McLaren Speedtail Hits 250mph With Ease During Cape Canaveral Test Sessions

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 278 comments
Nice.
I believe these are configs from Speedtail's car configurator, which us mere mortals cant access, right?

Most likely not since they're all sold out. The 3 different configurations are part of McLaren's design collection.
McLaren has pre-sold all copies of the Speedtail, but customers still need to personalize their individual sports cars. To gives them some ideas, McLaren has created three design collections.

The first, titled "Urbane," gives the McLaren Speedtail a gloss 1K carbon fiber exterior finish with brushed light blue anodized aluminum brightwork. Platinum badging with carbon inlays can also be found. Inside, there is a light blue driver seat and light grey passenger seats, complemented by navy stitching and more brushed aluminum.

"Visionary" was inspired by the U.K. 's nautical heritage, although it may not seem that way at first glance. If features a bright orange exterior accented by a silver pinstripe, as well as gloss 1K carbon fiber finish and 18 carat white gold badging with carbon inlay. The interior has navy seats finished in nubuck leather for the passengers and full aniline leather for the driver.

The third collection is called "Dynamic," and it features a red exterior. It also gets gloss black diamond cut wheels with light copper edging and silver brake calipers. The cabin gets a full aniline red leather central driver's seat and white seats in semi-aniline leather, and carbon quartz white accents can be seen on the steering wheel, paddle shifters, and window and door bezel surround.

Most definitely better in red, mostly for that contrast middle seat - as it should be.

To be honest I'm so much more interested in the Senna. The Speedtail seems like it'll be heavy, and without a wing I think the handling will suffer. Doesn't really remind me of a McLaren F1 while the Senna does despite the driver layout.

To be honest I'm so much more interested in the Senna. The Speedtail seems like it'll be heavy, and without a wing I think the handling will suffer. Doesn't really remind me of a McLaren F1 while the Senna does despite the driver layout.

The Speedtail is nearly 600kg lighter than a Chiron and is on par with the Koenigsegg Regera at just over 1,400kg. It isn't a heavyweight in any sense when compared to its rivals.

Plus the rear flexi-flaps will help provide adequate downforce when cornering without the need for a massive ugly wing.
0886e27b-mclaren-speedtail-1.jpg

Mclaren know exactly what they're doing.

I partially agree with this, as Senna only reminds me of the LM range of F1s. F1 is a surprisingly decent daily driver for the officially fastest naturally aspirated road car. Senna seems a bit too stripped down to qualify as such. Also, from what I remember, F1's handling was rather inferior to the likes of Ferrari F40.
Speedtail doesn't remind me of the F1 either. As I said before, it seems to be more similar to the F1 GT road car, both in terms of shape and lack of luggage compartments behind doors. Except that none of F1s had any remotely similar focus on luxuries Speedtail has.

The Speedtail is nearly 600kg lighter than a Chiron and is on par with the Koenigsegg Regera at just over 1,400kg. It isn't a heavyweight in any sense when compared to its rivals.

Plus the rear flexi-flaps will help provide adequate downforce when cornering without the need for a massive ugly wing.
0886e27b-mclaren-speedtail-1.jpg

Mclaren know exactly what they're doing.

Its rivals are exactly the problem I have with it. When you think of the Chiron, or Regera, you don't think McLaren F1 do you? I sure as hell wouldn't. Other than pure top speed they have almost nothing in common. So the fact you put the speedtail in the same class as them says it all to me when it's supposed to be a successor to the F1.

And you're right. It's very light compared to those, and many other modern sports cars, but it's also very heavy compared to the F1. Most supercars are heavier of course, even in the F1's time. Even the Senna which is one of the lightest supercars we've had in a long time, yet it's still about 60kg heavier.

I'm not saying the speedtail is a bad car, or a disgrace to the F1 by merely comparing itself to it. I'm just saying one of the most impressive and notable features of the F1 was its extremely low weight for a supercar of its time, while the Speedtail is pretty much low average weight for a modern supercar.

I think the ultra low weight is nearly as essential to the F1's identity as its top speed and center driving position and the Speedtail is still missing the ultra low weight bit although it is a lot lighter than expected, so it's a better successor than I first thought.

But considering you would use a term like "massive ugly wing", I can tell we'll never agree on cars.

Last edited:
If they had released one of the styles from the car configuration when they unveiled it, I reckon initial comments on it's looks would've been more favourable.

I'm not saying the speedtail is a bad car, or a disgrace to the F1 by merely comparing itself to it. I'm just saying one of the most impressive and notable features of the F1 was its extremely low weight for a supercar of its time, while the Speedtail is pretty much low average weight for a modern supercar.

I think the ultra low weight is nearly as essential to the F1's identity as its top speed and center driving position and the Speedtail is still missing the ultra low weight bit although it is a lot lighter than expected, so it's a better successor than I first thought.
Speedtail - 3,153lb.
Regera - 3,510lb.
Chiron - 4,400lb.
Senna - 3,030lb.

F1 - 2,509lb.
Diablo - 3,053lb. (at its lightest)
XJ220 - 3,240lb.
F50 - 3,080lb.

The F1 was 544lbs. lighter than its closest competitors. The Speedtail is 357lbs. lighter than its closest competitors, but surprisingly, only 123lbs. more than the track-focused Senna. Another thing to remember is the F1 took the utmost drastic measures to save weight because Murray wanted the car originally at 2,205lb. dry. The car was the first carbon-fiber chassis for a reason. The stereo unit in the car had to be halved by a Kenwood for Murray to accept it. While the Speedtail's engineers likely did what they could to keep the car light, it likely wasn't as drastic as Murray did with the F1.

When you think of the Chiron, or Regera, you don't think McLaren F1 do you?
Honestly, if there'd be equivalents of Chiron and Regera in the 90's, F1 would be their direct competitor. It's just that Gordon Murray had more concern over F1's weight than modern day McLaren had over Speedtail's.
Sure, F1 is by no means luxurious. But from what I know, it was decently comfy and even had some practicality ambitions (the aforementioned luggage compartments). For 90's supercars' standards, which were well known for being rather barebones, that was a luxury.

but it's also very heavy compared to the F1
Fun fact: the vast majority of modern sports cars are heavier than their predecessors, mostly thanks to many, many regulations cars have to meet nowadays, which are getting more and more strict every year or so.

I think the ultra low weight is nearly as essential to the F1's identity as its top speed and center driving position
For me, one of key features of F1's identity is how it was designed to be a perfect, truly no-compromise all-around vehicle. And by "truly no-compromise" I mean that it didn't go barebones like Senna or Aston Martin Valkyrie for the sake of performance. It aimed to be as best as it could at both performance and comfort. At the same time. And, thanks to many untrivial design/engineering decisions, it managed to do that.
Just from what I can remember:
- the now-legendary three-seater 1+2 configuration, which offers great visibility, balanced weight distribution, a place for one more passenger and no LHD-RHD adaptation hassle
- the aforementioned luggage compartments, which, while not really necessary, occupy the space that would otherwise be unused
- exhaust compartment covered in gold foil, as gold was the best material at heat dissipation McLaren could put in there
- stereo audio system with the magnetic metal Pioneer literally invented for the use in this exact stereo
- two fans in the underbody which serve the purpose of both cooling and downforce generation, as McLaren didn't want no rear wing on the car out of air drag concerns
- compact dimensions for practical purposes such as parking, which led to the muffler being bloated to be the only possible rear crumple zone option
- rear section of the chassis mounts to the tub on flexible bearings, so the car would behave more compliantly during normal road usage, while being stiff enough to offer superb handling
Of course McLaren could just strip it down as much as they could instead*, like in case with Senna, and call it a day. But they had Murray on board, and he decided to be the absolute madman.
(*I mean, I know that there's an F1 LM, which is essentially a stripped down F1 that's definitely superior to the base F1 performance-wise, but the title of "the F1" still belongs to the base model; not to mention that, frankly speaking, the entire racing program of the McLaren F1 was an afterthought ignited by one of McLaren's customers, namely Ray Bellm)

If they had released one of the styles from the car configuration when they unveiled it, I reckon initial comments on it's looks would've been more favourable.
Not in my case. I still like the pale blue one the most.

Last edited:
Ah, god bless the F1. In 1993 I recall being absolutely rapt by it on Top Gear and in 2003 I finally saw one at the Park Lane showroom.

I don't have that connection with supercars often and I'm not sure I would have that with this new one.

I am sorely disappointed with the Speedtail. I mean, I like it, but it wasn't even close to what it could have been. There was way too much hype for that car, and it doesn't look like a hypercar. It's not menacing enough. I personally don't like too many edges, but they could have at least done a bit more. Aside from all that, The car looks good in the McLaren Orange

it doesn't look like a hypercar. It's not menacing enough.
Hypercars don't have to look menacing. Look at Porsche 918, for example. It's a brilliant hypercar of its time, but its design is giving off friendly, happy vibes, like a doggo that's happy to see its loving owner. Or, if to go to extremes, look at McLaren P1. Its front fascia is basically the automotive design equivalent of "
zEL5aIw.png
" emoji.
As I said before, I love Speedtail's sleek, elegant design, but that's my personal opinion and i don't think that this is how hypercars should look like. I believe that's up to people who design them to decide.

By the way, just out of curiosity,
but it wasn't even close to what it could have been
What it could have been instead? I can agree that it could be faster in the top speed department, but that's about it. And, considering how high top speeds are useless if it takes quite a while to reach them, it's a very minor qualm.

Last edited:
Looking back at it
Hypercars don't have to look menacing. Look at Porsche 918, for example. It's a brilliant hypercar of its time, but its design is giving off friendly, happy vibes, like a doggo that's happy to see its loving owner. Or, if to go to extremes, look at McLaren P1. Its front fascia is basically the automotive design equivalent of "
zEL5aIw.png
" emoji.
As I said before, I love Speedtail's sleek, elegant design, but that's my personal opinion and i don't think that this is how hypercars should look like. I believe that's up to people who design them to decide.

By the way, just out of curiosity,

What it could have been instead? I can agree that it could be faster in the top speed department, but that's about it. And, considering how high top speeds are useless if it takes quite a while to reach them, it's a very minor qualm.

Looking back at it, I meant to say that it was good, but it could have been much better. If that helps

Looking back at it, I meant to say that it was good, but it could have been much better. If that helps
It's okay, although I still wonder on what it could be improved upon.
Personally, from the point of view of the car being a homage towards F1, I believe it could be shorter, could've had luggage spaces like in the F1. I'm not sure if McL engineers could've squeezed more out of it.

I understand that a hypercar doesn't need to look too menacing, but I feel like They made it TOO simple. Of course, to get the speed and performance they wanted, that was probably the best approach.

This is what they made
mclaren-speedtail-07.jpg

This is an artist's rendering that I 100% did not make. I think this could have been a better fit. Simple, but not too simple. it's got a grille, a bit more edges, and it doesn't have those terrible wheel covers. But I'm definitely going to see more and wait for some time before I decide whether or not I like the car.
future-supercars-and-sports-cars.jpg

But I'm definitely going to see more and wait for some time before I decide whether or not I like the car.

Yeah it's a got a real weird look to it..I dont know what McLaren is thinking lately, their cars might perform good but they are making some butt ugly models.

The more I look at this car the more I love it. Help.
Honestly, the only thing I'd want to change is, contrary to the opinion above, is to make the front fascia in general and headlights specifically less P1-ish (that's probably due to how I dislike P1's design). And, maybe, make front and rear wheels look kinda more "matching" (perhaps make front rim covers transparent?). Other than that, I bow down to its design. Absolute brilliance.

I like the styling of this car. A lot more than I do with that of the Senna. 👍

I have this feeling that car manufacturers tend to make their car designs in the GT category more conservative than they do in the hypercar/supercar one because of the potential customer base’s preferences for tamed styling. I’m saying this because this is the case with Aston Martin, Ferrari and McLaren. I like the styling of the DB11 more than the Valkyrie, the Portofino more than the LaFerrari, and now the Speedtail more than the Senna, and it struck me just now that the preferred 3 belong to (or fit more in line with, in the case of the Speedtail) the GT category. So it’s either the customers’ tastes or the additional aerodynamic benefits exploitable if you sacrifice a bit of form.

If this pattern is true, then I like the direction GT cars are going in. Hypercars? Less so, although there are exceptions.

I really like that side view. But I think it could be better if they either went with wheel covers on all 4 wheels, or none at all. Looks kind of odd with the half & half approach.

I actually adore this thing. Its so off kilter, confident and elegant to my eyes. Arghh every time I look at it I like it more.

Back