[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,894 comments
Also, I noticed the Subaru 360 is listed as having an OHV engine. It's a two-stroke engine, so shouldn't it not have a valvetrain to begin with?

Just a mistake of mine probably - I'll have changed it to say OHV without realising that was only introduced a couple of years later.

And now, for the next release, there is another bug to fix found in the tuning menu because on all race cars the LSD part is fully customizable but it appears as "Normal" (or more properly as "not available/installed").
And of course, can you add the description for the '97 R390 GT1 race car using the one from the other R390 cars including the road counterparts and the extra 1996 Skyline GTS25 from its turbocharged GTS25-t counterpart?

The LSD isn't really a bug - those parts genuinely are the stock / normal parts for those cars. Whether those stock parts should be marked as stage 3 or something is a different question, and it's quite a lot of work for something that may turn out to have been done on purpose.

You'll have to specify which region and language you mean for the descriptions, as every language has its own incomplete set. The R390 doesn't have a description at all in most (all?) PAL languages and the US version uses the same one for all four, as far as I'm aware.

The R33 GTS25t description on the other hand is actually for the GT-R in PAL English at least, and the US English version says 'Skyline GTS25t' at the top, so they generally don't fit the GTS25.

Kudos to everybody that made this, with each revision of the mod I'm enjoying the game even more. And, as strange as it may sound, it starts to feel more and more like a true Gran Turismo game, all these bugs the vanilla version has are ruining the feeling of perfection and passion the other games (at least 1, 3 and 4) were made with, at least for me.

P.S: There are two things I noticed so far - the TOM'S T020, which is a turbo car, sometimes appears as an opponent in the Tuned NA races. I should've checked my information before writing this, it is indeed a normally-aspirated car - in real life as well.
P.S 2: There is a small typo in TVR's dealership description - it says "TrevorR" instead of "Trevor".

Last edited:
Can i ask whats with the ridiculous handling od the Motorsport Elise?
I don't know if this has been asked before, but will the vehicle stay like that?
It is a challenge to drive it and its fun on some tracks, but totally unusable or even almost impossible to drive properly on most tracks with tight corners that it becomes torture after a while..

Is that intentional?

Physics update issue. That's what happens when played at normal speed, which is half-rate. If you're using duckstation, then you should try Silent's 60fps cheatcode.

Physics update issue. That's what happens when played at normal speed, which is half-rate. If you're using duckstation, then you should try Silent's 60fps cheatcode.
So the vehicle handles better at 60fps?
Well thats an issue for me since im playing on the Playstation

Just a mistake of mine probably - I'll have changed it to say OHV without realising that was only introduced a couple of years later.

Okay, that's fair. Is it possible to edit it to say it's a 2-stroke?

Minor report, might be handy:
  1. Is the redline on both the catfish Camaro correct? I have a feeling they're way too high than real life
  2. There are still clipped textures on the Nismo 270R

Fixed torque curve being offset upwards by 500rpm, causing the car to make more power and less torque than intended.
I know this has a small impact overall, but these bugs are the ones that tend to annoy me most, so I'm really thankful that you've fixed them, even when I wasn't aware of them before.

The fact that some of these mistakes are present in GT3 and GT4 makes me yearn for a similar patch for those games. I already know there's plenty of gear ratio mistakes in GT4 I'd love to fix. I may have to look into modding to deal with some of those issues myself.

Anyway, I just installed Beta 7 last night and looked through some of the changes. I'm excited to play through the game again as I never quite finished it before. Thanks for all the hard work (and thanks to everyone who's helped out)!

Here smthng strange.
It says that in one of the changes you moved DB7 Coupes final drive ratio to 3.545, but while in game it still says the final drive is 4.933.
The car still has that awful top speed of
142 mph instead 185 mph

Is this just an oversight or?

Last edited:
Okay, that's fair. Is it possible to edit it to say it's a 2-stroke?

Probably, I might just revert it back to the blank it had there in vanilla though.

Minor report, might be handy:
  1. Is the redline on both the catfish Camaro correct? I have a feeling they're way too high than real life
  2. There are still clipped textures on the Nismo 270R

I'll make a note to have a look at the Camaros, but a lot of the redlines and rev limits are more ballpark than anything real, especially as it's so hard to find the actual rev limit of most cars. The 270R on the other hand needs a lot of work in general, it has broken reflections too.

The fact that some of these mistakes are present in GT3 and GT4 makes me yearn for a similar patch for those games. I already know there's plenty of gear ratio mistakes in GT4 I'd love to fix. I may have to look into modding to deal with some of those issues myself.

I shelved any plans for a GT3+ a good while ago as I lost any motivation to finish developing the necessary tools. GT4 on the other hand doesn't have a ton of interest from anyone in terms of tool development - as well as developing the first working VOL tool for it, Nenkai went a long way towards making all of the parts data editable but there are some critical issues still to solve. It does have a lot of potential though.

It says that in one of the changes you moved DB7 Coupes final drive ratio to 3.545, but while in game it still says the final drive is 4.933.

I've just checked the PAL Complete version, and it definitely has the 3.545 ratio on the DB7 - the Special Colour duplicate might be missing that fix though since I duplicated it a few years ago. I'll add it to the list to investigate.

I've just checked the PAL Complete version, and it definitely has the 3.545 ratio on the DB7 - the Special Colour duplicate might be missing that fix though since I duplicated it a few years ago. I'll add it to the list to investigate.
Mine is NTSC, and ur right.
Only the Special Colour variant has that old final drive. I just checked in-game.

The LSD isn't really a bug - those parts genuinely are the stock / normal parts for those cars. Whether those stock parts should be marked as stage 3 or something is a different question, and it's quite a lot of work for something that may turn out to have been done on purpose.

You'll have to specify which region and language you mean for the descriptions, as every language has its own incomplete set. The R390 doesn't have a description at all in most (all?) PAL languages and the US version uses the same one for all four, as far as I'm aware.

The R33 GTS25t description on the other hand is actually for the GT-R in PAL English at least, and the US English version says 'Skyline GTS25t' at the top, so they generally don't fit the GTS25.
Many thanks for your answers. Now, to clarify.
01. The fully customized LSD is by default installed on all race cars as the stock one but if someone enters to the List of parts section it appears as not installed. That's the reason I consider a "bug".
02. At least on the American editions, the '97 R390 LM race car is the only one with no description available unlike its remaining counterparts including the road ones.
03. On the American editions, the description on the turbocharged '96 Skyline GTS25-t has a minor mention to its NA counterpart that was discarted on the final releases of the two GT for the old PS console.

And on the other hand...
Another job I've been pushing along with is to revert the remaining 'localised' names for the Japanese cars in the Complete version. I've gone through Daihatsu, and Mazda too:
mazdadealer.png
On the American patch for the initial (v1.0) release (at least) it's still the "localized" names for the Mazda cars, especially the Roadsters.
Many thanks again.

01. The fully customized LSD is by default installed on all race cars as the stock one but if someone enters to the List of parts section it appears as not installed. That's the reason I consider a "bug".
02. At least on the American editions, the '97 R390 LM race car is the only one with no description available unlike its remaining counterparts including the road ones.
03. On the American editions, the description on the turbocharged '96 Skyline GTS25-t has a minor mention to its NA counterpart that was discarted on the final releases of the two GT for the old PS console.

And on the other hand...

On the American patch for the initial (v1.0) release (at least) it's still the "localized" names for the Mazda cars, especially the Roadsters.
Many thanks again.

The LSD in all race cars is a fully adjustable 'Normal' part, the adjustability isn't related to the upgrade level that it appears as. The Normal part appears as available and equipped by default. It's actually worse in my opinion for it to be listed as the Fully Adjustable part as that would show up as not purchased, as the code only 'purchases' the various non-Normal tyres for a race car and not any other parts.

I'll make a note to check the R390. The US GTS25t description on the other hand says at the top that it's for the GTS25t, so I think it'd be a bit weird to have it on another car with a different name. I would like to start editing the descriptions at some point, but it's an awkward job since they're images and not text.

The Mazda one is a nuisance - I went through all of the dealerships checking them before release, but I clearly missed specifically Mazda in the US version! I presume a file hasn't copied over properly during the build, I had a few issues with that - it's on the list to check for future versions.

Hey pez, since i noticed that a duplicate is used for the Special Coloured variants and can have different final drive ratios than the dealership ones, is to possible for them to have different weight or even horsepower?

Just like they had in GT1.

P.S. is it even possible to win a Black Castrol Supra GT in the Euro League?
Ive been restarting the event for the 15th time and still didn't get it, or
my luck is just pissy 😑

Last edited:
Is it possible for them to have different weight or even horsepower?

Just like they had in GT1.
I'm afraid that's factually wrong @Pisoj0012.
The special colored cars in GT1 are 100% identical in specs to their normal counterpart in every aspect. I wish they were made more special too though.
They can fully be edited to be anything, since they are entirely separate from the normal variant, however that's out of the scope of pez's mod since it is meant to brings the cars over as they were portrayed in GT1, or as close to it.

Last edited:
I have a question - is it possible to disable the ROM Computer upgrade for certain older cars? I think it will be more realistic if they can't get the upgrade since they don't have an ECU in the first place.

I have a question - is it possible to disable the ROM Computer upgrade for certain older cars? I think it will be more realistic if they can't get the upgrade since they don't have an ECU in the first place.
I think in this game it might be sort of considered a more physical adjustment in those cases. Just with the same part name.

Hey pez, since i noticed that a duplicate is used for the Special Coloured variants and can have different final drive ratios than the dealership ones, is to possible for them to have different weight or even horsepower?

As Sub mentioned above, they were the same as the stock version in GT1 other than having different paint colours and unique wheels. The wheels can't be ported over, and I figured that the Wheel Shop makes them redundant anyway. They're deliberately identical in GT2+, even down to using the exact same name as the original cars, to match how special colours are done in GT1 and GT3.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

It's always possible to add a stand-alone ECU and injectors in theory, something like Megasquirt. Forza handles this by replacing the name of the upgrade with 'carburettor' for certain cars (in the same way that it renames 'camshafts' to 'rotors'), but GT2 is too old to be that clever about it.

It is possible to remove those upgrades, but I'm not going to with this mod as it's not really a bug. As always though, all of the tools that the mod is built with are available on Github for others to use.

Can the AI also use upgrades ? Because even if the ROM upgrade was something else for some cars, deleting this might also make those AI cars with it added, not viable for some events.

Edit

I read the AI uses power multipliers, which while technically arnt upgrades like normally used, it is a similar effect for HP. So I guess what I previously said, wouldn`t matter then.

Last edited:
Can the AI also use upgrades ? Because even if the ROM upgrade was something else for some cars, deleting this might also make those AI cars with it added, not viable for some events.

Edit

I read the AI uses power multipliers, which while technically arnt upgrades like normally used, it is a similar effect for HP. So I guess what I previously said, wouldn`t matter then.

Yeah, they can use all of the upgrades but don't. I think it was probably time-consuming enough to set up 1200 opponent cars without getting into that sort of granular detail, hence just scaling power to a particular level per event, sticking on some tyres, and being done with it.

Having to redo opponent cars isn't too much of an issue though, I've had to do tons of them so far - every time there's a fix that changes the power of a car I need to tweak everywhere it appears as an opponent to stop it being too fast or slow. Enabling both Honda / Acura and Opel / Vauxhall also required going through every event which had both as opponents and choosing just a single one to appear. Almost every NSX / Integra / Opel / Vauxhall / Primera / S14 Silvia / 200SX opponent you see in beta 6 and 7 was hand-picked from the different variants available!

Ediiting which regional brand an event uses, is a good detail to add, now that you say this. As for the multiplier, I should of probably guessed this was something normally used by the computer, since it was also previously mentioned when you edited other things.

Last edited:
Would changing what cars can show up have a substantial effect on how much disc space is taken up?

The entirety of all the GT mode parts data and related text for a given language is around 228KB in size, so no, it would be virtually impossible to notice any change in it compared to the 650MB+ of other data on the disc.

It's always possible to add a stand-alone ECU and injectors in theory, something like Megasquirt. Forza handles this by replacing the name of the upgrade with 'carburettor' for certain cars (in the same way that it renames 'camshafts' to 'rotors'), but GT2 is too old to be that clever about it.

It is possible to remove those upgrades, but I'm not going to with this mod as it's not really a bug. As always though, all of the tools that the mod is built with are available on Github for others to use.
Thanks for the reply, pez2k!
The point about stand-alone ECUs is quite valid, I haven't thought about it.
I really just wanted to know whether the ECU upgrade (and all the other upgrades for that matter) can be disabled or not, because I thought they were hard-coded into the gamefiles and couldn't be fiddled with, glad to know there is a way.
If I only had the time to tinker with the necessary game files and tools, though... Those times are long gone for me.

The entirety of all the GT mode parts data and related text for a given language is around 228KB in size, so no, it would be virtually impossible to notice any change in it compared to the 650MB+ of other data on the disc.
Good to know. I wish some of the events had more variety for what cars show up but that's probably beyond the scope of this mod.

Thanks for your hard work on Beta 7! I was already happy with 6.1 and 7 just seems like a gargantuan improvement...now, just waiting until I can play with the Japanese soundtrack without having to deal with cheat problems :( Hopefully it will be included in a future release.

Last edited:
I wish some of the events had more variety for what cars show up but that's probably beyond the scope of this mod.

I think the AI can now use more cars than originally, especially for the Event Generator mode, even if not everything perhaps.

Back