Microsoft Reveals Next-Gen Console: "Xbox Series X"

People losing their mind over the name of a console is peak Games Console Fandom.

Honestly only good name that came from Xbox was Xbox 360.

We always go by names hence why Playstation works and has worked for decades while Microsoft cant even get a proper name. Im playing a game console not some laptop.

Compare the Ferrari 458 Italia against the Mclaren Mp412c and see which people prefer as a name.

It looked more like a Forza Horizon 5 rather and a Motorsport version. Racing through a rocky canyon is not very real, to say the least.

Was talking to people at work about the new Xbox today and the name did confuse them.

The name branding for Xbox is such a mess it’s not easy to lay them out and clearly see which is which. Playstation might not have the most creative naming conventions, but it’s so easy and clear to see where each system sits.

The name doesn't excite me, too utilitarian. Like who is gonna say "hey, wanna play some Series X"? They will just call it Xbox.

But the design has grown on me, it's for sure something different.

The name doesn't excite me, too utilitarian. Like who is gonna say "hey, wanna play some Series X"? They will just call it Xbox.

I think I like it. I think it's like 3 GameCube's stacked on top of each other, size wise. Would definitely be more convenient if it was a traditional shape though.

It looked more like a Forza Horizon 5 rather and a Motorsport version. Racing through a rocky canyon is not very real, to say the least.
The thing is though, it was a Koenigsegg Regera. The Jesko was welcomed by Dan to be part of Turn 10, which is pretty much hinting at the car is going to be part of the next Forza Motorsport, not Horizon.

Also also, seeing the Regera there says that Forza Motorsport 8 will be a launch title alongside Halo and other games Microsoft will announce at E3 next year, but we already know that. Chris did say we'll hear more about the game next year, so there's that too! :D

Last edited:

That's basically what happens to any console no matter what it's called.

Except the switch, Genesis, Gamecube, Wii etc.
Genesis CDX
WII U

You got me with Gamecube though :lol: I'm just nitpicking those two though :P However, that doesn't really change the point being made about this or the Playstation, which the discussion seems to be about.

Genesis CDX
WII U

You got me with Gamecube though :lol: I'm just nitpicking those two though :P However, that doesn't really change the point being made about this or the Playstation, which the discussion seems to be about.

The Wii U perhaps, but the Genesis CDX, was called the CDX or perhaps Sega CDX way back when. A friend of mine owned one of those.

I like the name, it's actually just "XBOX", but they needed to make it different from the original console. "Series X" just refers to the power level, much like how cars have different trim levels. Day One.

Project Scarlett - XBOX
Anaconda - Series X
Lockhart - Series S (presumably)

Is this what the Cybertruck designer does in his lunch hour! :eek: My that is the most unimaginative console design ever imho. :ill: Powerful computers with very expensive 3D software to draw a load of straight lines, or maybe it was a piece of paper and a ruler. :rolleyes:

I know it is all about the games, but the 'box' has to live somewhere in the hope.

I applaud them for full backwards compatibility though. 👍 :cheers:

99205A8D-9BC6-4B62-80B1-45534FAAD184.jpeg

The naming scheme for this thing seems to be confusing. Nevertheless, I hope it fares better than the outgoing console.

It’d be cool if dbrand comes out with a skin for it that makes it look like an Amazon package.

Better names for this 4th Xbox...

Xbox Scarlett - A lot of project names like Nintendo Revolution sound great, I swear to God brands are made of idiots
Xbox 720 (or 1080) - I guess the name would start look ridiculous when 1440 comes but still better than the current stuff
Xbox 3000 (or 4000)
Xbox Mark IV
Xbox Type-D - The upgraded models could be named like SuperD, HyperD, LightD, etc.

I wonder given how both next gen consoles are rumoured to be very similar under the hood if the PS5 will be similar in shape, or rather dimensions.

I agree it’s a rather lame name, but it’s far more original than putting a 5 behind the same name you’ve been using for 20+ years.

I tend to disagree. Sure its been 20+ years, but I feel like Sony keeping the Numbered scheme is good. Its simple and no confusion as to what it is. Its quite literally on-brand with their PlayStation Brand and frankly, I'm just fine with them sticking with what works as opposed to...whatever Microsoft keeps doing ever since the 360.

Now sure there is Nintendo to prove that the different names can work but if I'm honest, I feel like it ONLY works with them.

I tend to disagree. Sure its been 20+ years, but I feel like Sony keeping the Numbered scheme is good. Its simple and no confusion as to what it is. Its quite literally on-brand with their PlayStation Brand and frankly, I'm just fine with them sticking with what works as opposed to...whatever Microsoft keeps doing ever since the 360.

Now sure there is Nintendo to prove that the different names can work but if I'm honest, I feel like it ONLY works with them.

I never said the PlayStation has a worse name, just that it’s not exactly the poster child of originality.

Really not sure how to make this more clear to people in this thread. Perhaps I should try saying it in meme form?

I never said the PlayStation has a worse name, just that it’s not exactly the poster child of originality.

I never said you did, I simply disagreed and explained why I believe it works.

Back