Microsoft Details Xbox Series X Velocity Architecture

The Xbox Series X is an incredible system with so much power! I can not WAIT to see Forza Motorsport 8 run on this baby in Xbox's game event next week! Raytracing, life-like graphics and lighting, etc. I hope it's huge content, features and visual wise!

LET'S FREAKING GOOOoooo!!! :D

The Xbox Series X is an incredible system with so much power! I can not WAIT to see Forza Motorsport 8 run on this baby in Xbox's game event next week! Raytracing, life-like graphics and lighting, etc. I hope it's huge content, features and visual wise!

LET'S FREAKING GOOOoooo!!! :D

The return of Rally di Positano, 24 hrs of Le Mans and off road events here we come! :D

Last edited:
Have to admit it looks quite impressive. Matter of fact both new generation consoles the Xbox Series X and PS5 do.
They're literally taking console gaming to a whole new level, I would say on par with PC gaming. These are exciting times and I can't wait for the releases.

If the PS5's party piece is its special super fast SSD then this seems just a good no?
A lot of what MS is saying is similar to a lot of what Cerny said: high data transfer rates from SSD with a focus on removing the IO bottleneck. There are some differences - Sony appears to have designed the SSD for optimised 12-channel data transfer, and MS's plan to streamline data by only preloading a portion of textures (so it doesn't have to waste memory on what you won't see) is interesting, though I'm not hugely keen on MS saying "assuming a 2:1 compression" from its decompression algorithm.

On the face of it, Sony's SSD can shovel more than twice as much data raw or decompressed (effective). If it doesn't use something like SFS as detailed here, then in principle the MS/Seagate SSD could catch the difference up; it's a bit of a lie to say it acts as a multiplier, because it doesn't, but if the PS5 is shunting 10GB/s (or 9.whatever) to display everything but the XSX only needs to move 3GB/s because it's only displaying what you will see, the XSX still has 2GB/s headroom for SSD, and spare RAM capacity, for other things while the PS5 doesn't. We haven't heard anything more specific from Sony though.

I think both Sony and Microsoft are touting these tech specs so much because we wont see that big a leap in graphics this time around compared to previous generational leaps. Im all for faster loading etc but realistically its the games that matter the most I need a good reason to buy both consoles and it wont be the tech specs that sway me.

Great article and comments.

Is anyone aware of any reason why developers like Epic in Unreal or its competitor Unity or even Sony can't also implement SFS, does it rely on custom hardware or could Sony's custom Hardware start doing this too?

If I read the article correctly and what I read about Unreal Engine 5, maybe they already did this, a MIP map is basically a scaled down texture you use on scaled down LOD geometry for things in the distance, but it sounded like the Unreal Engine didn't need different LOD's so maybe it doesn't need all the MIP maps as well... someone who knows this stuff please correct my guess with the truth...

I'm feeling like I need to take everything people trying to sell me things say with more than a grain of salt after the latest apparent comments from XBox's Phil Spencer about console exclusives "But that should not exclude people from being able to play...", I can't imagine him taking this far enough to bring Forza or Halo to PlayStation which I would love to see as I will most likely only buy the PlayStation. There would literally be no XBox if they didn't buy Bungie and both destroy Mac gaming and provide a fantastic reason to buy their console exclusive.

Last edited:
Back