Michelin Becomes Official Tire Supplier and Technical Partner of GT Sport

I wonder if that real-world footage of that rally car driving meant anything, as well as what looked like Pikes Peak? I know that we could say a lot of things about Gran Turismo and Pikes Peak (and even the Isle of Man, both the track and the record-breaking WRX STI), but could more rally cars be coming with that earlier clip? The other real-world footage looked mostly like it was from the WEC.

Imagine being so bad at racing games you say stuff like his unironically
imagine being so insecure to respond to someones opinion like that .
it is what i think plus i have driven real racecars on real tracks .
that is what i use to compare games to . if you do not like my opinions then do not read them . pretty simple.

They said the partnership was signed for 3 years. Could this be an indication of the lifetime length of GT Sport, 5 years in total? Or could it be an overlapping contract into GT7? This made me wonder if it was indicative.

It will be interesting to see if they actualy model tires like this
https://www.iracing.com/physics-modeling-ntm-v7-info-plus/

or just try and improve what they already do . Does michelin have a sim machine for testing already or will they build one ?

here is what i found
https://markets.businessinsider.com...port-even-more-gripping-for-gamers-1028470441

• A new Michelin section on the Gran Turismo Sport "Brand Central" virtual museum, which introduces players to Michelin's deep history in global motorsports, performance and innovation.
  • Tire technology by Michelin available in the "Tuning" section of Gran Turismo Sport, applicable to the game's established hard, medium and soft formats.
  • On-track branding elements and scenography from many of the world's most celebrated motorsports competitions and venues.
so there is hope gtsport will by october not have the driving on ice type feeling anymore.

for contrast , goodyear has been working with sandia labs since 1990s simulating tires . infact a quick search will show every tire manufacture of note uses some form of simulation now to some degree

https://markets.businessinsider.com...llaboration-to-improve-tire-design-1001596153

just about every nascar driver i seen asked about it says iracing physics model is as close to real they have tried in the gaming world and as far as i can see , iracing uses inhouse tire simulation so having said that i myself am interested to see what oct brings . if it goes the way it says it will i might actualy play gtsport again . we shall see

I still would like an explanation why these three particular cars(and Gr.4 M4) below, don't allow the brand to be shown or replaced, when in the Livery Editor. @Jordan Would you be able to ask this question of why we can't select a tyre brand for those Gr.4 cars? Will we be able to keep the Michelin branding on those tyres after changing liveries?

hqdefault.jpg

I still would like an explanation why these three particular cars(and Gr.4 M4) below, don't allow the brand to be shown or replaced, when in the Livery Editor. @Jordan Would you be able to ask this question of why we can't select a tyre brand for those Gr.4 cars? Will we be able to keep the Michelin branding on those tyres after changing liveries?

IIRC there are some VGTs that have tire decals on them in the dealerships, but they vanish in the livery editor. And they, too, are Michelin, like the Hyundai VGT. I think it does have something to do with this recent partnership - like maybe it wasn't finalized, or something, and that this weirdness will get sorted out come October. Tbh it reminds me of the period where the same thing was going on with the SF19's Advan/Yokohama tire decals, before it got fixed in a patch.

imagine being so insecure to respond to someones opinion like that .
it is what i think plus i have driven real racecars on real tracks .
that is what i use to compare games to . if you do not like my opinions then do not read them . pretty simple.

GT Sport (being a simcade) has unrealistically high levels of grip and ease of use. If you can’t get on with this game you’re just bad at it and that makes you the problem.

There are just as many people who call iRacing “IceRacing.”. Why? Because they suck at the game, and critiquing it as such is an attempt to sound like an authority on the matter. “Well if I can’t be good at this game I might as well appear like it.”

Anyway, I hope you don’t return, one less liable noob on the track sounds good to me.

IIRC there are some VGTs that have tire decals on them in the dealerships, but they vanish in the livery editor. And they, too, are Michelin, like the Hyundai VGT. I think it does have something to do with this recent partnership - like maybe it wasn't finalized, or something, and that this weirdness will get sorted out come October. Tbh it reminds me of the period where the same thing was going on with the SF19's Advan/Yokohama tire decals, before it got fixed in a patch.
That's what I was hoping would hjave happened after the SF19 update.

I don't know if it has to do with Porsche and Renault factory requests to remove the tyre branding, but the Hankooks on the M4(which oddly, isn't an official GT4 like the official cars I mentioned above) and TT(which IS an official race car) seem odd.

That's what I was hoping would hjave happened after the SF19 update.

I don't know if it has to do with Porsche and Renault factory requests to remove the tyre branding, but the Hankooks on the M4(which oddly, isn't an official GT4 like the official cars I mentioned above) and TT(which IS an official race car) seem odd.

It could very well be both a technical issue, and a licensing thing. Either way, if there's a good time for it to be fixed, it'd be with this upcoming October update. In regards to those three Gr.4 cars, I think it's just a thing with all Gr.4 cars. IIRC other than the SF19, you can only change the tire decals on the Gr.3 cars, right? Maybe the Gr.2 ones, too, but idk about Gr.1.

Yeah, okay. Michelin, the official tire "supplier" of Gran Turismo.

Jokes aside, I'm only worried if this affects the tire brand selection in the livery editor, whether or not this will remove other tire brands from the decal selection (custom uploads included), or if the Michelin decal will be mandatory on all cars in Sport Mode (or other modes).

I am however interested in how the tire model will evolve with this new partnership though.

Anyway, I hope you don’t return, one less liable noob on the track sounds good to me.
haha you can cry all you want but it still doesnt change my opinion of the game .
it to me is like driving on ice and infact i will go tweet it so the whole world can see . how you like them apples ? what is your real racing experiance besides a game ? hotwheels or dinky toys ? .

Hopefully I can fit PS4's to my Megane RS in sport like I have on my RS IRL

Should be a good marriage between PD and Michelin however, will be interested to see the impact this has on the game. After finally getting a PS4 just to play Sport I like the way PD have continued with the direction of GT and keen to see where they go in the future

It could very well be both a technical issue, and a licensing thing. Either way, if there's a good time for it to be fixed, it'd be with this upcoming October update. In regards to those three Gr.4 cars, I think it's just a thing with all Gr.4 cars. IIRC other than the SF19, you can only change the tire decals on the Gr.3 cars, right? Maybe the Gr.2 ones, too, but idk about Gr.1.
Yes, all Groups but not Gr.4.

I really dont understand. Why? Genuinely?
Well it's not going to bring any new content is it? The only thing I could think of which would benefit the game is slightly better tyre physics. But as the simulation model of the tyre has a few fundamental flaws, this partnership won't solve them.

Well it's not going to bring any new content is it? The only thing I could think of which would benefit the game is slightly better tyre physics. But as the simulation model of the tyre has a few fundamental flaws, this partnership won't solve them.
Why wouldnt the partnership solve them? How do you know this?

Dude. The partnership has nothing to do with the tire model.

Sony / PD wants to keep GTS supported. They need money for that. Michelin pays them money, and in return, Michelin gets stupid amounts of advertising.

The “new tire model” is literally just bread & circus

Sony / PD wants to keep GTS supported. They need money for that. Michelin pays them money, and in return, Michelin gets stupid amounts of advertising.

I know it's just a sponsorship deal.

I'm not understanding this talk about there won't be a new tyre model implemented. Especially when Kaz said this:

“We have been pursuing the perfection of car physics for in our simulation for 25 years now. We’ve always found that the most mysterious part of that is the tires. In the 25 years we’ve been developing the game we’d always imagined what are the physical properties of a tire, and basically worked off our imagination to determine how a tire should react within the physics model.

“Michelin has a massive amount of technology relevant to tires and implementing that knowledge into the physics of Gran Turismo is going to allow us to have a more realistic simulation in the game as well as providing improved facets of strategy for the players in the FIA Championships. Now that we have this partnership with Michelin, and their long history and technology behind them, it really allows us to create something that is going to be real, closer to the reality of how a tire should behave.”

Do I live in upside down land? Or did he just say that they are going to implement more realistic tyres?

Ooh, I like the sound of this. 👍
I guess in hindsight, a timing partner and a tyre partner is obvious.
My guess was that the special guest was going to be a CEO or someone relevant from a particular company, as opposed to a 'celebrity', but I didn't think of a tyre company.

I know it's just a sponsorship deal.

Kaz: "We have been pursuing the perfection of car physics for in our simulation for 25 years now. We’ve always found that the most mysterious part of that is the tires.

"Michelin has a massive amount of technology relevant to tires and implementing that knowledge into the physics of Gran Turismo is going to allow us to have a more realistic simulation in the game ..."

VP of Michelin US: "When you take the amount of data we’ve collected over the years from different circuits, different vehicles, different tire compounds and marry that withsome of our simulation capabilities, it’ll bring a whole new dimension of strategy and ultimately improve the performance and realism of the game."

But sure, it's only a sponsorship deal.

It seems some people are unreasonably negative because ... reasons.

Ooh, I like the sound of this. 👍
I guess in hindsight, a timing partner and a tyre partner is obvious.
My guess was that the special guest was going to be a CEO or someone relevant from a particular company, as opposed to a 'celebrity', but I didn't think of a tyre company.

Kaz: "We have been pursuing the perfection of car physics for in our simulation for 25 years now. We’ve always found that the most mysterious part of that is the tires.

"Michelin has a massive amount of technology relevant to tires and implementing that knowledge into the physics of Gran Turismo is going to allow us to have a more realistic simulation in the game ..."

VP of Michelin US: "When you take the amount of data we’ve collected over the years from different circuits, different vehicles, different tire compounds and marry that withsome of our simulation capabilities, it’ll bring a whole new dimension of strategy and ultimately improve the performance and realism of the game."

But sure, it's only a sponsorship deal.

It seems some people are unreasonably negative because ... reasons.

Like I said, bread & circus... and you fell for it hook line and sinker.

I’m not saying the partnership is a bad thing. But if you think it’s not first and foremost a fiscal decision I don’t know what else to tell you. I mean look at that humongous Michelin banner forever on the settings screen. Lmao. It’s basically a pop-up for ad revenue. PD couldn’t make it any more on-the-nose if they tried.

Back