Mazda launches Roadster restoration program

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 13 comments
Haven't a couple other companies done this? I know there are independent companies that do it for older cars like Range Rovers and Wagoneers, but I thought I remembered there being something along those lines that Nissan was doing for R32 GTRs.

Edit: DUUUURRRR it says so in the last paragraph which I misread that Nissan has such a program.

Last edited:
Haven't a couple other companies done this? I know there are independent companies that do it for older cars like Range Rovers and Wagoneers, but I thought I remembered there being something along those lines that Nissan was doing for R32 GTRs.

Some of the German marques do it as well. Mazda definitely is not the first, but it's great they are joining the others.

Given that the cars are normally worth less than a couple of thousand it's hard to see the point, even though I love them :D

Here's today's UK Autotrader, three brahmahs for under £2000, two of them the far more desirable 1.8 ;)

AutotraderMX5.JPG

Given that the cars are normally worth less than a couple of thousand
There's a caveat to that: The ones worth less than a couple of thousand are increasingly either sheds or dodgy modified stuff. I'd be surprised if each of the ones pictured didn't require some remedial work for rust, and invariably pretty much any car for a low-ish price will need something mechanical doing sooner rather than later.

I'd say about £3k is now starting price in the UK for an MX-5 that you could hop in, drive and largely forget about - though even at that money you'd probably be putting a few things on your shopping list. While some of the stuff I've done to mine was out of interest rather than necessity, I spent my first year with the car giving it a full fluids and belts service, new brakes, new clutch, new tyres, an alignment... were it not for some perks of my job (i.e. free stuff) I'd probably have spent the value of the car itself in maintenance since buying it in February 2015.

Of course, even £3k seems low for someone who might then consider having a car restored - but these cars are now of the age where people are treating them as they would any other classic car. People were restoring MGBs and Cortinas when they were worth sod-all a decade ago, too.

Probably also worth throwing in the factor that this is Japan where it's relatively difficult to run an old car in general thanks to the shaken etc, so a) if you own an older car you're probably already spending a decent wedge of money on it and b) there's more incentive to make sure it's as perfect as possible.

Anyway... I think it's pretty cool Mazda's doing this. Mazda still seems hugely dedicated to the MX-5 as an entity - it's pretty much responsible for the entire company's image these days - and it'd be great to see some original Roadsters given the full resto treatment. Wonder if they'll commission a reproduction of the Pioneer MSSS stereo that my car originally came with...

Recycling at its best .
LandRover are doing the same with the series1 . They're scouring the planet for whatever they can find, then doing a full strip down and a factory rebuild . With prices starting at £60k I think there will be a few other manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon soon .

So, far, the best were the classic Z restorations. However, the MX-5 is going to be great. All those special edition NAs. Wonder if it's cheaper to import one of those(especially the special models) over buying an ND.

Recycling at its best .
LandRover are doing the same with the series1 . They're scouring the planet for whatever they can find, then doing a full strip down and a factory rebuild . With prices starting at £60k I think there will be a few other manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon soon .
I would suspect so, as a lot of more notable models from the '80s and '90s are entering vintage/classic age and almost all of the typical collector fodder is far out of the reach of most people now. That way the manufacturers get some of the money flying around in the current collector's bubble, and the collectors get a guarantee that the cars they're buying are in OEM condition and thus have actual value to them.

Back