Microsoft Reveals Next-Gen Console: "Xbox Series X"

So Xbox confirmed 120 fps.
Kaz, Hold my beer. I will do 240 fps.

Basically Xbox just confirmed what we already know? :confused:

The teraflops figure has been heavily rumored, but never confirmed until now.

Whoa, those FLOPS are almost up there with my RTX 2080 Ti.

That said it's not completely about FLOPS - It's about how developers can optimise that really counts.

That's pretty damn close to the leak i posted of the 2 consoles a week or so ago in the ps5 rumors tread. Was 11.8tf, i wouldn't be surprised if that was the actual spec but they rounded it maybe.
Hope ps5 leak is close as well to that leak.

I was almost certain on switching to PS5 for the next generation, but that is a damn good press release! :eek: Smart Delivery sounds extremely promising, plus CDPR have confirmed those purchasing an Xbox One copy of Cyberpunk 2077 and want to upgrade to the XSX version only have to buy the game once. S-Tier Customer Service. 👍

Same. Sure, we will have to wait and see what the PS5 is like but it's not a definite purchase for me now.

Whoa, those FLOPS are almost up there with my RTX 2080 Ti.

That said it's not completely about FLOPS - It's about how developers can optimise that really counts.
Friendly reminder, AMD cards always have more TFLOPS compared to Nvidia cards and the performance usually is slightly worse than the top tier Nvidia cards. While 12 TFLOPS is more or less as much as a 2080ti, the XBox will probably sit somewhere between the 2080 and 2080S. Besides, TFLOPS is an indicator of performance, but it's only one variable out of a hundred.

Friendly reminder, AMD cards always have more TFLOPS compared to Nvidia cards and the performance usually is slightly worse than the top tier Nvidia cards. While 12 TFLOPS is more or less as much as a 2080ti, the XBox will probably sit somewhere between the 2080 and 2080S. Besides, TFLOPS is an indicator of performance, but it's only one variable out of a hundred.

The kicker, of course, is that the console will likely still be cheaper to buy than either of those discrete cards...

This is all fine and well but, the most important question is how big is the SSD? Games are only getting bigger, nearing on 100gbs each as standard, surely the SSD is going to be at least 1TB...right? If it's 512gb there will be issues almost immediately, unless we're doing this whole cloud streaming gaming thing but we don't all have super internet speeds. Hmm.

The kicker, of course, is that the console will likely still be cheaper to buy than either of those discrete cards...
That's the main point of consoles though, isn't it? Cheap, affordable gaming. But personally I would take a high end PC any day compared to a console. PC generally is much more versatile, but on the other hand consoles are portable and the exclusives might be a temptation for some.

This is all fine and well but, the most important question is how big is the SSD? Games are only getting bigger, nearing on 100gbs each as standard, surely the SSD is going to be at least 1TB...right? If it's 512gb there will be issues almost immediately, unless we're doing this whole cloud streaming gaming thing but we don't all have super internet speeds. Hmm.
Most likely the SSD will be 1TB, with the ability to upgrade, just like the PS4. Still, 1TB is very small for modern games, GTS is already 112GB on my console. They won't try to increase the size though, because they will most likely target a 500$ MSRP.

I was almost certain on switching to PS5 for the next generation, but that is a damn good press release! :eek: Smart Delivery sounds extremely promising, plus CDPR have confirmed those purchasing an Xbox One copy of Cyberpunk 2077 and want to upgrade to the XSX version only have to buy the game once. S-Tier Customer Service. 👍

Playstation already has this, its called cross-buy. Whether this is a deal with CDPR or if CDPR are allowing it themselves, hence all platforms having this deal, is yet to be seen.

So I just did the math, and the Series X GPU is in-between the 2080 Super and 2080 Ti; more powerful than the former (12TF vs 11.1TF) but weaker than the latter (12 vs 14.2 <- Founder's Edition; 13.4 normal).

It's also more powerful than the 5700 XT at 9.75TF. That's *incredibly* impressive. Of course, it's not 1:1 but as a basis of comparison, the point stands.
If the Series X has a 12TF GPU, I can't wait to see how powerful Big Navi will be.
If it's an NVMe SSD, I suspect it'll be ~500GB at the most. Even those are expensive, I can't imagine it having a 1TB drive.

Hopefully storage can be expanded easily, I agree with 500GB not being much these days.

I cant wait to see Forza 8 running on this beast
You'll be able to see it next month, where Turn 10 will display FM8 in the Xbox Series X to showcase ray tracing and other stuff at the GDC 2020. It's gonna be so great! :D:D:D

All month I've been imagination how gorgeous the game is going to look with ray tracing. It's going to look so dang realistic!!

Last edited:
I wonder how heavy ray tracing will be on the GPU. I don't really expect more than 1080p @ 60fps for games with all bells and whistles.

I wonder how heavy ray tracing will be on the GPU. I don't really expect more than 1080p @ 60fps for games with all bells and whistles.

I can achieve 1440p, High Settings and 30-60 fps with Raytracing enabled in games like Metro Exodus and Control on my 8 Teraflop GF 2070. It depends on the scene and i think its save to say i have an 45 fps average in these games. Since the Series X will be way more powerful, 1440p@60 should be a given, even native 4k doesent seem unrealistic IMO.

You can think about MS whatever you want but this is amazing value for money.

it will be probably 499 or 599 max.
Really? But what about the announcement of it not having any exclusives for a year or so?

You'll be able to see it next month, where Turn 10 will display FM8 in the Xbox Series X to showcase ray tracing and other stuff at the GDC 2020. It's gonna be so great! :D:D:D

All month I've been imagination how gorgeous the game is going to look with ray tracing. It's going to look so dang realistic!!

Nah, hold your horses. It would be great if they would show off the actual game, but it is more likely they will show a small tech demo with lots of talk. We might even wont see that if it happens behind closed doors.

No doubt, Motorsport 8 will be 4k@60 with RT. Keep in mind, that same game will be available on original Xbox One, so overall quality will be on par with current Forza games.

I can achieve 1440p, High Settings and 30-60 fps with Raytracing enabled in games like Metro Exodus and Control on my 8 Teraflop GF 2070. It depends on the scene and i think its save to say i have an 45 fps average in these games. Since the Series X will be way more powerful, 1440p@60 should be a given, even native 4k doesent seem unrealistic IMO.
While I hope your predictions come through, it's not quite as mathematically straightforward as that though.
DF talks a bit about ray tracing and its implications for (or reliance on) the console GPU design in this video:

Just trying to mitigate my own expectations really. :)

So Xbox confirmed 120 fps.
Kaz, Hold my beer. I will do 240 fps.

Basically Xbox just confirmed what we already know? :confused:
We got some new details like RDNA2 confirmed for example.

So I wonder if PS5 is not as powerful and Sony is trying to do some last minute changes or something?
RAM and clockspeed are the only parts any company could change last minute. The APU is what it is for both consoles.

I'm wondering if it will automatically boost performance of existing games (have an option in the settings) or will old games need to be patched again.
The Xbox One already had BC, which didn't require patches to get enhanced games.

Most likely the SSD will be 1TB, with the ability to upgrade, just like the PS4. Still, 1TB is very small for modern games, GTS is already 112GB on my console. They won't try to increase the size though, because they will most likely target a 500$ MSRP
The devs had to put some data multiple times on an HDD, because od it's speed. Thus games shouldn't get much bigger, because they can stop having to save data multiple times. Obviously the size won't decrease a lot, since the textures, ... will be bigger compared to this gen.

I hope consumers aren't able to change the SSD like they did with the ps4. Insomniac talked about users putting a slower than the standard HDD into the PS4 and they had to account for that for their game design. Which is bad.

External SSD are fine, but the baseline should be the SSD inside the PS5. If the external is slower, than the game needs to be copied to the internal drive.

That seems to be a fairly solid rumour. 9.2TF is a huge leap from current gen and Sony will benefit from the PS5 launching considerably cheaper than the Series X.

How do we know it's going to be cheaper at release? I wasn't aware of any pricing information being released as of yet.

How do we know it's going to be cheaper at release? I wasn't aware of any pricing information being released as of yet.
12TF silicon is a lot more expensive than 9.8TF silicon so they will have to charge more for it.

I think maybe what we have here is a decision by MS to launch with an enhanced console and follow up with a cheaper variant later and Sony deciding to do the exact opposite - we may see them launch a Pro version in a few years.

Last edited:
While I hope your predictions come through, it's not quite as mathematically straightforward as that though.
DF talks a bit about ray tracing and its implications for (or reliance on) the console GPU design in this video:

Just trying to mitigate my own expectations really. :)

I always watch these DF videos and follow the tech talk closely. Note these specs have surprised the DF guys. Whats delivered here is above their expectations. We are talking about true next gen GPU technology that isnt even available on PC right now. I think its save to say Series X isnt build for 1080p. It should be a locked 4K machine, even with Raytracing enabled. Framerate will depend on the type of game.

What wont be possible is Raytracing at 120 fps or native 8K in modern games with 60 fps.

I always watch these DF videos and follow the tech talk closely. Note these specs have surprised the DF guys. Whats delivered here is above their expectations. We are talking about true next gen GPU technology that isnt even available on PC right now. I think its save to say Series X isnt build for 1080p. It should be a locked 4K machine, even with Raytracing enabled. Framerate will depend on the type of game.

What wont be possible is Raytracing at 120 fps or native 8K in modern games with 60 fps.
4K is certainly a given for Sony and MS in the next gen.

4K is certainly a given for Sony and MS in the next gen
Nativ 4K? They could opt for checkerboard rendering or other techniques for demanding games. The console seem to be very powerful, but ray tracing costs a lot.

Nativ 4K? They could opt for checkerboard rendering or other techniques for demanding games. The console seem to be very powerful, but ray tracing costs a lot.

Not every game will use raytracing. We also dont know to which extend... Control on PC for example, lets you activate or deactivate various raytracing options. So there might be a "small" raytracing solution for many games. Native 4K is already a possibility on the best PC GPUs and it should be the same with the Series X. But its also true we might see some other solutions like dynamic resolution.

Back