Modding and restoration discussion

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 702 comments
Okay, I'm back to doing some modding. More basic stuff though, I just did some color option edits.

First, I added back the scraped yellow color for the DB7 Coupe from the demos. It looks good. đź‘Ť
GT2 - Aston Martin DB7 Yellow.png

I did a color option update to the 1996 Castrol Supra, I applied the blue color option to the final model. I also copy/pasted the black color from MMRivit's palette edit aswell. :D
GT2 - Castrol Supra 1996 Blue 1.png GT2 - Castrol Supra 1996 Blue 2.png

I gave the 1997 Camaro SS the scraped colors from the test drive disc, which were the same colors from the Z/28. I of course made the mistake of porting over the beta wheels. That will be fixed, I just went back to edit the wheels as I'm writing this.
GT2 - Chevrolet Camaro SS Blue.png

The 1998 Mustang SVT Cobra now has the same color options as the GT. I wanted to be able to drive a SVT Cobra in green. :P
GT2 - Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Green.png

The Lancer Evolution VI GSR now has the scrapped red color from the 1st demo. Luckily, the top of the wing actually stayed red on the final model like the other colors. So, I didn't have to mess with the wing. :D
GT2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI GSR Red.png

Nice stuff. Did you alter the Yellow at all on the DB7? It looks more gold than it did in GT1 for some reason... or maybe that's just me.
Heh the red on the Evo VI is actually the Evo 5's, that's why the spoiler has white on it. But it's nice seeing an Evo in red for once.

Nice stuff. Did you alter the Yellow at all on the DB7? It looks more gold than it did in GT1 for some reason... or maybe that's just me.
Heh the red on the Evo VI is actually the Evo 5's, that's why the spoiler has white on it. But it's nice seeing an Evo in red for once.
Nope, didn't do a thing to the color. It was a straight-up copy/paste from the demo model.

Today's mod is the Mugen bodykit for the Honda Civic SiR-II (EG).

Files are here (v1.1 update, fixes dimming parts that shouldn't be dimming in shadows)

Changes from the base car are:
- Altered front bumper (lowered the front most vertices to be level throughout)
- Moved the Exhaust to the left side (part of the kit)
- Lots of little UV mapping adjustments to fit the changes

NOTES:
- Color might differ in a race compared to what you bought. Only way to fix that is to make an actual entry in the game's database (which I am not currently able to do).
- Silver has to be hacked in with cheats to be used, as the game will only recognize the first 5 color slots from the base Civic.

Known bugs:
- The DOHC Vtec logo flickers depending on the rotation of the car.

Here are the color codes (in hexadecimal) in case you need them:
White 31
Black 36
Red 62
Blue 70
Yellow 69
Silver 34

thumbnail2.png

Last edited:
@submaniac93 You've done it again! I love how your texture edit on that Civic looks! :D

---
I don't know if you guys have seen it or not, but I recently recorded a video showcasing the mods I've done plus the ones some of you guys created. I just uploaded a part 2 to this aswell that includes my newly created mods.

This includes some of the new stuff I haven't shown you guys yet. I went back and edited the final AE86 Sprinter Trueno models to include the scrapped colors from the demos. I also added a scraped, blue color for the Celica ST185 GT-Four and GT4 RC. I had to do some manual editing for the RC though, so the hood area needs slight improvement. I reapplied the scraped blue color for the 1996 Castrol Supra aswell along with keeping MMRivit's black color edit. :D

EDIT: I'm still doing a couple more color mods before I take another break from it. These are simple color palette ports from the beta models. I just recently finished placing the beta Tom's T020 MR2 colors from the Test Drive disc onto the final model. I did this as there were T020 MR2s that came in alternate colors to the default white in GT2.

Last edited:
I know B_rad88! has made himself a custom music playlist but I don't think anyone else knows much about it. Also right now, if i'm right, you can't add music to the game because the way B_rad88! has found to mod it requires your songs to be only as big as the one you're replacing maximum.
It would need further investigation, as that's a fairly undocumented area so far.

After a break from this, I went back and ported more beta car color schemes into the final game. Note for newcomers, just click on the tiny image if you want to see a bigger version of it.

Both 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT/GTOs now have their beta racing modification colors added to the final colors. Yeah, I kept the default colors for GT2.
GT2 - Mitsubishi 3000GT 1992 2.png

The 840CI now has its scrapped light green and yellow colors from the demos while still having the final game color options.
GT2 Mod - BMW 840CI Light Green.png

The same for the Mercedes-Benz SLK 230.
GT2 Mod - Mercedes SLK Dark Green.png

The scrapped yellow color option from the GT2 demos. Note, I actually does appear yellow when racing; yay!
GT2 Mod - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo II Yellow.png

Porting the beta Shelby Cobra colors was slightly confusing since there were color repeats.
GT2 Mod - Red Cobra.png GT2 Mod - Shelby Cobra Dark blue.png GT2 Mod - Shelby Cobra Green.png

GT2 Mod - Toms T020 Yellow.png GT2 Mod - Toms T020.png

EDIT: I will record another showcase as these aren't the only mods I have done.

Last edited:
Nice stuff :)
For the Cobra, that's because it uses the Mazda Demio GL-X's colors, so the duplicates are the colors which have the plastic bumpers on the demio :) A few other cars in the demos had that color choice.

Adding colors to the CDP/CNP files doesn't, but just that does not make the colors available for purchase, with any color added to the car that are outside the stock boundaries of the car's X colors will revert to the first color the car can have.
However, if you add color properly, the whole way, with changing the car data files, then... well I don't think that would change the car ID list, but it might throw off some cheat codes? I haven't really tested since adding colors the legit way is a hassle and only Pez has the "easy" tools so far because they're unfinished yet.

For the Cobra, that's because it uses the Mazda Demio GL-X's colors, so the duplicates are the colors which have the plastic bumpers on the demio
I know, I was just commenting on my confusion when messing around in the hex editor. I was tough for me to tell when a new color started. :)

Just thought I'd let people know that the airesoft.co.uk links seem to be down for some reason, so the first two useful links are unavailable.

EDIT: Nevermind, must've been something weird

Last edited:
So it's been a good few weeks since i've done anything modding-related. Been busy doing other shtuff (mainly modeling a NSX JGTC on stream :P).
But! I've gotten some inspiration for a "quick" (it really wasn't actually) mod I could do in my spare time.

So... well there has always been one car I felt was absolutely messed up, modeling-wise. The Peugeot 206 Rally Car.
Therefore here's a better version of it!

Random tidbit of info, the Race Mod for the 206 S16/GTi shares the exact same shape as the Rally Car (and is also wrong) apart from the spoiler. So I'm probably gonna alter that one as well at one point.

EDIT: Get the files here

Changelog:
- Altered front bumper
- Altered rear bumper
- Altered spoiler
- Lots of little UV mapping adjustments to fit the changes
- Recoloring of the taillights and the blue livery
- Added a missing hood vent

eq392ejhig69ca56g.jpg

Video:

Last edited:
I didn't know you could edit the model itself. Has model porting become possible?

Partly - I'm at the point of having GT1 models that GT2 Car Viewer can load, but not at the point where they will be fully functional ingame. There are too many unknowns regarding reflections and shadows currently for a proper port, but it's not an impossible task.

@Gamerjman19 Like pez2k said, it's not possible yet. What we can do, and what i'm doing is editing existing model data via hexadecimal, point by point.
@barrelroll Not entirely, no. The manufacturer would still be called RUF on the map, with RUF ads. What we can do is change the nameplate for each car (the image with the car's logo on it), the car's written name, and edit their textures to change the RUF logos into Porsche.
The menu stuff are images that we don't know yet where/how they're stored, so no editing on that end.

I have made an in-depth guide to texture modding for GT2, including the tools and programs needed, but because I think it would break GTP rules, i will not post it here. However, anyone interested, PM me and we'll find a way to get in contact outside of GTP.

I have a suggestion.
Recreate the Renault Espace F1 road version (plain version) no decals. and recolorable. sorry for my english.

I have a suggestion.
Recreate the Renault Espace F1 road version (plain version) no decals. and recolorable. sorry for my english.
Was there ever a road going version?
If you mean a normal non-F1 powered version I think it's a little bit harder to mod into the game because it will then require other tweaks to get the engine/sound/drivetrain right unless you use hybrid cheats.

Does anyone have any plans on making some of the Japanese race cars into other counterparts? Like turning the 96 Castrol Supra into the FET or SARD Supra, or the Zexel/Kure/Unisia Jecs R33 into a Penzoil, Calsonic, or Endless R33?

It's somewhere in my plans. Haven't gotten to do any of it. Also, it's very possible that the existing liveries can't be adapted into the other ones without extensive re-mapping, which is still not a thing.

Back