• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 361 comments

Keef

Premium
United States
Dayton, OH
GTP_KeefRacer
GTP Keef
Generally impressed with the CX-90, definitely exudes the premium feel that Mazda has been trying to encapsulate over the last few years. The sloping rear-end is pretty attractive, and it's refreshing that interior seems to prefer physical controls over endless screens.

Though, I hope the gas mileage for this is at least somewhat competitive. Mazda has been behind the curve on efficiency which matters more and more everyday. Hopefully they can deliver on price- it would really be a shame if this has a starting price of upwards of $50k, definitely would alienate a significant chunk of potential buyers.
Disagree on the efficiency argument. Mazda is the only one decoupling the torque converter at idle and the i-eloop system is clever and cheap. Their skyactive tech is legit. Pretty routine for a Mazda 6 2.5 to cruise the freeway at 40 mpg ad the 3 can do about the same. That's as good as a miserable base-model Nissan Altima with a CVT. Mazda's cars get top-tier real world fuel mileage, screw the EPA tests.

Omnis

Not Even A Real Mod
Staff Emeritus
United States
Application hell
MP-Omnis
I think what bothers me is that the CX-60 and CX-90 are very chin-forward (proud lower fascia), whereas the CX-50 and CX-5 are very brow-forward (recessed lower fascia). The result is that the 60 & 90 look a little slab-faced whereas the 50 and 5 have a more dynamic appearance. This is very likely an intentional differentiator to make the rwd platform cars seem more imposing/stately, but in reality I think it makes them look a little goofy because it conflicts with the design language for me. I think the current CX-9 does it better.
Agreed, but when you look at the car from standing height, it's really not as pronounced.

It should age pretty well. The 6 looks modern and classic at the same time. It will always be a good-looking car. This has a similar vibe. It really is their version of the E53 X5.

Though, I hope the gas mileage for this is at least somewhat competitive. Mazda has been behind the curve on efficiency which matters more and more everyday. Hopefully they can deliver on price- it would really be a shame if this has a starting price of upwards of $50k, definitely would alienate a significant chunk of potential buyers.
The only thing that held Mazda back in the mpg department was gearing. I get 25mpg city in a turbo with 310 ft lbs of torque on tap. In suburban driving, if I can keep the car in 45mph areas without too many stop lights, I get around 45-47mpg. Driving 85-90mph on the highway yields 26-28ish. I suspect it would be 30ish with a 7th highway gear. The 6th gear in the Mazda is not a massive leap and at 90mph you'll be around 3k rpm. The engine has so much torque that I think it could handle something around 2k and sip a little less fuel. I'm sure this is a big part of how BMWs with ZF's 8HP turn out such great fuel economy. Though I've never driven a car with the ZF unit, Mazda's 6-speed is fantastic. The only place I've seen it struggle is around intermediate speeds where it wants to fully lock up. You'll sometimes feel the software locking and unlocking while at a coast. This is all a moot point with the new 8-speed. I wonder if they were able to nest cluthches to save space like in Ford's 10R. Makes you wonder why they invested in developing the transmission if the layout is the same as ZF's.

Last edited: