Microsoft Reveals Next-Gen Console: "Xbox Series X"

2014 - XB1
2016 - XB1S
2018 - XB1X
2020 - XB1SX

Looking forward to 2022 and the XBox One Series X Edition S.
Past, present and future?

XBOX
XBOX 360
XBOX One
XBOX One S
XBOX One X
XBOX Series X

XBOX Series XS?
XBOX Series XSX??
XBOX Series XXX?!
_xXx-XBOX-xXx_?!?

20191215_161633.jpg

VR is still a very niche thing and likely will be for some time unless they can manage to make it considerably cheaper.

Love the backward compatibility, hate the name :yuck: Still not enough for me to switch consoles, especially if I can play COD on my PS5 with my BFF and his Xbox SX.

Jerome

I wonder how they will handle wheel support.

If the g29 is supported that could swing a few.

Considering how they lost the last generation they need all the help they can get.

Silly name aside, I am super excited about this console, though I slightly regret my recent purchase of an Xbox One X if this new one is completely backwards compatible.

VR is still a very niche thing and likely will be for some time unless they can manage to make it considerably cheaper.
They can give it away for free and I expect it would remain a very niche thing. As a peripheral it's about as universal as a FFB wheel -- it serves a niche of gaming experiences, for a niche of users.

I Just recently Bought the VR for PS4. I had been thinking about it for ages.

I was mostly conserned if I would suffer from motion sickness, as I can have it when playing certain shooters. Also lack of games that has VR support is a problem.

But now after I got it. All I can say its the most fun and intense expirience I had in a long time.

I can see for a lot of games its more or less useless, and kinda ankward to play with. But for Driving games it is perfect. I really hope in the years to come, that we will see a lot more games with VR support

Now After playing GT sport with VR in time trial mode all other time playing GT sport is just boring for me.

I Would love to see more racing games support VR. And I thinks its a shame that Microsoft kinda shut the door down.

Hoping that Playstation will conteniue to support it. Would be awesome to have a full gran turismo sport in VR :-)

Since Microsoft now pretty much puts any of its games on Xbox for the PC, I see no real reason to buy it (or any console that isn't from Nintendo for that matter). For me, a PC is a way better device to game on that functions as a bunch of other things. Assuming the new Xbox clocks in at $600 like some rumors are saying, I think I'd be better off just buying a new graphics card and some RAM.

How 'bout Xbox Square? :D:lol:
XBox rectangle surely! ;) :lol:
Since Microsoft now pretty much puts any of its games on Xbox for the PC, I see no real reason to buy it (or any console that isn't from Nintendo for that matter). For me, a PC is a way better device to game on that functions as a bunch of other things. Assuming the new Xbox clocks in at $600 like some rumors are saying, I think I'd be better off just buying a new graphics card and some RAM.
You pays your money you makes your choice. :)
Things may be different with Sony, I don't think they are putting Gran Turismo on PC any time soon. ;) :lol:

Things may be different with Sony, I don't think they are putting Gran Turismo on PC any time soon. ;) :lol:

Actually, I wouldn't be so sure. Sony is bringing out MLB The Show to other platforms and that's been a PS exclusive for something like 15 years. Still, buying a console for one game doesn't sound like a great investment to me.

If the PS5 and Series X share similar specs, the next gen could at least be on par with PC builds for most of 2020. Interesting stuff.
And great news for PC gamers also, since console developed games will finally make use of hardware that's inside high end PCs.
They can give it away for free and I expect it would remain a very niche thing. As a peripheral it's about as universal as a FFB wheel -- it serves a niche of gaming experiences, for a niche of users.
Hmmm, well it is on the rise, mostly thanks to the Quest apparently. So I guess only time will tell if it's still niche next year or the year after that.
https://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-quest-is-giving-vr-the-boost-it-needs-for-mass-adoption/

Actually, I wouldn't be so sure. Sony is bringing out MLB The Show to other platforms and that's been a PS exclusive for something like 15 years. Still, buying a console for one game doesn't sound like a great investment to me.
Maybe the Gran Turismo after the next one, but I can't see it for the next one (GT7) as the Gran Turismo sells consoles. I only have a PS4 because of Gran Turismo. I have a few other games, but they were bought used for a few £'s and hardly played. If GT also came out on PC, they wouldn't be getting any money for a console off me. ;) All I would have to do would do was buy a suitable graphics card, if the one I have wasn't good enough, and the game.

This may be the last generation of consoles though, because it would be even harder to have an advantage over even a modestly specced PC in the future for long enough to recoup the R&D, and possible losses on console, to earn the money on the game sales and subscriptions. If this is indeed the last gen of consoles, then they try to get a couple of versions of their exclusive titles, and then maybe port them to PC. Time will tell. ;)

The name reminds of mobile phone network data plan I used to use which at the time reminded me of Xbox: X - Series Silver / X - Series Gold.

Anyway design reminds me of the 2013 Mac Pro so I'm assuming similar kind of cooling solution but as it is a fixed platform, it should be easier to implement a cooling solution of a big heatsink for the SoC. Looks like it is going to be costly though, I think at least around the $579 mark. Hopefully design doesn't mean it is going to be a bug fest...

GPU seems to be 56 CU (3,584 Stream Processors) Navi (RDNA2 features of VRS and Ray Tracing) at 1.675GHz giving 12.0064TF. Low clock speeds probably due to thermal runaway but gives them plenty of headroom for future although at extra cost unlike for PS5 which is closer to max potential. They could potentially bump that up to about 14.3TF+ on a 5nm revision at a smaller size for late 2021 / early 2022 calling it Xbox Series XS...

I'm interested to see if they will release Lockhart at launch of Series X or if that is a more compact budget system coming later maybe early 2021. I do hope they give option of disc drive for that system too as it would make a good replacement of Xbox One S.

Looks like Xbox Series X will have a sizeable lead in terms of graphics performance if PS5 is 36 CU unless Sony have it up to 48 although might be slightly slower at loading up due to potentially Microsoft's OS and SSD solution. Microsoft look like they will again hold the weakest and cheapest and most powerful and expensive dedicated home console titles like current gen.

9th generation consoles is going to be mega, no more :censored:boxes 👍.

IMO gfx are already very detailed and realistic. Surely we do not need another level of premium cars :confused: The biggest upgrade about next gen IMO is SSD as loading times are still pretty slow. Also cpu is going to be big upgrade. IMO tera flops hype is blown out of proportion. I think there is only 1 gfx card that does more than 12tf and it cost more than 1000$. As far as hardware goes I still seriously doubt console are anywhere close to it. Having said that a gaming console is definitely a good deal than a gaming PC. Especially since devs really get more out of a console and just port their games on PC

That and not paying for Gold to play online. I can't see a single good reason to buy Xbox at all. PS5 on the other hand at least has reasonable exclusives but if those games don't interest you...

Agreed, I've (by way of being an MGS fan) been forced into getting every generation of PlayStation, but even looking at the console exclusives for Xbox, they all come to PC anyway (which I have)... so while it was a good way for MS to help support the Xbox brand, it's kinda killed a lot of the interest in it's console.... that and all it's exclusives are sequels of rebooted 360 or original Xbox games...

...that and bizarrely MS can't seem to make a good console OS..

That and not paying for Gold to play online. I can't see a single good reason to buy Xbox at all. PS5 on the other hand at least has reasonable exclusives but if those games don't interest you...

Bang for your buck performance. The XSX will very much be a high end PC-ish console spec. It's going to retail for $599 (hunch), and you can't come close to getting this sort of performance for near that price on PC.

Bang for your buck performance. The XSX will very much be a high end PC-ish console spec. It's going to retail for $599 (hunch), and you can't come close to getting this sort of performance for near that price on PC.
Plus £50 a year for Gold. Every year. I downloaded World of Warships on my Xbox one X. It's free to play. Nope. Gold required. Reset Xbox to factory defaults, unplugged it from the TV and mains, put it in its box. It will never be used again.

Plus £50 a year for Gold. Every year. I downloaded World of Warships on my Xbox one X. It's free to play. Nope. Gold required. Reset Xbox to factory defaults, unplugged it from the TV and mains, put it in its box. It will never be used again.
Can I borrow it? I need to learn almost as much about the Forza games as I do about the GT ones, so I can edit those bits of the blog more effectively :D

No need to pay full price for gold mate, there's always deals somewhere (cd-keys for instance) I payed £106 for 3 years ultimate, £35 per year for the 3 years max then used the £1 upgrade from Microsoft. Now I've got ultimate until July 2022 which will carry over when I get the SX.

Should be great value for money but probably still be called too expensive by some lol. Console gamers are for sure spoilt. Would be awesome if Microsoft sold a PC variant at a bit higher price, I think a lot of PC gamers would get one. PC gaming could do with a system like that.

I think Game Pass and if they get hold of some third party exclusives could help them mainly in US and UK to try and maintain market share, think PS5 will sell out quickly and often so they should be able to get customers looking for alternatives too.

Have the feeling though Sony are going to kill two boxes with one station with a strong hint of déjà vu. Sony again might have the cheaper (Probably not by much this time) and slightly more powerful and much faster console in a more compact form factor. Also if Lockhart gets released then Sony will have a much bigger baseline performance advantage than current gen, imagine the resolution comparisons lol.

Controllers could be a big factor next-gen too which isn't talked about much (Maybe also peripherals like the next-gen PS VR later on). New Xbox controller sounds like it won't change much over Xbox One controller which already felt meh to me compared to the DS4. I suppose at least it got the Share button which was much needed. If next PlayStation controller offers much richer feedback with couple of extra buttons as standard then that could have a bigger impact than any difference in graphics power and load times. It could feel like a generation leap in that alone between the two even if playing the same game which I think will make PS5 much more desirable to casuals all the way up to high-end PC gamers who will likely want to try out this next new thing over something that is maintaining status quo.

Latest Posts

Back