will be the CX-70

2024-mazda-cx-90-side-view.jpg

2024-mazda-cx-90-interior.jpg

2024-mazda-cx-90-front-view.jpg

By now, Mazda's turbocharged 3.3-liter inline-six engine shouldn't be a surprise. Debuting last year with the CX-60 offered in markets outside the US, it's the range-topping mill for the CX-90. However, it's considerably more powerful here, developing 340 hp and 369 pound-feet of torque sent to all four wheels. That's not pure combustion power, however, as Mazda nestles a small electric motor between the engine and transmission in a mild hybrid setup.

For those seeking a broader application of electric power, the second option is Mazda's PHEV e-Skyactiv powertrain. A 2.5-liter four-cylinder works with an electric motor to generate a combined 323 hp and 369 lb-ft of twist, once again going to all four wheels. A 17.8 kWh battery feeds the motor, giving the CX-90 the capability for longer electric-only travel. If this all sounds familiar, it's the same setup offered in the CX-60 and as such, the CX-90 likely has a similar all-electric range of around 39 miles. Note we said likely – Mazda hasn't yet announced official CX-90 range figures.

Regardless of the engine, two things always remain the same. AWD is standard, and power reaches the ground through a new eight-speed automatic transmission that ditches the old-school torque converter. With electrification, Mazda says power delivery with this transmission is smooth and direct while also improving efficiency. We'll have to take Mazda's word on that last bit, as mileage stats aren't yet available. Similarly, the automaker isn't ready to share figures for acceleration or top speed.

Mazda equips the big SUV with Kinematic Posture Control, which debuted on the 2022 Miata to give the sports car better poise and feel in corners. The system applies slight brake pressure to the inside rear wheel during cornering, and according to Mazda, it helps suppress body roll while giving a liner feel to the CX-90's steering.

A 12.3-inch center infotainment screen sits atop the dash, complemented with an array of tactile controls for operating common-use features like seats and climate control. Another digital display is available for the driver, and depending on the options chosen, features like third-row air conditioning and USB-C charging ports are available.

So both the inline 6 and the base engine are hybrids, but only the base engine is a PHEV.

IMO, I think the rear three quarters looks really good, but I'm not a fan of the front, like the CX-60. It's way too flat and the headlights are like bug eyes. The thinner lights on the Mazda 3 and CX-50 look much better

Some in person photos from various outlets

CX90-2-scaled.jpg

48051bf09475ba0fb3f52904e3b2a9c2.jpg

fc6058233a11e76a10ed48a74b5b39c3.jpg

Another in person look at the CX-90

Really like it from the front wheels back. Not loving the front fascia.

70 miles on electric would be really fantastic if that's the case.
It's definitely not 70 miles

1675191076265.png

It's 70 miles combined and 21 miles electric only which is more in line with the Motor1 article where they mention it is the same drivetrain as the one in the CX-60

If this all sounds familiar, it's the same setup offered in the CX-60 and as such, the CX-90 likely has a similar all-electric range of around 39 miles.

Also, after they mentioned the grill looks like a Buick, I now can't unsee it

2018-Buick-Regal-GS-REVEAL-105-1.jpg

The rear lights are almost exactly like the 4 series

2023-bmw-4-series-coupe-rear-view-carbuzz-715610-1600.jpg

Last edited:
You know what? Last week, I was going to post how Mazda should have made a modern MPV. It’s nearly that. The rear bumper is flat. Just need to make the rear window more vertical. Would make a good Van option.
1675195232029.jpeg

The front end has the look of being just punched in the face somehow. I don't get how they went from the almost perfect looking CX-50 and CX-5 to this.

The front end has the look of being just punched in the face somehow. I don't get how they went from the almost perfect looking CX-50 and CX-5 to this.
It's because of the headlights. The bottom hi-beam lens doesn't follow the grill surround, and instead it cuts away from it and back into the bumper. It creates a sucked-in look that doesn't really work well. It looks ghastly on the CX-60 but the width of the CX-90 helps them get away with it. It's still enough to make you subtly uncomfortable about it.

The good news is that the non-Signature (I'm assuming that's what they'll call the top trim) interior still looks pretty good. I really hate the Reese's cup khaki/gold accents though.

Last edited:
Generally impressed with the CX-90, definitely exudes the premium feel that Mazda has been trying to encapsulate over the last few years. The sloping rear-end is pretty attractive, and it's refreshing that interior seems to prefer physical controls over endless screens.

Though, I hope the gas mileage for this is at least somewhat competitive. Mazda has been behind the curve on efficiency which matters more and more everyday. Hopefully they can deliver on price- it would really be a shame if this has a starting price of upwards of $50k, definitely would alienate a significant chunk of potential buyers.

It's because of the headlights. The bottom hi-beam lens doesn't follow the grill surround, and instead it cuts away from it and back into the bumper. It creates a sucked-in look that doesn't really work well. It looks ghastly on the CX-60 but the width of the CX-90 helps them get away with it. It's still enough to make you subtly uncomfortable about it.

The good news is that the non-Signature (I'm assuming that's what they'll call the top trim) interior still looks pretty good. I really hate the Reese's cup khaki/gold accents though.

I think what bothers me is that the CX-60 and CX-90 are very chin-forward (proud lower fascia), whereas the CX-50 and CX-5 are very brow-forward (recessed lower fascia). The result is that the 60 & 90 look a little slab-faced whereas the 50 and 5 have a more dynamic appearance. This is very likely an intentional differentiator to make the rwd platform cars seem more imposing/stately, but in reality I think it makes them look a little goofy because it conflicts with the design language for me. I think the current CX-9 does it better.

Latest Posts

Back