Microsoft Reveals Next-Gen Console: "Xbox Series X"

This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Michael Leary (@Terronium-12) on January 9th, 2020 in the Gaming category.

I found this very interesting, so it seems to not draw air in from the base sitting on a raised plinth but rather from the rear then makes a 90 degree turn up and out the top, surely that's slightly inefficient. Surprised if at least one USB-C port doesn't feature, its all but the standard now. Also no HDMI IN? I guess they are dropping all that media centre stuff then!

I found this very interesting, so it seems to not draw air in from the base sitting on a raised plinth but rather from the rear then makes a 90 degree turn up and out the top, surely that's slightly inefficient. Surprised if at least one USB-C port doesn't feature, its all but the standard now. Also no HDMI IN? I guess they are dropping all that media centre stuff then!

I have two theories about the air situation:

1. That design isn't final and the inlets will likely extend further up the rear of the chassis.
2. The inlets are close to final and the internals aren't air-cooled at all; that's an exhaust port for whatever arrangement of fans are inside for the liquid cooling. It could also explain its SFF-like shape.

Only two USB ports though? Why is it these consoles (PS4 and Xbox) have such a limited amount of USB ports available? Especially when usually you may have more peripherals that need USB ports to plug into which the recommendation is to plug directly into the console? ....avoiding plugging into a USB expansion hub. (eg: Expansion external drive, Wireless headphones base station, wheels etc). My biggest pet peeve.

Only two USB ports though? Why is it these consoles (PS4 and Xbox) have such a limited amount of USB ports available? Especially when usually you may have more peripherals that need USB ports to plug into which the recommendation is to plug directly into the console? ....avoiding plugging into a USB expansion hub. (eg: Expansion external drive, Wireless headphones base station, wheels etc). My biggest pet peeve.

I guess it's simply down to cost. Interestingly the PS3 prototype way back in the day debuted with 4 front and 2 Rear USB ports, most of which sadly vanished when it reached the shelves.

upload_2020-1-10_12-51-37.png

I guess it's simply down to cost. Interestingly the PS3 prototype way back in the day debuted with 4 front and 2 Rear USB ports, most of which sadly vanished when it reached the shelves.

View attachment 880630
Yeah and that would have been great. But even if they couldn't accommodate as many as 4-6 USB ports following, just 2 is way too limiting.
3-4 I could live with.

What's wrong with using a USB expansion hub that has more number of ports?

What's wrong with using a USB expansion hub that has more number of ports?
I have no choice but to use one because of just the two available on the console and because I also had to have my Fanatec USB pedal cable connected I had to connect that to the USB expansion hub. But it was advised by the manufacturer to plug that in directly to PS4 console's USB to avoid issues which may arise and have arisen. But I had no choice.

will make buying a PC more attractive
PC is bigger, louder, cost much more and more complex - its not a direct competitor for consoles. M$ strategy here is brilliant:
1)average console platform holder making money only from accessories, third party games and subscriptions. Main reason for making first party exclusives is to generate interest in you console as a main gaming platform which will lead to more third party games sales on you platform and will give you profit.
2)gamer with gaming PC wouldnt use his console as a main platform, which means that he isnt console target audience.
3)M$ dont want to sell their console to PC gamers, but they want to sell their accessories, subscription and first party exclusives to PC gamers.

Therefore, I suppose it will make buying a PC more attractive?
Yes. There is literally no reason to buy an Xbox. It won't even be smaller anymore.... Why pay over the odds for a game or pay to play online? It doesn't make any sense at all.

Yes. There is literally no reason to buy an Xbox. It won't even be smaller anymore.... Why pay over the odds for a game or pay to play online? It doesn't make any sense at all.
Maybe it's for those who don't want to use a keyboard and mouse while playing video games. But they can buy a dedicated controller or joystick for that purpose.

Yes because I've played games on my PC with an Xbox 360 wired controller for years.
Never tried such thing yet on a PC but I'm glad it's possible. The only time I'd use keyboard and mouse is if the games I play are usually online ones like MOBA and shooting. But I can't imagine playing something like GTA V there without an actual controller. :drool::lol:

So the names will be Series X and maybe Elite Series X.
I think all consoles will be named Series [insert letter/number here]. Would make the most sense imo.
It absolutely is.
I agree with you. Phones, laptop, tablet had similar names and never confused anybody. Is the majority confused if A10 or S10 is the high-end Samsung phone line? No.

Someone is about to get fired.

This happened a few years ago when the (IIRC) PS3 pics were leaked by the son of one of the exec who had a dev box at home. It looks like the same thing has happened here.

If it's a dev box though, it's not truly final.

Actually, why is there a hole in the back up at the top?
At a guess, this is part of the mechanism to remove the rear case. You can see a similar slot at the bottom with a blanking plate covering it?

It's kinda ****ed up of whoever leaked that image to show the serial number. Would make it very easy for MS to find the source of the leak

That's an awfully small amount of inlet holes for air, if you look closely it appears that half the row of holes aren't even real, they are filled in.

Would have been nice to get a picture of the base to see if there is any vent holes there, it appears to have a round pedestal which raises it off a surface.

Actually, why is there a hole in the back up at the top?

Hard Drive access perhaps? I thought it might be some fingernail grab hole to prise the back plate off.

Back