Modifying Playseat to GT/F1 hybrid?

United States
California
PumpinNumbies
I have a Playseat of some kind, got it off craigslist years ago. It's always worked great for me, and with some light modifying to the cushioning I've made it pretty comfortable.
While waiting for my new Fanatec DD+ setup to arrive in December, I've been staring at this chair and getting crazy ideas. I've watched some videos about custom form fitting foam molds.

Anyways, the Playseats have a very basic design in which it's 2 metal plates on the side, and they bolt to the bottom of the seat.

I was thinking, if I replace those side plates with something that has multiple holes/slots, and then use a bracket to shift the seat mount from the bottom to the side, you could then orient the seat at multiple angles and heights, both front and back.

Has anyone else had this idea, or attempted it? I just ordered parts I believe will work for what I have in mind and may post some photos as I go. Was curious if anyone else had done, tried, or thought of something similar?

I searched here, reddit, Google, and YouTube with no luck on this specific idea.

Here's a very rough image of what I have in mind, the white dots representing holes, of varying heights to allow the seat to be mounted to.
orca-image-1252361817.jpeg

Last edited:
Parts got delivered today. So I started playing around with the different orientation and alignments of the parts, and for the moment probably going to leave it like this to see how it feels.
I like the angle of the seat much better, need to get the wheel and pedals mounted for a serious fit, but the issue so far is the angle of the steering wheel is too flat, I'm going to have to get creative with an alternative to tilt it down.

Thought I'd share the before and after and a better representation of what I had in my mind when I started.

Before:
1000000699.jpg

After:
orca-image--1069488280.jpeg

Back