Minecraft News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by WallRunner, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Rykon Zero

Rykon Zero Premium

A very early course of business is to dig down into the earth to get some Redstone, then make a compass. It always points to your spawn point, and lets you go adventuring without worry of getting lost.

2. UnionStrike

UnionStrike (Banned)

I mark my house location with a series of burning trees.

I'm a scum.

[​IMG]

3. WallRunner

WallRunner Premium

After burning my house down on my W1 save, I started a new save on W2 and it's snowing! Been playing it for a day or two, moving from hideout to hideout exploring the land. I turned rendering distance to Small so I get tons of fog which makes it very fun to play since you can wander off easily and get lost in the blizzard.

Found a huge network of caves beneath my current hideout last night, filled with all kinds of creatures (I'm fairly certain there's a dungeon down there in one corner), and tons of minerals (I extracted 24 blocks of iron from less than a quarter of the mine!). I explored a fair bit but I ran out of torches last night, going in today restocked!

From,
    Chris.

4. Stevisiov

Stevisiov Premium

After getting it yesterday, I have spent a bit too much time on this. :sick:

Here is my humble abode, a Château built into the rock face. It's got a fair way to go yet of course.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Night-shots didn't turn out too well. :/

5. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

Damn, I wish this was a PS3 download game, so I can play.

How about a contest? Who can build the best dwelling?

6. Joey D

Joey D Premium

It's on the PC, you obviously own a PC and the internet. You can play it.

7. UnionStrike

UnionStrike (Banned)

I like your house, I've built mine into the environment too.

8. Rykon Zero

Rykon Zero Premium

Very nice buildings people have got. Of course, I still prefer the Black Sun Castle.

9. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

You obvisouly didn't read the entire thread.

10. WallRunner

WallRunner Premium

I don't really have any buildings to show off yet, especially not on this save, since my current abode is just a walled off cave, but I am working on a type of food trap but it's a pain getting it to work properly.

Cleared out the cave system I was talking about earlier, most of it atleast, there's still a few sections I haven't explored yet but I'm busy mining all the resources out, 6 Diamond blocks within 5 blocks of eachother, over 100 iron blocks and tons of coal, and I'm still not done!

Edit and it seems I glitched into some weird postion just a few blocks above lava before I left the game last so I just died with a diamond sword and pickaxe in my inventory, I think I'm going to go cry a little now...

From,
    Chris.

11. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

That's the object of the game? Create 'automatic' systems?

I noticed one guy had a 'feather farm' for making him many feathers. It was a system that flooded zombies, I think. The feathers would flow under the glass wall and all he had to do was collect them.

Another guy had an 'automatic' mine cart system. What it did, I don't know, but it would send out empty carts and full ones would return, I think. I'm not sure the point in that, except mine or make a bunch of resources, for what reason, I don't know. Does mining resources make you money? What do you do with that money?

This game seems cool and a lot of fun, but the goal escapes me.

12. UnionStrike

UnionStrike (Banned)

The only goals are the one you set for yourself, build a epic castle, a gigantic phallic, dig to the depths of the world, build rapture, the enterprise, etc. Minecraft is just awesome for letting you do whatever you want.

13. WallRunner

WallRunner Premium

Mine was just an idea to make a small-scale automatic system for gathering things, it wouldn't have even worked real well anyway. Most of those automatic systems are built to make the "mobs" spawn inside them and be farmed, this system was relying on stupid animals to fall into a 2x1 hole and drown, and it wasn't even working :dunce:

Started a new save, snowing again and I've found a pretty cool cave I think I will turn into my home.

From,
    Chris.

14. UnionStrike

UnionStrike (Banned)

holy crap I just realized you can play minecraft in 3D.

15. Rykon Zero

Rykon Zero Premium

Oh yes. I wish I could dig up a pair of glasses, but I can't seem to find them.

16. WallRunner

WallRunner Premium

The "Blue" part of the 3D is screwed up though, makes objects appear twice (in blue), and certain UI icons look weird (All White pork, for example)

From,
    Chris.

17. Sharky.

Sharky. Premium

lolwut, how do you play in 3D? :lol:

18. WallRunner

WallRunner Premium

ESC----Options---3D Anaglyph---ON

It's Red/Blue Cheap Glasses 3D, I'm wearing a pair from the newspaper advertisement for the Grammy awards :lol:

From,
    Chris.

19. UnionStrike

UnionStrike (Banned)

yeah, it doesn't seem too useful, somewhat difficult to tell the different color ores apart as well, at least for me. Oh well it was fun mining the blocks in 3D and stuff.

I've said it tons of time before and again.. wow, this game scares me, even in my own well lit mine, I'll occasionally hear random monster noises, but they're nowhere in sight.

;'::'; -sssssssss ._.

20. Richardrfo

Richardrfo Premium

That's what makes this game a bit scary, I think. You're completely alone, you don't really have any checkpoint system and if you die, you're dead, you start with nothing again unless you've got things stored or find where you died and grab back your equipment, there's a real sense of peril.

Anyways, been playing single player for a while and thought I'd stick some bits up.

Inside my place
    [​IMG]

From the outside, I need to improve on the spotting tower as I expanded the place and it's no longer central
    [​IMG]

The view from the tower
    [​IMG]

The tower from a distance, made so I can spot where I'm headed for home
    [​IMG]

I'm currently in the process of just starting a branch mine underneath my place after exploring caves for a while, I find them to be hard to navigate even when lit up with your own sign system to show where you are, plus less rewarding and having used the branch mining system in multiplayer I've found it to be one of the most effective ways to mine materials, unless you're in need of all that cobblestone from an open pit.

21. Sharky.

Sharky. Premium

Oh, right... for some reason I'd never noticed that in the options menu :dunce:

22. nick09

nick09 (Banned)

Well I just got to the depths of the land, found some red stone, found some lava, and made my own lava pit!
    [​IMG]

It won't burn my house down because I made sure that noting flammable was within a two block area. Kept two stone blocks between the wall and the lava so even the embers that pop up won't touch the wood. I also moved my workbench and chest much closer to the door. Should provide a nice amount of light at night and I can also throw stuff I don't need anymore into it!

23. UnionStrike

UnionStrike (Banned)

[​IMG]
    pretty 1337 day. :p

24. DQuaN

DQuaN Premium

Does this game run as an application or is it browser based?

25. Sharky.

Sharky. Premium

Application, although you can play the original version free of charge from within your browser. So a bit of both? :lol:

26. Rykon Zero

Rykon Zero Premium

You can play them all in the browser if you want. But I'm pretty sure most people jump for the downloadable client instead.

27. DQuaN

DQuaN Premium

I'd rather not play in the browser. Is that the only way to play the free version?

28. WallRunner

WallRunner Premium

You can get the World of Minecraft client and play creative multiplayer, but it's a hassle to get working properly.

From,
    Chris.

29. Richardrfo

Richardrfo Premium

Really? I had it working instantly, just run it, select the server, play.

30. WallRunner

WallRunner Premium

Main hassle is getting the minecraft.jar I guess, maybe it's easier than I remember it, this was back in march :lol:

From,
    Chris.