Mon 20:00-21:30 UK time - PC2 - Hosted by @IfAndOr - Please refer to new threadPS4 

Results from Watkins Glen

Watkins Glen MON.jpg

What an awesome car–track combination that was! :D Here are my replays from yesterday's race at the Glen:

I decreased the size of the inlet a little to gain more visibility for right hand corners. Please lemme know if you can still see enough details in it.

So here we go: I really, really enjoy driving my Lotus 49 on this track and it shows. I qualify P3 behind the usual suspects for the front row ;) but 3rd to 6th place are separated by only 0.2s.
At the start, @beachboy6658 next to me misses his timing and moves before the lights turn green. He realizes it, slams on the brakes and hopefully avoids a time penalty. When the race does start, however, this gives me an advantage off the line and my starting position remains unchallenged. Having the extra space behind me, I break early for turn 1 to avoid any unnessecary shenannigans.
The leaders quickly build a gap and I expect to defend my position all race to @richroo, who had a great opening lap and is yearning for more. But wait: All of the sudden I'm catching up to @lancerevoo :eek: This is new and we will continue our battle for P2 for the next 20min. I love it!!! :D We trade places back and forth, often sponsored by yours truly, the slow down penalty. This is great stuff because we keep it fair, leaving racing room whenever it gets close (checkt out lap 9 turn 1 or lap 12 turn 11).
As the pit window opens on lap 9, I try the undercut but @lancerevoo is one step ahead and we dive into the pits simultaneously. Guess I'll have to get the job done on track, then :dopey:
It gets a bit hairy on the following lap: @lancerevoo loses traction through the fast Esses and I can't see his car through a cloud of tire smoke. When I do see it, I realize I'm heading for a collision. I slam on the brakes and am able to shed enough speed that, when I hit him, we escape without serious damage. A contact warning by the race director tells me to give back the position, and I do so on the approach for the chicane. However, @lancerevoo misses his braking point, and this time I have no remorse taking the position. I can't defend it for long, anyway, as we continue to trade places :P We even start making mistakes at the same time, but independently, like through the Esses on lap 13 :lol:
All the while, @richroo behind us creeps closer and closer as we squabble on track. I don't notice and am mightily surprised as my spotter tells me after the afore mentioned incident through the Esses: "Watch your mirrors! Right side!" :crazy: This is getting really interesting!
@richroo's pace is fast, but mine is a bit faster. But the difference is small and he's positioning his car well on track that getting back to P3 seems like a tall order. I see that he has trouble negotiating turn 10, the second to last corner, and make a mental note. When I get a good exit out of turn 9 on the next lap (lap 14), I decide to go for it, use the slipstream as long as possible and send it down the inside. He's leaving just a car's width of space but it's enough to literally slide past him. I just cannot believe the way this has worked, and my heart rate probably jumped at least 100bpm right there! :D
3 laps later, @lancerevoo has another moment through the Esses, this time losing control of his car completely. I don't ask twice, take 2nd place and stay there until the end, despite constant pressure from @richroo behind.
When I cross the finish line, I'm soaked and breathless, having enjoyed every single moment of this race! :gtpflag: This is the first race for quite some time where I don't have a minute to relax and I'm proud of myself that I managed to drive through it consistently. I'm racing for fun, not for results, but it does feel great to be on the podium again. I celebrate my season best finish with a dram of Ardbeg Uigeadail :cheers: Cheers to all of you and may the remaining races be as fun as this one!

Last edited:
It was a little unclear at the end of last week's race...

Is there any racing this Monday? According to the schedule there isn't and this is probably correct, but with the current virus restrictions I was just wondering if anything had changed?

^ @Sick Cylinder

(If there isn't I might just run something. We'll see)

Is there any racing this Monday? According to the schedule there isn't and this is probably correct, but with the current virus restrictions I was just wondering if anything had changed?

Good question!

The series was planned before the outbreak and I built holiday Monday's in because some people are busy with family or friends! Now that we are locked down because of this dreadful virus it probably makes sense to race!

Monday we will race at La Sarthe - the new track with chicanes - it works very well with the Lotus 49. We won't be using the Bugatti circuit as Graham Hill regarded it as a "Mickey Mouse track".

After the race I will be running some short test races on GTS for the 1965 Mini Cooper S (Group N100) and Group X cars (the cheapest is the Renault 8 Gordini - the others are Unicorn cars) - bring whatever you have. Track will be Goodwood.

I am planning some weekend races with classic cars on GTS during the Covid 19 outbreak - possibly fortnightly. Everyone - please let me know if you would be interested in participating!

Good question!

The series was planned before the outbreak and I built holiday Monday's in because some people are busy with family or friends! Now that we are locked down because of this dreadful virus it probably makes sense to race!

Monday we will race at La Sarthe - the new track with chicanes - it works very well with the Lotus 49. We won't be using the Bugatti circuit as Graham Hill regarded it as a "Mickey Mouse track".

After the race I will be running some short test races on GTS for the 1965 Mini Cooper S (Group N100) and Group X cars (the cheapest is the Renault 8 Gordini - the others are Unicorn cars) - bring whatever you have. Track will be Goodwood.

I am planning some weekend races with classic cars on GTS during the Covid 19 outbreak - possibly fortnightly. Everyone - please let me know if you would be interested in participating!

By GTS you mean Gran Turismo Sports Game ?

We are starting today? :)

No. Project Cars 2 races will continue as planned on Monday's.

I am planning some Gran Turismo Sport special events for weekends to fill some of the time when I would have been at the track watching real Historic racing. There is lots of online racing which people can watch, which is featured on GTPlanet - e.g. Formula One (F1), Touring Cars (GTS), Nascar (Iracing), GT3 (ACC) - but there is a lack of historic online racing, therefore I am working on a high profile event(s) which would be streamed with commentary so that anyone interested can watch - some race seats will be reserved for members of our race room with GTS. This is still at the test / design phase.

Morning should be online so If you have space available would like to race just message me. Hi Sick if you need a hand in testing with gtsport allways happy to help .

Hi Max - Yes, I will need help with testing on GTS. At the moment I am still grinding in an effort to get a D Type Jaguar - the grinding is one aspect which I find so irritating about GTS - love the graphics, hate the sheer amount of time I have to spend just to get a car I need!

R.I.P Sir Stirling Moss
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Yes - Very sad news. I had a GTPlanet free day on Easter Sunday, but received a call from a friend with the sad news. He lived a great life!

Mon Lotus 49 R6 Watkins Glen Short.jpg

We were over subscribed recently and there has been extra interest in this weeks race - from Modern La Sarthe. Therefore if the room fills @IfAndOr will open a second room for the Pro Drivers, while I will remain in the room with the Am Drivers and invite extra people - this will give us plenty of space for:

@nonka
@half_sourly
@Jakeysnakey
@slthree

etc.

Good luck all and stay safe!

Just a quick rules/ spec / eligibility check: I've read the opening posts; just want to make sure I colour between the lines.
If I choose a standard Lotus 49, change livery to something that accommodates a racing number, add the number 21, is that me sorted?
Thanks

Just seen the price of the jaguar and classic AstonMartin best get some credit lol.

Still downloading, hope don't have to ££££££s, to get a race car, like we did in old game. Don't mind, doing it in other games, but GT seems same.

Just a quick rules/ spec / eligibility check: I've read the opening posts; just want to make sure I colour between the lines.
If I choose a standard Lotus 49, change livery to something that accommodates a racing number, add the number 21, is that me sorted?
Thanks

Try to choose a number that hasn't already been taken - there is a list on page 1 of the thread. Don't worry if you are in a duplicate car. All the Lotus 49's have race numbers.

Just seen the price of the jaguar and classic AstonMartin best get some credit lol.

There will be alternative cheap cars whenever the preferred car is expensive so don't worry. Personally - for test purposes I try to have all the potential cars for test purposes, but I will probably just be able to afford the Jag - at the moment I've reached nearly 9m credits - the grinding is an absolute pain!

Did I not send you an invite, to practise room, opens about 19.30.
Hi John, yes you did. Thank you.

The race was a bit of a mess for me; I thought we were doing Rouen-Les-Essarts per the schedule on page 1, so spent time yesterday afternoon learning the track. Bit of a surprise when de la Sarthe showed up instead! I've been there in person to watch Le Mans, did the GTS track guide a while ago, but that was about it...

Anyway, spun off a few times (including lap one sympathy spin behind Sick), missed many a braking point and never got the hang of Mulsanne or the curves. Just glad I didn't take anyone off with me. Good fun though, thanks for setting it up.

I was a bit more at home with Goodwood; Sick, hope you got what you needed out of the test.

Back