Microsoft Confirms Project Scarlett: 4x More Powerful than Xbox One X, Releases Holiday 2020

I believe they said the CPU they are using is 4x more powerful than what is in the X. Both PS5 and XB2 consoles are expected to deliver major advances in CPU power so this seems right in line IMO. That does not mean the GPU or the console itself is “4x more powerful”. There is no chance the PS5 or XB2 will be 24 TFLOPS.

Last edited:
I believe they said the CPU they are using is 4x more powerful than what is in the X. Both PS5 and XB2 consoles are expected to deliver major advances in CPU power so this seems right in line IMO. That does not mean the GPU or the console itself is “4x more powerful”. There is no chance the PS5 or XB2 will be 24 TFLOPS.

Actually 24 TFLOPs are the rumored specs for the PS5's GPU.

We will find out holiday 2020 . Should be interesting to see how it goes . I like that xbox will have games you can stream with xcloud and games you can play with a fee like netflix . Im Im thinking to match it ps might have to include psnow with the psplus fee

I believe they said the CPU they are using is 4x more powerful than what is in the X.

What was said, verbatim, is "From a pure processing perspective, this is four times more powerful than the Xbox One X." Whether the entire SoC factors into that equation, or just the GPU remains to be seen.

Kinda excited and kinda not, because games will take even longer to develop, we're approaching the end of this gen and I still feel like there's barely anything to play really. Just take Rockstar for example - PS2 era we got 3 GTA games, The Warriors, Manhunt 1,2, Midnight Club, Bully, Red Dead Revolver, 3 Portable GTAs; PS3 era - Table Tennis, GTA 4, 5, Episodes from Liberty City, Midnight Club LA, RDR and Undead Nightmare, Max Payne 3, LA Noire. This gen a Remaster and RDR 2. Some people are fine with it, but I feel like the quantity and variety is not there, and no, indies are not filling in the blanks. Several high profile studios also got shut down this gen, leaving even less devs for future software. It's just a bleak picture underneath the facade of 4k resolutions and stuff like that.

What was said, verbatim, is "From a pure processing perspective, this is four times more powerful than the Xbox One X." Whether the entire SoC factors into that equation, or just the GPU remains to be seen.

It seems pretty clear to me that this is talking about the CPU, which, again, has always been expected to be several times more powerful in the new consoles. This couldn’t be more clear. Honestly, it is absurd that anyone here believes the new consoles are going to be 24tflops. :lol: I’m a mostly PlayStation gamer. I’m all for the PS5 and next Xbox being powerful af....but I’m also based in reality. A GTX 2080ti comes in around 13.5 tflops.....and that GPU alone costs over $1,000. Microsoft and Sony aren’t including a GPU that is nearly double that. Like I said, the thought is absurd.

Don’t you think they would have said so if the GPU was 4 times more powerful? Of course they would. They were talking about the CPU, which is fine. Hey, a 4x more powerful CPU is nothing to sneeze at in the new consoles. I’ll take it.

Last edited:
Don’t you think they would have said so if the GPU was 4 times more powerful? Of course they would. They were talking about the CPU, which is fine. Hey, a 4x more powerful CPU is nothing to sneeze at in the new consoles. I’ll take it.
Honestly 4 times the CPU power isn't very impressive either, especially considering jaguar was already pretty weak in 2013, you would think 7 years of progress would show better. Bump the framerate from 30 to 60 fps, that's half of that improvement already gone, not to mention improved physics, amount of active AI entities, audio processing, assets streaming and decompression, game logic and other tasks. 4x is tiny if you want to see major improvement, CELL was 40 times more powerful than PS2 CPU if Sony is to be believed, X360 was a similarly impressive jump over OG Xbox, the Jaguars are barely better than lastgen CPUs, in fact in certain tasks they are not up to par with lastgen. It's a barely acceptable improvement.

Is ok having all these bells and whistles if XBOX can actually produce decent 1st party games. Honestly I think they're all a bit dull.

Last edited:
wonder where those idiotic names come from... well, in the end they will call it Xbox 2 Two One X One One X X plus X major plus X plus plus.

Remember when I said the new console would do 8k at 60 fps and people jumped on me saying it wasn't possible? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Still, I'm not sure I'll bother with the next gen console. Given MS's game plan, it looks like pretty much everything will come out on the PC too. I'd rather spend my money there than on a console.

Remember when I said the new console would do 8k at 60 fps and people jumped on me saying it wasn't possible? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Still, I'm not sure I'll bother with the next gen console. Given MS's game plan, it looks like pretty much everything will come out on the PC too. I'd rather spend my money there than on a console.
I mean sure it's possible in a 2D game or an Xbox 360 game, but you won't get any actual nextgen games running at that res and fps.

Actually 24 TFLOPs are the rumored specs for the PS5's GPU.
pastebin? This is not happening for an price point between 400-600€.
But the question is, which is more powerful?
We'll know soon enough :)

They meant the system overall most likely.

GPU: No way it's 4x more powerful than the X as you stated

CPU: we go from poor Jaguar to zen 2. An leap of 4x would be very disappointing.

It's possible. Just like Gamecube GPU supported 1080p. Lets be serious here, we won't see games in 8K, unless we are looking at a classic like ping pong. I expect 4K 60FPS as the upper standard and i am sure at the lower end in terms of resolution, we'll get 4K (checkerboard) and 30FPS.

We are absolutely going to see 8K games but not until later on in its life cycle. Same thing happened with the PS3 (and most games consoles in general) when developers finally get to grips with eeking out every drop of power from it. Early in the life cycle - 720p games, late in the life cycle - 1080p games.

What I'm slightly concerned about is the only 4X at most jump over last generation in cpu power. I can imagine they are going to price the next generation like the last (i.e. affordable rather than 'expensive') which would again be disappointing because we might not see the generation bump we saw with the PS2>PS3 ever again. Unfortunately we don't live in a world anymore where an $800+ console can fly and as a result we are getting essentially a mid-range APU based gaming laptop in a box again.

@Robin
An native 8K game would look worse than an game on the X or Pro for that matter. Yes, navi is based on an new architecture and more efficient. However, those consoles are rumoured to be around the 8-14TF range. How will developer be able to push graphics to the next level and support native 8K?

We haven't seen a lot of 1080p games on PS3.

Edit: Try an experiment. Take your GTX2080 and try to play at 8K. Not happening with current high end GPU and consoles won't have high end GPU in them.

Edit: Here you can find the native 1080p PS3 games. Fat Princess, Tennis and other not really demanding games.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/list-of-rendering-resolutions.41152/

Last edited:
And here I was thinking I’d grab an Xbox One X and put my 4K tv to good use for once. Think I’ll wait for the new Xbox instead, since it’s backwards compatible (hoping all the way back to 360 games). Also, Halo Infinite as a launch title has me sold already.

@Robin
An native 8K game would look worse than an game on the X or Pro for that matter. Yes, navi is based on an new architecture and more efficient. However, those consoles are rumoured to be around the 8-14TF range. How will developer be able to push graphics to the next level and support native 8K?

We haven't seen a lot of 1080p games on PS3.

Edit: Here you can find the native 1080p PS3 games. Fat Princess, Tennis and other not really demanding games.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/list-of-rendering-resolutions.41152/

The point is there will be 8K games, the graphical level those games will be is another discussion. The PS3 still had at least 50+ games at 1080p so it's more than a handful. Also things like Wipeout, RR7, VT, FIFA, MLB, NBA that are hardly 'low level' graphics games visually.

Edit: Try an experiment. Take your GTX2080 and try to play at 8K. Not happening with current high end GPU and consoles won't have high end GPU in them.

Ah but as we all know consoles have very good optimisation so a direct comparison can't exactly be made.

Last edited:

I agree and have too much invested in my Steam library at this point.

Pretty much only sim race anymore, with titles like AMS 2 coming out soon I'd get more for my money just upgrading my GPU to a 20 series.

8k native res is just a huge waste of resources that should be better spent on creating much better graphical rendering techniques instead of brute forcing that many pixels. It’s also way overboard, 4K TVs haven’t even been widely adopted yet. If the AAA next gen games are going to tout 8k I have no doubt it will just be upscaled via checker boarding instead of native. Add in Ray-tracing and attempting native 8k is just nonsense.

At least we got confirmation there’s hardware acceleration for ray trace. Sony should have it too with any power differences between the two consoles being slight differences in clock speed or memory set up.

@Robin
FIFA 14 was a 720p game. Fifa Street 3 was 1080p. According to the list from beyon3D there weren't even 30 1080p games on PS3 unless i miscounted.

I mean sure it's possible in a 2D game or an Xbox 360 game, but you won't get any actual nextgen games running at that res and fps.

8k and 120 fps? Probably not at first, but I'd say within two years of the console's release you see that. At launch though I'm guessing you'll see at least one first party title that supports 8k since it'll be a marketing tool. Something like Forza 8 or a Halo game, something that MS can really push.

Edit: Try an experiment. Take your GTX2080 and try to play at 8K. Not happening with current high end GPU and consoles won't have high end GPU i

In certain configurations, you can play games at 8k with the 2080. If you run NVlink you can certainly play them.

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...vlink-8k-60fps-gaming-now-reality/index7.html

@Robin
FIFA 14 was a 720p game. Fifa Street 3 was 1080p. According to the list from beyon3D there weren't even 30 1080p games on PS3 unless i miscounted.

That list was compiled in 2008 and it's unclear how well updated it's been since then. It's certainly not got all the 1400+ disk released games nor all the PSN ones. As far as I can tell there is no definitive list out there from after the PS3 lifecycle had ended. Again, the point here is there were 1080p games on PS3 and there will be 8K games on Scarlett that don't just look like Pong.

It’s also way overboard, 4K TVs haven’t even been widely adopted yet.

Depends on the country but here in the UK at least (and Europe in general) 4K TV's have been widely adopted. There are already 8K TV's on the market and I can imagine by the time Scarlett launches they will be reasonably accessible pricewise.

Last edited:
Back