[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,813 comments
I wish some of the events had more variety for what cars show up but that's probably beyond the scope of this mod.

I think the AI can now use more cars than originally, especially for the Event Generator mode, even if not everything perhaps.

pez2k, can you add a list of the additional prize cars you can win (like the Special Colour cars, the BMW E36 coupe etc.)? I'm having a hard time remembering which race has which prize car as an award. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello. In the change lists, I did not see a description that the Toyota GT-ONE Road Ver. '98 had increased power in Dealership from 591 hp to 600 hp, and in the garage from 593 hp to 602 hp. Is this a bug or should it be? Maybe I'm blind. (Screenshots are attached).

Attachments

• SCES-12380_2023-02-10_15-27-58.png
    SCES-12380_2023-02-10_15-27-58.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 33
  • SCES-12380_2023-02-10_15-28-04.png
    SCES-12380_2023-02-10_15-28-04.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 31
Hello. In the change lists, I did not see a description that the Toyota GT-ONE Road Ver. '98 had increased power in Dealership from 591 hp to 600 hp, and in the garage from 593 hp to 602 hp. Is this a bug or should it be? Maybe I'm blind. (Screenshots are attached).
This is probably related to the change which removed the conversion from metric to imperial HP throughout the game.

Exactly that. These are the actual numbers the game has always used, behind the scenes, and the reason behind the infamous "bug" (which it never was, just an oversight) where cars seemingly had more power in the car settings menu than elsewhere, and how supposedly you could enter a race with an overpowered car.

I started making a list of the prize cars you can get in this version of the mod. It is incomplete at the moment, so feel free to add more info:
UK Nationals Race 3 - Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 16V
German Nationals Race 3 - Audi A4 Avant 2.8 quattro
Japan Nationals Race 3 - Nissan Primera P11 2.0GT
American Nationals Race 3 - BMW E36 323i Coupe
Compact Car World Cup Race 3 - VW Polo 1.4 16V
Smokey Mountain South Race 1 - Daihatsu Storia X4 Rally car
Smokey Mountain South Race 2 - Lancia Delta HF Integrale Rally car
Smokey Mountain North Race 1 - Citroen Saxo VTS Rally car
Smokey Mountain North Race 2 - Renault Megane coupe Rally car
Green Forest Roadway Race 1 - VW Golf MK4 Rally car
Tahiti Maze Race 1 - Toyota CELICA 2000GT-FOUR (ST165) Rally car
Tahiti Dirt Route 3 Race 1 - Nissan Pulsar GTi-R Rally car
Tahiti Dirt Route 3 Race 3 - Toyota Corolla Rally car
Pikes Peak Hill Climb Race 1 - Toyota Celica GT-FOUR (ST205) Rally car
Pikes Peak Downhill Race 1 - Peugeot 306 Rally car
Smokey Mountain North Reverse Race 2 - Toyota CELICA GT-FOUR RC (ST185) Rally car
Tahiti Dirt Route 3 Reverse Race 1 - Mazda Familia GT-R Rally car
Tahiti Dirt Route 3 Reverse Race 2 - Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version III '96 Rally car
Lancer Evo III & Lancer Evo IV Rally cars - in some of the Dirt Events
Pulsar Cup - Nissan Pulsar VZ-R N1 with vinyls
Silvia & 180SX Club Normal Style - Nissan Silvia S13 Q's Special Colour
GT-R Meeting - Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 '91 Special Colour
Roadster Trophy - Mazda Eunos Roadster '93 (NA) Special Colour
DB7 Trophy Normal Style - Aston Martin DB7 Coupe Special Colour
Altezza Cup Racing Style - Toyota Supra RZ '96 Special Colour
Evolution Meeting - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV Special Colour
Impreza Challenge - Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan Ver.III Special Colour
Type-R Meeting - Honda Civic EK Type-R '97 Special Colour

Last edited:
I started making a list of the prize cars you can get in this version of the mod. It is incomplete at the moment, so feel free to add more info:
pez didn't include a prize car list precisely not to spoil players who are in their first playthrough with the mod enabled. I'd suggest putting that list in spoiler tags if you really feel like compiling one and sharing it here.

There is a prize car list on page 1, it just doesn't show which event gets you which car and I thought this might be helpful if somebody's looking for a particular car to win like I did. I'll put a spoiler tag on it anyways, but I'm sorry, I just don't get where the spoiler part is exactly.

Last edited:
Some people want to discover by themselves where they can get every new car. Either by playing the game normally, or just for the sake of hunting for them. Knowing what cars to find isn't the same as knowing where to get them.
It spoils the fun of it, that's all

@pez2k and Team

First of all - Thank you and Team for making this mod happen. You creating wonderful things guys!

I have a question:
Do you plan to add some additional functionality to the game? By functionality I mean add in arcade mode such race mode as Endurance mode where you can not only setup on which track you want to race with opponents, but also where you can choose opponents cars too. Is it possible and will you do this in future or it doesn't fit in your plans?

Do you plan to add some additional functionality to the game? By functionality I mean add in arcade mode such race mode as Endurance mode where you can not only setup on which track you want to race with opponents, but also where you can choose opponents cars too. Is it possible and will you do this in future or it doesn't fit in your plans?

Adding entirely new functionality is generally not possible - it would need the original source code of the game which there's no chance of ever getting.

Just about everything so far is simply edits to the game data instead of the code, e.g. the models, textures, car stats, and so on. The handful of code patches that I have managed to do for beta 7 are mostly all tiny changes, like changing a -1 to a 0 to fix the pre-race parts menu for the Vector W8.

Understood.

And one more question - do you have a discord server related to this mod? If yes, then it would be good to add link to it in 1st post too.

Last edited:
Will the Pennzoil GT-R in the Super license ever get changed to RWD like in the main sim mode or will it remain all wheel drive for just that one test?

Will the Pennzoil GT-R in the Super license ever get changed to RWD like in the main sim mode or will it remain all wheel drive for just that one test?
I believe cars in the license tests are staying as they are so as not to mess up the license tests themselves.

Exactly, yeah - re-recording license ghosts is far from a solved problem, and I'm nowhere near good enough at GT2 to be doing dev times. As far as I recall that test, it's probably not very noticeable that the car is AWD anyway. Other license cars have weird setups too like the RM Peugeots with only 2 stages of weight reduction, so I'm not too bothered by it.

Exactly, yeah - re-recording license ghosts is far from a solved problem, and I'm nowhere near good enough at GT2 to be doing dev times. As far as I recall that test, it's probably not very noticeable that the car is AWD anyway. Other license cars have weird setups too like the RM Peugeots with only 2 stages of weight reduction, so I'm not too bothered by it.
The car's AWD is pretty noticeable. The car understeers quite a bit and that can make it hard to maneuver through the test.

Also, what is up with the Tommy Kaira ZZ-II in this game? It looks incredibly off model compared to how it's represented in the later games. Did the ZZ-II even exist in any running form when this game came out?

Last edited:
Btw - if we sell our cars in game they have funny price (almost no cost). I don't know why, but if we will try to sell cars from or to friends memory card (I don't remember from which to wich card) then car's price will include all installed modifications and that means a good car price for sale.

Can this archiveable not only with memory cars, but in Career Mode (Simulation)? I mean can it be fixed in future releases of GT2 Plus?

The car's AWD is pretty noticeable. The car understeers quite a bit and that can make it hard to maneuver through the test.

Also, what is up with the Tommy Kaira ZZ-II in this game? It looks incredibly off model compared to how it's represented in the later games. Did the ZZ-II even exist in any running form when this game came out?
Probably not. My understanding is that the Tommy Kaira ZZ-II in this game pretty much only existed in a few different sketches, which were used as the basis for the car's looks and performance.

Now, the car that bore the same name in Gran Turismo 3 and onwards was a real, functional prototype and although the rights to build the car went through a few different owners after Tommy Kaira went bust, the latter ZZ-II never saw real serial production.

Btw - if we sell our cars in game they have funny price (almost no cost). I don't know why, but if we will try to sell cars from or to friends memory card (I don't remember from which to wich card) then car's price will include all installed modifications and that means a good car price for sale.

Can this archiveable not only with memory cars, but in Career Mode (Simulation)? I mean can it be fixed in future releases of GT2 Plus?
Selling a car in GT1 is at 60% is it's value, while in GT2 it's down to 25% of the value of the car. I can't say for sure for later games because i never bothered to check, but it's probably still around the 25% mark. That's an intended mechanic that we can't edit.
However, trading a car via memory card does indeed take upgrades into account, + the full value of the car. Also intended behaviour, since GT1.

Probably not. My understanding is that the Tommy Kaira ZZ-II in this game pretty much only existed in a few different sketches, which were used as the basis for the car's looks and performance.

Now, the car that bore the same name in Gran Turismo 3 and onwards was a real, functional prototype and although the rights to build the car went through a few different owners after Tommy Kaira went bust, the latter ZZ-II never saw real serial production.
Indeed you are correct, the ZZ-II in GT2 is based on an early sketch concept of the ZZ-II which was done by Design Apple on behalf of Tommy Kaira. There was never a running model of this, not sure they ever got as far as a 1:1 scale model either. But the design evolved into the model that ended up as seen in later GT games.

Yeah, I figured. I figured the one featured in GT3 was a real prototype (and we actually know what engine it has) but I knew it didn't get produced.

The ZZ-II in GT3 is actually a scale model - a real Tommykaira ZZ-II was never built. By the time they got to making one, the sportscar arm had already been sold to Autobacs, so the running prototype was actually the ASL RS01. About 15 years ago, the founder of Tommykaira bought the RS01, and within the last 5 years or so rebadged it as a Tommykaira ZZ-II.

The RS01 prototype debuted at the 2002 Tokyo show, a year too late even for GT Concept, hence why the GT3 rendition was fictional. It was also fibreglass-bodied, and thus probably 20% heavier than the planned carbon-fibre production car, but the drivetrain was from a Tommykaira R-z, so most likely close to the claimed power figures.

As mentioned above, the car in GT2 is one of the sketched options for the car's design, one of the more aggressive choices. Back then I don't think they'd even settled on a drivetrain, so it's very much an outline of what sort of performance envelope they were planning (600ps and turbo, about a tonne).

Yeah, I knew the car became the RS01 at some point. I wasn't aware of all the history. And I think even GT2's description even said the ZZ-II's drivetrain wasn't really finalized at that point. Also, Wikipedia says the engine's displacement is actually 2.7 liters (I think GT500 R34s also ran with that much displacement), but in game it says 2.6.

Also, Wikipedia says the engine's displacement is actually 2.7 liters (I think GT500 R34s also ran with that much displacement), but in game it says 2.6.

Yeah, that's a GT2+ change I need to revert at some point - it seems to be only recently that there was any mention of it being specifically the engine from the R34 R-z in the prototype, which is 2701cc (1mm larger bore and 2mm longer stroke than the production RB26 and the other R versions). It's not the exact same displacement that Nissan claim for the GT500 cars though (2708cc, stock bore and a 4mm longer stroke, which the 400R used along with a 1mm overbore).

Yeah, the 400R was 2.8 liters. I wasn't aware that the RS01/ZZ-II prototype used a Tommy Kaira R spec engine. I just knew it was the RB26.

Having a problem with my emulator. Currently it only displays .cue files and not .bin files. My xdelta patched gt2 file is a .bin file and only shows up as a bin. If i patch a .cue file and add it to the folder it does not boot. Is there anyway to have a .cue file in addition to the .bin like a regular psx game so i can launch it using my retroarc software?

Last edited:
Having a problem with my emulator. Currently it only displays .cue files and not .bin files. My xdelta patched gt2 file is a .bin file and only shows up as a bin. If i patch a .cue file and add it to the folder it does not boot. Is there anyway to have a .cue file in addition to the .bin like a regular psx game so i can launch it using my retroarc software?
If you have an existing cue file just edit it in Notepad to point to the filename of the patched bin.

If you have an existing cue file just edit it in Notepad to point to the filename of the patched bin.
Just figured it out, for anyone else having the same issue just copy the cue files and rename it to the same thing as the modified bin and it works

Back