• 717 comments

Blitz24

Chromalusion Member
Premium
United States
NJ/USA
Blitzbay
Blitzbay
The opening pitch is less than 2 weeks away, where we will be treated to a matchup of NL Central teams, the St. Louis Cardinals (Wainwright, or Lynn) vs. the Chicago Cubs (Lester) on April 5th.

But there are 28 other teams in the MLB, so what are your prospects for the 2015 season?

The New York Mets will probably be better than in 2014, with Harvey returning and presumably the arrivals of Noah Syndergaard and Steven Matz, but one has to wonder if the loss of Zack Wheeler and reliever Josh Edgin to Tommy John surgery will damper their chances at the NL Wild Card. Needless to say, their offense looks good in Spring Training, so hopefully the team can go for 85+ Wins.

Thanks for starting a thread on this upcoming season of Major League Baseball, Blitz24. All I know is that I only hope my Astros can keep improving and keep up the great pace set from the previous season. The most realistic long shot for me this season is the Astros having a winning record. Second most realistic would be winning the AL West. That is... IF we get through the Athletics, the Mariners, Sanji Himura's Texas Rangers, and Patricks's Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Good luck to your Mets, Blitz24. And also... good luck to all of your team(s), regardless of who your favorite team is.

I'm curious to see how the Tigers do this season. My only hope is that the team goes .500 this year. It'll be interesting to see how the team does now that Ausmus has a full season of experience as a manager.

The Blue Jays will have an absolute belter of a month at some point, winning 20 games, but will offset that with a 20 loss month somewhere and finish with between 80 and 85 wins.

The Reds didn't really do much of anything to get better for this season. They added an old Marlon Byrd, but that's about it. Only 2/5th's of last year's starting rotation will be around as of opening day (Homer is starting the season on the DL, so it'll be 3/5th's when he's back), and I don't see the bullpen being any better. If Votto, Phillips and company can stay healthy, the offense SHOULD be better than last year. In any case, it's going to be a rough season. It seems the rest of the NL Central has beefed up their rosters. That includes a likely much improved Cubs team. I could easily see the Reds finishing last. I hope not, but I'm not holding my breath.

What is the biggest concern about your team(s) this season? Or maybe what concerns you about other teams, how this season plays out, or anything like that? My only real concern is really on if and how the Astros can improve on last season. As long as the Astros don't get roughed up with regularity, I'll be happy with my boys.

How about your biggest concerns and if they can get around such issues?

I don't think I can point to any one thing that worries me the most. Pitching and offense both concern me. The only things that I'm comfortable with (barring injures) are having a Cy Young caliber pitcher in Cueto, one of the best relievers in baseball in Chapman, a former MVP and OBP machine in Votto, and great defense (though I wish Mesoraco could throw guys out like Hanigan would when he was with us).

The NL Central scares the crap out of me. The Cards are strong every year and somehow manage to get good players via free agency every offseason as well. The Pirates are strong in pitching and have possibly the best centerfielder in the game. The Brew Crew are always a threat to challenge for the division. Even if they don't take it, they make it interesting every year it seems. And as I mentioned, the Cubs made some big moves in the offseason, and I see them being much, much better than the previous five or so seasons. As for the Reds? I'm guessing it'll be around a .500 season.

My main fear is the bullpen. Ignore Verlander- the Tigers have a good depth of starters that can be brought up from Toledo as needed and are capable of filling in for him. However, the bullpen has been the biggest issue with the team for years. The pen absolutely needs to be sorted because that has and will continue to hurt the Tigers in the playoffs. Its hard to go far when the pen routinely blows your games.

As a Pirates fan whose team is being picked as a deep into October team I have a few concerns.Losing Martin will be a big hole to fill but I like what I have seen from Cervelli, but if he gets hurt like he always seems to then we are in trouble.Stewart is just a OK backup and Tony Sanchez is a 1st rnd bust.

The pitching staff is solid,no classic #1 starter but there are no weak links in the chain.

The infield is also solid with Harrison now the everyday 3b and Alvarez moving to 1st.Pedro has huge power but he is absolutely clueless on how to hit-being down 2 strikes doesnt mean closing your eyes and swinging as hard as possible.I expect another 170k season with the .240 avg.The additions of Sean Rodriguez,Corey Hart,and the Korean Kang fill out the bench.

Marte and Cutch are top shelf and Polanco has a lot of upside but he has holes on his swing.

Overall it is division title or bust.

PLAY BALL!

Can you believe tonight starts the long grind of Major League Baseball? Tonight is the night! It is an NL Central showcase as the St. Louis Cardinals visit Wrigley Field to meet the Chicago Cubs. The pitching duel is Adam Wainwright (STL) vs. Jon Lester (CHC).

Welcome to the new season!

The Padres and the Cubs will be interesting to watch this season, and maybe even for subsequent seasons. It isn't as if either club is completely sorry or anything. Can't argue with the talent on both sides for San Diego and the Chicago Cubs. My Houston Astros shipped off Dexter Fowler to the Cubs. Fowler was pretty solid for the Astros, so I'm sure he'll do a great job for the Cubs.

I think these deals will work well for both sides. HOW well remains to be seen.

The first official game of the season has ended, and the St. Louis Cardinals defeated the Chicago Cubs 3-0. The Cubs had plenty of chances to try to produce runs in front of the home crowd at Wrigley Field, but the team couldn't score and made several mistakes which costed them dearly.

Let's begin a new season of Major League Baseball! Here are the first series of the 2015 season:

* STL Cardinals at CHC Cubs (series resumes on Tuesday)
* CLE Indians at HOU Astros
* TOR Blue Jays at NYY Yankees
* MIN Twins at DET Tigers
* COL Rockies at MIL Brewers
* BOS Red Sox at PHI Phillies
* BAL Orioles at TB Rays
* NYM Mets at WSH Nationals
* CHW White Sox at KC Royals
* LAA Angels at SEA Mariners
* PIT Pirates at CIN Reds
* SD Padres at LAD Dodgers
* ATL Braves at MIA Marlins
* TEX Rangers at OAK Athletics
* SF Giants at ARI Diamondbacks

Play ball, GTPlanet! Good luck to all of your teams this season.

The Tigers open up the season with both their first win of the season and their win in the AL Central. The Tigers beat the Minnesota Twins 4-0, and David Price went 8 2/3 innings. Joe Nathan got the save. The sold out crowd at Comerica Park will probably be leaving Detroit as happy fans.

I'm so excited to have the baseball season back again. Let's go Yanks.

Rockies trounce the Brewers 10-0 as Kyle Lohse gives up 8 runs before making it through 4 innings.

Masahiro Tanaka got jacked by Edwin Encarnacion and the Blue Jays power over the Yankees, 6-1.

Max Scherzer pitched great, gave up no earned runs, but Ian Desmond's two errors doomed the Nationals to a 3-1 loss to the New York Mets.

Mets won
today-was-a-7rf9bt.jpg

The Twins lost, which was to be expected. In better news, I'll be going to the April 16th game against the Royals, thankfully they are very good seats and I love Target Field.

The Houston Astros start 2015 with a win! It was a 2-0 victory tonight over the Cleveland Indians. The Astros collected 3 hits. Dallas Keuchel picked up the win pitching 7 innings of shutout ball. The Save went to Gregerson. Kluber took the loss for the Indians. Cleveland had 3 hits.

Elsewhere...

* Boston clowned Philadelphia today. Four solo jacks and a Grand Slam in Philly led to an 8-0 victory for the Red Sox. The winner was Clay Buchholz for BOS while Cole Hamels lost for PHI.

* Yanks spanked. Toronto came into the Bronx and slapped them around with a 6-1 victory. Masahiro Tanaka took the NYY loss while Hutchinson got the win for TOR.

* Patrick's Angels didn't fare too well up in the Pacific Northwest. 4-1 was the score in Seattle as King Felix got the win along with a Rodney Save. Losing for LAA was Jered Weaver.

* Blitz24's mets handled the Washington Nationals 3-1 in Washington, D.C. Bartolo Colón was the winner with a Save from Buddy Carlyle. Losing for WSH was Max Scherzer.

* Great American Ballpark saw their beloved Cincinnati Reds win 5-2 over the Pittsburgh Pirates. Jumbo Diaz won for CIN along with a Save from Aroldis Chapman. For the boys in black and yellow, Tony Watson took the loss.

* Miami wasn't real festive after losing 2-1 to Atlanta. The Braves won behind Julio Teherán's pitching and a Grilli Save. Losing for the Marlins was Alvarez.

* Defending AL Champs, Kansas City Royals, started their 2015 campaign right by beating down the Chicago White Sox 10-1. Ventura won for KC; former Notre Dame football player Jeff Samardzija got tackled for a loss (so to speak) for CHW.

* 4-0 was the score at beautiful Comerica Park (one of my favorite AL ballparks) as the Detroit Tigers took care of the visiting Minnesota Twins. The price was right as David Price got the win along with a Save from Joe Nathan. Phil Hughes took the loss.

Just remember- these are the first series of the season. It isn't the end of the season because you lost your first game of the season. This is baseball- you WILL lose games. Just don't lose with regularity. Nobody's going to go 162-0 or even sweep all opponents in the playoffs. Just win consistently.

Congratulations to all other winners from today and tonight.

My fears realized. The Reds escaped with a win today, but not before the bullpen blew it. Cueto pitched excellently for 7 innings; 4 hits, 0 runs, 10 K's. It took less than an inning for the Pirates to tie it up off the bullpen with a McCutchen two run bomb to center. And up until that point, one of my other concerns was coming to light. Despite having two runs, we only had two hits. One run came off of a balk, the other a Jay Bruce homer. Luckily we lit up their bullpen in the 8th though. Hamilton and Votto got on, and Frazier launched a pitch into orbit (okay, ONLY the second deck :lol:) for a 3 run lead. Chappy came in and did his thing. A couple of strikeouts and a popup to end it.

I just wish they would change the rule about which pitcher gets the win in cases like these. Cueto deserved the win. I know it would change the stat book tremendously, and it would be hard to compare past and present players. But credit should be given where it's due.
/rant over

Not the way I wanted the Yankees to start the season. But it's only one game out of 162.

So the Padres just acquired Melvin (BJ) Upton and Craig Kimbrel...
So shocked about the trade. Especially about this Melvin Upton, the mysterious third brother. j/k

I feel good about the Braves winning the opener, but about the same as @Ken Koios feels about his Yankees loss. It's a looong season!

Update on the late games:

- San Francisco is trailing the Diamondbacks by a count of 6-7 at the bottom of the 6th.

- Texas is leading Oakland by a score of 3-1 in the bottom of the 7th. Colby Lewis is on tap to take the win, pitching six solid innings of three hit ball, and allowing one earned run.

- Los Angeles Dodgers is being shut out by the Padres by a margin of 0-1 at the bottom of the 5th.

- The Angels are doing a lot better, leading Seattle by a score of 2-0 at the start of the 9th.

Mat who? I don't really care. All I know is Latos's wife is a whore. And he better wear long sleeves because those tattoos are a disgrace to the game.

I told you guys Latos was a bum. I hope he went home and shoved his tattooed hand up his ass. Disgrace.

Yeah, I can see what he's been doing since he got here to Miami. Probably out whoring with his wife, then come out and make your debut throwing gorilla **** across the plate. 7 runs by the Braves in the 1st inning. Pathetic.

Yeah, that sucked pretty hard, Omnis. That first inning couldn't end any sooner for the Marlins once the flood gates opened in the very first inning. Then to lose 12-2 when it was all said and done... that sucked if you're a Marlins fan. This was probably more embarrassing than when it rained on Opening Day with the roof open at Marlins Park. Only positive from Tuesday is that you didn't lose in a Perfect Game, a No-Hitter, or get shut out.

I found out my Astros didn't even play tonight, so I can't report on if we fared any better than any other teams. Congratulations to all who won on Tuesday.

I don't even want to know how it can get worse. Stanton taking a 100mph heater to the nuts? David Samson called in to pinch hit?

I don't even want to know how it can get worse. Stanton taking a 100mph heater to the nuts? David Samson called in to pinch hit?
Well they can have a rain delay in a retractable roof stadium because they don't employ meteorologists. There's one way.

Back