[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,813 comments
I don't think there were ever any real concrete numbers released on the performance of the Monte Carlo Minis - obviously they didn't make anywhere near 240hp, but they're not the only racecars in the game with massively inflated power figures. I think it would probably be a bit useless at more realistic specs because I'm not sure it'd be fast enough to win any rallies, and racecars don't have performance upgrades in GT2. As you mention too, it would be mismatched with the version in the licenses, which would be a bit weird. There's only so far that I can go with realism changes sometimes.

Adding cars to the new car dealership requires a 3D render in Polyphony's style which nobody has managed yet, while adding them to the Special dealer requires a whole new menu page to be created for each one, which is also a lot of work. I also think that it would be a step away from Polyphony's design of having mostly 'surprise' prize cars that weren't shown off anywhere else. For viewing the mod's new content, there's the demo save in the first post that includes every new or revised car.

The E36 323i is actually already the 320i model, but tweaked a little bit and with the badges changed. As with the 2-litre Vectra, I didn't see the point in including both variants when something different like the A4 Avant could take that space instead. If the game supported an unlimited number of cars then I would be throwing in all sorts of stuff like that, but I have to pick and choose what takes priority, and in this case I went for the faster of the two E36 options.
Yeah, I kind of figured you'd keep the Mini as is even though the power is obviously overinflated.

Not asking you to do it, but do you think it would be possible to swap the Japanese ost with the us version? I once tried swapping the files, but only garbled audio came out as a result. Thanks for the patches!

I think it is possible, but the time lengths of the songs are hard coded. So, anything longer would be cut after a certain point.

However, i think its replay name should be corrected from "Rover Mini 1275S Mark I" to "Morris Mini Cooper 1275S Mark I" or "Morris Mini Cooper S 1275 Mark I". Also, as i've mentioned, the name of the Subaru 360 should also be corrected.

If anything, I'd probably change it to just 'Mini Cooper 1275S Mark I' to match the logo and garage name. I think prefixing it with Morris might be a bit confusing as there's no Morris dealership, even if it is technically correct, and it'd be too long to fit on the screen without dropping some of the other parts.

I didn't see the mention of the 360 as you presumably edited it in while I was replying - it not showing a manufacturer name in replays is intentional, as most or all of the Subarus have it omitted for space reasons so I wanted to be consistent. I've done this for a few other manufacturers too since space on the end-race screen is tight.

Not asking you to do it, but do you think it would be possible to swap the Japanese ost with the us version?

As above, the length of each track is hardcoded so the start and end points don't line up. It's a very frequent question, and still not possible to do unfortunately.

As above, the length of each track is hardcoded so the start and end points don't line up. It's a very frequent question, and still not possible to do unfortunately.

Thank you for the answer. I wish I knew more about the topic, but my first instinct would be to question if it's possible to change the rules that dictate the lenght of each track to match the J version, and then add the audio file. Again, I wish I knew what I was talking about! The J ost has always been something I cherished, but I know that if it was simple it would have been done already.

Thank you for the answer. I wish I knew more about the topic, but my first instinct would be to question if it's possible to change the rules that dictate the lenght of each track to match the J version, and then add the audio file.

The problem is finding and understanding that data in the first place - since nobody outside of Polyphony has the game's source code, all we have is the compiled code. That's basically millions of numbers, each of which could be part of a CPU instruction (the very lowest level operations, as simple as 'add two numbers' or 'read a number from memory'), or a number, or a numeric representation of a text character, and so on. Even with fancy analysis tools that can make decent guesses at what things mean, you still have hundreds of thousands of lines of unnamed and undocumented code to go through and figure out what relates to audio. I think the furthest anyone's managed to get was Silent (who's an absolute expert at this stuff) spotting something that might be related, but without knowing exactly what it was or how it worked.

Any chance that the garage/in race name on the Mercedes SLK will get shortened? The name is so long that the "Kompressor" suffix overlaps the race times and gaps on the results screen.

Yeah, eventually - there are probably a few others like that too. It's quite hard to predict the visible length of the names, so while I limit myself to less characters than the longest original name, some are still too long in practice.

Noticed this odd spacing discrepancy in the garage menu between the regular Pulsar VZ-R N1 and the special color variant. I think the one on the bottom is the special color variant.

Attachments

• pulsar.PNG
    pulsar.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 31
Noticed this odd spacing discrepancy in the garage menu between the regular Pulsar VZ-R N1 and the special color variant.

I moved the 'N1' bit to the first part of the name and missed one of the two. The difference there is just the difference between the width of a space and the gap that is left between the two halves of the name.

Uh, I am not sure how to state this, but I have an odd bug in certain events in this mod, where after finishing the race, and pressing the button to exit the results screen (the screen with the 6 cars' positions and their finishing times), the game would lock up, and throw me back into the menu, without ever going to the prize screen.

The amount of days would still progress, but treats everything as if I have quit the race, instead. No prize or trophy as a result (Those menus never show up). I've able to replicate this 100% of the time in the Gran Turismo All Stars event, funnily enough, at the Red Rock Valley race (no Speed 12 grinding for me :dopey:).

Tried two different cars, turned off various cheats, same result. Strangely enough, this HAD happened rarely and randomly in other events, but even then I'd just retry the event from the menu and then the bug won't happen again. This does NOT happen at the Special Stage Route 5 All Stars event, for instance.

Last edited:
Are you using an auto pilot code?
Nothing was changed in the way menus work as far as i know (it's pretty much impossible to do) so whatever it is must be from either the cheats you're using (have you tried turning them all off?) or maybe an emulation bug, though i've never gotten this behaviour just with emulation, usually it's because i was playing with the gamemode values.

Are you using an auto pilot code?
Nothing was changed in the way menus work as far as i know (it's pretty much impossible to do) so whatever it is must be from either the cheats you're using (have you tried turning them all off?) or maybe an emulation bug, though i've never gotten this behaviour just with emulation, usually it's because i was playing with the gamemode values.
Heh, my bad. turning off all of Silent's cheats (primarily the 60FPS, the Fully Detail AI Cars, and Slightly Higher Draw Distance cheats, they were the only ones being used during the glitch) made it work again. I had thought I turned off ALL cheats before, but... me = :dunce:
To be safe, I started stock settings on the emulator, no PXGP enabled or anything.

But... I wanted to see which of Silent's cheats in particular wasn't compatible with the mod, so... I am left a little more confused, since re-enabling the cheats and troubleshooting, and restarting the game? ...it looks like the 60FPS hack causes some instabilities with races abruptly quitting on you upon finishing/accepting the results instead of going to the replay. Although I am curious about what causes said instability while the other cheats don't.

All good, this is a great mod, and it's nice seeing the community for this game band together and support it to this day! Thanks for your concern.

Heh, my bad. turning off all of Silent's cheats (primarily the 60FPS, the Fully Detail AI Cars, and Slightly Higher Draw Distance cheats, they were the only ones being used during the glitch) made it work again. I had thought I turned off ALL cheats before, but... me = :dunce:
To be safe, I started stock settings on the emulator, no PXGP enabled or anything.

But... I wanted to see which of Silent's cheats in particular wasn't compatible with the mod, so... I am left a little more confused, since re-enabling the cheats and troubleshooting, and restarting the game? ...it looks like the 60FPS hack causes some instabilities with races abruptly quitting on you upon finishing/accepting the results instead of going to the replay. Although I am curious about what causes said instability while the other cheats don't.

All good, this is a great mod, and it's nice seeing the community for this game band together and support it to this day! Thanks for your concern.
I did a full playthrough a few weeks ago running all of Silent's cheats and had none of the issues you describe, I was on NTSC-J using the complete version of this mod. The higher draw distance/full detail cheats do require this though. The only issue with 60FPS is that license demos and the rally event ghosts don't behave correctly. May have been a different version of the game to me or maybe it was some settings you were running?

Last edited:
I did a full playthrough a few weeks ago running all of Silent's cheats and had none of the issues you describe, I was on NTSC-J using the complete version of this mod. The higher draw distance/full detail cheats do require this though. The only issue with 60FPS is that license demos and the rally event ghosts don't behave correctly. May have been a different version of the game to me or some maybe it was some settings you were running?
Hmmm. I was using NTSC-U v1.2...

Turns out it was me with a version mismatch for the 60FPS code! Strange, since I played the vanilla GT2 (NTSC-U 1.2) with this mismatched 60FPS cheat with no issues. Thanks for the heads up, though. A lesson in double checking everything.

Come to think of it, running the mismatched 60FPS code with GT2 Plus on this event yielded one more odd effect, the GT40's engine audio only played in one audio channel. Thought that was a worthy mention. I should've figured something, then.

Last edited:
I noticed in Arcade Mode, a lot of vehicles are mislabeled as 4WD for some reason. They don't actually behave as such though.

I noticed in Arcade Mode, a lot of vehicles are mislabeled as 4WD for some reason. They don't actually behave as such though.

The usual questions then: which game version, which mod version, which cars, does the unmodified game do it, are all other cheats / modifications disabled?

NTSC 1.2, GT2+ beta 7, with the combined disc mod. Disabling all the cheats seemed to fix it. So I guess one of the cheats did it.

Yeah - I don't want to discourage people from reporting issues with the base game or mod because it's useful to know about them so that I can fix them, but please be sure that it's not caused by other modifications or cheats. I can't do anything about those.

Theoretical question: is it possible to replace a car's engine sound with another engine sound that's already in the game?
For example - the C and E55 both sound like they have an inline-6, could they be made to sound like the Mustang GT or some other V8 car?

Theoretical question: is it possible to replace a car's engine sound with another engine sound that's already in the game?

Trivially easy, yeah - the problem is that once I start down that path, a huge number of cars have inauthentic sounds, and many of the sound sets change engine type between the different exhaust upgrades. Doing it properly would end up as a massive overhaul, and the game would still have fairly generic and anonymous sounds after that.

Makes sense. Thank you for answering! On a slightly different note, it amazes me how GT2's engine sounds can be absolutely generic or get it almost 100% right. For example, early Impreza STI models don't even sound like real cars in stock form, while the Venturi 400GT, which I drove for the first time just now, sounds quite similar to the real thing.

Hi!

I've a strange problem with beta 7..

Game is ok, i play it on NVIDIA Shield by Duckstation.

But, when i want to customize a car setting (Gear box for example), when i presse L1 to do it,

Game freeze, i can't do anything..

(US version 1.2)

Have you a tip? Thx for help!😉

Hi!

I've a strange problem with beta 7..

Does the original unmodified game do it, and does it happen with all cheats and other modifications disabled?

I can't give any advice on issues with particular platforms - the tuning screen works on a Playstation, so I presume it must be related to how you're running the game rather than the game itself.

Thx pez2k for your answer.

Yes, i play game with cheats enabled.

Here i work but tomorrow i will try as you said ; i'll try unmodified game and modified game without cheat.

I'll be back with more precisions.

Thx pez2k for your answer.

Yes, i play game with cheats enabled.

Here i work but tomorrow i will try as you said ; i'll try unmodified game and modified game without cheat.

I'll be back with more precisions.
👇
99% of the time, the cause is a cheat. Check your cheats folks!
Try disabling them and see if the problem is resolved.

Just 100% the game (ver 6.1) and have to say great job. I enjoyed it and for the first time completed gt2. Moving on to complete the arcade version now and just collecting cars. Bless those that posted the save with the license cars. Was only able to unlock the FTO lm after hours and the s2000. Cheated and decided to use the transfer function between memory cards to purchase the del sol LM, Ts020 and the 3000gt LM. thank you! Looking forward to the newest updates. Have not downloaded it but happy the game is getting regular updates. Will most likely download future updates.

PS: No glitches to report, the only glitches i encountered were the standard GT2 ones such as the two cars merging into one and bouncing off only happened a few times though.

Last edited:
Back