Mazda VGT on Goodwood Statue

Few photos from twitter and instagram

CIQkUC-WsAASFc3.jpg

11378266_1659221967629679_989170167_n.jpg

11410458_1866079163617986_591912759_n.jpg

11357463_1654059228159707_39363469_n.jpg

Last edited:
For lack of a better place to post about it, I find it interesting this is the year that Mazda was to be showcased. Especially with the 787B and future Le Mans concept, you'd think it'd be next year. Which marks a quarter century since Mazda, or more-so, Japan has won at Le Mans.

Is it just me or does the rear wing on the LM55 lean forward? Don't remember that on the car originally, though it could be just the perspective of the angle.

Anyway, I'm off to GWFOS right now (5hr drive, so an overnight stay for tomorrow). If anyone happens by me on Friday, please say hello - I'll largely be around all of it and probably wearing a GTP T-shirt and cap, clutching a Canon EOS350 without a lens cap.

Have a safe journey and a great time tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm not there till Saturday otherwise I'd be sure to say Hello :)

If anyone sees a weirdo in a "roads, where we're going we don't need roads" tshirt on Saturday, that will be me :lol:

Mazda's own press release though says it is the VGT.

So do Goodwood themselves...:

https://grrc.goodwood.com/festival-of-speed/latest/mazdas-fos-central-feature-revealled

Love how they misspelt revealled in the webpage title :lol:

"One is the now-iconic form of the Mazda 787B, the screaming rotary-engined, make-your-ears-bleed hero of La Sarthe in 1991 and the first, and only, Japanese car ever to win Le Mans. Don’t believe us when we say it’s noisy? Check out our video here.

The other is a modern day homage to the Le Mans winner in the form of the Mazda LM55, a digital vision, designed for the GranTurismo 6 game, made real. And a complete stunner – for many people the best looker of the whole Vision Gran Turismo series.

And the sculpture itself? At first sight it’s a giant Jenga game, hundreds (actually 418) white bars piled into a tower that twists and and turns as it rises skywards.

It looks simple. But closer inspection reveals a far more complex shape, full of tension as the criss-crossing bars combine in an elegant twisting form whose obvious strength defies its elegant lightness and delicacy.

In these things the sculpture is the essence of Kodo Design, Mazda’s successful ‘Soul of Motion’ ethos that shapes all the road cars, most recently with the equally strong yet delicate new Mazda MX-5 roadster (which incidentally will also be on show at FoS and which you can read about here)."

So, do we agree with Goodwood - do you think this is the best looker of the Vision Gran Turismo series (so far)?

CIR1LhnWcAAnHL7.jpg:large

Hmmmmmmm...
Love, hope, speed, beauty, Mazda. Easily my favorite sculpture so far. (Atleast until Chevy gets one) It makes me wanna take out a Mazda and rip a massive burnout in it.

PS. Please tell me this thing will go into an art museum after the festival!

Back