Mazda RX-7 (FD) Non-Racing Car Super Lap: Special Stage Route 5

• Thread starter JogoAsobi
  • 241 comments
I'm having a tough time getting gold on this one. Never was very good at this track. Can anyone post a video oh their gold lap s I can pick up some pointers? Thank you!

Here are two videos of this TT.... The first is my stock lap which I did on Thursday, and the second is my latest best lap....

GT6 [TT#10] Mazda RX-7(FD) @ SSR5 [GOLD Lap @ STOCK with DS3][1'33.940]

GT6 [TT#10] Mazda RX-7(FD) @ SSR5 [GOLD Lap with DS3][1'28.970]

👍

EDIT: better quality videos added.

Last edited:
SpecialStageRoute5TT_zps99df893a.jpg

Down to 1'28.973 for 72nd place atm. Tune is now published, here is the link. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/resources/mazda-rx-7-spirit-r-type-a-fd-02.78/

Just a heads up and little reminder, all my tunes from this point forward are going to be made with my new GTEye brake mod installed. I believe this to be an important factor to note as my braking characteristics are going to be a bit different than they were before the mod. I am now able to brake more precisely than before and trail braking is going to be more of a factor than it was before. You may not even notice it in the tune, but I just thought it was worth bringing up just in case. Good luck everyone. Keep pushing and don't stop till you reach your goals. Stay fast my friends.

Mitch "CargoRatt"

Last edited:
Bah ha ha! I'd been doing this for so long with the '91 RX-7. I mean lap after lap and barely clearing 1:36. I finally came on here and noticed others have been using the '02 Spirit. I borrowed pretty extensively from the Over the Hill tune. Gold medal first lap out.
Im struggling Myself with the type R while other are golding with bone stock spirit R. Guess Im going to have to buy spirit R.

Well...
I tried xZAMGMarmite's, Clueless's and JujiroMatsuda's tunes, but they did not work for me (too "tail happy" IMO).
I returned to my own tune (worth what it's worth) and I managed to improve my time a little bit: 1:31:808.
Currently 1045th on the leaderboard, but this will not last.

For those interested, here is the tune I used:

Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) '02
Weight reduction: Level 3
Carbon hood
Light glasses
Rear wing
Racing suspension
Custom gearbox
Racing brakes
Custom differential
Triple-plate clutch
Carbon shaft

Settings:
Suspension:
Ride height: 110 / 110
Damping: 6.46 / 7.45
Compression: 6 / 5
Extension: 5 / 6
Anti-roll bars: 4 / 4
Camber: 0 / 0
Toe: -0.05 / 0.10
Brakes: 7 / 5

Gearbox:
Top speed: 230 km/h
1st gear: 3,227
2nd gear: 2,283
3rd gear: 1,716
4th gear: 1,348
5th gear: 1,107
6th gear: 0,950
Final gear: 4,300

Differential:
Initial torque: -- / 10
Acceleration: -- / 30
Braking: -- / 20

Power limiting: 98.6%

Downforce: 0 / 15
Ballast: 0

The car is well balanced. It allows late braking, accelerates well and feels very stable. Not too "tail happy".

Feel free to try this and even change some of the parameters. And please give me your feedback, I really need to learn how to tune cars.
Now time to try the other events.

Edit: I removed my comment and realize you may have copied from the wrong tab.👍

Last edited:
Another 65 miles on the counter and with that, 3½ tenths dropped from my lap time.....now at 1:29.285 :D

Still having a fiddle with my tune for now, but may get something posted up sometime in the week. 👍

Down to 1'28.973 for 72nd place atm. Tune is now published, here is the link. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/resources/mazda-rx-7-spirit-r-type-a-fd-02.78/

Just a heads up and little reminder, all my tunes from this point forward are going to be made with my new GTEye brake mod installed. I believe this to be an important factor to note as my braking characteristics are going to be a bit different than they were before the mod. I am now able to brake more precisely than before and trail braking is going to be more of a factor than it was before. You may not even notice it in the tune, but I just thought it was worth bringing up just in case. Good luck everyone. Keep pushing and don't stop till you reach your goals. Stay fast my friends.

Mitch "CargoRatt"

That's an absolute flyer, Mitch. Enabled me to get into the 1:29s after only 20 laps or so. Coincidentally I just this afternoon installed my GTEYE brake spring. It's been sitting next to the PS3 for a couple of weeks waiting for me to get the time to fit it. Given the choice between having a drive and dismantling my pedals, the driving always seemed the more agreeable option, but I wish I'd done it sooner now. I'm loving it already. The only downside is that my seat is gradually moving backwards. You really have to push on that thing.

SpecialStageRoute5TT_zps99df893a.jpg

Mitch "CargoRatt"

Tried this out. Had one of these already but bought a new one, didn't change the oil, then matched everything as per the tune. Weight is the same, 11 KG at 50% etc. but I'm sitting at 79.2% power and 280 HP. I sure could use the extra HP! What am I missing? Engine stage 1 and WR stage 3 plus the isometric and c/c, wwr and carbon hood. All there. Any ideas?

Tried this out. Had one of these already but bought a new one, didn't change the oil, then matched everything as per the tune. Weight is the same, 11 KG at 50% etc. but I'm sitting at 79.2% power and 280 HP. I sure could use the extra HP! What am I missing? Engine stage 1 and WR stage 3 plus the isometric and c/c, wwr and carbon hood. All there. Any ideas?

Mine came out at 331HP. That's a lot of power to be missing. You're definitely at 500PP?

Mine came out at 331HP. That's a lot of power to be missing. You're definitely at 500PP?

Meeh I don`t understand CargoRatt`s tune either...My Spirit weighs 1150kg, and have 311hp at 500pp...This means that CargoRatt (and StirlingMoose) is 100kgs lighter than mine, and have 20hp more?? WHAT??? OK There are different things, I bought a flat floor and an aero trim, but it doesn`t say anything about that it will add pp`s...And other smaller diffences, I don`t have a wing, and I dot have engine stage... But still...100kg lighter and 20hp more is a MASSIVE difference???? Anyway I golded it, coming out with a 1.33.1xx.... Will try it again later, perhaps I can get under 1.33....Especially if I was given 20hp extra and 100kgs less....meeeh....:confused:

I use a Sixaxis controller....

That's an absolute flyer, Mitch. Enabled me to get into the 1:29s after only 20 laps or so. Coincidentally I just this afternoon installed my GTEYE brake spring. It's been sitting next to the PS3 for a couple of weeks waiting for me to get the time to fit it. Given the choice between having a drive and dismantling my pedals, the driving always seemed the more agreeable option, but I wish I'd done it sooner now. I'm loving it already. The only downside is that my seat is gradually moving backwards. You really have to push on that thing.

Thanks for the compliments on the tune and happy it helped you to improve, great job. 👍 As for the brake mod, I'm using a modified Playseat rig with my pedals reverse hard mounted, so the extra added pressure that is needed isn't an issue for me. And I'm already getting used to the extra effort that's needed with the spring. I'll have to upload a pic of my "office" (rig) :lol: so you guys can check it out, I'm pretty proud of it. It even comes complete with my pet rat I call "CJ" :lol: Its really just a rubber type rat that my daughter bought me as a gag gift so I sat him in front of my monitor. :odd: :lol: Anyways, good luck with future improvements. Peace. :cheers:

@waddy2001 Not sure what you could be doing wrong. Check to make sure you didn't install the flat floors as that turned out to be someone else's problem with trying to meet my specs a few weeks ago. Just go back at double check everything to make sure you installed the right add-ons. My specs are as follows:

PP - 500
HP - 331
Weight - 1050
Front/Rear Weight Dist. - 50/50
Max Torque - 283 ft.-lbs.
Power to Weight Ratio - 3.17 kg./HP

Added Parts
Engine Stage 1
Iso Exhaust Man.
Cat. Converter: Sports
Ballast - 11@50
Weight Reduction 3
Window Weight
Carbon Hood
Power Limiter @93.8%
Rear downforce - 100
No Oil change

If all else fails, buy a new car if you can and start from scratch. Hope you get it figure out. Let me know if you need any other help/advice. Good luck. :cheers:

Yes, for sure. Here is a photo of my settings, same for both cars:
View attachment 141149

Yea, your settings look quite different than mine for sure. :confused: Might sound obvious, but make sure you have the right car....and NO FLAT FLOOR. You don't need it and it adds unnecessary PP. Other than those things, I'm at a loss. :confused:

The only real answer I can come up with is you either inadvertently changed the oil, added the flat floor, or did an engine overhaul. It has to be one of those three things, unless its a glitch with the set-up sheets. I would just buy a new car and start from scratch if you can.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments on the tune and happy it helped you to improve, great job. 👍 As for the brake mod, I'm using a modified Playseat rig with my pedals reverse hard mounted, so the extra added pressure that is needed isn't an issue for me. And I'm already getting used to the extra effort that's needed with the spring. I'll have to upload a pic of my "office" (rig) :lol: so you guys can check it out, I'm pretty proud of it. It even comes complete with my pet rat I call "CJ" :lol: Its really just a rubber type rat that my daughter bought me as a gag gift so I sat him in front of my monitor. :odd: :lol: Anyways, good luck with future improvements. Peace. :cheers:

@waddy2001 Not sure what you could be doing wrong. Check to make sure you didn't install the flat floors as that turned out to be someone else's problem with trying to meet my specs a few weeks ago. Just go back at double check everything to make sure you installed the right add-ons. My specs are as follows:

PP - 500
HP - 331
Weight - 1050
Front/Rear Weight Dist. - 50/50
Max Torque - 283 ft.-lbs.
Power to Weight Ratio - 3.17 kg./HP

Added Parts
Engine Stage 1
Iso Exhaust Man.
Cat. Converter: Sports
Ballast - 11@50
Weight Reduction 3
Window Weight
Carbon Hood
Power Limiter @93.8%
Rear downforce - 100
No Oil change

If all else fails, buy a new car if you can and start from scratch. Hope you get it figure out. Let me know if you need any other help/advice. Good luck. :cheers:
I'm so out of the loop:crazy: Didn't realize there was another TT without SRF. I'll give this a go, perhaps later today and see how I do, although I'm not a fan of the track:eek:

Yea, your settings look quite different than mine for sure. :confused: Might sound obvious, but make sure you have the right car....and NO FLAT FLOOR. You don't need it and it adds unnecessary PP. Other than those things, I'm at a loss. :confused:
That's it! I added the floor to both cars but didn't look at the PP increase. That's a good lesson for me and for anyone else who reads this. Must be a heck of a PP jump. Thanks! Back to the dealership.

Edit: Got gold on the second lap. Yay! Thanks for the floor tip and the tune. :cheers:

Last edited:
That's it! I added the floor to both cars but didn't look at the PP increase. That's a good lesson for me and for anyone else who reads this. Must be a heck of a PP jump. Thanks! Back to the dealership. :banghead:

Anyone else is me...Don`t need to buy a new car, let`s just remove that FlatFloor...In a minute, as soon as I gather myself together and turn on my ps...

That's it! I added the floor to both cars but didn't look at the PP increase. That's a good lesson for me and for anyone else who reads this. Must be a heck of a PP jump. Thanks! Back to the dealership. :banghead:

Cool, glad you got it figured out. That was the same mistake someone else made with one of my tunes a few weeks ago. I hardly ever install flat floors. To me, the significant PP jump isn't worth the benefit.

@light driver I don't think you can remove it. The last time I checked, it was an irreversible mod.

Cool, glad you got it figured out. That was the same mistake someone else made with one of my tunes a few weeks ago. I hardly ever install flat floors. To me, the significant PP jump isn't worth the benefit.

@light driver I don't think you can remove it. The last time I checked, it was an irreversible mod.

OK no worries... I have 38mio Credits :lol:

You can remove it by selecting back to a standard flooring at the cost of 1,000Cr. Just as you can with all other External Parts.

Another short session here for me and I am down to 1:28.970, sorry @GTP_CargoRatt I have snatched your 74th position from you but I am sure you'll fix that soon enough. :P

EDIT: 28 not 29

Last edited:
You can remove it by selecting back to a standard flooring at the cost of 1,000Cr. Just as you can with all other External Parts.

Another short session here for me and I am down to 1:29.970, sorry @GTP_CargoRatt I have snatched your 74th position from you but I am sure you'll fix that soon enough. :P

Well now, looks like I'm going to have to get serious about this and stop my :cheers:ing around. :sly:

Seriously though, great job on the improvement. :cheers:

Back