Menu Book 42

After many failed attempts at Suzuka, I got a round where the conditions were complete carnage. Massive rain already on lap two and I managed to crawl in to change to wets before lap three, and also started a nice gap on the AI who was out another lap on slicks. A couple of laps later it dried up amazingly quickly, and I changed back to racing mediums and increased my gap before AI also got back on slicks. To my surprise yet another torrential rainstorm appeared and this time I didn't realise it until I had passed the pits, so I crawling around for a lap thinking I would lose it again. Luckily the AI must have done the same because they didnt catch up. Got back on wets and cruised home to a massive victory, even if my driving throughout the race was terrible, ended up in both the grass and the gravel several times.

Shows that this race is much about luck with the rain and what the AI decides to do. Maybe AI is smarter on Hard difficulty? I'm a Normal purist myself :D

View attachment 1156284
I've yet to tackle this menu book but I'm looking forward to it, frustration and all, unpredictability and all. I would love to have a race like the one you describe because my dream racing game involves chaos and pit stops with MULTIPLE tires changes

Did all three races with a stock Gr010.

Suzuka. Had the lead by lap 4. Got a three second pit exit penalty on the last lap that dropped me to third on the back straight. 3rd

St Croix. I've never driven this track before. First attempt 6th. I'd started on 6 fuel to go none stop but it looked like I could get the win so fuel 1. I ran out of fuel with three corners to go. Second attempt fuel stayed 6 all the way. Easy none stop. Got within 6 seconds of the leader twice and twice I let it go. 2nd

Daytona. Ran fuel 6 but needed a pitstop. Didn't matter, easy win. Lapping for fun in the end.
Side note: Have you compared the GR010 to the TS050? I'm thinking about buying the GR010. I already have the TS050 and used it to win the other Gr1 races (Daytona and St. Croix).

Had a few goes - can get to 1st by lap 5 and hold out until lap 6 before needing fuel using the L750R Peugeot Hybrid.

In my experience:

Seems to me like if you use RH, it will rain usually at the end of Lap 4 to force a pitstop because no one has pit at this stage but most cars that matter in the outcome will be preparing to come in.

If you use RM it wont rain - it starts to look ominously grey and there is big rain on the forecast but it doesn't come over the circuit, probably because, by that stage, all cars (that matter in the outcome) have pitted once to their preferred tyre and going back in for wets sets up an easy victory for the player.

Last edited:
Had a few goes - can get to 1st by lap 5 and hold out until lap 6 before needing fuel using the L750R Peugeot Hybrid.

In my experience:

Seems to me like if you use RH, it will rain usually at the end of Lap 4 to force a pitstop because no one has pit at this stage but most cars that matter in the outcome will be preparing to come in.

If you use RM it wont rain - it starts to look ominously grey and there is big rain on the forecast but it doesn't come over the circuit, probably because, by that stage, all cars (that matter in the outcome) have pitted once to their preferred tyre and going back in for wets sets up an easy victory for the player.
In 100% dry conditions what kind of total race times are the top AI getting for you at Suzuka? On the hard setting I was seeing consistent 17:55-18:00 but when I switched to a Praiano tuned L750R and ran faster the AI started suddenly running 17:45 consistently and even once 17:34. With the L750R my best total race time is just under 17:45 [on mediums with one pit stop]. The leaders on hard tires and no pit strategy are out front by a lot after the pit and I'm catching consistently, but barely fast enough to catch/pass them on final lap if all goes fairly well passing traffic. Before switching to car I'd run 17:55 and usually win by a few seconds. Rubber-banding from the front?

Last edited:
In 100% dry conditions what kind of total race times are the top AI getting for you at Suzuka? On the hard setting I was seeing consistent 17:55-18:00 but when I switched to a Praiano tuned L750R and ran faster the AI started suddenly running 17:45 consistently and even once 17:34. With the L750R my best total race time is just under 17:45 [on mediums with one pit stop]. The leaders on hard tires and no pit strategy are out front by a lot after the pit and I'm catching consistently, but barely fast enough to catch/pass them on final lap if all goes fairly well passing traffic. Before switching to car I'd run 17:55 and usually win by a few seconds. Rubber-banding from the front?

The game is broken. Race time was 18:21:XXX on normal difficulty.

I could have gone a bit faster but I've discovered a bit of a trick with the AI so in the esses instead of being on the power in 2nd gear, I took them at a similar speed in 3rd. In fact most turns except the hairpin were taken in a less than optimal gear. I still hammered the straights and sections between corners.

I genuinely believe I can do it on RMs using the approach above. I'd have to treat it as 2 x 5 lap races, aiming to get to first at the end of each 5 lap stint rather than pitting at the end of the 6th which I had been doing, thinking I was opening a gap up (I wasn't, I was simply hamstrings myself of a lap to re-chase the leader after pitting).

That's my thinking. As per the linked post I've included above - the faster I (or you are clearly) driving, the more the AI cheats.

It's not ideal...but 17:45:XXX is insane to compete against, that too with a pitstop.

Last edited:
The game is broken. Race time was 18:21:XXX on normal difficulty.

I could have gone faster but I've discovered a bit of a trick with the AI so in the esses instead of being on the power in 2nd gear, I took them at a similar speed in 3rd. In fact most turns except the hairpin were taken in a less than optimal gear. I still hammered the straights and sections between corners.

I genuinely believe I can do it on RMs using the approach above. I'd have to treat it as 2 x 5 lap races, aiming to get to first at the end of each 5 lap stint.

That's my thinking. As per the linked post I've included above - the faster I (or you are clearly) driving, the more the AI cheats.

It's not ideal...but 17:45:XXX is insane with a pitstop.
Treating race as two 5 lap races is pretty much on the money with mediums. When I come out in first place I pit from first after lap 5 and hope to pass the leading AI on lap 10.

The gearing used in the S's is obviously related to gear box setup, but if you have the option between two gears I think the longer is better approach as you said... except at times for turn 6 where you need to get way back to the right before the crucial Dunlop Curve. On fresh tires I often take the bigger gear for turn 6 (in this case gear 3), but as tires wear I'll shift down to 2nd to help scrub speed and set up the next corner.

Spoon is similar.. if you can enter in the "bigger" gear you can carry more speed as you approach 14 and worth braking a little early to achieve proper entry angle. For turn 14 if you nail it the bigger gear is better, but if you go wide at all the lower gear can help collect the car and save the exit.

PS> I wonder with a hybrid that recharges under braking if that changes anything... you are almost better to use a gear that requires braking rather than try the smoother gas/coast approach [in the lower gear] that can be so fast on the S curves. I honestly don't know all the in's and out's of the hybrid systems in GT7 so no clue, but curious.

there's some sort of stupid lazy rubberbanding in the AI related to what gear you're in. The different gearing of the two cars makes the AI faster or slower as a result. So dumb.

there's some sort of stupid lazy rubberbanding in the AI related to what gear you're in. The different gearing of the two cars makes the AI faster or slower as a result. So dumb.
Ah so that's what sanzi was talking about...not so much what's ideal for lap time, but what impact gear has on AI. wow that's messed up if true. lol.

Treating race as two 5 lap races is pretty much on the money with mediums. When I come out in first place I pit from first after lap 5 and hope to pass the leading AI on lap 10.

The gearing used in the S's is obviously related to gear box setup, but if you have the option between two gears I think the longer is better approach as you said... except at times for turn 6 where you need to get way back to the right before the crucial Dunlop Curve. On fresh tires I often take the bigger gear for turn 6 (in this case gear 3), but as tires wear I'll shift down to 2nd to help scrub speed and set up the next corner.

Spoon is similar.. if you can enter in the "bigger" gear you can carry more speed as you approach 14 and worth braking a little early to achieve proper entry angle. For turn 14 if you nail it the bigger gear is better, but if you go wide at all the lower gear can help collect the car and save the exit.

PS> I wonder with a hybrid that recharges under braking if that changes anything... you are almost better to use a gear that requires braking rather than try the smoother gas/coast approach [in the lower gear] that can be so fast on the S curves. I honestly don't know all the in's and out's of the hybrid systems in GT7 so no clue, but curious.

Yeah dude 2 x 5 lap races feels like the strategy. I made the mistake of pitting at the end of 6th - I thought I was opening up a cushion but merely succeeded in denying myself additional time/laps to re-chase the leader in the 2nd phase of the race (last 5 laps).

By the time I worked out the "strat" I had to go out... I'll be working on coming in at the end of 5, which should mean less required at refuel and affording myself more time plus an additional lap to attack the second stint of the race.

Last edited:
Ah so that's what sanzi was talking about...not so much what's ideal for lap time, but what impact gear has on AI. wow that's messed up if true. lol.

Yes gearing impacts the rubberbanding or so it seems.

I was referring to the gearing as an anti-cheat mechanism rather than hypothesising over the ideal approach to maintaining pace.

I was referring to the gearing as an anti-cheat mechanism rather than hypothesising over the ideal approach to maintaining pace.
OK, so if I want to test this I should take higher range gear if there's a choice in every corner? So if I use 2nd for more power in turn 2, I should try gear 3 instead? Or does my pace at apex in those corners matter most?

I usually start the race super aggressive to get by the first AI in corner 2... maybe I just take that first corner slower in 3rd and pass him later in the S-curves to see what happens.

How stupid am I that, when I bought this game, I expected a racing game that would simulate actual racing?! I’m new to the GT series (and racing games in general) and I feel totally ripped off. I hate feeling like I have to cheat to beat the cheaters in these events!

Just won this with a 40sec lead - not even trying to be that guy, but I didn't find this difficult really

I'd admit if I did, like Maggiore for example.

I got lucky though (but thought this was a viable 1 x Stopper on RMs). As contrary to my earlier post (believing that it didn't rain using RMs) it started raining at the end of lap 4 at which point I was P3.

I came in for IMs while the rest of the field did one more lap on their existing tires before coming in for IMs too. By that stage I was 20 seconds ahead - because I came in with 6 laps to go and with around 5 laps of rain likely, I switched to fuel map 6 and saw out the race. The rest of the field pitted on lap 9 for Slicks by which time it was a wrap by 40 seconds.

OK, so if I want to test this I should take higher range gear if there's a choice in every corner? So if I use 2nd for more power in turn 2, I should try gear 3 instead? Or does my pace at apex in those corners matter most?

I usually start the race super aggressive to get by the first AI in corner 2... maybe I just take that first corner slower in 3rd and pass him later in the S-curves to see what happens.

Yes basically most of the corners I just took at a higher gear than optimal. (The game indicates - by flashing red - for me to take 2, I took 3... the game indicates 3, I took 4).

I wouldn't say every corner... mainly corners where you'd have lot of pace to power out in the correct/optimal gear (Id say 2 in the S curves or 2 in Spoon is optimal in the L750R VGT - I took those in 3, unless I lost too much pace via a bad approach - in which case I used 2).

How stupid am I that, when I bought this game, I expected a racing game that would simulate actual racing?! I’m new to the GT series (and racing games in general) and I feel totally ripped off. I hate feeling like I have to cheat to beat the cheaters in these events!

Yes, stumbling upon this has kinda upset me and undermined it for me.

Last edited:
All 3 Done and Golded! 500K from my 6* Ticket.

Daytona was the one that troubled me, couldn't get the strat - wasn't quick enough/saving enough fuel on RHs. And RMs needed a 1 stop with management but found myself short on fuel... in the end easily done on the RMs with a 1 Stop at the end of 5, using FM4.

St.Croix was a 1 stopper on RMs at the end of 4. FM1 all the way.

Peugeot VGT L750R for all 3

Last edited:
I had to use different cars for this one, but won all 3 easily eventually.

Daytona, 787B RH FM6 with the turbo kit
Suzuka and St. Croix with stock Mazda LM55 gr. 1 RH FM1
Any special tuning for the LM55? Particularly at Suzuka where there are so many tight corners?

Any special tuning for the LM55? Particularly at Suzuka where there are so many tight corners?
Unleashed drivers (YouTuber) has a video on the Gr.1 races with a LM55 tune custom for each track. Worked for me.

Unleashed drivers (YouTuber) has a video on the Gr.1 races with a LM55 tune custom for each track. Worked for me.
After days and days of laboring with other choices I watched his video and I bought that car and I used his tunes. What a difference, like night and day.

Thank you for the recommendation

That car feels amazing, so planted, so quick, so responsive. I could not have had more of a pleasant driving experience. That guy knows what he's doing.

I am having a hard time with the GR010.
Is it my setup or does this car understeer like no tomorrow?

Finally got around to attempting these. I went for the TSO50 , default.

Suzuka I was lucky enough to not have any significant rain but it took a couple attempts to win. Eventually I got a last corner overtake done on the McLaren after 0 stopping on the Hards. You really have to clear the lap 1-2 traffic very quickly to have a chance, and then do 8 straight laps in the 1:45 range to catch the McLaren in time, with a little fuel saving.

Currently I am stuck, though, on the Sainte-Croix race. I figure I can't use this car to win Daytona no matter what but I eventually got a hand on the layout and can overtake and beat the lead McLaren, but that Peugeot is on something else. With a 0 stop strategy again, the Peugeot pit two times and still finished the race 30 seconds up the road. Is it possible to beat that car here? I couldn't find a setup for this TSO50 online anywhere, either.

I figure I will have to use a Group C for Daytona given the fact that this car is very weak in a straight line.

Finally got around to attempting these. I went for the TSO50 , default.

Suzuka I was lucky enough to not have any significant rain but it took a couple attempts to win. Eventually I got a last corner overtake done on the McLaren after 0 stopping on the Hards. You really have to clear the lap 1-2 traffic very quickly to have a chance, and then do 8 straight laps in the 1:45 range to catch the McLaren in time, with a little fuel saving.

Currently I am stuck, though, on the Sainte-Croix race. I figure I can't use this car to win Daytona no matter what but I eventually got a hand on the layout and can overtake and beat the lead McLaren, but that Peugeot is on something else. With a 0 stop strategy again, the Peugeot pit two times and still finished the race 30 seconds up the road. Is it possible to beat that car here? I couldn't find a setup for this TSO50 online anywhere, either.

I figure I will have to use a Group C for Daytona given the fact that this car is very weak in a straight line.
You can win at Daytona and St. Croix with the TS050, with a one stop strategy. I kept the fuel map to level 1, and use racing hard tires. Treat each lap as a qualifying lap, and don't change the tires when you stop for fuel.

Both tracks can be tackled with the same setup, which will require low downforce (the gearing was the only change I made between the two tracks). You'll make up a lot of time under acceleration out of the lower speed corners, and braking later than anyone else.

Last edited:
You can win at Daytona and St. Croix with the TS050, with a one stop strategy. I kept the fuel map to level 1, and use racing hard tires. Treat each lap as a qualifying lap, and don't change the tires when you stop for fuel.

Both tracks can be tackled with the same setup, which will require low downforce (the gearing was the only change I made between the two tracks). You'll make up a lot of time under acceleration out of the lower speed corners, and braking later than anyone else.
I probably could gain some time fiddling with the downforce but for sure I feel like these are close to impossible without some luck. Unless I am mistaken the Toyota can't no stop Daytona, so your race is essentially with the McLaren that has better straight line speed, also runs one stop, and starts 30 seconds up the road. As for St. Croix the Peugeot is a straight up monster, it finished 30 seconds up the road from me with a 0 stop. I can't imagine I gain that much time from just a setup.

I probably could gain some time fiddling with the downforce but for sure I feel like these are close to impossible without some luck. Unless I am mistaken the Toyota can't no stop Daytona, so your race is essentially with the McLaren that has better straight line speed, also runs one stop, and starts 30 seconds up the road. As for St. Croix the Peugeot is a straight up monster, it finished 30 seconds up the road from me with a 0 stop. I can't imagine I gain that much time from just a setup.
If you've got the 919 it's quite a lot quicker at Sainte-Croix compared to the TS050, although the TS050 should win pretty easily. One stop and drive a fast as you can, don't change tyres. I'd suggest to run 1200/1400 downforce too, if you push it up too high you'll just lose a ton of time on the straights. Lap time wise you'd want to be below 2:55 if the Peugeot drives really quick, sometimes it doesn't and you can win by a huge margin.

Sounds like I should just use the Super Formulas for these :lol: I hate to do it, but bad AI is bad AI 🤷‍♂️

Jerome

I'm still stuck on a win at Suzuka (hard), just managed 3rd place at best, does anyone have a good setup with the TS050 or any other 'real' car? I refuse myself to drive these VGT cars. This is my best effort so far using RS one pit with the TS050 when the race had no rain:

Attachments

• 29640EAB-D41F-4CA0-9577-03A42F47B33C.jpeg
    29640EAB-D41F-4CA0-9577-03A42F47B33C.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Revisited this (parricularly Suzuka as the other 2 were first time wins more than once) - granted I play on normal difficulty but it was pretty straightforward in terms of pace. Won it twice with minimal hassle.

The only real problem is that this event unlike any others that I can recollect has changing wind direction so it's hard to predict whether the looming rain will actually cover the circuit, come down enough for an actual tyre change or simply look threatening but completely stay away.

The pit strategy is the problem. It's truly unpredictable and the radar is no nore indicative than the colour of the sky. The AI and race pace is not that problematic I found.

Last edited:
Any updated set-up tips/strategy for a 787B at Daytona? Currently 1-stop on RH tyres, doing regular 1.33’s, struggling to get anywhere near the leader. I usually get in the top 3% for the Time Trials. So either I’m missing something obvious or my set-up is particularly poor.

Back