Mazda VGT on Goodwood Statue

United States
Indiana
DSkywalker01
CIR1LhnWcAAnHL7.jpg:large

Hmmmmmmm...

Not much there; it was more or less a given that when Goodwood prepared the new Mazda sculpture GT6 would probably be involved in it. Now, it's obvious that it will happen, and that the Goodwood ingame will get its very first sculpture with a VGT car...

It's very possible they could use it as a baseline design and then work it into the actual rules package whenever they're ready to join the pack.

It's very possible they could use it as a baseline design and then work it into the actual rules package whenever they're ready to join the pack.

Could be. Only a few things need to be changed in order to make the LM55 compatible with the regulations, and it would also be a way of promoting the Skyactive namesake. If Ford is pushing the Ecoboost...

Impressive @DSkywalker01

I'm going on Saturday so will be taking lots of photos of it!! :D

In the meantime, I feel the need to drive that Mazda VGT up the hillclimb RIGHT NOW! :lol:

Probably too late now, but is anyone else from the forum going to Goodwood on Saturday? I kept intending to suggest a GTPlanet members meet up somewhere on the day. e.g. about lunchtime 1pm, or 5pm at the food area, but forgot to post something on here.

Last edited:
There were rumors of Mazda being interested in lmp1 during the LM weekend, but no announement came. I wonder if there is any more to this statue than we know?
I was told what the sculpture would be a little while back. It was "two cars - one obvious and one that no-one has ever seen before". I countered with "Mazda's 2016 LMP1 contender?" and got only noiseless foreheadery...

It's worth noting that the second car, in the only press release I've seen talking about it, isn't referred to as a Vision GT car, rather the "LM55 GT1 Concept"...

I was told what the sculpture would be a little while back. It was "two cars - one obvious and one that no-one has ever seen before". I countered with "Mazda's 2016 LMP1 contender?" and got only noiseless foreheadery...

It's worth noting that the second car, in the only press release I've seen talking about it, isn't referred to as a Vision GT car, rather the "LM55 GT1 Concept"...

"GT1"? That's an odd naming convention for an LMP-type concept car. And it is also odd that the Vision GT name is omitted in that press release, as one would expect to see that name mentioned next to the LM55 namesake (it is the project that led to its creation after all). It could also be some sort of typo, but I doubt that is the case. So there must be something more to this, it seems...

It was "two cars - one obvious and one that no-one has ever seen before".
I should add to my own comment at that point that my two guesses for the obvious car were 787B and MX-5 - but I didn't know which it would be until I saw the picture up there. And I don't even know where that's come from :lol:

Slightly off-topic, but I think it would be awesome to see the rest of the Mazda 7-series prototypes there, such as the 717C, 727C, 737C, and so on. Usually when people think of Mazda race cars, it's the 787B that gets brought up first, when in actuality it's the result of a decade of constant refinement. Seeing some of that heritage would be really cool.

Slightly off-topic, but I think it would be awesome to see the rest of the Mazda 7-series prototypes there, such as the 717C, 727C, 737C, and so on. Usually when people think of Mazda race cars, it's the 787B that gets brought up first, when in actuality it's the result of a decade of constant refinement. Seeing some of that heritage would be really cool.
You'll see it driving up the hill.

The car on the statue looks pretty much identical to the LM55 first released in December.

The car on the statue looks pretty much identical to the LM55 first released in December.

I think some manufacturers have just had fun and have their young (Balkan?) designers go wild with PD's Vision GT concept i.e. Alpine, Chaparral, Aston et al.

While some manufacturers have actually re-appropriated their own actual concepts. Toyota for sure.

So I can imagine that the Mazda LM55 (Mazda's initial foray concept to re-enter LM racing) had already been on the drawing board when Kaz came a calling, they just added the Vision part to the name.

Now they've gone back to the original name of the concept, free of GT association and maybe hint they mean business. It is the same car.

Last edited:
Back