Megane GR4

I fully agree with your line of reasoning where you are dealing with a race series where one brand has the advantage here and another brand has the advantage there and over the season racing predetermined circuits it sort of evens out.

I also agree different cars have different strengths and weaknesses in different parts of a circuit and that is the way it should be in multi make races, race to your strengths, defend to your weaknesses.

But in a game where the races are all individual making the overall lap times very similar across all makes within a class and all circuits should be a priority as to make all players have equal ability to race ANY brand of car with a similar chance of OVERALL success regardless of the circuit or brand of car picked within a class.

Sure car A may have more corner speed, car B may be stronger down the straight and car C may be able to pull off later braking better, all different but all should still turn a similar total lap time within the game for better parity across the board and everybody to be able to race what they prefer with no obvious advantage or disadvantage in the chance they have to win because of their choice.

We did not buy the Porsche Cup or Ferrari Challenge, then I would expect obvious advantages. What we did buy was a driving game that supposedly matches cars by class and performance and with even further Balance of Power restrictions applied I do personally think that no brand should be given clear advantages.

I think that we need to give PD until the real FIA races start. If they haven't tuned BOP well enough by then, then I agree something is wrong.

However, I think that given the manufacturer racing will be a series, it's fine if some manufacturers cars do better on certain tracks than other (to a certain extent, like within a second on interlagos, slightly more for longer circuits), as long as they balance the circuits we're racing in the manufacturer series well enough that there is ample chance for each "type" of car to win.

However, if all of the circuits they choose for the FIA manufacturer races (not test season) happen to favour a certain manufacturers GR.4 car (because let's face is GR.4 is the hardest to balance, whereas GR.3 is relatively easy) then that will be a problem.

As it stands right now, there are a handful of relatively even "S tier" GR.3 cars, and then a bunch that are right behind the "S tier" in "A tier" with relatively few cars being noncompetitive.
Gr.4 is a jumbled mess with basically 2 cars in the "S tier" 3-4 cars in the "A tier" and the rest mostly jumbled around in B,C,D - which doesn't give the drivers enough variety because most of the cars are noncompetitive with the Megane or the Scirroco.

Actually with the current Sport races other than one make races where all performance is the same you are only dealing with BoP for 2 classes of cars GR4 and Gr3 so it should not be difficult to adjust BoP daily on each track using lap time data for the cars gathered from across the regions and racing rankings and making adjustments based off of number of times a car was used and had among the fastest of average lap times percentage wise compared to the other cars within the class.

BoP needs to be applied with different values for every circuit it is applied on as balance should be equal on all circuits in one off races regardless of car chosen within class. Once balance is achieved at all circuits within a class unless a physics change is implemented or new cars are introduced within the class then BoP should remain stable and not need constant tweaking.

The current system of allowing OP cars to dominate within a class for up to several weeks is just not acceptable and over the long haul could be a game killer.

Good point, that it could/should be per track. Apart from Manufacturer's series, we might otherwise just have different tracks ending up as different one-makes. But TBH, even if they were balanced using all tracks, I don't think it would be as bad as the current situation, anywhere - I'd like to see that tried first, at least. It's sad because before 1.06 it seemed like just a little tweak to Gr4 was all that was needed.

Might be worth resurrecting dynamic bop solution, maybe that one arguer will stay quiet ;)

I was at Interlagos today for first time in a month in a daily. Thought Id try this Megane as an experiment and run with the pack. This was my whole race basically. Couldn't shake this guy, whenever he cheated I caught up soon, passed him and got got punted off again, so we could never get close to leaders. His whole race was against just me I think.

and making every car even on every circuit is ridiculous and not realistic at all.

Actually the WEC started doing that for the GTE cars this year using an FIA/ACO algorithm to automatically determine the weight and power adjustments without human involvement.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/wec-sets-up-automatic-balance-of-performance-for-gte-889741/

PD has a partnership with the FIA and more data than any real world racing series could ever hope to have. There's no excuse for not having better BOP. In an ideal world it would be automated and updated daily. One make races could always be added to fill data needs on less popular cars. Gr.3 isn't too bad, but Gr.4 needs major adjustment.

I've been driving the TT for a week or so, and I generally like the way it drives for an FF. I just tried the Megane for the first time in today's Interlagos race. My optimal lap time was a 1:37:8xx, but I couldn't run consistent laps and my actual best lap was only a 1:38.9xx. I really didn't like this car after coming from the TT. I didn't bother to enter any races with the Megane, so I went back to my TT. I ran a 1:38.215 in qualifying and got 2 poles and 2 wins in the 5 races I did. I haven't tried the Scirocco, but hopefully a BOP adjustment is coming soon, and I can get back to driving my Gr.4 Corvette.

My one off daily experiment working for the Dark Side has nearly ended, phew. Managed to get SR down to A finally YES! Woohoo time to get hands dirty now.

Here's a typical Megane **** sandwich. Me in the middle.

One lone Corvette.... but at least it's at the top. 👍

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20171212122351.jpg

Actually the WEC started doing that for the GTE cars this year using an FIA/ACO algorithm to automatically determine the weight and power adjustments without human involvement.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/wec-sets-up-automatic-balance-of-performance-for-gte-889741/

PD has a partnership with the FIA and more data than any real world racing series could ever hope to have. There's no excuse for not having better BOP. In an ideal world it would be automated and updated daily. One make races could always be added to fill data needs on less popular cars. Gr.3 isn't too bad, but Gr.4 needs major adjustment.

I've been driving the TT for a week or so, and I generally like the way it drives for an FF. I just tried the Megane for the first time in today's Interlagos race. My optimal lap time was a 1:37:8xx, but I couldn't run consistent laps and my actual best lap was only a 1:38.9xx. I really didn't like this car after coming from the TT. I didn't bother to enter any races with the Megane, so I went back to my TT. I ran a 1:38.215 in qualifying and got 2 poles and 2 wins in the 5 races I did. I haven't tried the Scirocco, but hopefully a BOP adjustment is coming soon, and I can get back to driving my Gr.4 Corvette.

The fastest time on Interlagos daily race leaderboards was done by a very fast Japanese driver in the Corvette Gr.4 (whereas the other 9 where meganes). Towards the end of the sport daily period, someone in a Megane only managed to beat that time by about a tenth. I think based on that the Corvette definitely has the pace.

One lone Corvette.... but at least it's at the top. 👍

View attachment 698879

Didn't see this before I posted my comment. That was a great lap!

Last edited by a moderator:
My "dynamic" bop idea seems to be the best fix. Any car that is winning too much will get nerfed according to its lap times. Because winning too much = its easier to drive . ;)

It's a shame. I didn't want to try the megane, but I was always qualifying around 8th-10th, with a grid full of méganes in front of me. I could do nothing during the races. They ended up like 7 seconds ahead, whatever the circuit was. So I finally tried it. First Q lap, I was 2 ****ing seconds faster than my last time. Did get the pole, won the race. I won't use it anymore, and I hope PD will fix this soon, because I'm stucked at DR "D-C" for not using a mégane and it's starting to be boring.

Didn't knew this about the megane after 1.06...since it is/was the car I've always used in Gr4 races.
Before that people (me included) complained about the lack of grip in FF cars under acceleration....now it's overpowered, but people shouldn't be all angry about FF cars.
Back in the days in rally, the class below WRC which were 4WD, on tarmac they were completely killed by FF cars in the F2 class, like Citroen XSara Kit Car, Megane Maxi and Peugeot 306 Maxi.

This would indicate that there's nothing wrong with the BOP and that we all need to learn how to drive.

I've beaten Megane's and Scirocco's at Suzuka in the Vette... it's not easy as they are so much quicker on the straights, but if you get in front you can use superior cornering and exit speed to get enough of a gap to hold them off in to the next corner. You do need to defend the inside line - As long as they are on the outside it compromises their ability to get a good exit - never let them get on the inside of you or when they jump on the gas they understeer wide and push you off.

Key is getting a perfect exit from every corner and making zero mistakes.

I've beaten Megane's and Scirocco's at Suzuka in the Vette... it's not easy as they are so much quicker on the straights, but if you get in front you can use superior cornering and exit speed to get enough of a gap to hold them off in to the next corner. You do need to defend the inside line - As long as they are on the outside it compromises their ability to get a good exit - never let them get on the inside of you or when they jump on the gas they understeer wide and push you off.

Key is getting a perfect exit from every corner and making zero mistakes.

Yes but it's not that easy. If you watch a mégane replay, you can see they make mistakes and even though they will catch you on the straights. And you can handle that with one of them, defending the line and so, but when +half of the grid are méganes.. you're done. Sooner or later you will lose the position, and then it comes another mégane behind you. Just look at most of the dailies grids: the first 10 cars are méganes/siroccos (with some random balls-of-steel guy), the other 10 are random manufacturers or people that wants to drive the cars they love, as I do. But then you'll never promote to a higher DR.

Yes but it's not that easy. If you watch a mégane replay, you can see they make mistakes and even though they will catch you on the straights. And you can handle that with one of them, defending the line and so, but when +half of the grid are méganes.. you're done. Sooner or later you will lose the position, and then it comes another mégane behind you. Just look at most of the dailies grids: the first 10 cars are méganes/siroccos (with some random balls-of-steel guy), the other 10 are random manufacturers or people that wants to drive the cars they love, as I do. But then you'll never promote to a higher DR.

In the race I remember well (replay saved in my gallery for anyone who wants to watch it), I started 2nd on the grid and was one of only 2 or 3 non FWD cars in the race. I took the lead from the 1st placed Megane beginning of lap 2 and had 2 Scirocco's on me for the last few laps, but they were clean, and I held them off.

It's not easy, and they are pretty much impossible to pass in a RWD unless they make a mistake as you can't get close to them in the braking zones.

Good challenge though, and very rewarding when you win :)

My GR4 at 'lagos was interesting last night. My car of choice has been the TT. Pound for pound it can't match megane. But all is not lost. 1:39 last minute qualifying only got me avg 16 -17 on grids of 20 with at least 15 meganes in all races. I found that all I needed to do was hang on to the tail of one of those suckers , without trying to over take unless they made a gross mistake. If they screwed up big and I slid by I just needed to grab the tail of the next guy and get a gap going, if I got caught out alone and he caught up I would let him by without a fight and grab his tail eventually catching up to the next guys. If he made a simple mistake that wasn't worth the effort I would just stay tucked in behind. I can't win a dog fight and it would just slow us both down. Race after race I was able to secure top 10 finish. The strategy just depended on me being perfect and everyone else not so much. The thing about the bandwagoners is that they overdrive the car because they expect to win or be competitive, or feel pressured to do so. Often they still don't have the ability to hang with the front half of the field so the mistakes come, having that pesky non magane in the mirror surely rattles as well.

This exercise gave a bump in DR and provided a nice little challenge without being forced to lemmings status. Meganes are the new boss battle. Feels good when you beat them, albeit not winning.

In my Gr4 race at Interlagos yesterday a Viper managed to qualify 2nd. I said "wow I'll be seeing that guy get crushed in the first corner by the 6 meganes around him when I check the replay." Turns out thats exactly what happened and after the last hairpin on the 2nd lap he got pitted by a GTR and they both spun. Never saw him again.

I just drive the NSX, dont care about winning and losing. I just sit back and enjoy the other try hards crashing into each other while I try to stay out of harms way.

Back