MLS Anyone?

United States
Mill Creek, WA
HighSeasHoMastr
HighSeasHoMastr
Ok, ok, I know. MLS is a bad joke to most fans of the beautiful game. Let's just get that out of the way right now. It's too physical, the officiating is too inconsistent, and the level of play is just generally bad. But it's all we Yanks have got!

Seeing as it is the only top tier football in the U.S, which is sadly where I live, I figured that there just might be some other people who suffer through the games to support their hometown club. If there is, post your predictions , discussions, reviews and all things American (proper)football here! If not, then just let this thread die haha.

Full disclosure: I haven't watched the Galaxy @ Sounders FC game yet. I have it on TiVo and plan to watch it tomorrow morning. In the meantime, go Sounders!

I am new to the game of soccer and it is difficult to keep up with European soccer sometimes with the time differences and lack of coverage in America. Although MLS games aren't televised too often, they've got to be easier to catch on TV than any European game. I think ESPN does one EPL game a month really early on Saturday or Sunday morning. Otherwise, I could pay extra for the sports package to get standard definition GolTV or Fox Soccer. I have yet to watch a Euro game on an internet feed that wasn't choppy or didn't get pulled down for copyright infringement.

With all of that said, I watched last night's opener and am looking forward to the new season. I live in Chicago and was looking into season tickets for the Fire because they are ridiculously cheap. I've already purchased some great seats (1st row, midfield!) for the game vs the NY Red Bull in June.

As far as last night's game goes, it was sloppy as hell. The rain and playing on turf didn't help the quality of play. David Beckham, one of the major draws in MLS, looked completely disinterested in what was happening on the field. I don't know how LA fans take this guy but to me he looks as if he thinks he's "above the MLS". Despite all of that, the game was still somewhat exciting.

I am new to the game of soccer and it is difficult to keep up with European soccer sometimes with the time differences and lack of coverage in America. Although MLS games aren't televised too often, they've got to be easier to catch on TV than any European game. I think ESPN does one EPL game a month really early on Saturday or Sunday morning. Otherwise, I could pay extra for the sports package to get standard definition GolTV or Fox Soccer. I have yet to watch a Euro game on an internet feed that wasn't choppy or didn't get pulled down for copyright infringement.
Yeah, it's tough to keep up with the time difference sometimes. I finally paid out for Fox Soccer, and if you don't mind waking up early on the weekends you can catch a few games a week at least. Some of the games they choose to air over others are a little suspect, but that may be down to British broadcasting rights because I think that Fox is a Sky partner so maybe they don't have full rights to every game? (Correct me if I'm wrong anyone who knows...)

With all of that said, I watched last night's opener and am looking forward to the new season. I live in Chicago and was looking into season tickets for the Fire because they are ridiculously cheap. I've already purchased some great seats (1st row, midfield!) for the game vs the NY Red Bull in June.
If you'd be able to make most of the games, I'd say it's worth it. I have season tickets for the Sounders, and I'll only be able to make maybe 60% of the games this year. Granted, I know I'll be able to sell the ones I can't use, which may not be the case for you (don't know how strong support for the Fire is) but either way, they're probably cheaper too. If you have the means and are really serious about it, it's worth it to be able to go to every game you can.

As far as last night's game goes, it was sloppy as hell. The rain and playing on turf didn't help the quality of play. David Beckham, one of the major draws in MLS, looked completely disinterested in what was happening on the field. I don't know how LA fans take this guy but to me he looks as if he thinks he's "above the MLS". Despite all of that, the game was still somewhat exciting.
Yeah. This time of year, rain is the prevalent weather condition in these parts, so there's not a lot for it. I guess we could build a covered stadium, but there's really no space in Seattle for another stadium, so it'd end up being built not in Seattle and then how would we get off being the Seattle Sounders haha? Wet turf=very fast surface, and you could tell that the ball was just getting away from people sometimes. Plus, the MLS isn't exactly world renown for it's tight, controlled play even in the dry...
As for Becks, I just really think he doesn't want to be here anymore. He came to the MLS to try and develop the league, which has sort of worked, it is better now than it was, but I think his loans in Europe have reminded him what it's like to play at that level and he knows he still could play at that level, so I think he's fallen into a disinterest with MLS. Hopefully he'll either 'man up' or get out. LA has plenty of other good midfielders, they could stand to lose him.

Great goal by Juninho, he's looked really good since joining the Galaxy. I felt like Seattle had more chances than LA, but once again we failed to capitalize on what we got. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend again...

I actually wanted to start an MLS thread for 2011. Now that this thread is made, I'll use this space to discuss MLS soccer/football. I do tend to watch matches with my Houston Dynamo. I'm just uncertain if we will get to and stay competitive like the Dynamo have been their first two seasons in Houston. The Dynamo will get a new stadium that will open maybe a few months into the 2012 season. This newer stadium (that seats about 20K or 25K people) will be not far away from Minute Maid Park and the Toyota Center.

As for this season, I really think the Seattle Sounders will surely be competitive as will the New England Revolution.

I only care to watch MLS on occasion because one of my classmates from junior high through high school now plays for RSL. If I find out that they have a game on TV against Chivas or Galaxy I'll try to tune in and see if he plays.

Great goal by Juninho, he's looked really good since joining the Galaxy. I felt like Seattle had more chances than LA, but once again we failed to capitalize on what we got. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend again...

That goal was a rocket!

Also, Fredy Montero is boss. I hope Seattle finds a way to keep that guy on this side of the pond. He could be the future face of the MLS. The washed-up European stars like Henry and Beckham are good ticket sellers but MLS needs more young superstars. The problem is that it's an uphill battle to get/maintain prime talent over here. MLS teams are like AAA baseball teams and the Euro league teams are like the Yankees and Red Sox just buying up the best talent.

All right Sounders, let's get our first win in the books tonight. Please god, not another season of goal scoring issues....

What a crappy season for me to take interest in MLS and the Chicago Fire. Good thing there isn't relegation in the MLS. LOL

On a side note, that game that I bought tickets for against the NY Red Bull is getting more interesting as Agudelo is emerging as a superstar in the MLS. I have a feeling he won't be playing many more games in the MLS in the near future so getting to see him beat down the Fire in person will be quite a treat.

GO DYNAMO!! I'm so glad we're getting our own stadium. I mean I love that they play at Robertson Stadium but they need a bigger better stadium.

RSL is going for the CONCACAF CL cup at home, tonight. First game ended 2-2 in Monterrey. Looking good for Salt Lake.

What a terrible game tonight. :yuck:
How has Dallas kept a clean sheet for like 500 minutes? Their keeper looked awful! He has no judgement about when the ball will get to him when he comes out...
And BTW: 🤬 Nate Jaqua. I'd rather have a blind midget with no legs on the pitch then that lazy sack of 🤬

Is it just me, or are there lot of tripping in MLS matches?

I've never followed the sport, but I've occasionally caught some matches on TV before. While I have yet to see our local Portland Timbers play, I caught some extended highlight the other night. I have never seen so many tripping, sliding, legs tangling in any sports, including soccer/football.

Was that normal?

Well, yes. Unfortunately.
The MLS is an overly physical league, because the officiating has allowed the players to make up for their lack of finesse and skill with physicality. This practice has been around since I started watching, but now they're finally realizing that it can't continue after 2 broken legs in 1 weekend, but the officiating is still so inconsistent that the players do it anyways. This leads to lots of bad challenges, and lots of bad calls.
I hesitate to put all the blame on the way it's been run, because some of the fault is with the players too. They make challenges that could be decent if done correctly, but they lack the skill to actually do them the way they may have wanted to, and it leads to bad tackles. Also, simulation (or diving) is very prevalent in the MLS. Due to the inconsistency of the officials and the known physicality of the league, there's a tenancy for players to try to sell a decent tackle as bad because they know it could have been bad, and so does the ref. This leads to a lot of tackles that are clean (if not pretty) being called as fouls when the player takes a dive. Even when they don't get the call, they run very little risk of seeing a card for simulation because I'm not sure MLS refs even know what that is lol...
They're trying to change it now, but it's pretty embedded in the psychology of players who've played here for any length of time. And it won't change until there's a massive reform of the officials to introduce some consistency.

I appreciate the reply. 👍 As a casual fan of the sport, I thought what I was seeing was excessive, but definitely was not sure.

It is quite a turn-off for me, but I am glad to hear that they are aware. As long as they see that as a area they need to improve in, it will improve the quality of the games & the league, I'm sure.

I don't follow the MLS, mainly because I'm English, but I usually tune in to watch the all stars game. So is anyone going to clock this? The MLS is looking to field a pretty decent team this year, Beckham and Henry will probably the ones to watch, along with Donovan for the all stars. And it'll be interesting to see what team united will field. With Jones and De Gea not being able to make the trip I was kinda disappointed, I was looking forward to seeing them two play in a united shirt, mainly Jones as he's a big England prospect.

Note: I don't support Manchester United.

From Vancouver and starting to take some interest in it with our new team. I've never played soccer myself but I'm enjoying most of the games I've watched so far. Hassli's goal against the Sounders was incredible a few weeks back.

We are only an expansion team so this was more or less expected. Will quickly gain popularity here as the Cup run is over now. They have sold out every game at the temporary stadium we have set up right now. They will move into a freshly renovated stadium with our football team later this year that seats over 60 000 so likely won't sell that out.

I will be very excited for the day we are competitive enough to challenge the Sounders and then that could be a great rivalry.

keldabest13
you mean "football"...?

Nope in North America it is called soccer. MLS is Major League Soccer.

I know you know this but if you start talking football on this side of the pond your talking about a whole other thing which is far more popular that soccer over here.

Im looking forward to the MLS XI vs Manchester United. One because I'm a United fan and two I believe in recent years the MLS has become much more popular (partly due to big teams having their pre-season tours there) and the quality of players has improved as well as the addition of Thierry Henry and David Beckham.

In all the MLS doesn't come very close to European leagues but it's a developing league which I'm sure in a few years can rival the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A IMO.

100% Pacific Northwest Fan!!! So it's strange for me to like two teams, most of my friends find it just plain weird.

Sounders and Timbers all the way!! Win Loose or Draw, I support them

Well despite being last in the league we are drawing the third largest crowds according to attendance numbers that were just released.

Pretty impressive considering the Whitecaps are an expansion, had to compete with the Stanley Cup run, and both Henry and Beckham didn't make their games up here.

The Los Angeles Galaxy won 1-0 over my Dynamo for the MLS Cup. I know it was all about David Beckham and all, but I was damned disappointed there wasn't much talk about the Dynamo having a chance to take down the Galaxy. Almost as if we were just an afterthought. Landon Donovan scored the lone goal in the 72nd Minute for the Galaxy. I did not see the game; this was all based on what I read from Yahoo! Sports.

But again, Galaxy over my Dynamo 1-0. Just too f:censored:ing bad the Dynamo wasn't given any real preview from the ESPN promo stuff I've seen.

Oh well.

I lost all of my respect for Ian Darke, whom after the Men's and Women's World Cups made great commentary, decided to be a Galaxy bandwagon. I'm proud to be a fan of a team that doesn't buy talent, and I'll be excited to be in the Supporter's Section as the Dynamo go all the way to the MLS Cup final again, and win it in their home stadium. Too bad the Galaxy won, I've always wanted to see a woman like Beckham cry.

I love the Dynamo, but the Galaxy had that game from the first minute. They just had a lot of missed shots. Great season and game from the Dynamo though. If we had Davis on the field, it might very well be a different score at the end of the night. And I'm sure having the home field by chance helped the Galaxy.

If we had Davis on the field, it might very well be a different score at the end of the night.

Completely true. Beckham also had no right to hoist that trophy, he didn't play to earn it at all. At least give it to Keane to hoist it first, he scared me the most...

Also, on a completely different note, I have never seen a picture of Geoff Cameron looking completely normal. It's always something like this:

tumblr_l30ceuKkNX1qc5fy3o1_400.png

So Brian Ching has been drafted by the expansioner's Montreal Impact, even though he doesn't want to go. This should be interesting.

Back