Mon 20:00-21:30 UK time - PC2 - Hosted by @IfAndOr - Please refer to new threadPS4 

Results from Laguna Seca

Laguna Seca MON.jpg

Here's the replays from yesterday's race from my perspective:

The start is incredibly tight, and the field races downhill for the Andretti Hairpin side by side. Everybody is well behaved and we all keep in line through the next couple of corners. @richroo gets slightly out of shape through turn 5 but catches the car skillfully 👍 A good line through the blind turn 6 gives me good traction up the hill, but @AndreasR in front cleverly positions his car to the left to take the inside line through the corkscrew. I push on the throttle paddle as hard as I can, determined to get alongside him and stay there in an attempt to have the better line out of the chicane. This is where my race unravels... :eek: @Don Mejillone swoops from the left side of the track to the right to position his car for the corner entry, a move I should have seen coming. But I'm too focused on my drag race with @AndreasR and too determined to brake as late as possible, to realize it. I slam on the brakes, but it's too late: I smash into the back of @Don Mejillone, spinning my car and robbing him of a potential podium finish :yuck: I'm really sorry, mate!
I find myself in 10th position behind newly signed teammate @Hygrade B, but quickly regain two positions thanks to small mistakes of the drivers in front. I then chase down @Sick Cylinder, who has great pace, but touches the sand braking for corner 3 on lap 4. Wanting to pass him properly on track, I give him a little (unintentional) push start to get back up to speed ;) I manage to sneak past under braking into the last corner.
@Harsk100 is the driver ahead of me, now. The gap remains constant but is just small enough to catch a glimpse of his car exiting some of the corners. This keeps me motivated to keep pushing and hope for a lapse of concentration on his part.
On lap 8, I run wide through turn 10, which automatically moves me into the pit entry lane. Well, I was planning to stop anyway :lol: When I exit the pits, I have a clear track ahead and start to push. I have no idea where @Harsk100 is, but I know he still need to make his stop. Starting lap 12, I barrel down the pit straight and see him accelerating down the pit lane. He has left his stop right until the end of the pit window. Oh boy, this is going to be a close one :odd: I didn't realize it at the time, but the TV replay shows he's caught out by the ultra tight and narrow pit exit hairpin, which gives me the extra couple of tenths of a second I'd needed to come out in front :dopey: But it isn't over just yet. He's glued to my tail for the next few laps, but I soak up the pressure and slowly build a gap.
When I cross the finish line, I'm back in 6th position with mixed feelings. It is a good recovery drive from 10th after my first lap escapades, but without them I feel much more would have been possible...

Last edited:
That race was a lot of fun! With the exception of 2 or 3 laps, my time was at least consistent. It was 1:42.xxx the whole way. I was hoping for a bit faster, as I think I had gotten under 1:41 in my practice races last week. I think @Sick Cylinder was faster than me all race, but somehow I was quicker in and out of the pits. On the second to last lap, I thought the race was over, and was overly cautious the last couple of turns. To my horror, the race continued. My cautiousness allowed SickCylinder to get right up on my tail for a good battle on that final lap. I won, but barely. A bit of luck there

I push on the throttle peddle as hard as I can, determined to get alongside him
It doesn't work like that you know. :P Although I think everyone has done it. Probably more than once.

I thought the race was over
Yeah that can catch you out. Although the timer has reached zero the race doesn't end until the leader has passed the finish line. Hint - If the leader is close behind you let him past, it'll save you having to do another complete lap. Unless you're battling with someone of course.

Shame I missed it but I thought I'd better keep an eye on the cat, after the anaesthetic she still wasn't quite sure on how many legs she'd got. Much better today though.

Hey @Sick Cylinder,

I just had an idea. The new season with the Lotus 49 is coming up soon, which I'm really excited for. I thought that maybe we could switch to the Lotus 49C midway through the season to reflect the technological advances of the time. It wouldn't mess with the Graham Hill tribute theme, as he drove in both cars, and give us the opportunity to experience two great racing cars in one season.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been around much guys, I've been having my driving lessons on Monday nights and just can't do that, eat dinner and race! Fortunately that's changing, I passed my test on Tuesday. RagingBull is getting married on Monday, so I won't be present then, but I'm going to become a regular once more from the week after.

P.S. not sure about Raging's attendance for the future, I guess it depends on if his chain will stretch enough for him to reach the sim rig after Monday :lol:

Hey @Sick Cylinder,

I just had an idea. The new season with the Lotus 49 is coming up soon, which I'm really excited for. I thought that maybe we could switch to the Lotus 49C midway through the season to reflect the technological advances of the time. It wouldn't mess with the Graham Hill tribute theme, as he drove in both cars, and give us the opportunity to experience two great racing cars in one season.

What do you think?

It's a nice thought WiSchmo! The early Lotus 49 (without wings) has a different feel from the 49C (winged) car and the tracks were selected to go with the earlier car - for example at Rouen, the rear of the car breaks away. I don't think PC3 / Revolution will be released for quite a while so we should have time to do a series with the Lotus 49C and if not we can try your idea on the new game.

Attached you can find my On-Board and TV Replay from the final race of the Formula Rookie season:

I don't have time for a write-up this week, but they're worth a watch. Lots of close racing with @Harsk100 and @AndreasR, and a prime seat to enjoy @AndreasR's and @Don Mejillone's thrilling battle at the end :D

Thanks Will.

I was running on 5th when my car lost control and spun out off track, thus relegating me to 9th from 10 drivers in yesterday's race. That was a good battle, despite of a less favourable result.

Nice pics @John Wells ! Wish I could've made it. Races start at 4pm my team, so it's always a bit iffy for me.

I took the Lotus 49 out for a test run this morning.....my goodness, I love that car! Hope I get to do some racing with you gentlemen!

Congratulations to all Drivers especially Champion SimbaLora AKA @AndreasR

Mon Rookie R8 Silverstone National.jpg

Next week we switch to the fabulous Lotus 49 (Note we are using the earlier model without wings) Free choice of numbers. Please indicate your number below as soon as possible to avoid disappointment!

More details on the Lotus 49 and Graham Hill to follow!

How are you doing? Hopefully you're less sick and feeling more like Sick now. :yuck:

Was it something you'd eaten or a bug of some sort?

Yes - I'm feeling more like Sick Cylinder now and less like a very sick Sick Cylinder which I was on Monday. Ironically I had my quarterly medical check that day and couldn't understand why I felt so bad - it was quite a relief when I started throwing up and realised it was because I was sick!

Congratulations to all Drivers especially Champion SimbaLora AKA @AndreasR

View attachment 895100

Next week we switch to the fabulous Lotus 49 (Note we are using the earlier model without wings) Free choice of numbers. Please indicate your number below as soon as possible to avoid disappointment!

More details on the Lotus 49 and Graham Hill to follow!

Are we using the default settings?
Just ask because I am trying to learn how to setup cars, even though I normally drive GT cars.

Hi - Is number 66 in the game & available if do can I have that?

Sorry - there is no number 66. There are 20 livery / number choices. I will post up the full list later.

Are we using the default settings?

Yes - It helps to keep the field closer and saves a huge amount of time for the racers.

Note - I have chosen race number 19 (yellow with a black stripe).

The new series is a tribute to Graham Hill the 1962 and 1968 F1 World Champion. He remains the only driver ever to win Motorsport's triple crown: Le Mans, Indy 500 and Monaco Grand Prix. His nickname was Mr Monaco after his five victories. Read more about him on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Hill

His autobiography "Life at the Limit" is one of the most entertaining and best ever written - now out of print, but available secondhand from Amazon etc. He wrote it while recovering from serious injuries resulting from a crash during the US Grand Prix.

Graham Hill Pic 1.jpg

Below Graham at Monaco in the Lotus 49B - note the tea tray style spoiler at the rear - aero was very much in its infancy. Also note the lack of Armco barriers and how close you could get for a good photo!

Graham Hill Pic 2.jpg

Back