Michael Schumacher badly hurt in ski accident

• Thread starter ZoidFile
  • 727 comments
Self awareness.
Uhm no, that's not what it means. It's one step up from vegetative state. In vegetative state, patients move, move eyes, etc. some times randomly. One step up is 'minimal consciousness', which means they do the same, but in response to external stimuli. E.g. twitch their arm when it is pinched, or are startled by sudden sounds. So what this means, is that Schumacher has moments where he shows this behavior.

It's an improvement, but the condition is still extremely serious and hardly any patients recover from this state at all, and certainly not back to a normal life.

Last edited:
Huffington post? That name made me chuckle, are you sure it's not a spoof paper? :lol:

It's an aggregate of news sources, with a lefty tilt, and minimally-filtered...think of it as an all-you can eat buffet: there's limited good stuff, a lot of junk, and too much of it is no good for you.

Sometimes it is a bit more alarmist than necessary, but that seems to be par for the news course today.

This actually sounds promising. The fact that he is sort of verging on consciousness means that consciousness may not be entirely that far away.

Come on Michael!

Latest non-news. Rumors News reports had Schumacher waking up completely, recognizing his wife... supposedly according to Sabine Kem in an interview with RTL News, but only a few networks and sites picked up on it before she and the supposed interviewer both issued denials.

Kind of embarrassing for those who rushed to run "the scoop".

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/157885/schumachers-agent-denies-wake-up-interview
I hate, absolutely despise all those sources who are spreading this.

Almost good news. Now we only have to wait for the moment that this "scoop" is real.
I'm going to say this:

The sheer fact that this news has come through, no matter whether it's real or not, means that there must be at least some kind of breakthrough that's stirring up or building. A story of this size could not have come from completely nothing, because that's just not journalism. There must be at least some kind of story, or piece of information, to have sparked this.

The sheer fact that this news has come through, no matter whether it's real or not, means that there must be at least some kind of breakthrough that's stirring up or building

I'd say that the words 'might be' would be more appropriate there. This is the internet, it doesn't matter how a rumour starts... if enough people like it it'll be fact by day 2.

No. There must have been some cause for this story, no matter the scale.

From what I've read he's been moved to the rehab unit out intensive care but still in a coma.
Just means he's off the critical list as far as I know.

Just landed to post the same thing.

BBC
F1 champion Michael Schumacher has left hospital in Grenoble and is no longer in a coma, his family says.
The 45-year-old German will continue his rehabilitation at an undisclosed location, they said in a statement.
Schumacher was placed in a medically induced coma after suffering a severe head injury in a skiing accident in the French Alps on 29 December.
His family thanked people who had sent messages of support, saying: "We are sure it helped him."
They also praised the "excellent job" of medical staff at the hospital in Grenoble, in south-east France.
Doctors had kept the seven-time champion in a coma to help reduce swelling in his brain.

Understandably the family seem to have acted to protect Schumacher's privacy (and their own) and have completed the move without any fanfare.

Good for them, I say. I hope the family are able to spend meaningful time with each other again and, naturally, that eventually he's able to regain most or all of his faculties.

Back